Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 14 Jul 2011, 12:57 (Ref:2926546)   #101
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have just picked up a new clutch unit for the old car. Nothing fancy this time just an uprated single plate diaphram clutch with kevlar centre plate as the way I am looking at it all these fancy pieces are not that relevant when racing on hard narrow tyres if I do drop the clutch at 5000rpm it will just sit there spinning so whats the point. A friend of mine runs and drives his Firebird to the track with a similar piece and its been in there 18 months! He told me just ease it off the line and you will be fine and he mends the things for a living.
Old 14 Jul 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2926692)   #102
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sunday looks OK, we will get soggy Saturday though.

Mike, haven't seen the last couple of stages but I follow the Tour avidly. Saw the chap leap into the barbed wire of course. Ouch indeed! How's your foot BTW? Running Saturday?
Old 14 Jul 2011, 18:10 (Ref:2926698)   #103
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Sunday looks OK, we will get soggy Saturday though.
Mike, haven't seen the last couple of stages but I follow the Tour avidly. Saw the chap leap into the barbed wire of course. Ouch indeed! How's your foot BTW? Running Saturday?
Watching TdeF now. The barbed wire thing made me wince- a bed of nettles would have been a (slightly) better landing... Worst I've done was headlong into some brambles- and not a ripe blackberry in sight!

Yup, will be running walking hopping the 5km as neccessary. Suppose you will not be doing it now in case your new trainers get muddy

Talking of mud, changing bike tyres from semi slicks to 'mud & snow' tomorrow just in case!
Old 14 Jul 2011, 19:55 (Ref:2926760)   #104
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
P.ss.d down a few times in Tasmania and the TR made it through all that - sure we can make it to Stoke Row on Sunday came hell or high water. The XK may just stay in the garage though, not because I'm worried about the car, but getting baby Freddie wet on his 'day out with Dad' could do untold long-term damage! Don't worry Iain, the alternative transport is still of 'motorsport interest' to some degree!
Old 14 Jul 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2926773)   #105
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Strewth Mike, that's a bit pro, changing tyres. I only have one set. A bit like my race car TBQH.

Alas my new trainers haven't arrived yet But it could be a great excuse. It's number one in the book isn't it? "Wrong compound".
Old 15 Jul 2011, 07:22 (Ref:2926934)   #106
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Getting very excited as the day draws closer. Very disappointed not to get a mention in Autosport."C'est La Vie". Going out with Duelathlon organizer this morning to put up the route sign's. Still short of smoke machine for when we introduce the Stig's brother the "Twig".P A system arrives today,straw bales Saturday. Looks like we will have plenty of Pit Stop Teams.The weather is looking better as well.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 07:31 (Ref:2926937)   #107
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well am I coming or not Ian, I need to cut some graphics and print out a poster and do some finishing off Saturday if i am so please let me know whether still required (BTW my last post about clutch should have been in the teabreak thread sorry about that I only just noticed)
Old 15 Jul 2011, 07:51 (Ref:2926940)   #108
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Blimey now I have even spelt yer name wrong, I am really in bad books, sorry!!!
Old 15 Jul 2011, 08:28 (Ref:2926953)   #109
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Getting very excited as the day draws closer. Very disappointed not to get a mention in Autosport."C'est La Vie".
Wasn't for the want of trying Iain, I assure you.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 12:21 (Ref:2927046)   #110
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry John not directed at you at all. Al I would love you to come.Just back from duelathlon track.Brilliant.Its not too hilly.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 12:53 (Ref:2927064)   #111
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
OK see you there, better get working cutting some decals to replace the ones those nasty CSCC blokes skinned off the side of the car!
Old 15 Jul 2011, 13:28 (Ref:2927074)   #112
midgetman
Veteran

>>>>>>>>>>Its not too hilly

That is great news in the middle of a fairly grim day. A positive ray of sunshine
Old 15 Jul 2011, 15:45 (Ref:2927119)   #113
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Sorry John not directed at you at all.
Well, the buck stops with Kev who has to juggle stuff every week within space constraints so I will take the flak for him and I'm sure you will be exceptionally nice to him at next Friday's Barbeque.

Incidentally, is anyone going to take some decent pics of this event?
Old 15 Jul 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2927142)   #114
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post

Thats me out then. I believe that grantp is attending so hopefully he will be reeling off the odd snap or two......

Car loaded into trailer in case the rain comes. Just got to sort out the bike tyres and will be good to go!
Old 15 Jul 2011, 17:22 (Ref:2927146)   #115
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Well, the buck stops with Kev who has to juggle stuff every week within space constraints so I will take the flak for him and I'm sure you will be exceptionally nice to him at next Friday's Barbeque.

Barring accidents. the country being shut down for H&S reasons or whatever people might come up with I should be there.

May even have a working camera.

I went to rotate the battery in the main camera ( I use 2 batteries so always have a spare) and the charged one, er, wasn't. In fact it was totally dead and not even recognised by the charger.

So yesterday I popped down to my favourite supplier and they swapped it for me as a warranty item (which it is). Stuck the brand new one on charge last night. Nope, that's not working (except to overheat on the charger) either.

I'm beginning to think that certain cameras can be even more temeramental than race cars - and nearly as expensive!

Fortunately, so far the original battery seems OK. Fingers crossed that it stays that way for the weekend or I will have to revert to backup cameras.
Old 15 Jul 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2927182)   #116
midgetman
Veteran

Please warn me before you snap so I can hold my gut in!
Old 15 Jul 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2927191)   #117
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I really hope that everything goes without too many problems, also the rain circumnavigates the "SRFOS" good luck with it
Right I've got to watch 'Who wants to be a millionaire' to see how good they teach the kids at Sue's school !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 15 Jul 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2927202)   #118
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Thanks for your thoughts Gordon.Please dont worry John we have had some mention on local BBC and all the local papers. I had a very nice e mail from a man with a 1924 Rolls Royce.He asked me if he could bring his car then I had a phone call from someone with a MK1 Capri. Its all great stuff. I also had an envolope handed to me tonight with £100.00 cash in it from someone who wants to remain anonamous but is full of support with what we are doing. Very touched.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 08:01 (Ref:2927335)   #119
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good luck with the duelathlon guys, looks like the rain will hold off for you Iain. Hope all goes well & look forward to seeing you all tomorrow
Old 16 Jul 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2927345)   #120
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
My friend will have her camera with her and although only a small Canon camera takes very good photos and she has a very good eye for intersting photos, she will probably stick the lot up on FaceBook but I will post a link here. Now I had better get down the workshop and finish sorting this car out!
Old 16 Jul 2011, 21:07 (Ref:2927516)   #121
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Me Mike and Max have had a brilliant day. Just winding down now with a nice cup of tea,In the Duelathlon Mike was 10th,I was 11th and Max 13th. We are all knackared but the sun came out just as we started and is still out now, so looking forward to tomorrow.
Old 16 Jul 2011, 21:16 (Ref:2927520)   #122
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to hear there were only 13 entrants Iain.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 06:17 (Ref:2927586)   #123
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
Sorry to hear there were only 13 entrants Iain.
Just for that Mr McKay you had better bring some dosh along for the auction.I will be looking out for you in the croud..Overcast at the moment just going to collect the Austin Seven racer from around the corner.
Old 17 Jul 2011, 07:03 (Ref:2927600)   #124
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just firing up the Mk2, weather fine here at the moment, lets hope the M25 is behaving
Old 17 Jul 2011, 13:01 (Ref:2927697)   #125
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Sorry couldnt make it I just ran out of time and it would have meant loading up at gone 10pm and I know for a fact as I am on my own and have to drive the car out the garage and on to trailer at least one of the neighbours would phone the police. Sorry again.