Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 4 Dec 2000, 16:38 (Ref:51064)   #1
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Guys,
I am currently investigating a number of things. I have got myself a drive (as you may or may not know) next year in Sports Sedans, or Improved Production depends on what the owner (my Dad) decided he wants to race in. Anyway after next year all things going well I am going to be in am position where I want to move up. This is where I get stuck if I am able to obtain the budget I need would it be better for me to run Australian Formula 3 or to run GTP? Both have their benefits and their downfalls. firstly Formula 3, if I win the category, highly unlikely but just humour me, the winner of the formula Three Championship gets to Test for a top European Formula 3 team. Which then opens bigger and better doors. However if I choose GTP I open myself up for Australian Touring Car Championship drives (all depending on how I go and how much money I have behind me) GTP may attract more sponsors because of size of vehicle and television coverage also runs most rounds with V8 series. Formula 3 is an International category in openwheelers which is cheaper to buy vehicles than it is in GTP.

I would like some experienced people to help me out here. It is all hypothetical and depending on a number of factors, but if I start now I have a better chance of securing some major money and product sponsorship.

Anyway

look forward to hearing from you.

Cam
Old 5 Jan 2001, 12:42 (Ref:56251)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Definitely GTP, young Aussie drivers far more talented and sucessful than yourself have thrown everything into an international openwheeler career and come away empty handed. GTP has excellent TV coverage, it rates well and the punters love it, sponsorship should be relatively easy to find and at the end of the series you should still have a very saleable asset. Plus, there are so many wallies in GTP, if you choose the right class it's easy to look like a real star!
Old 9 Jan 2001, 16:38 (Ref:57612)   #3
Vandas
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Vandas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave,

Yeah it seems that GTP is a much more career oriented class. But I just want to drive an openwheeler, and Formula Holdens are just too god damned expensive. I have had a few people approach me recently about GTP. Don't you love how the sharks in motor racing operate? They smell blood, well money is the blood they smell. And they swarm, not that we have money but that we are looking to expand in the future and it is like everyone wants a bit. What I want to do, is see how my season goes. I will be getting my C3 license around June, and then will be running in Sports Sedans. It should be fun, and if I get the times I may get a run in Improved Production cars at the Island Magic round in November this year.

Yeah I know only too well the young Australians that sink their money into open wheeler drives. New Zealanders as well. I know Jason Liefting (NZ F/Holden) is still trying to find extra support to fund his driving career. And Paul Stevenson is back looking into Formula Holdens again.

Anyway thanks for the reply to my initial post.