Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 Jun 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2897537)   #76
templer
Racer

templer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtempler should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1 View Post
Le Mans is for sportscars! What does a deltawing jet plane design have to do with sportscars? This design should be applied in open wheel racing or single seater racing but not in sportscar racing. This car doesn't fit the sportscar metric is all I'm saying. New technology is a great thing, but you shouldn't be putting a round peg in a square hole. All of the lightweight technology and turbo-diesels can be tried and has been tried in sportscars at Le Mans. We encourage more cars like the turbines, electrics, hybrids, etc., we just don't encourage single-seater designs pretending to be sportscars. IRL should let them race, I would have no problem with that. The banked turns should keep it from turning on its side in the turns.

DK
I am absolutely with you. I can't see any very advanced new technology on that car besides the vector steering. Aero and all other parts are adopted by other motorsports series.
Le Mans is the crown of sports car racing and this car is not a sportscar. It's a kind of landspeed record car and I don't want to see these cars at Le Mans
Old 13 Jun 2011, 20:58 (Ref:2898379)   #77
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Won't this vector steering make it handle like a tool cart, floor jack, or fork lift? None of those handle real well. They do have an excellent turning radius however.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 01:52 (Ref:2898522)   #78
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First car to go over the Dunlop bridge instead of under it. The landing will be a little hard though. If it ain't an Audi A.M. look out.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 01:59 (Ref:2898524)   #79
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holt View Post
Roughly 13 months ago I suggested the ideas behind the Delta Wing come to sportscars

http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....0&postcount=24

Now my wildest dream will come true

http://www.motorward.com/2011/06/del...-2012-le-mans/

This car will win top speed on the Mulsanne at just 325 HP

What do you think?
Great till a rook pulls over slightly in front of it.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 02:04 (Ref:2898527)   #80
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
Knock Knock. hmm. No one home.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 06:15 (Ref:2898561)   #81
alchemy
Racer

Ireland
Tranquillity Base
alchemy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Daftest thing since the Reliant Robin. I'm sure it could really fast in a straight line, but when it falls over in a corner, what's the point?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2898583)   #82
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, those guys are no fools.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 07:19 (Ref:2898590)   #83
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
Daftest thing since the Reliant Robin. I'm sure it could really fast in a straight line, but when it falls over in a corner, what's the point?
I don't think Ben Bowlby would have wasted his time and effort on the D-Wing project, for it to fall over while cornering.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:25 (Ref:2898623)   #84
Great Dane
Rookie

Denmark
Great Dane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Street car relevance

Hello
I hate the whole idea about this car racing at Le Mans. The ACO has rightly promoted new technologies which could be transferred to road cars. This wing car concept can't be transferred to road cars - so where is the relevance in introducing this project?
Old 14 Jun 2011, 10:52 (Ref:2898699)   #85
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well the gas Turbine Rover was never a viable road car option either and I fail to see why it shouldnt have an enthuisasts following is something similar was produced for the road, look at that silly open frame Atom thing, I see no sense in that either as a road car but someone obviously does.

Another thing everyone is banging on about the cornering, how many pictures have you seen of cars lifting a wheel during hard cornering effectively becoming three wheelers!
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:06 (Ref:2898722)   #86
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Le Mans is the perfect platform for new and innovative machines. It's IndyCar's loss, the are a dying series and this car could have actually generated some interest.

I'll bet Colin Chapman got some flack over introducing a rear engined car. Everyone hated the Brabham Fan Car, and I'll bet the Tyrrell P34 got some funny looks as well. No one had the internet to moan about them back then though.

At least the ACO isn't going down the F1 route of stifling anything new.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 11:23 (Ref:2898738)   #87
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can see why the purists don't want the D-Wing at Le Mans but I like the fact the ACO is open minded enough to give it a go.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 12:38 (Ref:2898803)   #88
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Well the gas Turbine Rover was never a viable road car option either and I fail to see why it shouldnt have an enthuisasts following is something similar was produced for the road, look at that silly open frame Atom thing, I see no sense in that either as a road car but someone obviously does.
Though weren't Rover researching at the feasibility of gas turbines for road car use, based on their work with Whittle's early jet engines for the RAF late in WW2? That suggests more road car relevance than the Delta Wing appears to have at first sight.

Rover built several gas turbine cars apart from the BRM Le Mans car- and these were either based on Rover production chassis, or were very much 'road car' in concept. IIRC, the last, 'T4' was basically one of the prototypes for the P6 Rover 2000/3500
http://gallery.brit-cars.com/data//6..._0703_1139.jpg

I'm fairly open-minded on this so far- I can't help finding the whole concept faintly barking, but as DownF0rce said, it's not the first time someone's pitched up at Le Mans race with something totally out of left-field...

http://www.enciclopediadellautomobil...siluro-640.JPG

Last edited by KA; 14 Jun 2011 at 12:44.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 13:02 (Ref:2898817)   #89
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post
Though weren't Rover researching at the feasibility of gas turbines for road car use, based on their work with Whittle's early jet engines for the RAF late in WW2? That suggests more road car relevance than the Delta Wing appears to have at first sight.

Rover built several gas turbine cars apart from the BRM Le Mans car- and these were either based on Rover production chassis, or were very much 'road car' in concept. IIRC, the last, 'T4' was basically one of the prototypes for the P6 Rover 2000/3500
http://gallery.brit-cars.com/data//6..._0703_1139.jpg

I'm fairly open-minded on this so far- I can't help finding the whole concept faintly barking, but as DownF0rce said, it's not the first time someone's pitched up at Le Mans race with something totally out of left-field...

http://www.enciclopediadellautomobil...siluro-640.JPG
I'm a little wary of some of the info on Wikipedia but this is interesting:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_C...d_gas_turbines
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2898852)   #90
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I'm confused as to how close you could be when reading multiple links with interviews with the designers no mention was ever made of it having been a 3 wheeler at any point.
I forget where I read it, so if you don't believe me, fine, I don't care, but I remember hearing it was a 3-wheeler originally. They only changed to 4 wheels when the FIA told them for it to run in a series under FIA sanction (which Indycar is under ACCUS), a car had to by definition have 4 wheels.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:09 (Ref:2898854)   #91
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
They won't be going toward the less frontal area philosophy, but lightweight and low power to the extreme IS where they are going...
Then remove the weight limits on the class categories.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:15 (Ref:2898856)   #92
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Motor racing has always been about innovation; Audi and turbo-diesels spring to mind, let it race.
My company manufactured turbo diesels long before Audi got the rules changed in their favor to ensure they could put out that car and every non-diesel car on the planet would be uncompetitive against it.

Motor racing is about innovation, but this car was never about innovation. It was about one car owner named Chip Ganassi trying to wrest control of a racing series so that everyone in order to compete had to buy a car from him.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:20 (Ref:2898857)   #93
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan View Post
Then remove the weight limits on the class categories.
And how many of you would throw a *****fit if they did that and mandated four cylinder max engines? Considering all the F1 fans are moaning about it, I bet the sportscar crowd would too.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2898858)   #94
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
And how many of you would throw a *****fit if they did that and mandated four cylinder max engines? Considering all the F1 fans are moaning about it, I bet the sportscar crowd would too.
I didn't say I agreed with it. I just said if they cared about having lightweight technology, remove the weight limits of the classes. Otherwise if that's their stated aim they're being hypocritical.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2898859)   #95
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Dane View Post
Hello
I hate the whole idea about this car racing at Le Mans. The ACO has rightly promoted new technologies which could be transferred to road cars. This wing car concept can't be transferred to road cars - so where is the relevance in introducing this project?
Considering the fact that it promises the same performance with the lack of aero bits which don't apply to road cars, and the fact that it will use an engine more closely related to a road car engine than most of the engines in the field, I would say that it's the closest thing to road relevance in the field, as well as the fact that it's more closely related than the other to G56 entries.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:30 (Ref:2898861)   #96
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I didn't say I agreed with it. I just said if they cared about having lightweight technology, remove the weight limits of the classes. Otherwise if that's their stated aim they're being hypocritical.
The point is that they want diversity of competition and they want speed, and safety I'd imagine would be quite high on their list. If they removed the weight limits, then the teams would go to ridiculous and dangerous lengths to find speed that would have little to do with road cars.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2898864)   #97
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
My company manufactured turbo diesels long before Audi got the rules changed in their favor to ensure they could put out that car and every non-diesel car on the planet would be uncompetitive against it.

Motor racing is about innovation, but this car was never about innovation. It was about one car owner named Chip Ganassi trying to wrest control of a racing series so that everyone in order to compete had to buy a car from him.
Getting the rules changed so they could race turbo-diesels is fairly innovative in its own right.

I don't think Ben Bowlby would agree with you about it not being innovative.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:33 (Ref:2898865)   #98
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Considering the fact that it promises the same performance with the lack of aero bits which don't apply to road cars, and the fact that it will use an engine more closely related to a road car engine than most of the engines in the field, I would say that it's the closest thing to road relevance in the field, as well as the fact that it's more closely related than the other to G56 entries.
When do you think I will be able to buy a production car which has that front wheelbase? "It promises the same performance with the lack of aero bits which don't apply to road car..." Come on, you're smarter than that, look at the front of the car, Bowlby himself said the only way he could cut down the drag as much as necessary was to shorten the wheelbase significantly to put it in front of the driver which has absolutely zero relevance to production cars.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:34 (Ref:2898866)   #99
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Getting the rules changed so they could race turbo-diesels is fairly innovative in its own right.
Welcome to how racing politics works: "we don't prove our technologies and innovations, we change the rules to ban all the others that could possibly defeat us".

Quote:
I don't think Ben Bowlby would agree with you about it not being innovative.
He's an employee of Chip Ganassi so his opinion was bought and paid for and therefore not unbiased.
Old 14 Jun 2011, 14:39 (Ref:2898868)   #100
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Quote:
The point is that they want diversity of competition and they want speed, and safety I'd imagine would be quite high on their list. If they removed the weight limits, then the teams would go to ridiculous and dangerous lengths to find speed that would have little to do with road cars.
Prototypes were built for Le Mans just in the past decade with a 675-kg limit. The LMP1 weight limit is 900 kg. I don't believe anyone questioned the safety of the LMP675's, so they can lop off 225 kg right now if the ACO wanted.

I have a much larger issue with the DeltaWing not on its design but for the driving experience. It amazes me this car was designed to take part on street courses where the corner has a concrete wall right inside. The driver has no frontal reference point for the width of his rear wheelbase, and we see drivers getting tapped in the rear by moving over or not realizing a driver is there all the time, and it's going to be worse here (especially with Le Mans where there's no spotters).

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 14 Jun 2011 at 14:54.