Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Sep 2015, 19:15 (Ref:3574064)   #1576
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The Gibson/Zytek LMP2 engine has been finalized as a 4.2 liter V8. Whether it's a clean sheet of paper design or will owe much to the old Zytek "Z" engine family isn't clear.
Old 15 Sep 2015, 23:08 (Ref:3574120)   #1577
Jam3s
Racer

Jam3s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe there's the requirement to go Direct Injection which will at least mean an overheal of heads (and thus everything else), they may decide to start clean. Excited for this engine, P2's with an extra 100hp is tasty.
Old 16 Sep 2015, 01:06 (Ref:3574143)   #1578
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam3s View Post
I believe there's the requirement to go Direct Injection which will at least mean an overheal of heads (and thus everything else), they may decide to start clean. Excited for this engine, P2's with an extra 100hp is tasty.
They changed that requirement at the end to be either direct or port injection. Not saying that was for Gibson, but it could have been.
Old 17 Oct 2015, 19:37 (Ref:3583636)   #1579
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
S365 writes of increases to cost caps sums for next year. 18500 euros in open tops and 13500 in coupes.

Isn't it great how they are always reasoning changes of the future with cheaper budget requirements, incl with the new spec regs, yet slowly still widening the spectrum of allowed maximum sums.
Old 17 Oct 2015, 22:52 (Ref:3583682)   #1580
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah Chiana, we have to deal with Spec engines for cost reasons (despite no teams complaining) and they are increasing the cost cap anyway.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 08:41 (Ref:3584293)   #1581
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry I need to say this and get it off my chest....

I have to say this new LMP2 engine has tragedy written all over it already, this is basically very similar as the last LMP1-Zytek engine, and I seem to remember it was a mess of a thing........a 600hp V8 normally aspirated LMP engine is a very highly strung unit, and will shake the chassis to pieces, even if the engine lasts, the gearboxes and chassis + electronics will be vibrated to hell and back......hence I dont believe it will be reliable, I can foresee many unhappy LMP2 runners with either expired engines or constant retirements due to excessive chassis vibrations.

If Zytek are planning on making the engine reliable and last the distance and re-build intervals, then they will need to start from a clean piece of paper and design a robust engine and not a spindly light weight thing that lasts as long as a mayfly.......I see trouble ahead in LMP2, and it will just drive costs higher and higher

ahhhh.... that feels better, have said it now B-)
Old 20 Oct 2015, 11:46 (Ref:3584316)   #1582
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Sorry I need to say this and get it off my chest....

I have to say this new LMP2 engine has tragedy written all over it already, this is basically very similar as the last LMP1-Zytek engine, and I seem to remember it was a mess of a thing........a 600hp V8 normally aspirated LMP engine is a very highly strung unit, and will shake the chassis to pieces, even if the engine lasts, the gearboxes and chassis + electronics will be vibrated to hell and back......hence I dont believe it will be reliable, I can foresee many unhappy LMP2 runners with either expired engines or constant retirements due to excessive chassis vibrations.

If Zytek are planning on making the engine reliable and last the distance and re-build intervals, then they will need to start from a clean piece of paper and design a robust engine and not a spindly light weight thing that lasts as long as a mayfly.......I see trouble ahead in LMP2, and it will just drive costs higher and higher

ahhhh.... that feels better, have said it now B-)
I'm guessing the current, Nissan-based LMP2 V8 is a fairly large lump, being a stock block. And it fits current LMP2 chassis, and these are within the weight limit. So Gibson should have some scope to build something fairly robust for the new regs, particularly since they won't have to worry about any competition.

Is 140bhp/litre really that highly strung these days? I suppose running flat out for 6 (or 24) hours works you through your life cycle pretty quickly...
Old 20 Oct 2015, 12:57 (Ref:3584330)   #1583
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yes the Nissan is a stock block VK based engine with 4.5 litres, but its only pushing 450bhp, so they say........taking it to 600hp is a different situation, and I dont believe it would work.......I heard the LMP2 engine was going to be a bespoke un-named race engine, so kind of rules out any base engine like the Nissan, I think this is the whole problem with LMP2 whereby for the past 10 years, the manufacturers have been hiding there, and the ACO have only just realized it, so now the are chasing everyone out of the bush who can actually afford LMP1 in the new privateer class.......personally I think its a good move as LMP1 needs some more plucky privateers
Old 20 Oct 2015, 15:25 (Ref:3584352)   #1584
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Maybe the new LMP2 engine will be a dud, but good thing IMSA will have a whole slew of engines that work and could be plucked in!
Old 20 Oct 2015, 18:44 (Ref:3584394)   #1585
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
yes the Nissan is a stock block VK based engine with 4.5 litres, but its only pushing 450bhp, so they say........taking it to 600hp is a different situation, and I dont believe it would work.......I heard the LMP2 engine was going to be a bespoke un-named race engine, so kind of rules out any base engine like the Nissan, I think this is the whole problem with LMP2 whereby for the past 10 years, the manufacturers have been hiding there, and the ACO have only just realized it, so now the are chasing everyone out of the bush who can actually afford LMP1 in the new privateer class.......personally I think its a good move as LMP1 needs some more plucky privateers
I don't think anybody would begrudge the ACO for trying to get more privateers in LMP1, but "gently" pushing them out of LMP2 doesn't address the increased cost to run in the top class. I don't think these manufacturers who have hidden in LMP2 until now will be quite so keen to help their customers make up the shortfall.

As for the engine I hope Gibson do leave plenty of headroom for reliability's sake. But the potential for vibration problems worries me, especially if the new block ends up smaller than the current VK45 (which I think would struggle with a 33% increase in output for the same duty cycles). But if they stroke it out too much will they run the risk of installation issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Maybe the new LMP2 engine will be a dud, but good thing IMSA will have a whole slew of engines that work and could be plucked in!
But they won't be bespoke un-branded units, which goes against what the ACO are trying to do with LMP2...

Old 20 Oct 2015, 18:56 (Ref:3584398)   #1586
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The Gibson/Zytek V8 is intended to be an "off the shelf" customer unit that a team themselves or with some sort of tie-in can put their name on the valve covers aside from the stock Gibson Technologies branding.

And as far as having a 550-600bhp 4.2 liter flat crank V8 last the whole 24 hours without major problems, right now, you might as well throw darts at a dart board at random. Porsche, HPD and Toyota had 3.4 flat crank V8s pumping out over 500bhp (about 600 for Toyota) that lasted the 24 hours without issue, and usually put their cars solidly in the top 10 overall. But the Toyota was in an LMP1 car in large part built around that engine. The Porsche V8 was equally as integrated into the RS Spyder's chassis, and the HPD V8 was fitted into heavily modified Courage/Oreca LC70-series chassis that were adapted for it (or based heavily on the LC70 in the case of the post 2011 HPD LMP1 cars).

For the non-auto manufacturer aligned makers, it's more bleak, as Zytek (now Gibson) and Judd haven't had a ton of success in the old LMP2 or even LMP675 eras with having their engines, or the cars that they powered, last the LM24 without serious issues.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 18:57 (Ref:3584399)   #1587
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Jay View Post
But they won't be bespoke un-branded units, which goes against what the ACO are trying to do with LMP2...
Yes, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but what I meant was if the un-branded unit fails there are backup options that chassis manufacturers probably will already be able to accommodate. All this talk about potential shortcomings of an engine that doesn't exist is hypothetical to say the least. Gibson could surprise us and come up with a stellar design.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 19:00 (Ref:3584400)   #1588
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Question: is the new spec engine by Gibson also cost-capped?
Old 20 Oct 2015, 19:02 (Ref:3584401)   #1589
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Yes, my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but what I meant was if the un-branded unit fails there are backup options that chassis manufacturers probably will already be able to accommodate.
Don't worry, I got that; I just couldn't pass up the chance to continue the japes.

But as cherunaudi has pointed out, the high-power V8s that have lasted the distance have all been integrated with their chassis to the nth degree. They also all had factory dollar behind them to make sure everything was bang-on. I want Gibson to produce an absolute peach of an engine as well, but the one thing they cannot work around is the lack of resources compared to what manufacturers have available.
Old 20 Oct 2015, 23:58 (Ref:3584464)   #1590
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Question: is the new spec engine by Gibson also cost-capped?
Yes it is
Old 21 Oct 2015, 11:52 (Ref:3584558)   #1591
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

And as far as having a 550-600bhp 4.2 liter flat crank V8 last the whole 24 hours without major problems, right now, you might as well throw darts at a dart board at random.
Maybe it will be a silky-smooth, cross plane crank design.
OK, it won't, but imagine how much better that would sound.
Old 21 Oct 2015, 12:29 (Ref:3584562)   #1592
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll take flat-plane cranks over cross-plane every day of the week! Well actually I'd rather have 50/50 of both or so, but if I had to choose, flat-plane!!
Old 22 Oct 2015, 07:52 (Ref:3584711)   #1593
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
I'll take flat-plane cranks over cross-plane every day of the week! Well actually I'd rather have 50/50 of both or so, but if I had to choose, flat-plane!!
Agreed on the 50/50 split. Unfortunately, variety is no longer encouraged...
Old 30 Dec 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3601051)   #1594
Roninho
Racer

Roninho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Meat

Ok since i had the flu during xmas and had 2 slow recovery days i spend some time summarizing which engines have been used in LMP2 over the past decade (since 2004, when the move was made from LMP 675 to LMP2).
I looked at all entries in LMP2 at Le Mans and the LMS serie. I also looked at the ALMS seasons, but from every season only 2 events (Petit le mans and Sebring). Reason was that wiki didnt list the lmp2 entries clear at the championship season pages and i didnt want to look at all races looking for entries.

Name is the name from wiki as the entry for the engine. Engine are the engine details as provided by wiki, and the years are the years the engine was listed in the results.

There is some overlap in the engines since some were re-badged. For example Judd is listed with a Judd HK, which is also listed under BMW. The AER P07 is listed as AER, MG and Ford.

If i missed anyone please add to the list.

NameEngineLMS active yearsALMS active yrs
AERAER P07 2.0L Turbo I42005-20102005-2006,2009
Alfa RomeoAlfa Romeo 3.0L V62004-2005-
BMWJudd-BMW HK 3.6L V82011-20122011
FordMillington 2.0L Turbo I4-2004
FordFord RY EcoBoost 3.2 L Turbo V6-2012
FordFord Ecoboost 3.5 L V6 Turbo-2014-2015
FordAER 2.0L Turbo I42005-
FordMecachrome 3.4L V82006-
HondaHPD AL7R 3.4L V820102007-2010
HondaHPD HR28TT 2.8L Turbo V620112011-2015
JPXJPX (mader) 3.4L V62004-2005-
JuddJudd KV675 3.4L V8-2004
JuddJudd XV675 3.4L V82004-2007, 20092005-2007
JuddJudd DB 3.4L V82008-20102010
JuddJudd HK 3.6L V82013-20152012-2015
LotusJudd 3.6 L V8-2012
MazdaMazda R20B 2.0L 3-R-2005-2010
MazdaMazda MZR-R 2.0L Turbo I42008-2009-
Mazda2.2 L SKYACTIV-D*(SH-VPTS)*I4*Turbo*D-2014-2015
MazdaÉlan 1.9 LI4 Turbo2014-2015-
MecachromeMecachrome 3.4L V82005-
MGAER XP20 2.0L Turbo I42004-20052004
MGAER VQL 3.0L V6-2004
Nicholson McLarenNicholson McLaren 3.3L V82005, 20092005
NissanAER VQL 3.0L V620042004-2005
NissanNissan 4.0L V8-2010
NissanNissan VK45DE 4.5L V82011-20152011-2014
PeugeotPeugeot 3.4L V62004-
PorschePorsche MR6 3.4L V82008-20092006-2010
ZytekZytek ZG348 3.4L V82006-20102006-2008

So some questions:
  • JPX engine: i see it listed with a reference to Mader, but also seen mentions Willman and Pilbeam. Anybody got some info on this engine?
  • Alfa Romeo: Anyone got some info on this engine?
  • Peugeot: Is this the AER or is it a different engine?
  • There was some discussion on this forum on a IES Nissan engine. I could not find it as an entry, did i miss it, is it under a different name in the list, or did it never participate?
  • I would have thought that Mugen participated at Le Mans, but i guess it was only in LMP1? Because i couldnt find a reference to them.
Old 31 Dec 2015, 15:40 (Ref:3601181)   #1595
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
When was Ford's Ecoboost used in a P2? 2017 perhaps?
Old 31 Dec 2015, 15:50 (Ref:3601184)   #1596
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
When was Ford's Ecoboost used in a P2? 2017 perhaps?
was it in Ian Dawson's car? I remember some team with an "unauthorized" effort or something at the same time the dP motors came out.
Old 31 Dec 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3601186)   #1597
Coach Ep
Veteran

That was 2010ish, Roninho's table says 2014-2015 (in its latest version) so I'm thinking DP, not P2. If so, Chevy (and probably others as well) should also be on that list (?)

(don't wanna open the DP vs. P2 can of worms again but just pointing it out...)
Old 31 Dec 2015, 17:12 (Ref:3601212)   #1598
Roninho
Racer

Sorry i made a mistake, my full list included a part of the lmp 675 period and the uscc period. I did not post the lmp 675 engines, but forgot to remove the 2014-2015 engines under alms (these were raced in the "p" class). I will update the list later but the ford ecoboost and mazda skyactiv were not raced as p2 afaik.
Old 1 Jan 2016, 13:05 (Ref:3601400)   #1599
Roninho
Racer

Updated the table, in red are engines that were used in USCC in 14-15 in the "P'' class in a car that did not have the ''DP'' name in it (which i assume is therefor under the lmp2 rulings). If not correct please let me know.

NameEngineLMS active yearsALMS active yrs
AERAER P07 2.0L Turbo I42005-20102005-2006,2009
Alfa RomeoAlfa Romeo 3.0L V62004-2005-
BMWJudd-BMW HK 3.6L V82011-20122011
FordMillington 2.0L Turbo I4-2004
FordFord RY EcoBoost 3.2 L Turbo V6-2012
FordFord Ecoboost 3.5 L V6 Turbo-2014-2015
FordAER 2.0L Turbo I42005-
FordMecachrome 3.4L V82006-
HondaHPD AL7R 3.4L V820102007-2010
HondaHPD HR28TT 2.8L Turbo V620112011-2015
JPXJPX (mader) 3.4L V62004-2005-
JuddJudd KV675 3.4L V8-2004
JuddJudd XV675 3.4L V82004-2007, 20092005-2007
JuddJudd DB 3.4L V82008-20102010
JuddJudd HK 3.6L V82013-20152012-2015
LotusJudd 3.6 L V8-2012
MazdaMazda R20B 2.0L 3-R-2005-2010
MazdaMazda MZR-R 2.0L Turbo I42008-2009-
Mazda2.2 L SKYACTIV-D*(SH-VPTS)*I4*Turbo*D-2014-2015
MazdaÉlan 1.9 LI4 Turbo2014-2015-
MecachromeMecachrome 3.4L V82005-
MGAER XP20 2.0L Turbo I42004-20052004
MGAER VQL 3.0L V6-2004
Nicholson McLarenNicholson McLaren 3.3L V82005, 20092005
NissanAER VQL 3.0L V620042004-2005
NissanNissan 4.0L V8-2010
NissanNissan VK45DE 4.5L V82011-20152011-2014
PeugeotPeugeot 3.4L V62004-
PorschePorsche MR6 3.4L V82008-20092006-2010
ZytekZytek ZG348 3.4L V82006-20102006-2008

Anybody got some info on the Alfa, Peugeot, JPX, IES and Mugen engines i referred in my previous post to?
Old 1 Jan 2016, 14:05 (Ref:3601408)   #1600
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 3.5 ecoboost was in Ganassi's Riley DP, although "P" class, not P2. The Mazda Diesel was in a genuine, if vintage Lola/Multimatic P2.