Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Jul 2011, 10:51 (Ref:2913845)   #276
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
In addition..The fact that Porsche, a much smalller company than Toyota feels that the economic climate is good enough just supports the fact that Toyota(with loads more money than Porsche) is ready to come back as well.
porsche is not a independant manufacturer, it is part of VW and they have all the cash they need.
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2913869)   #277
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
porsche is not a independant manufacturer, it is part of VW and they have all the cash they need.
But i don;t think that VW is footing any of the bill....they don't foot the bill at Audi either. I thought thats why Audi didnt run in the Alms. Audi NA and Audi Eu didnt want to pay for i so they just scrapped the program. That would tell me that VW isn't picking up bills....

So i wouldnt expect them to do that at Porsche either. I may have said Porsche is a "small" company but not in terms of profit. Porsche has the money to do it.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 11:57 (Ref:2913872)   #278
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
But i don;t think that VW is footing any of the bill....they don't foot the bill at Audi either. I thought thats why Audi didnt run in the Alms. Audi NA and Audi Eu didnt want to pay for i so they just scrapped the program. That would tell me that VW isn't picking up bills....

So i wouldnt expect them to do that at Porsche either. I may have said Porsche is a "small" company but not in terms of profit. Porsche has the money to do it.
actually i think they are still very much in debt
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.
Old 2 Jul 2011, 11:59 (Ref:2913875)   #279
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by arakis View Post
actually i think they are still very much in debt
Soo...your saying Volkswagen is paying?
Old 2 Jul 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2913938)   #280
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

People often confuse the issue... also Volkswagen is part of the Volkswagen Group... The Group is made up of nine brands from seven European countries: Volkswagen, Audi, Seat, Skoda, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini and Scania. Each brand has its own character and operates as an independent entity on the market...

And don't forget the man who still pulls the strings: Ferdinand K. Piëch... the chairman of the supervisory board of the Volkswagen Group - and race fan... he was the head leading Porsche and Audi to the success.

I also don't think the Group will pay all the bills but maybe Porsche will get support and financial backing.

Old 3 Jul 2011, 01:50 (Ref:2914147)   #281
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Yeah I doubt that. No car company is afraid of a challenge. Everything is beatable! I'd think Toyota is readying a challenge, and is just taking it's time getting things right. I really hope so. And I hope Nissan's P1 ambitions are serious.
I think the thing that is intriguing for Toyota from a marketing standpoint is that they (at least in the US) are viewed as being the undisputed king of hybrids. Hybrids will be the future of Le Mans, Peugeot and Audi may go to them as soon as next year and it seems likely that the Porsche LMP will be hybrid as well. I think Toyota does not want there to be a perception that someone does hybrids better than they do. I'm sure they are looking forward to the challenge of competing at Le Mans, but everything has to be justified financially and I'm sure the beancounters have their scales out and are weighing the pros and cons.

From a technical point of view, there are different ways to do hybrids. Might there be a form of hybrid technology that someone like Toyota would prefer to run that is significantly different from what Porsche, Peugeot, and Audi would prefer to run? If so, which form is advantageous at Le Mans and WEC tracks? Could this cause any issue where there would be rule balancing and the controversy that subsequently follows balancing?
Old 3 Jul 2011, 07:08 (Ref:2914177)   #282
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by carsten66 View Post
And don't forget the man who still pulls the strings: Ferdinand K. Piëch... the chairman of the supervisory board of the Volkswagen Group - and race fan... he was the head leading Porsche and Audi to the success.
...and also a member of the Porsche family.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 07:34 (Ref:2914179)   #283
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The Pug hybrid is a diesel hybrid whereas Porsche & Toyota will be Petrol I would think.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 07:41 (Ref:2914181)   #284
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The Pug hybrid is a diesel hybrid whereas Porsche & Toyota will be Petrol I would think.
It has been mentioned that Peugeot would do petrol again.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 18:27 (Ref:2917556)   #285
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I figure Toyota does the hybrid thing, but how is another story.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 22:29 (Ref:2917662)   #286
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not really sure where to put this, but Guess Racing Europ is targeting Silverstone and maybe Road Atlanta and/or Zuhai this year and Le Mans, Road Atlanta, and Zuhai next year. Will any of this actually happen? It's anyone's guess!

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-7604.html

Their expected drivers from Imola did well for JMB's FLM team today so I guess it was not a total loss.
Old 3 Jul 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2917663)   #287
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
I'm not really sure where to put this, but Guess Racing Europ is targeting Silverstone and maybe Road Atlanta and/or Zuhai this year and Le Mans, Road Atlanta, and Zuhai next year. Will any of this actually happen? It's anyone's guess!

http://www.endurance-info.com/versio...ance-7604.html

Their expected drivers from Imola did well for JMB's FLM team today so I guess it was not a total loss.
One of those 'believe it when I see it jobs'. All they have been so far this year is the punchline to a few jokes.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 05:40 (Ref:2924408)   #288
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Dont know where this should go but i had a dream about a BMW LMP1 prototype(doubt it will ever happen though).....they were really clever with the Kidney grill implementation on the prototype.......Wish i could draw..I dont even know how that car got into my head.

btw.....Will mercedes ever come back to Lemans in LMP1? or will they never want anyone to be reminded of the flips?
Old 10 Jul 2011, 05:45 (Ref:2924409)   #289
AuzGrams
Rookie

AuzGrams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably REALLY early to ask this, but any updates/news on the 2012 ALMS schedule?
Old 10 Jul 2011, 07:57 (Ref:2924422)   #290
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Dont know where this should go but i had a dream about a BMW LMP1 prototype(doubt it will ever happen though).....they were really clever with the Kidney grill implementation on the prototype.......Wish i could draw..I dont even know how that car got into my head.

btw.....Will mercedes ever come back to Lemans in LMP1? or will they never want anyone to be reminded of the flips?
mmm i doubt it, now that is involved in f1 is 100% sure that won't take part in lmp1 in the imminent future. I doubt also that mercedes will enter in the competition as supplier of his DTM/formula3 engines
Old 10 Jul 2011, 10:24 (Ref:2924469)   #291
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
You were thinking of the old V12 LMR most likely. :P
Old 10 Jul 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2924506)   #292
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuzGrams View Post
Probably REALLY early to ask this, but any updates/news on the 2012 ALMS schedule?
No.
Old 10 Jul 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2924730)   #293
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
You were thinking of the old V12 LMR most likely. :P
lol dont think so..It wasn't ugly..and it was a coupe
Old 10 Jul 2011, 20:20 (Ref:2924737)   #294
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
lol dont think so..It wasn't ugly..and it was a coupe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Nazca_C2
Old 11 Jul 2011, 01:58 (Ref:2924866)   #295
ujoint
Racer

United States
usa, virginia
ujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridujoint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche, Penske, Rockenfeller and Others for 2012

Heard that rumor from Roger Penske himself on Wind Tunnel, USA Speed Channel tonite July 10th, 2011 @0945pm.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 02:03 (Ref:2924867)   #296
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
Heard that rumor from Roger Penske himself on Wind Tunnel, USA Speed Channel tonite July 10th, 2011 @0945pm.
Yes, very interesting interview, would have thought Penske had no involvement in this at all.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 02:11 (Ref:2924868)   #297
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also herd the interview as well. Penske back with Porsche, in the LMP1 class?... ALMS... could happen... Le Mans... you never know.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 02:14 (Ref:2924869)   #298
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
I also herd the interview as well. Penske back with Porsche, in the LMP1 class?... ALMS... could happen... Le Mans... you never know.
thats what going to happen.....probably.....Porsche seems to want to have something like that of Joest and Audi.......Penske had one of the best realtionships of anybody with Porsche.......What guys do you go to when you want things done right.....Roger Penske and Chip Gannasi...in this case Roger Penske!. Porsche wants to involve Penske.....I would love to see this through..Penske Porsche FTW!!!
Old 11 Jul 2011, 02:48 (Ref:2924874)   #299
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
So if this indeed is for 2012 what car would they run, the LMP1 wouldnt be ready by then as its aimed for a 2014 debut AFAIK.
Old 11 Jul 2011, 03:09 (Ref:2924877)   #300
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujoint View Post
by rockenfeller... do you mean Mike Rockenfeller?