Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 29 Apr 2007, 00:50 (Ref:1902476)   #1
karimbo
Veteran

Canada
Montreal, Canada
karimbo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
How does a seamless shift gearbox work?

In Formula 1 this year every competitive team is running a seamless shift gearbox. I would like to know how it works. Could anyone explain me what is the difference between a seamless shift gearbox and an automatic gearbox.

I know that John Barnard introduced the semi-automatic box on the Ferrari with the shifters in the early '90s. Then, a few years later came a gearbox shifted all by itself: it allowed the driver to race the car like a kart. Then the rules brought back the shifters on the steering wheel. So today I would like to know:

1) Is a seamless shift gearbox the same as a CVT (continously variable transmission?

2) Do drivers have to shift gears themself.

3) How many gears do these transmission have?

4) Do they have discreet ratios?

Thanks in advance
Old 29 Apr 2007, 01:02 (Ref:1902480)   #2
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Karimbo you might find this to be of some help?

http://www.zeroshift.com/pdf/RcarN6V15_Zeroshift.pdf
Old 29 Apr 2007, 03:18 (Ref:1902499)   #3
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theyre a development of the current gearboxes, in short. Still 7 speed, semi auto, driver shift controlled. Theyve just been modified so that the power isnt cut during shifts.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 04:26 (Ref:1902507)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karimbo
1) Is a seamless shift gearbox the same as a CVT (continously variable transmission?
No, it is'nt , because if it was it would be illegal, it has been banned ever since Williams tested it in 1994(it was to fast), now the car is in the VDT factory.

http://www.cke-tech.com/graphics/CVPST/CVT-test_car.jpg
Old 29 Apr 2007, 15:35 (Ref:1902722)   #5
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
In Formula 1 this year every competitive team is running a seamless shift gearbox. I would like to know how it works. Could anyone explain me what is the difference between a seamless shift gearbox and an automatic gearbox.
These are called sequential gearbox. Which also have electronic shifting no mechanical linkage.

BMW calls it thier SMG gear box. Porsche has their triptronic sequential gear box.

Many ppl call them "paddle shifters"

Info on differnt transmission:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ear_manual.htm

1) Is a seamless shift gearbox the same as a CVT (continously variable transmission? SEQUENTIAL

2) Do drivers have to shift gears themself. YES, right paddle UPshift, Left Paddle downshift

3) How many gears do these transmission have? 6 for road cars, 7 for F1 cars

4) Do they have discreet ratios? Road cars, yes, for the most part. Race cars the gear ratio is depended on the race circuit.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 29 Apr 2007 at 15:38.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 18:10 (Ref:1902791)   #6
Monstrobolaxa
Rookie

Monstrobolaxa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen
No, it is'nt , because if it was it would be illegal, it has been banned ever since Williams tested it in 1994(it was to fast), now the car is in the VDT factory.
]
Actually it was tested in 1993...by David Coulthard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto

The seamless shift works in a very simply way...there is a point where 2 gears are selected at the same time....but one of them is ratcheting (the one to be selected) and when the driver clicks on the paddle the gear to be selected locks and the previous gear ratchets when the torque is applied to the selected gear.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 18:50 (Ref:1902847)   #7
ChironWSC
Rookie

United Kingdom
Worcester UK
ChironWSC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
These are called sequential gearbox. Which also have electronic shifting no mechanical linkage.

BMW calls it thier SMG gear box. Porsche has their triptronic sequential gear box.

Many ppl call them "paddle shifters"

Info on differnt transmission:

http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ear_manual.htm

1) Is a seamless shift gearbox the same as a CVT (continously variable transmission? SEQUENTIAL

2) Do drivers have to shift gears themself. YES, right paddle UPshift, Left Paddle downshift

3) How many gears do these transmission have? 6 for road cars, 7 for F1 cars

4) Do they have discreet ratios? Road cars, yes, for the most part. Race cars the gear ratio is depended on the race circuit.
Karimbo

The above statement is not correct AU N EGL is only talking about a sequential gearbox the Zeroshift is explained by Monstrobolaxm correctly. Basically 2 gears are selected together then I would think there are various way of changing to the second gear. There was talk of fitting 2 clutches in the gear box to select each engaged gear not sure if this was banned. Basically the Zeroshift means zero time that the gearbox is not driving the car. What has changed is the time it used to take for the selector ring to disengage from one gear and engage in the next gear.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 20:11 (Ref:1902945)   #8
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChironWSC
Karimbo

The above statement is not correct AU N EGL is only talking about a sequential gearbox
HELLLOOOO????? That is what I said, Sequentials.
Old 29 Apr 2007, 20:25 (Ref:1902962)   #9
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
HELLLOOOO????? That is what I said, Sequentials.
Except that the question wasn't about sequentials as such, but the particular sort of sequential called "seemless shift" or "Zeroshift". This type have no gap at all in power delivery while the gear is being changed. As I understand it F1 has banned a zero time lag, but the technology is still used with a deliberate pause of the minimum allowable gap (or maybe that was the rule and its changed. Expert help anyone? Adam?) Anyway, I seem to recall that the main problem with using the truely seemless gearboxes is that the near instantaneous change in rotational speed of the output shafts, and hence wheel rims, gives the tyre walls some serious grief.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 07:46 (Ref:1903176)   #10
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChironWSC
There was talk of fitting 2 clutches in the gear box to select each engaged gear not sure if this was banned.
I dont know if it was banned or not, but the function of having 2 clutches is basically the principle behind Volkswagens DSG gearboxes. The seamless gearboxes are different than the DSG boxes apparently, and the explainations already provided seem to back that up.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 16:14 (Ref:1903531)   #11
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
To try and answer this as succinctly as possible:

Quote:
No. CVT's do not have discreet gear ratio's, F1 gearboxes all do.

Quote:
2) Do drivers have to shift gears themself.
Yep, they still have the paddles.

Quote:
3) How many gears do these transmission have?
I believe most, if not all, current F1 team use 7 forward gears in their transmissions.

Quote:
4) Do they have discreet ratios?
Yes.

As far as I know, the main difference between yesteryears "semi-automatic" and this years "seamless shift" gear boxes is about the use of the clutch, not the gears themselves.

In a normal semi, like with a normal gearbox, the clutch disengages whilst a new year is put into place, then re-engages the new year. This means there is a time (in an F1 car, a few milliseconds) where there is no power going directly to the wheels.

In a seamless shift box, there is no such time. I'm not entirely sure on the mechanism behind this, but I would imagine it could well be something like using two clutches (or more) so that for a period both gears could be engaged simultaneously, although only one would then be connected to the wheels. This would allow for there to be no momentary loss of power to the wheels when changing gear.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 30 Apr 2007, 20:48 (Ref:1903745)   #12
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
I'm not entirely sure on the mechanism behind this, but I would imagine it could well be something like using two clutches (or more) so that for a period both gears could be engaged simultaneously, although only one would then be connected to the wheels. This would allow for there to be no momentary loss of power to the wheels when changing gear.
No its entirely cleverer, and indeed simpler, than two clutches. It's all explained in the link from Jeremy in the second post
Old 7 May 2007, 11:52 (Ref:1908277)   #13
carlo8
Rookie

carlo8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure you are right dtype38
All evidence i've heard so far is that the type used in f1 are based on the twin clutch/twin shaft idea
Old 7 May 2007, 17:58 (Ref:1908438)   #14
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Errr... ok, you got me there carlo. I "thought" that the seemless shifts used in F1 were a version of the Zeroshift, but I'm not prepared to put any money on it! Depends on your understanding of the terminology, but you could say that the dog engagement system of the Zeroshift is a twin clutch system.. sort of! Do you have any references for the system you refer to?
Old 7 May 2007, 18:19 (Ref:1908450)   #15
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 is definitely not using Zeroshift boxes. I believe they are using Dual Clutch technology, which gives an upshift time of approximately 40ms, downshifts a little longer. The Zeroshift box, uses overunning clutches and doesn't have a viable shift quality yet.
Old 15 May 2007, 10:24 (Ref:1913772)   #16
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
AFAIK they're not using twin clutch or zeroshift.

The option being used is based on a weismann system that uses a modified sprag clutch arrangement to allow the next gear to overrun the current gear.

This means you still have one input shaft, one output shaft, and one friction plate clutch between the engine and gearbox.

Ben
Old 15 May 2007, 10:51 (Ref:1913796)   #17
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe Red Bull racing were using Zeroshift technology in Spain last weekend for the first time. How does it work? Ask Coulthard, who lost third gear towards the end! Teething problems only, I am sure.
Old 17 May 2007, 16:11 (Ref:1915428)   #18
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
I believe Red Bull racing were using Zeroshift technology in Spain last weekend for the first time. How does it work? Ask Coulthard, who lost third gear towards the end! Teething problems only, I am sure.
Red Bulls new system was simply the same as other teams have already been running for a while; the "seamless shift" gearbox. The entire thread is about that, and there's so far no consensus as to which technology it uses, but I'm pretty sure its not the zeroshift technology talked about above.

Of course, if you just use zeroshift as an interchangable definition for seamless shift, then it goes without saying, but that's kinda pointless.
Old 18 May 2007, 08:36 (Ref:1915859)   #19
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
Red Bulls new system was simply the same as other teams have already been running for a while; the "seamless shift" gearbox. The entire thread is about that, and there's so far no consensus as to which technology it uses, but I'm pretty sure its not the zeroshift technology talked about above.

Of course, if you just use zeroshift as an interchangable definition for seamless shift, then it goes without saying, but that's kinda pointless.
Thanks for the reminder of what this thread is about.

I heard Martin Brundle used the word "Zeroshift" in his commentary, so maybe he has inside information. You seem to know a lot of F1 inside information; are you connected to a team and do you know for certain that Red Bull Racing don't use the "Zeroshift" system?

I would be surprised if the "Zeroshift" mechanism hadn't at least been considered by an F1 team, if not implemented.

Last edited by phoenix; 18 May 2007 at 08:41.
Old 18 May 2007, 09:53 (Ref:1915896)   #20
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
Its not uncommon though for those "inside" F1 to come up with their own terminology. How many times was Renaults mass damper refered to as a "tuned mass damper" or something along the like.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 01:04 (Ref:1938074)   #21
billkirbywofb
Rookie

billkirbywofb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"How does a seamless shift gearbox work" -- I suspect that there are a couple of F-1 teams still trying to figure that out.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 08:29 (Ref:1938194)   #22
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
Particularly at Red Bull!