Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 30 Mar 2011, 19:51 (Ref:2856053)   #126
FFfan
Racer

FFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFFfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlDashlx View Post
hey guys, just wondering first off how much will it cost to actually start karting for fun, going to open days and maybe everntually competing. not planning to go hard out...im a 2nd year apprentice earning around 400aus a week if that helps at all.

Im also from Sydney Australia as well..

i know gear cost quite a bit but i do already have a helmet which i use on my bike.

ive been looking at karts on ebay going for under 1g, i dont really know specs and stuff about go karts but i know they would be as fast as eastern creeks karts, if anyone could tell me how much roughly hp a kart has or needs to race please lemme know.
please lemme know how much tyres, repairing and stuff costs roughly doesnt have to be accurate im not gonna be racing so wont have to get new stuff every week.

i think i just have f1 fever...cheers!

Hi there. I don't know too much about karting in Australia coming from the UK but this might be a useful place to start http://www.karting.net.au/

The other piece of advice that I would give to anyone in the UK is to get yourself along to a local kart meeting or two or three if possible (easier in the UK than Aus I should imagine because of distance) see what goes on and talk to people. You'll see different classes racing, people will be able to give you an idea of costs and you'll start to understand what you might be letting yourself in for.

Unfortunately karting like all motorsport karting is not cheap but it is still one of the cheapest places to race and the racing itself is pure fun.

Good luck!
Old 30 Mar 2011, 20:59 (Ref:2856082)   #127
jjordan
Racer

jjordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FFfan gave you some good advice. You will find Kart people are very helpful and will guide you on what is important and what is not. First decide which kind of racing is done in your area (road race, sprint, dirt, etc.) then visit some kart shops (many have or know where to find used equipment). Then go out to the races, volunteer as a corner worker or such, talk to as many people as you can. Find out which classes are growing in your area and which are not. Find out what the minimum you need to get started and then jump in, remember to ask questions, don't be afraid to ask for advice or to borrow what you don't have. Remember, everybody was the "new guy" at one time, you will be surprised how supportive most karters are. Happy Motoring!
Old 30 Mar 2011, 22:20 (Ref:2856109)   #128
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus will be the man to advise on Oz, Il PM him.
Old 1 Apr 2011, 08:07 (Ref:2856678)   #129
xlDashlx
Rookie

xlDashlx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheers guys, i think the tuesday of every month theresa go kart meet at an indoor track, though dunno how good it is or if they hire out the place. but will def go and ask.
Old 2 Apr 2011, 22:36 (Ref:2857566)   #130
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Hi xlDashxl,

The first thing you need to do is work out what type of karting you want to do.

I race Sprint karts in Southern NSW and I spent about $4000 - $5000 to get me going.

The initial outlay is expensive but once you have the kart , trailer , suit , tools and licence the running costs can be relatively low (I usually budget for about $100 per meeting , thats fuel , entry and a odds and sods)

Tyres can be expensive (around $250 a set) but you can get some good life out of them.

Here is Oz if you want to do Sprint karting with little effort I would suggest a TAG engine such as Rotax , leppard or Fireball. Push button start and your away.

The best bet for you would be to go to your local track and watch and learn and ask questions and just get involved (find the club president , make yourself known and that you would like to help out in some way and you are looking to get into racing of some form , they will be glad to help you out , they are always after flaggies or scrutineers or even just a pit gate marshall and will help you get started if thats the way you want to go)

I have a Rotax 125cc engine which I think produces 28 - 30 bhp , doesnt sound like much but at my local track it can whip you along at around 100 - 115 kph
I have also been told that if I gear my kart up I can reach speeds of 175 kph at a place like Winton (WOW , havent actually tried this or seen it done but that would be awesome)

I dont know much about indoor karting but hey as you said go and ask and start off there (im sure they are alot slower than a sprint kart but a good place to start and if you want to move on you can )

Anyway thats it , get out there and get the answers you want from the people in the know and if you do decide to go for it enjoy it like there is no tomorrow

CHEERS
Marcus
Old 7 May 2011, 21:02 (Ref:2876466)   #131
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has anyone got any thoughts on which karts are worth a serious look at to race in Honda Cadets ?.

My son has had 8 months now in the Bambino Club Championship at Buckmore Park but will turn 8 years old in a couple of months and he wants to move up to race Honda Cadets. Were looking to get him a good kart and wondered what anyones thoughts are if they have already been there ?. Weve been looking at the Project One Honda Cadet as have heard quite good things there, anyone want to put down their ideas I would be grateful.

This all seems a lot to take in when first starting karting and my knowledge of it isnt where i need it to be yet so i would be hugely grateful for any advice if you wish to offer it. Many thanks .
Old 15 May 2011, 21:41 (Ref:2880804)   #132
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
when i used to watch the Honda Cadets in Super 1, the Project 1 chassis was the chassis to have mate, i cant imagine they have dropped off over the 3 years
Old 3 Sep 2011, 22:56 (Ref:2950535)   #133
adam1312
Rookie

United Kingdom
North East England
adam1312 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to Start Karting

What is every step you need to take from having no experience to getting a national A karting licence?
Old 4 Sep 2011, 08:18 (Ref:2950604)   #134
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
Adam, we've been through this before.

1) go drive some hire karts
2) go get your own kart, then practice a lot
3) go take your arks test, this will give you a provisional national b licence.
4) race at your local club for a year, this will give you your signatures to upgrade to a full national b licence
5) the next year race at, at least another 3 uk tracks, then IF you get the required finishing positions in the races THEN you can upgrade to a national a licence, but you need plenty of experience and wins at msa level to get your national a licence.
Old 24 Oct 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2976148)   #135
chris197
Rookie

England
lancashire, england
chris197 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
need advice please fellas

hello i need some advice i have been racing stockcars since i was 11 until i retired for a couple of years and started again so all in all ive been racing for 10 years (just relised im old!)
i am thinking of starting karting i am 24 years old very competetive but i have gained a bit of weight these last few years im about 16 stone and i dont have a massive budget but i want to be able to go out have fun with a chance of winning and have a laugh at the end of it so which would be the right series for me and roughly how much per season are we talking?
(im used to being in the garage 5/6 days a week!)
ALL ADVICE IS GRATEFULLY RECIEVED THANKS CHRIS
Old 25 Oct 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2976670)   #136
dwf1
Racer

United Kingdom
Penkridge, Staffs
dwf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris197 View Post
hello i need some advice i have been racing stockcars since i was 11 until i retired for a couple of years and started again so all in all ive been racing for 10 years (just relised im old!)
i am thinking of starting karting i am 24 years old very competetive but i have gained a bit of weight these last few years im about 16 stone and i dont have a massive budget but i want to be able to go out have fun with a chance of winning and have a laugh at the end of it so which would be the right series for me and roughly how much per season are we talking?
(im used to being in the garage 5/6 days a week!)
ALL ADVICE IS GRATEFULLY RECIEVED THANKS CHRIS

Are you wanting to own your own kart or to just arrive and enjoy the racing?
Old 14 Nov 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2986457)   #137
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Son wants to start karting, a few questions.

Hi guys, took my lad to the local karting centre for his first spin and needless to say he is eager to get racing, i was just curious as to weather there is a series like club100 for cadets, my lad is 10 by the way. I am sure you can appreciate i am a bit loathe to spend an absolute fortune on gear in these current financial times so i was thinking get a few arrive and drive practice sessions in at the local center, Ipswich, and see if there is hire kart championship for next year if he still fancies it, any thoughts, advice much appreciated.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 07:40 (Ref:2986567)   #138
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think there is to be honest.

I would enquire at your local kart centres about any junior championships they run (if at all). That will at least give a competative environment to learn the basics for a year or 2 and give ample time for you and him to work out if it's something you want to pursue.

Failing that, i'm not sure how much it would be to pick up a 2nd hand cadet (someone will be along to fill in my blanks) for use at test days etc. But that's a cheap enough way to get bum-in-seat time. You just need storage and some mechanical skills.

Peat
Old 15 Nov 2011, 11:02 (Ref:2986647)   #139
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Red Lodge karting over near Newmarket have this that might be of interest? http://www.redlodgekarting.com/topkatz.html

They also run Non-MSA series and you would be surprised how cheap you could pick up a Honda Cadet or such for that. Give them a shout.

There are club only championships for younger kids - I know Coast2Coast karting down in Hayle where Im from run a championship so I expect there will be one somewhere near you.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2986648)   #140
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Think he will be too young for their own 270 championship but give Red Lodge a call - details here of the 270 series and contact numbers http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128891
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2986935)   #141
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers guys, Red Lodge is only about 1hr away so may well pop over for a look.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 13:27 (Ref:2987221)   #142
kart_racer
Rookie

England
UK
kart_racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Depends what kind of karting you want to do.

As he is young, continue with the Local indoor place, maybe take some of his friends so they can have some fun together. A little competativeness will show through and you can see how he compares with the other lads.

Red Lodge I believe still run ''Top Katz'' Junior karting club which offers tuition and lots of track time.

Worth looking into before you delve into the big boy stuff of MSA racing.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 18:43 (Ref:3048954)   #143
LH1800
Rookie

LH1800 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mechanics at Club Races

Do you need a mechanic, like a farther, at every race or ca you turn up and take he kart to the pits and the teenage driver puts fuel in and tyres on. Then drives when its there heat/race.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 21:27 (Ref:3049039)   #144
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I don't venture on this kart thread but could you please rewrite this in an eligible form that can be understood ?
Welcome to the forum by the way !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 Mar 2012, 22:31 (Ref:3049067)   #145
EastonNeston
Veteran

EastonNeston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All under 18's need to have a parent/guardian present at the track for minor to be allowed to compete. Some adults are at the track on their own, but will need assistance with lifting the kart to & from their pit trolley.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 08:08 (Ref:3049215)   #146
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
could you please rewrite this in an eligible form that can be understood ?
Or maybe a legible form? Pot, kettle. . .
Old 27 Mar 2012, 11:04 (Ref:3049318)   #147
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Parent/Guardian needs to be in possesion of a MSA PG Licence if the driver is under 18 years of age (new for 2012)
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:29 (Ref:3049370)   #148
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
Or maybe a legible form? Pot, kettle. . .
It was my sense of humour Dave. it obviously went over your head
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Mar 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3049521)   #149
LH1800
Rookie

LH1800 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry difficult typing quickly on an iPod when you have big fingers. I would have a parent there but not always one who could act as a mechanic, so sometimes it would just be me to do that stuff so would that be a problem I'm, 15.
Old 29 Mar 2012, 07:26 (Ref:3050308)   #150
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LH1800 View Post
Sorry difficult typing quickly on an iPod when you have big fingers. I would have a parent there but not always one who could act as a mechanic, so sometimes it would just be me to do that stuff so would that be a problem I'm, 15.
There would be no problem at all.

Under the age of 18, you always need to be with somone over the age of 18 to be your 'guardian' for say a accident happens or you are penalised.

You dont need a mechanic if you can do it yourself, but you will need someone to help to lift your kart.