Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 15 Sep 2016, 14:44 (Ref:3672576)   #101
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haha, put in our places by JR as ever. See you at Spa John? Best wishes, Robert
Old 15 Sep 2016, 16:49 (Ref:3672592)   #102
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
No Spa
Alpine Rally in two weeks then Old Warden.
Looking after a car at Spa six years ago.
Two well known drivers
12 secs between them.
Old 15 Sep 2016, 19:15 (Ref:3672627)   #103
fatcharles
Rookie

fatcharles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
De Cadenet told me that at Monaco in 2014 he was in a C-type Jag and was totally outdragged from a corner by the 'similar' race winning car, he pointed out that the driver makes no difference in such a situation and that the power difference was so huge that no driver could make up the difference.

The difference is he will always be remembered for his Le Mans results etc.
whereas whoever won a historic sprint does not matter.
Well, I remember watching De Cadenet racing his ex-Corner DBR4 when it was in less than pristine condition - looked pretty rough in fact IIRC - and he was trying VERY hard to win. He may have done great things at Le Mans but he took his historic racing pretty seriously too in those days. As did Corner, Green etc. Can't help but think the scorn directed at Goodwood is a little uncharitable....
Old 15 Sep 2016, 19:47 (Ref:3672633)   #104
racemech
Rookie

United Kingdom
racemech should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post

As an aside, I am appalled by GW's social media department who pump out videos on FB etc that make the average 'Crash' video look tame. It's beginning to look like the organisers actually want the BTCC with old cars.
Indeed. Their YouTube page, looks more of a circus outfit with 'Crash' 'Spin' 'Terrifying' 'Close Shave' 'Austin Rolls'.

With the amount of what are in no-doubt, serious accidents shown on their YouTube page, it is in my mind 'tempting fate'. I'm not sure quite who they employ, to upload such questionable videos - but one would assume they have little or no knowledge of Motor Racing, other than what receives good views.

The best have got it wrong at Goodwood, its a dangerous circuit + sport. It should be respected.

racemech.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 08:13 (Ref:3672744)   #105
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well the job of social media & video manager was advertised on the GW web site recently. I was tempted to apply because it's "what I do" and it would be nice to earn from it, but I couldn't face the commute :-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Old 16 Sep 2016, 08:21 (Ref:3672745)   #106
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Hmm. Would have thought someone running a C-type at Monaco would have a decent budget to buy the right kit. My experience has been slightly different - put two drivers with very different amounts of talent and commitment in two very similar cars and you'll be shocked how different their lap times can be
I agree, it is very true that the difference between drivers can be huge and the level of commitment in professional/contemporary racing is totally different.

As you say someone running a C-type at Monaco can (usually) afford the right kit, the thing is some owners don't want to modernise such cars.

Some of the drivers who could afford to modernise their historic cars decide to go contemporary racing to satisfy that need, of course contemporary racing is far more competitive so their results tend to be rather worse than in historics.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 08:25 (Ref:3672748)   #107
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
PeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPeterMorley should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcharles View Post
Well, I remember watching De Cadenet racing his ex-Corner DBR4 when it was in less than pristine condition - looked pretty rough in fact IIRC - and he was trying VERY hard to win. He may have done great things at Le Mans but he took his historic racing pretty seriously too in those days. As did Corner, Green etc. Can't help but think the scorn directed at Goodwood is a little uncharitable....
True, when he was racing Hannen's Connaught De Cad would ask what the rev-limit was and then totally ignored it!!
Eventually the rev-counter tell tale reset was hidden so that the engine builder had some idea of what might be needed!

I think the difference is that in those days they tended to drive the cars very hard rather than redesign them to improve the performance.
Old 16 Sep 2016, 08:30 (Ref:3672750)   #108
fatcharles
Rookie

fatcharles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMorley View Post
I think the difference is that in those days they tended to drive the cars very hard rather than redesign them to improve the performance.
Probably much more widespread now, but where would you place the ERA's in that? They were continually developed I guess so hard to put it down to any particularly era, but I recall R1A and R9B having telescopic suspension and other mods in the 1970s. And I also recall David Black seriously developing his Alfa Tipo B to be competitive against them in the '80s. Incidentally, that car - raced at Goodwood last weekend by Matt Grist - still has its fat 16 inch wheels on which are now thirty year old modifications!
Old 16 Sep 2016, 13:53 (Ref:3672787)   #109
PeterMorley
Veteran

United Kingdom
Belgium
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcharles View Post
Probably much more widespread now, but where would you place the ERA's in that? They were continually developed I guess so hard to put it down to any particularly era, but I recall R1A and R9B having telescopic suspension and other mods in the 1970s. And I also recall David Black seriously developing his Alfa Tipo B to be competitive against them in the '80s. Incidentally, that car - raced at Goodwood last weekend by Matt Grist - still has its fat 16 inch wheels on which are now thirty year old modifications!
In those days the ERAs had probably never stopped racing (except for the odd interruption by wars etc.!) and had been continuously developed (e.g. they were still being used as contemporary rather than historic cars).
That was partly because there hadn't been so many racing cars built since the war and they were all that was available.

Most post war cars up to the 80s had fallow periods where they were put to one side and the owners bought newer cars (as more people became wealthy and more cars were being built) so their development stopped - until they became eligible for old car races.
Of course the engines etc. continued to be developed if they were still being raced, so you go from a 400BHp DFV to a 540 BHp version of the 'same' engine.

Given races for ERAs usually say they are for pre-war cars it would seem reasonable to ask that they should be in a specification they ran in period - which I think is pretty much the case now.

As you say, some of the mods. fitted to those early cars are older than some historic racing cars - which reflects the fact that we used to do support races for contemporary cars that are now considered historic (nowadays my road car is probably older than some historics!).

The FIAs demand for period proof of specifications is meant to make sure that cars are as they were in the period they claim to represent. Unfortunately, as we are only too well aware, that system doesn't always work - but the principle makes sense, the problem is how do you make it work!
Old 18 Sep 2016, 20:14 (Ref:3673787)   #110
dwh43scale
Veteran

United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
dwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddwh43scale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Got a bit carried away this year, so separate albums by race.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dwh38/albums

None of that paddock and pretty ladies frippery here, just good honest racing cars and bikes There's also an occasional frequenter of these forums.

Really enjoyed wet Saturday - wearing the right modern gear I might add - started the day at Woodcote and worked round to Madgwick the long way. Love shooting the bikes and TT cars at St Mary's. Sunday very sunny and bright, this time clockwise.

Enjoy !
Old 19 Sep 2016, 07:30 (Ref:3674000)   #111
Paul Leek
Rookie

France
Faye la Vineuse
Paul Leek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimD View Post
A minor inconvenience, but hopefully effective should there be another "hundred year" incident. ( I still think it was the fault of the straw bale on the grass run-off, but anyway...
It seems odd to me that the hydrangea bed which IMO contributed to launching the car remains in place. I'm no expert but it seems to me that anything placed at the juncture of the vertical tyre wall and the ground is a hazard.

I also believe that if the "hundred year accident" happened with the mesh roof in place the car would have cartwheeled onwards into the spectator areas. It's also plain to see that the wheel, complete with suspension parts sailed high and into the disabled viewing platform.

The irony is that most people would have thought the safest place to be if a car gets airborn on the straight would be in the tunnel mouth.
Old 29 Sep 2016, 05:05 (Ref:3675862)   #112
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go to the bottom of the page (31) for the beginning of the Goodwood 2016 pics, post #915. Rolls over to page 32 after a few other 'pics from my trip'.

http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...lection/page31