Old 30 May 2013, 19:50 (Ref:3255669)   #51
Scooter185
Racer

United States
Connecticut
Scooter185 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
People were so worried about the change over time into a paved road, but I think it has revitalized the event.
During the n24, the guys said something to the same effect.
Old 31 May 2013, 23:26 (Ref:3256201)   #52
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
JPD is back again this year, but instead of the Dacia body, a Mini body instead; I believe more horsepower this year as well, from the Nissan GT-R engine I believe

Old 1 Jun 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3256227)   #53
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
they paved the road???????? what idiot would do that? epic fail.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 01:09 (Ref:3256246)   #54
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAS33 View Post
they paved the road???????? what idiot would do that? epic fail.
You can thank the environMENTAL wackos for that mess. Pretty much these days in Colorado just about anything man made or done by man gets sued by environMENTAL wacko groups. The state used to have a vibrant mining and oil/gas business but not anymore. Colorado Springs got sued by the sierra club terrorist group because gravel from the road would roll downhill. Apparently the fact that Pikes Peak is one big mountain of rock that constantly erodes and has rocks of all sizes roll downhill everyday seemed to pass everyone by because we no longer live in a nation that has any common sense.

But whatever, the road was probably going to be paved someday and it has been, as Mt Evans, a lesser known but just as high mountain had it's road paved years ago. At the end of the day it has opened up the mountain to a lot of interesting cars. The sierra club terrorists have stopped 1% of the rocks rolling downhill and we have a paved road with 800 hp race cars.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3256297)   #55
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah

Thanks for all this stuff America, being the 52 state we just follow on from you about 5 years later, and have exactly the same issue!

Not sure I want to be that closely linked to a country that has 48,000 seat churches and free guns if you sign up to a certain kind of bank account!

But hey
Old 1 Jun 2013, 09:51 (Ref:3256337)   #56
MatsNorway
Rookie

MatsNorway should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with the mini is the lack of diffusers. Its a must have to be competitive.
Old 1 Jun 2013, 11:32 (Ref:3256363)   #57
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
JPD is back again this year, but instead of the Dacia body, a Mini body instead; I believe more horsepower this year as well, from the Nissan GT-R engine I believe

I like the car except for the engine.
In my opinion it should have a Mini or BMW engine.
The same for the Mercedes SLK. Why a Judd and not a Mercedes engine?
Old 2 Jun 2013, 04:37 (Ref:3256604)   #58
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I like the car except for the engine.
In my opinion it should have a Mini or BMW engine.
The same for the Mercedes SLK. Why a Judd and not a Mercedes engine?
Essais Mini Pikes Peak 2013, circuit Pau Arnos
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bpGf_bBvoog
Old 2 Jun 2013, 20:56 (Ref:3256836)   #59
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!Ferrari333SP has a real shot at the podium!
The car Romain Dumas is driving this year; the Norma. Apparently it's like 300-something kilograms lighter than Seb Loeb's Peugeot, but still has around 650 HP, so should still be a threat for the overall.

Old 2 Jun 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3256838)   #60
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
My predictions for the event this year

1. JPD
2. Rhys Millen
3. Seb Loeb
4. Romain Dumas
Old 2 Jun 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3256844)   #61
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have the same top 4 but Millen 4th!!

No way for Dayraut the car is too new, Loeb is yer man, if he can learn it quickly enough
Old 2 Jun 2013, 21:37 (Ref:3256851)   #62
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I would have the same top 4 but Millen 4th!!

No way for Dayraut the car is too new, Loeb is yer man, if he can learn it quickly enough
Dayraut isn't new at all; he's done the event the last two years, in basically the same vehicle. The Mini is last year's Dacia, with a new body basically, and some more horsepower. Rhys Millen will have a brand new vehicle, so if it stays reliable/fast, he'll get either 1st or 2nd. 875HP in the Peugeot I don't think is enough HP, to win overall. Plus, this will be Loeb's first time up the mountain, where experience in hill climbing counts, so JPD and Rhys have a greater chance at winning I think.
Old 2 Jun 2013, 23:21 (Ref:3256881)   #63
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
The car Romain Dumas is driving this year; the Norma. Apparently it's like 300-something kilograms lighter than Seb Loeb's Peugeot, but still has around 650 HP, so should still be a threat for the overall.

Norbert Santos talking about the car
http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2013...ikes-peak.html
Old 2 Jun 2013, 23:33 (Ref:3256884)   #64
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's Tajima's GT86, but yeah, as people have already said, this car isn't on the list. Shame that he doesn't wheel out his Suzuki or something!

It's really close to call it this year, I'd be inclined to go with Loeb, the man is a beast on all surfaces... I'd go as far to call him one of the best drivers in the world, just never really had the chance to prove it! Can't sleep on Rhys Millen either, the unlimited class looks very interesting this year!
Old 3 Jun 2013, 00:22 (Ref:3256899)   #65
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneesh99 View Post
Here's Tajima's GT86, but yeah, as people have already said, this car isn't on the list. Shame that he doesn't wheel out his Suzuki or something!

It's really close to call it this year, I'd be inclined to go with Loeb, the man is a beast on all surfaces... I'd go as far to call him one of the best drivers in the world, just never really had the chance to prove it! Can't sleep on Rhys Millen either, the unlimited class looks very interesting this year!
Romain Dumas is got to have a serious chance.

650 HP / 540Kg must be one of the best weight ratios.

Also got good aero.

Not so sure about a 2.0l turbo producing 650 bhp. Wonder is it Renault, Honda or ?????
Old 3 Jun 2013, 07:30 (Ref:3256978)   #66
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Norma make the best hillclimb cars in the Eueopean series, them and Osella make the very best cars for that category, guys like Faggioli, Steiner, Demuth all use V8 powered Osealls and Norma's, that will be why Dumas is using one. Someone like Faggioli would get close to the top guys believe me.

I just dont rate Millen sorry, might be good, but I have seen him doing a few things against really quick guys like rallycross and the like and he was properly found out!!

Dayraut is an ice racer! Very good car control, but the car is new, and though it will be similar to teh Dacia he used before (that is why its Nissan powered coz Dacia is basically budget Renault owned by Nissan, and this Mini will basically be a marketing shell dumped over the Dacia spaceframe) I am sure it will have teething issues maybe.

Loeb's car is factory! He is by far the best rally driver of recent times on a track he wil learn quickly in a factory car develoepd by the best rally team in the world!

All things being equal he will batter everyone!
Old 3 Jun 2013, 11:29 (Ref:3257076)   #67
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post

Also got good aero.

Not so sure about a 2.0l turbo producing 650 bhp. Wonder is it Renault, Honda or ?????
That sort of power from a 2 litre isn't unreasonable (some of the un-restricted rallycross 2 litres were in the 800bhp bracket from 2 litre engines). For Pikes Peak they can use dustbin sized turbos and super jungle juice fuel so that kind of power is relatively easy (not cheap though!).

Have to say though - that car is truly hideous
Old 3 Jun 2013, 13:21 (Ref:3257132)   #68
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Really?

I think it looks alright actually, there are a few on the Euro hills that run BMW V8's and stuff, and they look and go really well.

Just a sort of big Radical really.

But Bert is right, there is really no limit on power fomr a 4 cylinder angine, proper tuned Evos and the like can reach over 1000hp, and remember the BMW F1 engine, 1500hp on toluene from a 1.5 litre 4 cylinder in 1985!!

And 800 reliably really in race mode.

Rallycross cars I doubt had much more than 700, any more was really unuseable, even Pat sRS was not much more than that, no matter who you believe!
Old 3 Jun 2013, 15:14 (Ref:3257167)   #69
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Just a sort of big Radical really.
Like I said - hideous

There certainly seems to be a bit more interest in Pikes Peak this year - I just hope that things like the 208 and MINI keep on coming and there isn't a shift to cars like that Norma abomination (which I fear there will be now it's all paved).
Old 3 Jun 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3257168)   #70
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Quote:
Norma make the best hillclimb cars in the Eueopean series, them and Osella make the very best cars for that category, guys like Faggioli, Steiner, Demuth all use V8 powered Osealls and Norma's, that will be why Dumas is using one. Someone like Faggioli would get close to the top guys believe me.

I just dont rate Millen sorry, might be good, but I have seen him doing a few things against really quick guys like rallycross and the like and he was properly found out!!

Dayraut is an ice racer! Very good car control, but the car is new, and though it will be similar to teh Dacia he used before (that is why its Nissan powered coz Dacia is basically budget Renault owned by Nissan, and this Mini will basically be a marketing shell dumped over the Dacia spaceframe) I am sure it will have teething issues maybe.

Loeb's car is factory! He is by far the best rally driver of recent times on a track he wil learn quickly in a factory car develoepd by the best rally team in the world!

All things being equal he will batter everyone!
Don't rate Rhys Millen? He's been doing this race for many years now; he has the speed and experience to get up the mountain quickly, so I don't see at all how you can't rate Millen. Besides Tajima, he has more experience than anyone else in the top class, so assuming his new car stays reliable, he'll finish either 1st or 2nd. As for Dayraut, the car isn't really new; basically last year's car with a Mini body over it, so I don't see how it'll have teething issues. I'm pretty sure it'll have more power than the Peugeot, and with Dayraut's experience on the mountain, there's a good chance he'll finish with a faster time than Loeb. It's a factory effort yes, and Loeb is a quick rally driver, but I don't think he has enough experience to get the overall this year.
Old 3 Jun 2013, 22:58 (Ref:3257355)   #71
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Sorry dude, you rate Millen, I do not it's as simple as that.

I rate Tanner Foust, and Pastrana and a few others, but I don't rate Block, Deegan or a few others.

Millen will be quick no doubt, as he has done hundreds of runs up there, but his Dad was the boss let's face it!
Old 3 Jun 2013, 23:50 (Ref:3257372)   #72
aneesh99
Veteran

United Kingdom
aneesh99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

I rate Tanner Foust, and Pastrana and a few others, but I don't rate Block, Deegan or a few others.

Millen will be quick no doubt, as he has done hundreds of runs up there, but his Dad was the boss let's face it!
Fair enough, then again, I don't really rate Foust or Pastrana either

On to Rod though, I'll just leave this video here for old times sake!
Old 4 Jun 2013, 02:37 (Ref:3257417)   #73
Ferrari333SP
Veteran

United States
Minnesota
Quote:

You can't really rate Rhys with Tanner or Pastrana, as neither of them have done Pikes Peak(as far as I'm aware). I'm rating on terms of hill climb skill and Pikes Peak experience, which Rhys has a vast amount more of(although, you could potentially include Loeb's domination of Rally Germany's paved roads as "hill climb" experience, but it really isn't the same). If Rhys's new car stays reliable, it's either him or JPD for the win.

But whatever, this should be an awesome event nonetheless; I just want to see the record smashed this year. Paving the road is bringing in these awesome new entries, and the event will only get more popular as the years go on, bringing even crazier entries.
Old 4 Jun 2013, 06:57 (Ref:3257463)   #74
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
IN all honesty, Loeb is a rally expert, this is basically a fast tarmac raly stage.

Pastrana has won on everything, is hugely talented and is now doing fairly well in NASCAR. Bikes, rallying, (quicker than Block most of the time in US) and is a huge crowd draw.

I dont know so much about Millen, other than in rallycross where he had a half decent car and was utterly owned!! Mainly by everyone! I know he was good in drift and stuff, but this just means he can drive sideways, Foust proved he can move on.
Foust would be awesome there too, seems able to turn his hand to anything, shame Olsbergs only had the one go at Pikes Peak.

PP is the Millen main course, so he should be quick with all the knowledge and experience.

For me Dumas has a good chance, then Loeb, Dayraut and Millen if noone has troubles.

This is a factory Peugeot!! Not some knocked up back door effort!
Old 4 Jun 2013, 13:49 (Ref:3257607)   #75
markku
Rookie

markku should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWRv12 View Post

Also got good aero.

It seems to be Honda. Despite what you might read, currently it´s not very clear if it will be turbocharged, supercharged or a normally aspirated unit.

It'd better be turbo or supercharged, as you might expect when you face that altitude.