Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 29 Jan 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3361728)   #2501
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, likely because of how many breaks they've gotten in the last two years whilst running in WEC... Further support for the merger between GT classes in my eyes though.

Can't say I'm crying a river for them, but would be a shame for them to quit.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 18:48 (Ref:3361732)   #2502
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AMR is shamefull enough already... is true, other cars obtained bop breaks, but the vantage GTE was already the lightest car (1225kg like 991 RSR) and the restrictors size is basicly the same of bmw, viper and porsche. To me the vantage GTE has already too much waivers. More than cry for bop, maybe prodrive had to develope a more usefull low drag rear wing. At Le Mans the vantage wasn't able to cross 290km/h, at daytona had a top speed worse than Z4 GTE... that giant rear wing (other waiver) wasn't a lot helpfull.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 19:08 (Ref:3361748)   #2503
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Good spot. They probably know this better than anyone so looking for a break knowing they'll already be strong at Sebring.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3361756)   #2504
carbon_titanium
Veteran

carbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcarbon_titanium should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really don't know, 2012 and 2013 sebring races for AMR have been quite disappointing
Old 29 Jan 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3361757)   #2505
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the best thing IMSA can do is ignore how the cars performed at Daytona and try to balance things based on the February Sebring test.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3361791)   #2506
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
So where does this leave us for Sebring and beyond? My best estimates: Daytona car count 67 (18 P, 9 PC, 11 GTLM, 29 GTLM) against a car cap of 68 for that race. The car cap is also 68 for Sebring, but there's an addition and some subtractions versus the Rolex 24 grid:

P: 17 reasonably firm
1 uncertain: GAINSCO. Can the Red Dragon be replaced?

PC: 9 reasonably firm
uncertain: anything beyond that

GTLM: 10 reasonably firm (Team Falken Tire joins the party)
uncertain: 2, Aston Martin, Risi due to damage

GTD: 27 reasonably firm, presuming all damaged cars are repaired. The #72 SMP/ESM Racing and #65 Scuderia Corsa were Daytona-only entries.

So we’re looking at between 63 and 66 entries as of now. So there are spots for between two and five more cars at Sebring. Who will step up and fill out the grid? There don't appear to be any GTLM options and the GTD reserve list is depleted. So additional entries must come from the P or PC categories. Possibilities:

P: Greaves, if they found someone to rent the car for the race. 3rd Action Express? 8Star? Project Libra?

PC: 2nd BAR1 Motorsports? Level 5? Pickett Racing? JDC/Miller? 8star?

Am I missing anything?
Old 29 Jan 2014, 20:30 (Ref:3361795)   #2507
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Mystery Honda-DP-team, assuming it isn't Starworks.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 21:00 (Ref:3361815)   #2508
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Even if many of the most damaged cars cannot be repaired or replaced, there should be enough cars at Sebring to make for an excellent race, and with so many more corners and much shorter (and flat) straights, traffic will be a much bigegr issue, so smart driving will make a big difference---IndyCar ringers might have a tougher time.

I expect Sebring to be a better race that the Rolex---so long as The Management leaves it alone. People who don't like long yellows better start lining up alternate entertainment streams, but while they are actually racing, I expect about constant action.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 21:20 (Ref:3361826)   #2509
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
I'm 99.9% sure it is Starworks though.

Two GTD possibilities I forgot: The mystery GTD TBA entry (Nissan, presumably run by Muscle Milk Pickett) and Turner Motorsport have said that they want to run a second BMW Z4.
Old 29 Jan 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3361828)   #2510
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Wasn't there a recent story that the GTD Nissan will only make its debut about mid-season? And not with Pickett, but with a different team?
Old 29 Jan 2014, 21:47 (Ref:3361839)   #2511
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
Even if many of the most damaged cars cannot be repaired or replaced, there should be enough cars at Sebring to make for an excellent race, and with so many more corners and much shorter (and flat) straights, traffic will be a much bigegr issue, so smart driving will make a big difference---IndyCar ringers might have a tougher time.

I expect Sebring to be a better race that the Rolex---so long as The Management leaves it alone. People who don't like long yellows better start lining up alternate entertainment streams, but while they are actually racing, I expect about constant action.

Could that be more properly the MISmanagement? I'm with you there - if they mess with Sebring too I'm done, me, my wallet and my TV rating go elsewhere. The event has the potential to be excellent, hope it plays out.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 05:15 (Ref:3361934)   #2512
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Wasn't there a recent story that the GTD Nissan will only make its debut about mid-season? And not with Pickett, but with a different team?
I think the latest updates had it debuting mid season but I didn't hear anything indicating it wouldn't be Pickett.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 05:19 (Ref:3361936)   #2513
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
Could that be more properly the MISmanagement? I'm with you there - if they mess with Sebring too I'm done, me, my wallet and my TV rating go elsewhere. The event has the potential to be excellent, hope it plays out.
They already messed with Sebring. NASCAR bought everything and got rid of P1. You're ok with this but you're done if there's a caution call you don't agree with?
Old 30 Jan 2014, 08:52 (Ref:3361984)   #2514
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
The Risi car has to be a write off so it's all about when they can get a replacement chassis
Old 30 Jan 2014, 11:16 (Ref:3362037)   #2515
Koenigsegg
Veteran

Netherlands
Netherlands
Koenigsegg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Delta-ADR said they will run an Oreca 03-Nissan at Sebring.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3362095)   #2516
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
The Risi car has to be a write off so it's all about when they can get a replacement chassis
Last report (Tuesday) they still didn't have the car back from IMSA's crash investigation team. No word yet on if it's written off.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 13:52 (Ref:3362107)   #2517
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
They already messed with Sebring. NASCAR bought everything and got rid of P1. You're ok with this but you're done if there's a caution call you don't agree with?
Not really - Sebring is indeed already compromised, in the same way as the Rolex field was the best since 2001, the Sebring field will be near the worst and the LDWB looks to be a series fixture. If the racing is "managed " as it was at Daytona(for the last 10+ years)and if the announcing is no good even the crowd atmosphere will not be enough to save it for me.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3362151)   #2518
jeast
Racer

jeast User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Seriously I loved P1 at Sebring. I was at Daytona this year and their was nothing that got me excited like seeing P1 cars it was pretty boring.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 16:16 (Ref:3362164)   #2519
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
What I heard was two Starworks DP Honda but one run by RML.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 16:20 (Ref:3362167)   #2520
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDSM View Post
Last report (Tuesday) they still didn't have the car back from IMSA's crash investigation team. No word yet on if it's written off.
I didn't think the Risi car survived. I would hope it did because it's been hard enough on Risi. The Ferrari 458 is just such an unlucky GTE car in america. What's the deal? Why can't they put a full race together (well they won VIR) because that car is quick enough to win and has gone the distance at Le Mans.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 16:48 (Ref:3362175)   #2521
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let me be the first to publicly chuckle at the idea that Project Libra might actually show up.
Old 30 Jan 2014, 20:26 (Ref:3362246)   #2522
TheMightyM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
Let me be the first to publicly chuckle at the idea that Project Libra might actually show up.
Well, the relatively low car counts in P and GTLM outside of the NAEC events make it very likely that TUSC would grant Project Libra an entry for Long Beach and Laguna Seca if the team applies...

Last edited by TheMightyM; 30 Jan 2014 at 20:53.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 02:25 (Ref:3362355)   #2523
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I think the latest updates had it debuting mid season but I didn't hear anything indicating it wouldn't be Pickett.
It sounds like the initial plan was that it would be Pickett, now it's equivocal - could be them, could be someone else. That's my read anyway.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 02:45 (Ref:3362359)   #2524
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
I didn't think the Risi car survived. I would hope it did because it's been hard enough on Risi. The Ferrari 458 is just such an unlucky GTE car in america. What's the deal? Why can't they put a full race together (well they won VIR) because that car is quick enough to win and has gone the distance at Le Mans.
I wonder if this team might consider hitting the reset button so to speak and go with a Ferrari GT3 car for GTD.
Old 31 Jan 2014, 03:02 (Ref:3362365)   #2525
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't see that happening at all.