Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 15 Nov 2010, 14:53 (Ref:2791067)   #76
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Completely agree with that logic Bella, best to ensure an affordable season in something you know well than a risky dear season in a team/category you don't.

But Brendon's probably got his tongue hanging out and wide eyes for a full season in the quicker category now. Coloni have proved useful in the last few rounds so he could do worse and that way he'd avoid being a 'stooge' for the Grubmullers?

But as we know we don't always get what we want (and he knows that from his Red Bull involvement I suspect)

Now the Bianchi thing:

Did you or anyone else see Luca Di Montezemelo talking to him in the Ferrari pit pre-race yesterday?? There was a furrowed brow and midly irritated look on Luca's face and Jules appeared to be doing a lot of open palm gestures and sheepish looks.

Oh and then Nic Todt burst into view probably to stop Bianchi digging a bigger hole for himself.

Thought that was hilarious!!!

Last edited by chunterer; 15 Nov 2010 at 18:54.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 17:03 (Ref:2791145)   #77
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i was reading an interview with an ex-gp2 driver who was saying that essentially, fr3.5 has absolutely nothing to be jealous of with regards to gp2. he seems to think that from the point of view of a driver with sponsors to entertain, a career to look after and value for money fr3.5 is just as good. the grids are closer, they're a better at equality between cars and a good driver makes a difference. the value for money bit was interesting because personally, much as i love the world series, the media coverage is pants, and in terms of trying to sell space on cars it's useless. buuut... you can invite as many guests as you can fit in your awning, and show them around and let them feel a part of it. especially important i'd say when you're getting your money from people who aren't too fussed about using it as a genuine marketing tool but would rather get a bit closer and feel more a part of something.

i'm not sure from a technical viewpoint how much is going to change with the new evolution of the gp2 car (anyone got any input on that?) but the gp2insider blog suggests some fairly hefty budgets for 2011. i just wonder how many exiles from there fr3.5 could see over the winter as they realise their money just won't stretch that far.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 20:13 (Ref:2792809)   #78
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems as though the GP2 boys have been testing today, new cars look quite....odd.

Interesting to see that Karun was testing for Ocean. Is he stepping back into GP2 for next year? Would love to see him get a seat in F1, buy seeing as there doesn't appear to be many seats left for '11, GP2 may be his next best option.
Old 18 Nov 2010, 20:59 (Ref:2792826)   #79
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to todays Autosport mag Chandhok has no intention of moving back to GP2. He and Adam Carroll are just testing the new car for whichever teams.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2793493)   #80
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turvey lost RSF support as they cannot pay a 2.2 millions € budget for season next year in gp2 as every team requires at least...
Old 20 Nov 2010, 19:20 (Ref:2793537)   #81
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf1 Fan View Post
Turvey lost RSF support as they cannot pay a 2.2 millions € budget for season next year in gp2 as every team requires at least...
Where did you hear that? If true, that's a big problem for him at such a crucial stage of his career. I mean, jesus he will be a title challenger next season if he continues in the category!!!
Old 20 Nov 2010, 20:14 (Ref:2793563)   #82
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next season WSbR will be quite strong
Old 20 Nov 2010, 20:33 (Ref:2793571)   #83
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanalesi View Post
Next season WSbR will be quite strong
Surely a case of 'been there, done that' for Oliver, and besides if he's lost the foundation support, he would need to find money to do FR 3.5 as well.

Maybe McLaren or Mercedes will step in and help out to get him another GP2 drive.
Old 20 Nov 2010, 20:43 (Ref:2793574)   #84
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Where did you hear that? If true, that's a big problem for him at such a crucial stage of his career. I mean, jesus he will be a title challenger next season if he continues in the category!!!
http://www.madeinmotorsport.com/en/h...mme-15244.html
Old 22 Nov 2010, 08:14 (Ref:2794132)   #85
Speed-freak
Rookie

United Kingdom
uk
Speed-freak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
I'm sure I heard Sam Bird's manager talking about the importance of raising funds on a pod-cast a few months back. Very interesting interview he gave.
I don't think Bird has a silver spoon tucked away either. It's a very difficult time to raise sponsorship I should imagine, no matter how fast, talented, skilled and exciting a driver is. The Brits have it tough as they don't have a countries government behind them.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 10:35 (Ref:2794186)   #86
Mak
Veteran

Mak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-freak View Post
I'm sure I heard Sam Bird's manager talking about the importance of raising funds on a pod-cast a few months back. Very interesting interview he gave.
I don't think Bird has a silver spoon tucked away either. It's a very difficult time to raise sponsorship I should imagine, no matter how fast, talented, skilled and exciting a driver is. The Brits have it tough as they don't have a countries government behind them.
Anyone racing at this level has a silver spoon, but the longer and further you go means you need a gold spoon. (No single seater series below F1 is commercially viable) Don't know of to many countries government that sponsor drivers. Some may assist in a small way.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2794204)   #87
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mak View Post
Don't know of to many countries government that sponsor drivers. Some may assist in a small way.
certainly no european ones. i can imagine outside of europe the support of a government even in basic sponsor negotiations would be a huge advantage - a gentle nudge in the right direction for companies for example. you can bet sponsorship money for petrov is going to be a little easier to come by now he's got vladimir putin standing behind him...
Old 22 Nov 2010, 12:24 (Ref:2794208)   #88
Valker
Veteran

Finland
Tampere, Finland
Valker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
certainly no european ones.
I'm quite sure Bulgaria is in Europe.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 12:34 (Ref:2794213)   #89
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
that would depend on your definition of europe good point though, i'd forgotten it's actually part of the eu.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 14:32 (Ref:2794260)   #90
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there testing in Abu Dhabi this week? The only thing i've read is that Jolyon Palmer will be running with iSport, Addax and ART, there's nothing else on Autosport.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2794266)   #91
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
Is there testing in Abu Dhabi this week? The only thing i've read is that Jolyon Palmer will be running with iSport, Addax and ART, there's nothing else on Autosport.
List of drivers for Tuesday from Italiaracing

Esteban Gutierrez – ART
Jan Charouz – ART
Josef Kral – Addax
Charles Pic – Addax
Jake Rosenzweig – Super Nova
Marcus Ericsson – Super Nova
Andrea Caldarelli – Racing Engineering.
Rodolfo Gonzales – Racing Engineering
Robert Wickens – iSport
Jolyon Palmer – iSport
Nathanael Berthon – DAMS
Ivan Samarin – DAMS
Fabio Leimer – Rapax
Armaan Ebraim – Rapax
Roberto Merhi – Arden.
Simon Trummer – Arden
Nicolas Marroc – Ocean
Sam Bird – Ocean
James Jakes – Coloni
Kevin Ceccon – Coloni
Stefano Coletti – Trident.
Julian Leal – Trident
Michael Herck – DPR
Camilo Zorcher - DPR
Old 22 Nov 2010, 14:56 (Ref:2794270)   #92
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah thank you

Is this the last time DPR cars will hit the track then? Also, who is Camilo Zorcher? All of the others are recognised names but Zorcher doesn't even show up on driverdb.com
Old 22 Nov 2010, 15:07 (Ref:2794274)   #93
META4
Veteran

META4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
Ah thank you

Is this the last time DPR cars will hit the track then? Also, who is Camilo Zorcher? All of the others are recognised names but Zorcher doesn't even show up on driverdb.com

http://camilozurcher.com/profile.html

Apparently he is more a mechanic than a driver...
Old 22 Nov 2010, 16:23 (Ref:2794318)   #94
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Not a particularly overwhelming line up of drivers for this first big test is it?
Old 22 Nov 2010, 16:35 (Ref:2794321)   #95
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are they using new tyres for this test same as F1 did, or using the same tyres as the last race there?
Just want to know how accurate they time comparisons will be.
They may yet turn out to be a good bunch but on first glances it doesn't look a great lineup.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 17:04 (Ref:2794328)   #96
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i count 8 that are drivers you'd get excited about seeing race in gp2...
Old 22 Nov 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2794329)   #97
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These are the last tests, that's why DPR are still running and it will be Bridgestone rubber.
Then in February for GP2 Asia...
Old 22 Nov 2010, 20:25 (Ref:2794422)   #98
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i count 8 that are drivers you'd get excited about seeing race in gp2...
8 out of how many though, and I bet you're including those who already have GP2 experience!

Guess we'll have to wait and see who appears at later tests, assuming some decent wannabees think they can afford a season once they've tested the things!
Old 22 Nov 2010, 20:35 (Ref:2794428)   #99
Mr Pink
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
Mr Pink should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marcus Ericsson has tests planed with iSport and Addax as well.
Old 22 Nov 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2794431)   #100
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink View Post
Marcus Ericsson has tests planed with iSport and Addax as well.
Did he test with Paul Jackson's lot last off season?

And did Marcus race for Barwa or was it ART last Asia series, can't quite remember.

He's surely someone who could challenge in the right team next year?