Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:21 (Ref:561802)   #1
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bravo! Car safety

After watching the race again, I have to say Bravo! to the men designing the modern F1 car. After so many shunts, some quite spectacular, not a single driver was seriously injured. Excellent work people, everybody involved in making this sport safer should be commended!
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:25 (Ref:561813)   #2
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Five years ago, Alonso would have two broken legs like Panis AT THE VERY LEAST. Good stuff.
Old 7 Apr 2003, 16:26 (Ref:561816)   #3
Tristan
Veteran

...well, you know what I mean.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 16:19 (Ref:562929)   #4
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes I have to agree there, well done all the designers. I dread to think what injuries could have happened if the accidents had occured only a few years ago.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 16:44 (Ref:562956)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed, applause all around for those designing the safest race cars we've ever seen. I may be a bit psycho with circuits, but I've no argument with the car being as safe as possible!
Old 8 Apr 2003, 16:54 (Ref:562968)   #6
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the HANS device might have helped Alonso in his big shunt too actually... It's hard to say, but you'd think in a head on collision like that he'd have some neck pain as well, which he didn't seem to have.

I wouldn't rest yet though. To an extent it was good luck that prevent it from being worse. All that has to happen is a car hit the wall at a wrong angle and people will be saying F1 cars are unsafe again.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 8 Apr 2003, 18:25 (Ref:563048)   #7
Tristan
Veteran

Actually, I think we should be appluading the FIA too. Without them the car designers would not be making their cars as safe as they are.
Old 8 Apr 2003, 19:14 (Ref:563079)   #8
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Well, Tristan, the FIA regs have been a mixed bag at best... Even blind squirrels still find a few nuts.

But yes, without the rules, the fuel tank would still be sculpted around the driver's body!
Old 9 Apr 2003, 00:44 (Ref:563435)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's amazing how far car safety has come in such a short time but they can't afford to rest on their laurels & get complacent.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 14:47 (Ref:566372)   #10
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a worthy thread...over the 43 years I've followed motor racing, I've lost count of the drivers I seen die or maimed in our sport in single seater formulae, (not to mention tears shead)
Old 11 Apr 2003, 14:55 (Ref:566385)   #11
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Yeah, but did you see the marshall have to jump over the tyre wall when TGF (I think, but it may have been one of the many others) crashed at turn 3?

He was lucky, very lucky.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 15:02 (Ref:566393)   #12
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the worst thing i have seen is one of thepics in autosport! One of the marshals was standing between the car and the wall, now i know they say keep the car between u and the track, but if another car had come flying in then he could have been squashed completely!
Old 11 Apr 2003, 15:09 (Ref:566400)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think we need to thank all the Oval nutters in the USA personally. Without their crazy crashes, nobody'd have bothered with frontal impact safety at all. Now we see the benefits. But the IRL and Champ cars do have an advantage; they're a bit bulkier...
Old 16 Apr 2003, 18:03 (Ref:571387)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I think the HANS device might have helped Alonso in his big shunt too actually... It's hard to say, but you'd think in a head on collision like that he'd have some neck pain as well, which he didn't seem to have.
Quote:
Pat Symond, Renault's executive director of engineering, was confident that the device helped Alonso escape unhurt from his heavy impact with the wall. "Overall, I think the device worked extremely well," he said. "The facts of the accident were that after a relatively light impact with the wheel on the circuit, of around 4.5g, the accident data recorder indicated the first impact with the wall was a 35g lateral and 35g longitudinal impact, followed by a second side impact of 60g.

"When you consider that our tests are conducted at 40g, that shows these were very big impacts. However, Fernando has suffered absolutely no problems with his neck, which is unusual in an accident of this magnitude. I think we can judge that the device did prevent him from a degree of injury, and we are very pleased with its performance."

-autosport

Last edited by paul-collins; 16 Apr 2003 at 18:04.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 16 Apr 2003, 18:27 (Ref:571411)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I want to see Imola return to its original configuration, with the flat Tamburello curve, flat Villenuve kink, and no back chicane.

Tracks have been castrated in the name of paraniod safety.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 21:49 (Ref:571572)   #16
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I loved the Tamburello, too, but there is simply not enough room for a decent run off area. The wall cannot be moved back because there is a stream behind it. IThe chicane is dreadful but they need a major re-design of the whole sequence. Returning to the old layout is just not an option.
Old 16 Apr 2003, 23:19 (Ref:571642)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

I've said it dozens of times, EERO, and no one's ever given me a reason why they can't take the apex of Tamburello (the old curve), and bring it towards the INSIDE wall, making room for runoff on the outside. Just seems simple to me.

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 16 Apr 2003 at 23:21.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 08:51 (Ref:571891)   #18
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is no such thing as a "safe" racetrack. Going back to the original Tumberello however is not an option, even if moved inwards. Sadly I know, but the death of Mr. Senna was sadder....

And as far as the us oval nutters here in the States comming up with new devises, well they have been much needed. The last F1 driver to be killed was Senna in 94, the lsat prominant driver to be killed in the big three here in the States, "CART, IRL, NASCAR" was Dale Earnhardt in the 2001 Daytona 500. But before that, there was many deaths within a short period of time.
Old 17 Apr 2003, 23:47 (Ref:572657)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
But with car safety as it is now the cars could withstand a bomb blast. I think returning to the original Imola Tamburello wouldn't be such a bad thing, Why not? The final 2 turns at Indy are similar, as it "The Tunnel" at Monaco.

Even so, the safety brigade would probably make them build it inside of its original position, which would have been the calm sensible thing to do after 94'.
Old 19 Apr 2003, 02:03 (Ref:573676)   #20
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes the tunnel in Monaco is bad news waiting to happen, but indy is another matter. The cars going through Tumberello would be traveling at a higher rate of speed, plus there is the soft wall in use at indy. I wonder if they have thought about putting it at any other tracks?