View Poll Results: should Imola be here next year
yes 15 40.54%
no 22 59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Apr 2003, 15:05 (Ref:574840)   #1
Vw gti 16v
Racer

Vw gti 16v should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you think Imola should be on the calendar next year???

In the race today there are rumours and speculations Imola and its last formula 1 grand prix do you think that it should still be there next year or do you think that it should go and have another circuit built???
Old 20 Apr 2003, 15:20 (Ref:574860)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Effectively there are 2 races in Italy, I think that one of these has to go so that the new circuits (Bahrain and China) can be accomodated. Whichever race is lost (Monza or Imola) there will be loud complaints but ultimately one of them has to go - I would rather see Imola go from the calendar than Monza but I'm sure that others will disagree!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 15:28 (Ref:574865)   #3
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When there are countries waiting to get onto the F1 calendar no country should hold more than one race and Monza usually has better races than Imola.
If both Imola and Monza are to hold races then they should be held in alternate years. Same with Nurburgring/Hockenheim.

(Monaco is an exception as that race is actually held in the principality)
Old 20 Apr 2003, 15:34 (Ref:574876)   #4
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
NO is my answer 1 Italy GP is enough give it to another country
Old 20 Apr 2003, 15:49 (Ref:574892)   #5
Thorstone
Veteran

Thorstone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
NO is my answer 1 Italy GP is enough give it to another country

Agree,to South Africa
Old 20 Apr 2003, 16:09 (Ref:574904)   #6
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
No. It's a dull track and produces dull racing. Italy has Monza already so it seems redundant to race there when there are so many other places which can hold races.

At the very least have the European GP rotate around various tracks - Donington, Nurburgring, Ricard &c, if you need 2 races in a country.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 16:11 (Ref:574907)   #7
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No! Give us back Spa!!!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 16:27 (Ref:574922)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the argument that a Grand Prix should be moved simply because the track produces boring races is absolutely absurd.

This year's race appaered to have some empty seats (although I doubt this will be the first GP to see this phenomenon this year), but from what I've read this is one of the better events on the calander to attend in terms of atmosphere and enjoyment by the fans. The drivers, in general seems to like the track (although overtaking is difficult to impossible).

That said, I agree about 1 GP per country, and in Italy, that can only go to Monza. Still, it would be very sad to see San Marino go.

Last edited by Jay; 20 Apr 2003 at 16:30.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 20 Apr 2003, 16:36 (Ref:574926)   #9
*formula3*
Veteran

Germany
*formula3* should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
why is there no "i don´t mind"-button, i agree, imola produces dull races, but what is the alternative? i don´t think that bernie brings spa back, so i don´t mind whether i see boring races in imola or somewhere else, and regarding e
i bet we´ll see imola next year again...though i would definetaly change it against sp if i could
Old 20 Apr 2003, 16:49 (Ref:574938)   #10
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't vote, not all races can be exciting. I agree on the rotating European GP idea ensign proposed. More than anything if it was on tracks not often used for F1 recently, like Donington, Brands, Paul Ricard, Jerez...
Old 20 Apr 2003, 17:08 (Ref:574948)   #11
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
x_dt When there are countries waiting to get onto the F1 calendar no country should hold more than one race and Monza usually has better races than Imola. If both Imola and Monza are to hold races then they should be held in alternate years. Same with Nurburgring/Hockenheim.

(Monaco is an exception as that race is actually held in the principality)
I don't understand why Monaco is an exception under your rule. Surley they should have France and Monaco in alternate years????
Old 20 Apr 2003, 18:09 (Ref:574986)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
No! Give us back Spa!!!
I agree 100%

One race in Italy is enough!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 18:10 (Ref:574987)   #13
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
I don't understand why Monaco is an exception under your rule. Surley they should have France and Monaco in alternate years????
Eh, the French GP should just be dumped altogether.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:16 (Ref:575035)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
America should have a second race, at the other end of the country, but a small country like Italy only needs one, especialyl when Imola ahs produced such poor races and (this year at least) a mediocre attendance. It shouldn't be first on the chopping block, but realistically it looks more precarious that Hungary or Spain, both of which are the only races in thsoe regions, and well-attended 9SPain will be this year after Alonso's breakthrough)
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:28 (Ref:575053)   #15
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SHOULD the Imola GP be on the calander next year?? YES.

WILL the Imola GP be on the calander next year?? NO.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 19:58 (Ref:575094)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Although better than previous years, this track is still a boring circuit, plus it's in terrible condition. Get rid of it!
Old 20 Apr 2003, 20:00 (Ref:575096)   #17
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...in favour of what, though?? Shanghai?? Zuhai?? Bahrain?? Um. No thanks. Besides, if you want to see a race facility in a dire state, look no further than our own.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 20:05 (Ref:575100)   #18
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
Monaco is a sovereign state completely separate to France. And the Monaco GP is held in Monaco, not under a flag of convenience.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 20:06 (Ref:575102)   #19
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
...in favour of what, though?? Shanghai?? Zuhai?? Bahrain?? Um. No thanks. Besides, if you want to see a race facility in a dire state, look no further than our own.
Or you could always look at the facilities of the 2 newest GP's on the calender....Maylasia and Indy.
Old 20 Apr 2003, 20:32 (Ref:575114)   #20
Miss Hardt
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
Miss Hardt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Monaco is ten times better than France. By that logic we can ask why don't we hold British and US GP every second year.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 02:52 (Ref:575278)   #21
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think no country should hold 2 GP's with countries like Russia China South Africa Mexico and all have good tracks plus other countries outthere why should some countries have 2 races
Monaco is the exception in my eyes ( I don't like the track but some do )
god I like a GP in NZ
and of course there is SPA
Old 21 Apr 2003, 02:59 (Ref:575281)   #22
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ensign14
Monaco is a sovereign state completely separate to France.
That's right...the agreement with France was that if there was no longer a crown prince to replace the King, then only Monaco would be under the flagship of France.

Back to the topic...

It was under the influence of Enzo Ferrari that made sure Italy have two races a year. Got to respect that as he had contributed so much to the success of formula1
Old 21 Apr 2003, 03:03 (Ref:575283)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
A big NO from me. It's tracks like Imola that give F1 a bad image. If the FIA wants to hold two races in Italy, then hold another race at Monza.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 21 Apr 2003 at 03:04.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 03:40 (Ref:575291)   #24
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think that a country besides the United States should have more than one race per year, but I also think that a country's race should not be limited to a single venue year after year. There are three Grade 1 circuits in Italy, and those three circuits should rotate the honor of hosting the Italian GP.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 04:16 (Ref:575304)   #25
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
- One race for Italy please
- Circuit in poor shape
- Low crowd attendance
- ***** of a track to pass on
- Bad memories
- Bring back Spa