Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 8 Apr 2004, 04:29 (Ref:934025)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
planning ahead for LeMans-corners,24hrs of light etc etc

greetings Aye et al,

I am awaiting news of accreditation for this years race, and have been meaning to put this down for a few weeks, but as usual, have been rather busy with work lately. As some of you may know, i was there for the peliminaries in early May last year, but this would be the first time for the full race.

If i get in this year, I want to be as prepared as I can--in terms of not being on my heels regarding my knowledge of the track, something that has always bugged me with my previous experiences at the races I have covered. I have often felt that there was time wasted legging it around, figuring what light was good at what corner when, and what focal length for a given corner is best. Even before getting good advice from a photographer who has been there before, I knew that preparation and planning will be the key to covering this special race in terms of all the aspects-from dealing with the distance logistics, changing light, fatigue from extended time with equipment, not to mention the mental aspect of being "on it" visually for such long periods.

So, what I'd like to ask you guys is suggestions for sites and/or books that I can use to begin learning the track, corners etc so I can begin to set up a plan for where I would be when and to manage it all so I am still productive for the end. As per the suggestion from the other photographer, what sort of yearly publications or sites would have a good number of photos documenting the 24 hrs.

Obviously I need to get a course map and through photos from previous races, figure out at least where the sunrise and sunset are. It's a pity I'm so far off from you lot, as I know a number of you must have a wonderful collection of books. I have a feeling that as always, the opportunity around here to find books in libraries and even book stores will be rather limited, so I suspect that online will be the way to go.

Another specific aspect at Lemans is that I will have to think too of being away for longer periods of time from the home base of the press center, and so will have to plan for having rain gear etc etc if mother nature deals out another year like the soggy one of a few years back.

I should be going asleep now so thanks in advance for any logistical and track suggestions.

David
Old 8 Apr 2004, 05:10 (Ref:934038)   #2
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
David, the best books to learn the track are the Annuals edited by ACO each year. Some books were published last year too, with nice pics, about Pescarolo team...

And for the links, there's, as you know, a small "house" logo side of the member's names, meaning that they've a site, usualy with bunches of pics...

Just to mention some : Ayse, BernardB, Vandijk, RDJones...

You'll find links to more sites ont their own sites too...

If you need it, I could e-mail you a map of the circuit, with marshalls' spots...

Last edited by Fab; 8 Apr 2004 at 05:12.
Old 8 Apr 2004, 07:39 (Ref:934090)   #3
Gilles
Racer

European Union
Le Manshire - the 87th British county
Gilles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You may also rent a scooter for easier moving...

... just mail me your if you need such a solution !

... it's not the taking part but the winning that counts !
Old 8 Apr 2004, 10:53 (Ref:934234)   #4
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
brian labans "le mans 24 hours" is quite good for photos. but then i'm slightly biased...

Last edited by kdr; 8 Apr 2004 at 10:53.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 19:04 (Ref:935975)   #5
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thankyou all for the suggestions. Got the marshalls map from Fab, thanks again, which is a great reference piece. While marshall holes aren't often good for shooting from-not to mention having to be respectful of their working area and line of sight, the map is good for getting an idea of what areas have physical access to track workers.

Gilles, thanks for the scooter option, being uncertain of how much one can actually get around (I've been told of how restricted movement can get during the weekend), I'm not sure if it would be worth it-again depending on the cost. I will mail you for details when I know what's happening in terms of me going or not.

kdr, ah yes, I recall reading posts of yours mentioning editing for motorsport publications, so I imagine the selection of photos from this book has your hand in it. Will keep an eye out for it . I have mentioned this before, but there is a great difference in what is available here (in Montreal anyway) in motorsport publications and what there is in the UK. During a visit to London about 7 years ago, I stumbled upon a small motorsport bookstore and was blown away by the selection. Very dangerous indeed bookstores like this! If I was ever to have more disposable income, while certainly not into fancy "stuff" in general, books would probably be where the money would go.

cheers
Old 10 Apr 2004, 19:35 (Ref:935985)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: planning ahead for LeMans-corners,24hrs of light etc etc

Quote:
Originally posted by djb
and so will have to plan for having rain gear etc etc if mother nature deals out another year like the soggy one of a few years back.

David, I thought I ought to post this openly, rather than sending you a PM, because I think this warning note needs to be heeded by all members, whether they intend to travel to La Sarthe this year or not.

I think it would probably be unreasonable for me to ask the forum big chiefs to ban you immediately, but you'll understand that I was sorely tempted. There are some things which simply cannot be tolerated on the forum, and I fear you have seriously overstepped the mark.

So I issue this earnest warning in the hope that you (and any other members who might be tempted to offend so blatantly), can reconsider your position, take up a suitably contrite standpoint and learn from this very grave mistake.

IT ISN'T GOING TO RAIN - OK?

Next person to mention rain in the same breath as Le Mans 2004 is in serious do-do, get me?

Last edited by Aysedasi; 10 Apr 2004 at 19:36.
Old 10 Apr 2004, 19:40 (Ref:935990)   #7
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
it's going to rain.

(sorry, just testing the water, so to speak)
Old 10 Apr 2004, 19:57 (Ref:936003)   #8
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by djb
kdr, ah yes, I recall reading posts of yours mentioning editing for motorsport publications, so I imagine the selection of photos from this book has your hand in it.
not just a hand in the selections...

on the marshalls front, most at le mans are quite friendly, helpful and when you're straining to get some unusual shot - usually a little confused looking. the only place they get strict is in "red zones" - like the gravel trap just before the dunlop bridge. i've politely asked to shoot on the mulsanne, and been told ok...but in reality its just a blast with not much in the way of pictures.

regarding scooters. they usually come when you're working for one of the bigger teams and they let you borrow one. they can be a mixed blessing. last year one senior photographer on a well known french daily and weekly sports publication borrowed one from i believe henris team. he took it down to the esses and stupidly left the key in with the lights on. when he finished shooting after around an hour he found the battery was flat. so he had to push it all the way back to the garage....where a mechanic promptly said "why didn't you kick start it?" cue much swearing in french!

as regards to different timings...well as you'll have found out the 9-6 for PQ isn't really the best for classic le mans pictures. it may be a 24 hour race...but the light only makes those classics for about a 1/4 of that. so head for the dunlop bridge at dawn, the ford chicane at dusk, and terte rouge at 7am...it will be gorgeous sunlight at all these times - isn't that right ayse?!
Old 10 Apr 2004, 20:00 (Ref:936006)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
it's going to rain.

(sorry, just testing the water, so to speak)

Right, that's one banned.........

Old 10 Apr 2004, 20:02 (Ref:936008)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
...it will be gorgeous sunlight at all these times - isn't that right ayse?!

Spot on, as usual....
Old 10 Apr 2004, 20:37 (Ref:936028)   #11
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: planning ahead for LeMans-corners,24hrs of light etc etc

Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

IT ISN'T GOING TO RAIN - OK?
Ah ! Fond memories of 2001. There was this blonde bimbo in my party .......

FG
Old 10 Apr 2004, 20:42 (Ref:936032)   #12
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by djb
I have mentioned this before, but there is a great difference in what is available here (in Montreal anyway) in motorsport publications and what there is in the UK. During a visit to London about 7 years ago, I stumbled upon a small motorsport bookstore and was blown away by the selection. Very dangerous indeed bookstores like this! If I was ever to have more disposable income, while certainly not into fancy "stuff" in general, books would probably be where the money would go.

cheers
Ah, so you found my sister then. She has since moved to Hay on Wye, the second hand book capital of the world, and Sue and her husband John are now running the book shop mail order from a barn on their small holding between Hay & Brecon
Old 10 Apr 2004, 20:44 (Ref:936033)   #13
FG1
Veteran

FG1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by theracegypsy
Hay on Wye, the second hand book capital of the world,
It is indeed a quite extraordinary place!

FG
Old 10 Apr 2004, 23:33 (Ref:936146)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Right, that's one banned.........

Unfortunately it appears Ayse has pressed the wrong button again and accidentally banned himself
Old 11 Apr 2004, 01:49 (Ref:936181)   #15
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Map problems

Quote:
Originally posted by djb
thankyou all for the suggestions. Got the marshalls map from Fab, thanks again, which is a great reference piece.
Beware of the `dotted lines' on the map and definitely do a recce on them during daylight. These are the internal secondary roads leading south to Mulsanne and Arnage corners. Some of which are `forrest trails', others dirt or gravel.

See my ("thebear"s) stories at http://www.marshalspost.com/index.php as well as the "Circuits" tab in the top header.

Been there, done that.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 07:59 (Ref:936282)   #16
kdr
Veteran

some of the small roads inside the circuit go thru some truly beautiful countryside, amazing to think theres a race going on on the other side of the trees.
Old 11 Apr 2004, 08:48 (Ref:936297)   #17
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Re: Re: planning ahead for LeMans-corners,24hrs of light etc etc

Quote:
Originally posted by FG1
Ah ! Fond memories of 2001. There was this blonde bimbo in my party .......

FG
Mrs FG !!! We've got a situation here !!!
Old 12 Apr 2004, 01:38 (Ref:936897)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
David, if all goes as expected, we'll need you to do some garage shots Wednesday and Thursday! We're working on two different "Le Mans with..." major teams and they ought to be really excellent pieces with full cooperation of the teams. But cheer up, there won't be more than a little work on race weekend except anything we can pinch from you of our chosen teams on track. (Which may solve your scooter problem too, BTW).

We'll be at the race from Sunday to Sunday, so maybe some other early bird will be able to take you round.
Old 12 Apr 2004, 02:35 (Ref:936925)   #19
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
brian labans "le mans 24 hours" is quite good for photos. but then i'm slightly biased...
Whatever do you mean, Kerr?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 12 Apr 2004, 08:38 (Ref:937085)   #20
kdr
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
Whatever do you mean, Kerr?
It could have been worse...i've had a "Ken" and a "Kirk" credit. Thankfully neither as bad as the time my work colleague Clive was credited as "Olive"!
Old 13 Apr 2004, 13:08 (Ref:938277)   #21
djb
Veteran

just to let you all know that I'm still alive--had visitors all weekend, taking them here and there, doin this and that, and hadn't logged on to the internet until just now. Shall take time to read all the responses later today.
Old 13 Apr 2004, 14:26 (Ref:938361)   #22
BillandLara
Racer

BillandLara should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with Ayse, it ain't a gonna....

right? OK!

Those bookshops in Hay on Wye, blow your mind! Whatever the subject it's there. Amazing place.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 04:16 (Ref:939016)   #23
djb
Veteran

Re: Re: planning ahead for LeMans-corners,24hrs of light etc etc

Quote:
David, etc etc etc all about not talking about you know what and me being sent to my room if I do etc etc
ha ha ha! you know, this morning as I went through my email to find a phone number to call in France, I saw all the replies to this and as yours was the first, you had me going there for a moment, thinking, "blimey, what's he all offended at..."

Murphy's Law you know, if I don't prepare mentally and stuff for the gear for the possibility, it WILL happen. Photography wise I've never really had to deal with an overabundance of you-know-what ,combined with long periods of exposure to it, and I don't believe in the ostrich method of preparation -have done enough camping, canoe trips and bicycle trips to put much faith in "hope". So, if it keeps you happy, I won't mention it out loud, but I'll still be thinking of plastic bags and duct tape and anoraks.
Old 14 Apr 2004, 04:37 (Ref:939028)   #24
djb
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by kdr
KDR, thanks for the timing tips, makes sense (about the relatively short time of the nice stuff) and this is exactly why I want to get my act in gear beforehand. Btw, to be very straight up, I'm small potatoes compared to the shooters you edit, there aien't a 400 2.8 in sight for me, but I make the best with what I have and go at it seriously.

As for marshalls, yup, they're generally a friendly bunch, and like with anyone, geniune interest in what they're doing in any language is always an ice breaker-I'm lucky to have French.

and finally, regarding scooters, unlikely I'll get one, but at least because of the motorcycle days, I can bump start anything from a bike to a minivan.

cheers
Old 14 Apr 2004, 04:38 (Ref:939030)   #25
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...

To be............ orrrr not to be...........

....in a wet year.

Are we ? Or aren't we ?