Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Mar 2002, 20:23 (Ref:235929)   #1
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GP !!!

Apologies to those who have seen this already but we're interested in your views ???

Sent by post from BRDC 13th March 2002

The re-development of Silverstone continues with the full support of the Government, the FIA, FOM, the MSA, the BRDC as landowners and Octagon Motorsports as venue operators. All parties have invested heavily to ensure that the British Grand Prix remains at Silverstone for many years to come, supporting the UK motorsports industry as a whole.

Phase One of the masterplan for Silverstone is well under way, and visitors to the circuit will have seen progress on the new Silverstone by-pass and the new dual carriageway being built by Octagon linking the by-pass to a new boulevard entrance, with tarmac car parks to either side. Together with improvements to other internal and external access roads, new toilet blocks and enhanced traffic management plans, we look forward to reduced stress during this year’s event! Phase Two, which will provide for new pit and paddock facilities, a new media centre, and further access road upgrades, will commence in August, with completion scheduled prior to the 2003 Grand Prix. Estimated costs for the total re-development will exceed $60,000,000 with funding being shared by Octagon, the BRDC and FOM.

Regular Silverstone marshals will be aware that the old marshals campsite is currently being laid to car parks, enabling Octagon to reduce traffic congestion and satisfy FIA demands in respect of customer expectations. Therefore the facility to park caravans at Silverstone on a permanent basis will no longer be available. However, an alternative site, to the rear of Woodcote, is to be made available to marshals on an exclusive basis, during all race events. The site will be made available from the evening prior to any race event through to the last day of the event. Silverstone security will direct all visiting marshals on arrival at the circuit.

Octagon are currently (liasing) with the MSA as Organiser of the British Grand Prix, in relation to marshal’s camping facilities during the event. All attending marshals will be sent full details in the near future, direct from the MSA. The marshals will be provided with an exclusive campsite facility to the west of the Dadford Road and to the rear of the western car parks.

The field will be provided with hard surface roadways to allow for ease of access, and will be manned by 24 hour security at two designated entry/exit points. The MSA have advised Octagon of the total number of pitches required to ensure that the adequate provision is made, to include toilets and showers at each end of the facility. A marquee will be situated in an appropriate location in which signing on will take place. Octagon will provide buses to ferry marshals to and from the campsite and their post on track.

PLEASE NOTE THAT AS IS THE CASE ON ALL CAMPSITES, NEITHER THE LANDLORD NOR THE OPERATORS OF THE VENUE WILL ACCEPT LIAIBILITY FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGE SUFFERED, HOWEVER CAUSED.

Octagon Motorsports has assured the Marshals Working Group that it fully supports it’s aims and objectives, and, indeed, Mike Debono, Octagon’s Group Operations Director, who attended the recent meeting has agreed to take questions/comments via Pam Dearn at the BRDC – Pam.Dearn@brdc.co.uk. Also marshals should note that Octagon Motorsports have agreed to sponsor a Marshals Party during the Grand Prix as a thank you!

Over to you,
Old 16 Mar 2002, 13:24 (Ref:236437)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Well it would seem to me that the regular camp site (behind Woodcote) must be very close to the new bi-pass? So we know where the GP site is in respect to its predessessor? Am I right in thinking this is the campsite that is in front of the Jordan factory?

I am a little concerned that security will only be on the gates and not 'roving' as it has been in the past.
Old 16 Mar 2002, 19:36 (Ref:236643)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I have been following this thread on the mailing list with interest. Obviously I have no experience of Brands so I don't know if this is a good or bad thing, but would I be correct in saying that they're trying to "show willing"? Possibly I'm not reading it correctly, but there does appear to have been some attempt by Octagon to address some of the issues for last year.

Stephen - roving security didn't seem to help much last year from the posts I saw about it - people's tents getting robbed, marshal getting beaten up etc. Controlling access to the area would surely help this?

Sorry guys, I'm only going on what I've seen so far, so if I'm totally off the wall due to no experience with the situation, please feel free to tell me to shut up!

(oh hang on - it's you two...of COURSE you'll feel free to tell me to shut up )
Old 16 Mar 2002, 19:44 (Ref:236648)   #4
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steven, I think you have placed the campsite where I think it is, so where is the fun fair going? or is that lost becaise we are having a party?

EP, I believe you meant Silverstone instead of Brands. But you are right, Security has been laughable in previous years, and they have been controlling the entry points and patrolling the campsite, but still things have been stolen.
(BTW Happy St Patricks for the 17th )

Last edited by jase; 16 Mar 2002 at 19:47.
Old 16 Mar 2002, 21:29 (Ref:236804)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Cheers Jason. The guy who got beaten up Teri was on his way back from the fun-fair, not in the campsite itself. I guess the fun-fair might be canned this year if there's a lack of space huh Jason?

Teri, you are right, Octagon/MSA do seem to be trying to do things and I believe much of the unrest is for this year only while the works are being done to the roads and circuit. Where the campsite will end up being is still under discussion I believe. One thing is for sure, it will never be where it used to be as that will now be a car park!

By the way.....shut up!

Sorry, you asked for that one lol........
Old 18 Mar 2002, 11:10 (Ref:238249)   #6
georgie
Rookie

georgie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The GP

Having attended 12 GPs as a marshal, including the mudbath that was the European in '93, I'm afraid that I can't agree that Octagon are trying; I may be a synical old has-been, but when I read that Octagon are laying on a marshals' party to say thank you I just thought "OK, so that's the sop".

Not only will the campsite be further than ever away from peoples' posts but if the funfair continues - and I have no doubt that it will (the money factor, remember?), the chances of getting any kind of sleep when you have to go on duty at 6.30 in the morning will be virtually nil.

Now before you write me off as some kind of moaning minnie who doesn't know how to be tolerant, flexible and even to have a good time, up until a few years ago I treated the GP in the spirit of working hard and playing hard; a chance to meet up with old friends, see cracking racing and get together over a barbi and a few tins in the evening. Unfortunately, the goodwill which was built up amongst marshals over many years has all but gone out of the window. There is a lot of experience which has been allowed to drift away, the sport is the poorer for it, and I believe it's only a matter of time before it will need addressing by the higher echelons, because there just won't be enough marshals.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 12:31 (Ref:238305)   #7
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"The site will be made available from the evening prior to any race event through to the last day of the event"

So we get kicked out on a Sunday evening - Don't think I will be going to Silverstone again then - as I have no intention of undertaking a 3-4 hour drive towing a caravan after a full days marshalling.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 12:37 (Ref:238313)   #8
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
I've got to agree with Georgie, I too used to enjoy the 'crack' of the GP. The evenings spent sat around in large groups drinking vast amounts of ale and sharing 'war stories' with the guys and girls who you only saw once a year.

Well I'm finished with the GP now (in this country anyway), my tickets will go back this year and they can black ball me or whatever, I don't care. It's taken this situation for me to realise how much of the fun has disapeared from the GP weekend.

I'm quite sure there is a SEMSEC meeting that weekend at Lydden so I will probably go down there and marshal for a club that appreciates it volunteers.

My hope is that this years GP is a complete farce and I know I shouldn't say things like this but it would be summary justice if they lost the GP after this year and Bernie relocated at Paul Ricard.

Nuff Sed
Old 18 Mar 2002, 13:11 (Ref:238341)   #9
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Georgie, I see you found the site OK.

Along with Georgie and Pinki, I found the Spirit of the meeting was the socializing that went on in the evening and as has been said "Work hard, play hard". Some of the guys you'd be on post with you might only see once or twice a year.

For me the Ocatgon party is Too Little, Too Late. My goodwill has gone, and if you lose the goodwill of your volunteer's, does it affect how they perform their tasks? I think so.

Hopefully the campsite will be within the circuit boundry in future, as Stephen has said, the current position does sound like a stopgap measure, I hope so. But something will have to be done by Octagon/MSA, because if we feel that the campsite is unsafe, like Pinki, how many will be sending their passes back, or saying that this is their final year?
Old 18 Mar 2002, 17:36 (Ref:238541)   #10
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
EP, I believe you meant Silverstone instead of Brands.
Yep Sorry about that - too much chatting with Mr. Green has given me Brands on the brain!

As I said, my comments are based purely on what I've heard from others as I haven't done a GP. But having said that, based on reports from marshalling colleagues who have done it, it was never on my list of things I intended to visit.

I do find it odd that the British GP seems to have such a bad rep - as I've heard good things about other European GPs. From a marshalling perspective, I can't wait to get a chance to get over the water, meet up with a few online friends and make some new ones and generally have a good time - but whatever event I can manage to wangle my way into, the GP isn't even on the list.

It's a shame that the British GP, instead of being the pinnacle of the marshalling calendar with all of us clamouring to get a post, has turned instead to something to be avoided.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 18 Mar 2002 at 17:37.
Old 18 Mar 2002, 21:45 (Ref:238767)   #11
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I must admit I got a sinking feeling when I got the letter. I'm going this year (the first time for 4 years - wasn't invited by BRDC MC, so switched back to BMMC) and I'm sad that all the things I enjoy about te GP weekend sound like they're gone.

As an aside, I'm certain Silverstone will struggle more than ever for marshals for their 3 day meetings, thanks to the new campsite arrangements for the rest of the meetings. Just seems to be indicative of the increasing marginalisation of officials by "professional" racing in the UK.

Roll on Sunday for the BARC Classic clubbie at Thruxton. It been 6 months I NEED RACING!

Last edited by Marshal; 18 Mar 2002 at 21:46.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 17:50 (Ref:240324)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Flagman,

In answer to your comment about having to leave on the Sunday night after the GP. I believe that refers to 'normal' meetings and not the Grand Prix. I could be wrong so maybe one of the regular Silverstone guys could answer that one as I have planned to stay over on Sunday night myself.

Stephen.
Old 20 Mar 2002, 20:31 (Ref:240390)   #13
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
Stephen, I believe Flagman was talking about meetings throughout the year. I used to stay over til mondays quite often when I marshalled up there. On your point of staying over after the GP this year, I just hope you don't get lonely
Old 22 Mar 2002, 16:07 (Ref:241697)   #14
Flagman
Racer

Yes - I was refering to the 'real' race meetings such as the GT's and Historics - not the GP specifically.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 19:59 (Ref:255935)   #15
GCP
Rookie

GCP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP

I am going to marshal the GP for the first time as I normally marshal a different track. Can someone answer some silly questions.

What is food like
What are shower facilities like
What time are you normally on post for

I'm sure there are more but that's all I can think about at the moment.
Old 9 Apr 2002, 20:55 (Ref:255985)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Food is what you take with you mainly although there are shops during the day, burgers, chicken n chips etc.

Showers are mixed (not men and women) but sometimes good, sometimes not.

On post...ready? 7.30 on race day I seem to recall, then you sit around like dumplings waiting for those everso nice chappies in blue blazers with FIA badges to drive round and check you are awake.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 12:11 (Ref:256353)   #17
Flagman
Racer

..and then you sit around for some more - then a few cars come out and wizz past at such a speed that you cannot see the numbers.

Then you sit around for some more...
Then some cars come out etc

and then you sit around for some more...

and eventually someone tells you that you can finish for the day.

Then the exiciting bit - you STAND around for some time till the bus comes to pick you up - having been passed by several busses that are already full - That is the ones that haven't got stuck in the gravel trap at Club corner cos they didn't have enought lock to get round.

Then you queue up for a shower - coz all the ones on the earlier buses go back first.

Then you light the barbie - and get covered in soot and fat etc.

Then you drink some beer/wine/whisky
Then you try to go to sleep

Then the alarm clock goes off and you repeat the above process.

The the big day comes - much the same except that you have to get up even earlier and there is a lot more time to sit around and a lot more noise from posh poeple coming in in helicopters.

Eventually the number of helicopters reduces and some cars come past weaving about to wear out their tyres

Then they all (well probably not all..) come round again not weaving so much (except that is for that red one that has a loose nut behind the steering wheel).

This happens some more times until all the cars get nicely spread out round the circuit so every one gets to see something.

Then the ones driven by the rich drivers start to catch up with those driven by the not so rich drivers and then some voice from race control keeps telling the thing in your ear to give a blue flag to car no x - but as you cannot see the numbers cos the cars are whizzing past too fast its not much fun.

Eventually the cars stop coming round and the helicopters start flying the posh people home.

Then you sit around for some more while the men in blue blazers etc. get covered in fizzy wine stuff.

Then at last the real action begins - the PROPER GP cars come out - you know them ones that used to race a few years ago - and this time you get to decide which ones you wave the blue flags at yourself coz the voice talking in your ear has probably gone home already to miss the queue to get out.

Then you stand around again waiting for a bus...

Eventually you get back to the camp site and pack up to get in the queue to go home - vowing that this is defintely the last time you will bother doing the GP.

Then in October the volunteering forms arrive for the next GP and you still think - I'm not going to bother - but then Mrs Flagman suggests that we could take the caravan somewhere else that week and have a proper holiday...

So next year to do it all over again - cos hey - this year you might just be lucky and see an exciting GP.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 13:16 (Ref:256436)   #18
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellently put!

It's a shame that nobody from the FIA will read it or understand the irony!
Old 10 Apr 2002, 14:20 (Ref:256492)   #19
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Maybe you should forward it to Uncle Max or Dastardly Bernie?
Old 10 Apr 2002, 16:05 (Ref:256553)   #20
rick vaux
Racer

rick vaux should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They only speak pound notes.
Old 10 Apr 2002, 18:40 (Ref:256656)   #21
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine This !!!!

just imagine.........at an International Race........
turn up at the track on Thursday afternoon, walk un-escorted into the driver's paddock, (no passes!!), and meet your favourite driver.

you sign-on on the Thursday evening........
Free food,Free Clothing (T'shirts,Long sleeved shirts and Hats) Free beer !!!!!!

Friday,
park alongside the transporters having shown no passes and walk to briefing......
get given free breakfast.
Having done practice sessions, walk around the indoor paddock with no restrictions.
Lunch is delivered free to each post

Saturday,
Same as Friday !!!

Sunday!!!! The Big Race !!!
Just the same except for more security. Now got to park 50 yards from transporters and paddock :confused:
Work the race, have great time, then get invited to attend any other races of same series!!!!!

We are now both working the CART race at Rockingham and will sign-on through CART !!!!

All this and we had a great vacation aswell!!!

F1???????? been there, done that! Will never do it again!!!!

So, what did all this cost, or who did we know?????

Cost:
No more than an average yearly vacation (accomodation was £100 p/w for an apartment), and contacts?????
Just got them from the website and away we went!!!!
Old 10 Apr 2002, 19:36 (Ref:256697)   #22
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
I say bugger the GP, Let's go hillclimbing
Old 10 Apr 2002, 20:12 (Ref:256728)   #23
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Black crow!!!!! where do you Hillclimb, of Lover of Uphill Racing !!!!!
Old 11 Apr 2002, 11:15 (Ref:257137)   #24
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Pinki, given the recent comments from Newn will you be changing your mind ref the GP this year?
Old 11 Apr 2002, 12:07 (Ref:257192)   #25
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
Nope, 'fraid not Stephen. Even if the caravan hadn't already gone to a new home I still wouldn't change my mind. I've had it with the GP in this country now and to be honest I can't see how I've managed to carry on this long, it just isn't the same as it used to be. With regard to clubbie meetings at Silverstone, well I wont say that I will never go back but I will not be withdrawing the apologies that I have sent for this year. I'll stick to circuits down south again, for the time being anyway.

Nuff Sed