Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Sep 2016, 16:38 (Ref:3674132)   #176
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha View Post
If you're referring to La Source, I'm probably among them. I'll try to find a less distracting vantage point next year.

Photo like that I will forgive you. Brilliant.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 18:32 (Ref:3674155)   #177
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 356sc View Post
Having seen how you take chicanes at Le Mans, I just assumed you had done something similar, and had to "escape" down the pit lane to recover!!!!
Hey- that utube clip is our little secret! Shush.....

I've now found the results on RIS and had a good look at the (our) GTS11 class. Even more chuffed now, looking at what's behind us! Early leader for class honours was Keith Ahler's Morgan +4, 'TOK', but they suffered a broken starter lead. No problem in itself, but when the car was 'bump' started the jolt broke something in the gearbox... Honours were then inherited for a while by John Emberson's Morgan SLR, fresh from a major summer rebuild. Unfortunately they couldn't last the distance either, the car shedding the left rear wheel and hub. That left Tom Smith's quick and reliable MGB in the lead, followed by 6hr debutant Simon Orebi Gann's Morgan +4. (The flame spitting red car in Juha's pics..) I heard third hand (so can't verify truth) that the MGBs engine was just about to expire when the last lap was called, but the car had a lap in hand so at that point could have won the class while parked up somewhere... 3rd went to the first of the fast but presumably not quite so reliable Marcos 1800s, and 4th to the first of the 911 hoard. So only one 'B' in front of Gilbert!
Old 19 Sep 2016, 19:22 (Ref:3674170)   #178
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And there was me who from childhood has always thought that all Gilberts were green!

Plus I love the way that the headlights on the Morgan pop out just as they do in car-tunes.
Old 19 Sep 2016, 19:48 (Ref:3674174)   #179
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes Mikes mate in the silver one had headlights that pop out . Trouble was the left hand one popped out of the back and broke .
Old 19 Sep 2016, 20:55 (Ref:3674182)   #180
Juha
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
Juha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Photo like that I will forgive you. Brilliant.
Thanks! I have no night photos from your car, so I can't be blamed for blinding you either.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 11:49 (Ref:3674227)   #181
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re-posting this one from the overnight deletion.

I've just about completed the photos from the meeting which can be viewed via the following link. Warning - lots of photos but especially useful if you suffer from insomnia perhaps.

http://www.garyclarkephotography.com...x-Hours-2016-1

Of course, no drivers' eyes were harmed by flash in the making of these photos!
Old 22 Sep 2016, 12:40 (Ref:3674247)   #182
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pics procured. Thanks Gary.
Old 22 Sep 2016, 12:47 (Ref:3674248)   #183
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Had a great 4 days at Spa, saw several of the members from here but only spoke to a couple, thanks to all of those that raced in the races on saturday and sunday. We stayed to the bitter end on sunday and drove back on monday much better than our usual race back sunday evening. Will be there next year for certain
Old 22 Sep 2016, 15:45 (Ref:3674281)   #184
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Pics procured. Thanks Gary.
Many thanks Peter.
Old 24 Sep 2016, 14:50 (Ref:3674741)   #185
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pictures arrived, thank you Gary.

Also received some from Macolm Smith. Big thanks to you too.

I also took a few pics but ill leave the on track stuff to the experts. This one shows an historic part of the region. I really don't know how delta finds the time.
Attached Thumbnails
2016-09-24_04-48-47.jpg  
Old 3 Oct 2016, 09:36 (Ref:3676959)   #186
dmax
Rookie

dmax should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some nice photos here:

http://www.classiccarpassion.com/fr/...ours-2016.aspx
Old 12 Nov 2016, 13:33 (Ref:3687425)   #187
SamBinfield
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ludwigsburg, DE
SamBinfield should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This may go someway to explaining the lack of pace during our final stint - one for the winter build thread now
Old 15 Nov 2016, 08:47 (Ref:3688188)   #188
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame,but could have been a ten minute job to sort if you had access to a spare.
Old 15 Nov 2016, 09:35 (Ref:3688205)   #189
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Sam, sorry that missed your post from 3 days past! I've never broken a rocker (touch wood), but have broken a shaft. That would have hamstrung your efforts, so hope you have better luck next year.

I drained all the remaining fuel out of Gilbert recently and found we had 18 litres left after the race. So even without SCs we would have had plenty. Phew!
Old 15 Nov 2016, 13:17 (Ref:3688254)   #190
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You need bigger jets Iain😁
Old 15 Nov 2016, 14:11 (Ref:3688261)   #191
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Terence, my avatar is confusing you again!

Funny you should mention jets, though. As usual I took the (run in) car to the guru of gurus, Pete B, a few days before the race. Last year on the rollers we reduced the main jet one size as it was slightly over fueling. This year, with new cam (same profile) fitted during the demon Delta rebuild, we increased the mains back up again! And to show you why people like him are worth their weight, at Spa he told Iain that after I had left he had another think about the timing, and thought maybe it needed retarding 1 deg for the 6hr. Naturally we adjusted it exactly as he requested!

I think we proved again that the 6hr doesn't have to be a scary expensive event to do. After the entry fee (which is not expensive considering the track time), there was the precautionary engine rebuild, gearbox inspection and (this time) diff rebuild as the car needed a new CW&P. We used 133 litres of fuel, and all tyres were last year's or from the year before! I've looked at the brakes and the (Mintex) front pads are still good, and rear linings good enough for a short race or next year practice. Plus we used less than a litre of oil. Only issue with the car is that the pinion oil seal of the replacement diff we had to fit before Q is leaking quite badly. Apart from that, good to go.....
Old 15 Nov 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3688293)   #192
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Not confused Mike,I thought Iain did the prep etc?
What oil do you use?
I got fed up with replacing the cam after every season,then someone suggested a change of oil brand away from Millers
Switched to Motul after the new cam was fitted-said cam was still good after four seasons worth.Its mainly the drivegear that wares,every third tooth when the oil pressure gets to max.(no,not that one)
Old 15 Nov 2016, 16:55 (Ref:3688294)   #193
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Are you using one of Petes demon heads btw,best way for squeazing more power from a B engine.����
Old 15 Nov 2016, 19:17 (Ref:3688327)   #194
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
Not confused Mike,I thought Iain did the prep etc?
What oil do you use?
I got fed up with replacing the cam after every season,then someone suggested a change of oil brand away from Millers
Switched to Motul after the new cam was fitted-said cam was still good after four seasons worth.Its mainly the drivegear that wares,every third tooth when the oil pressure gets to max.(no,not that one)
Ahh... The engine uses parts that were with the car when I bought it in 2007, including the head. No idea of the origin- small ports, reasonable valves and 45 dcoe. 300 cam. Std crank with steel rods, plus (genuine original) std oil pump. All meticulously balanced. The original block had to be replaced after a main cap came off in two bits!

And uses 15W50 full synth from the second company you mention.....