Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 9 Aug 2002, 12:47 (Ref:353916)   #1
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What is Toughest Track

What is the toughest track for drivers?
Old 10 Aug 2002, 04:23 (Ref:354429)   #2
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Last year I had an opportunity to meet Dale Jarrett and Sterling Marlin at an Outback Steakhouse pre-race function for fans at Kansas Speedway.

When I asked Dale Jarrett this, he said,"Good question" and then he quickly said, "Sears Point" then paused and said "Pocono and New Hampshire."

When I asked Sterling Marlin said "New Hampshire, New Hampshire and New Hampshire!"

Back in 1997 or 1998, I got to meet David Green before the Pepsi 400 as part of my Grand Prix Tours package. I asked him the same question and he thought Sears Point (pre-Bruton Smith changes) was one of the toughest tracks he raced on due to all the blind corners and elevation changes. Others he mentioned were oval tracks Dover and Charlotte, however, he added that he mainly named Charlotte because he never had real good luck there.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Joe Fan; 11 Aug 2002 at 23:54.
Old 10 Aug 2002, 11:40 (Ref:354549)   #3
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Joe Fan...Wow, very interesting response. I am surprised at most of Jarrett, Marlin, and Green's answers. I would have thought that Darlington was the toughest track for most drivers. Our driver loves Sears Point. She had the fastest lap of all drivers during one race at Sears.
Old 10 Aug 2002, 16:53 (Ref:354682)   #4
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by muggle not
Joe Fan...Wow, very interesting response. I am surprised at most of Jarrett, Marlin, and Green's answers. I would have thought that Darlington was the toughest track for most drivers.
I was too but I think Darlington carries such a reputation of being tough that it might be macho not to chose it. Or maybe drivers get more testing there and know going in what its reputation is, so they are more mentally prepared for its challenge. At any rate, it is still one of the toughest tracks as I remember David Green telling me so when I pointed this out as a surprise.