Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Mar 2018, 21:34 (Ref:3809204)   #2676
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
And when introduced there was outcry amongst fans who didn’t want the change.
Did they demand refunds on their tickets?
Old 20 Mar 2018, 16:27 (Ref:3809419)   #2677
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
A few purists were against it, feeling it wasn’t fair
Old 24 Mar 2018, 09:41 (Ref:3810367)   #2678
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Indianapolis ran a pace car in 1911.
1973 F1 introduced a pace car following the outrage that they kept racing while Roger Williamson burned to death.
The first pace car was run in Canada in 1973 when Scheckter and Cervert crashed into one another blocking the track. The officials then picked up Ganley who was running 6th instead of the leader Revson, causing a rumpus about who had won the race.
Apparently there was a pace car on hand at the 81/82/83 Monaco GP, but it was not deployed.
The next use of a Pace car or "Safety car" as F1 likes to call them was in the 1993 where the cars used were found to be too slow and blamed for Senna's accident. The car was significantly upgraded in 1994 to ensure a quick enough car was used, and the use of a professional racing driver to drive the car came about much later. (????Date)

So in effect it took F1 at best 62 years to try and copy American racing's proven use of the pace car, 82 years to use one on a regular basis, 83 years to get the right car as a pace car, and longer to find out a professional driver was needed to competently drive the thing.
All these teething troubles would have been solved for them by the SCCA if somebody had thought to ask!

Not an impressive timeline, just pure bloody mindedness and arrogance!
Tiny correction - the car was upgraded for 1995. 1994 they used saloon cars like the Opel Vectra. 1995 they used Diabos, 911s and things like that.
Old 25 Mar 2018, 09:19 (Ref:3810618)   #2679
Taxi645
Veteran

Netherlands
Taxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTaxi645 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hill-hits-out-at-mercedes-ferrari-1018577/

"massive industrial complexes are ruining the sport"

I say spot on Damon. Well done and thank you for speaking up!
Old 25 Mar 2018, 17:55 (Ref:3810682)   #2680
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Indeed.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 00:15 (Ref:3810773)   #2681
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't decide if the Halo looks silly, ugly, quite attractive, ridiculous or just rather anonymous.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 03:04 (Ref:3810787)   #2682
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I can't decide if the Halo looks silly, ugly, quite attractive, ridiculous or just rather anonymous.
Horrid, but when there are 20 horrid looking objects it is easy to look past them without seeing them.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 09:23 (Ref:3810853)   #2683
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Not sure I agree with Hill on this one, Merc and Ferrari have every right to stay, it's not entirely their fault hardly anyone else is challenging, more the way the rules have gone
Old 26 Mar 2018, 10:33 (Ref:3810871)   #2684
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Not sure I agree with Hill on this one, Merc and Ferrari have every right to stay, it's not entirely their fault hardly anyone else is challenging, more the way the rules have gone
Essentially Merc represented by Ross Brawn managed to pull the wool over everyone's eyes and game the system to suit a massive investment they had sunk into hybrid power units. They were untouchable and realized if they did not help Ferrari then the rules would be changed, so they helped Ferrari and are now enjoying a nice little oligopoly where the two teams can block any inconvenient rule changes that will destroy their (Mercedes and Ferrari) advantage.
Hill is correct, Merc invested billions, and helped Ferrari, and nobody else can afford to chase this dead end technology that is only relevant to F1.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 10:55 (Ref:3810877)   #2685
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Current F1 cars are a perfect way for manufacturers to demonstrate their fabulous, cutting edge, technical capabilities.

But that's all they should do.........run demonstration laps.

Don't try and race the damn things because they're useless at that.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 12:12 (Ref:3810904)   #2686
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
Current F1 cars are a perfect way for manufacturers to demonstrate their fabulous, cutting edge, technical capabilities.

But that's all they should do.........run demonstration laps.

Don't try and race the damn things because they're useless at that.
You are right, about all they are doing is running demo laps.
Lewis qualified on pole at 1:21.164, the fastest lap of the race was set by Ricciardo at 1:25.954 with Hamilton at 1:26.444 and Vettel the winner at 1:26.469. The fastest race lap by anybody was 4.79 sec off the pole time and the fastest race lap by the pole sitter Hamilton was 5.28 seconds off pole.

In short, no passing and just droning around to a delta a long way off the ultimate pace of the car, this is not a motor race it is a regularity trial.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 13:07 (Ref:3810928)   #2687
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
You are right, about all they are doing is running demo laps.
Lewis qualified on pole at 1:21.164, the fastest lap of the race was set by Ricciardo at 1:25.954 with Hamilton at 1:26.444 and Vettel the winner at 1:26.469. The fastest race lap by anybody was 4.79 sec off the pole time and the fastest race lap by the pole sitter Hamilton was 5.28 seconds off pole.

In short, no passing and just droning around to a delta a long way off the ultimate pace of the car, this is not a motor race it is a regularity trial.
But surely this is what has happened over the past decades; race pace, even fastest laps, have rarely reflected qualifying times.

Go back not that long, and they even had highly stressed qualifying engines run on rocket fuel. And the teams only cared that the engine would last long enough to finish the qualifying period.

So, it's nothing new in F1.
Old 26 Mar 2018, 14:47 (Ref:3810959)   #2688
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi645 View Post
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hill-hits-out-at-mercedes-ferrari-1018577/

"massive industrial complexes are ruining the sport"

I say spot on Damon. Well done and thank you for speaking up!
so im of the both agree and disagree on this one.

on the engine side i disagree in that Renault had a major hand in crafting the current engine formula and the rules were changed to allow Honda to try to catch up faster...ultimately Renault and Honda (both companies with Merc and Ferrari type monies) had the chance to do well but for other reasons did not....that part of it is the way it has always been.

the part i agree with though is the 'massive' aspect...the advantages they carry through the size of their facilities, wind tunnel and super computers/CFD modeling capabilities, the overall size of their staff, multiple design and race teams/departments, data analysis departments, real time race simulation centres etc are insurmountable.

these are advantages borne strictly out of money imo. anyways yada yada yada budget caps, resource restriction agreements, fairer payment terms.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 03:04 (Ref:3811135)   #2689
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...tal-overtaking

Snip
"One of our aims, which we are looking at with the FIA and the teams is that, for 2021, we want to have cars that allow drivers to really fight one another on track.
"To that end, the FIA and F1 are carrying out an aerodynamic research programme with two car models, both in the windtunnel and using CFD."

Gee wonder if they are Indy car models. I know they have push to pass but at least they can follow each other and get close enough to actually pass.

Get rid of the multi plane front wing for a start.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 13:14 (Ref:3811239)   #2690
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here's a question I find quite challenging.

How much increase in qualifying/lap times would F1 fans, teams and drivers be willing to concede in order to bring about closer racing and more overtaking?
(ie: strip away most of the aero).

For example, MotoGP racing is absolutely sensational.Has everything an F1 fan could possibly wish for.

However, they lap Silverstone GP Circuit at very similar times to GTE/GT3 cars. About 30 seconds per lap slower than an F1 car.

Does this matter if the racing is totally enthralling?
Do we actually care that much about lap times ?
How much should be conceded?........5 secs, 10 secs, more/less?
Old 27 Mar 2018, 13:45 (Ref:3811245)   #2691
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

How much increase in qualifying/lap times would F1 fans, teams and drivers be willing to concede in order to bring about closer racing and more overtaking?

For example, MotoGP racing is absolutely sensational.Has everything an F1 fan could possibly wish for.

However, they lap Silverstone GP Circuit at very similar times to GTE/GT3 cars. About 30 seconds per lap slower than an F1 car.

But F1 is supposed to be the pinnacle of motorsport and therefore couldn't be seen to be reducing speeds.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 13:48 (Ref:3811248)   #2692
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Good question. I think the first problem we bump up against is that if F1 somehow becomes slower to increase quality of racing, that other series become "Faster than F1". Such as GP2/F2 and WEC cars turning quicker lap times. I don't know how I feel about that. It seems to be a big deal for some people.

Richard

EDIT: bjohnsonsmith beat me to it!
Old 27 Mar 2018, 13:50 (Ref:3811250)   #2693
S griffin
Veteran

The thing is they are starting to have a ridiculous amount of aero again and as a result they are cornering too quickly and we aren't getting enough close racing.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 14:12 (Ref:3811257)   #2694
littleman
Veteran

Some interesting replies......thanks.

My thinking is, keep taking the aero off the cars until we reach the point that they can race each other, stay close behind, regularly get the opportunity to out brake each other and can pass using slipstreaming rather than DRS.

I don't know how much slower the lap times will be before the tipping point is reached. My hunch is, F1 cars will still be faster than other categories.......but by a smaller margin.

Surely in this day and age it must be possible to model the "tipping point".
Old 27 Mar 2018, 14:18 (Ref:3811259)   #2695
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
with safety and reliability going up plus miles of paved tarmac, why not return to ground effects and active suspension...lap times will stay the same/go up and the danger from higher cornering speeds have perhaps already been mitigated by track design?

also increase the number of PUs allowed...

its never one thing in F1, but how much was overtaking hurt due to the conservative use of engine power and the 3 PU allotment rule?
Old 27 Mar 2018, 14:35 (Ref:3811263)   #2696
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Make the cars faster in the slow corners which is where people can mostly see the cars. The one thing which always sticks out about footage from 1990-1994 is how much faster the cars are around the slower corners. All of the following things work against the cars now in this aspect;

- Much longer wheelbase
- Much heavier cars
- 2000mm width vs 2200mm

Allow more elaborate suspension, but just cut back massively on the aero, and address the points above. Stipulate a maximum wheelbase, lose the heavy hybrid junk and make the cars wider again.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 15:26 (Ref:3811273)   #2697
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...tal-overtaking

Snip
"One of our aims, which we are looking at with the FIA and the teams is that, for 2021, we want to have cars that allow drivers to really fight one another on track.
"To that end, the FIA and F1 are carrying out an aerodynamic research programme with two car models, both in the windtunnel and using CFD."

Gee wonder if they are Indy car models. I know they have push to pass but at least they can follow each other and get close enough to actually pass.

Get rid of the multi plane front wing for a start.
This is the part where Brawn has just about lost me.

"When there is only a small speed gap between two cars then it's almost impossible for the pursuer to get close enough to mount an attack."

It isn't the small speed gap that means the cars can't follow each other closely Ross! Nascar has the whole field of cars within a smaller speed gap than the first few rows of an F1 grid yet they are literally bumper to bumper on track.

F1 cars struggle to follow within 0.4 seconds behind the car in front, and pass without a 2-second lap speed advantage purely because of the aero dependence. I agree with you sizzle, I say regulate a single plane front wing, ban 'appendages' on the front half of the car and similar for the rear although that should take care of itself for balance reasons. This would also go a long way to reducing the disparity between the large and small teams.

Ignore complaints about the cars being unstable, that is a feature not a defect! Hamilton was able to take turns 11-12 flat last weekend which is ridiculous, and there are many other examples. Racing should mean overtaking on track not purely via pit stops.

The FIA is also capable of reducing downforce for the lower formulas as well so that they won't end up faster than F1 if that is a concern.

To Hill's point, commentary on the weekend talked about the big teams having 2000 staff! Just think that McLaren were winning in the late 1960s with something like 20 staff, and also producing CanAm and other cars at the same time.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 15:52 (Ref:3811279)   #2698
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Some interesting replies......thanks.

My thinking is, keep taking the aero off the cars until we reach the point that they can race each other, stay close behind, regularly get the opportunity to out brake each other and can pass using slipstreaming rather than DRS.

I don't know how much slower the lap times will be before the tipping point is reached. My hunch is, F1 cars will still be faster than other categories.......but by a smaller margin.

Surely in this day and age it must be possible to model the "tipping point".
This is what they did with IndyCar. They scrapped the Chevy and Honda aero-kits and went for the Universal Aero Kit, which is ground effect. Downforce has now been reduced but it hasn't affected lap times. At the opening race of this season, the track record was broken.

This is quite an interesting take on things from Mario Andretti.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/135045
Old 27 Mar 2018, 16:15 (Ref:3811287)   #2699
littleman
Veteran

Hats off to Indy Car,F1 take notice!

Maybe it's easier for IndyCar to force these changes through.Apart from the engines, the entry list isn't blighted by global manufacturer teams each using intimidation tactics to get their own way.

Come on Ross Brawn and the FIA........grow a pair.
Old 27 Mar 2018, 22:33 (Ref:3811366)   #2700
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Hats off to Indy Car,F1 take notice!

Maybe it's easier for IndyCar to force these changes through.Apart from the engines, the entry list isn't blighted by global manufacturer teams each using intimidation tactics to get their own way.

Come on Ross Brawn and the FIA........grow a pair.
Plus one to this from me.

Agree with Sizzle's single plane front wing, make it a single airfoil profile spec while you are at it and it must clear between the front rims.

Lap times do not matter as far as I am concerned, the racing however does.

If you take the KERS systems off the cars while you're at it and lighten them by 200 kg, the lap times will drop and the racing will get better.