Bet Schui's really fuming, passed twice on the same corner

SL
Old 1 Apr 2001, 18:46 (Ref:76085)   #2
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Simon, I think sparky said it best:
Old 1 Apr 2001, 20:00 (Ref:76136)   #3
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice to see Coulthard can overtake still and in some style but I still think the bloke is second rate, like the move really compared to Montoya's. He may have won but it is like Irvine in 99 right place right time while the other drop out...not and never will be world champion.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 20:02 (Ref:76139)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great stuff. Now a few more races like the French last year and Brazil this year and your looking at the WDC.

It was good to see one German snearing out of the other side of his face.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 20:05 (Ref:76143)   #5
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

They say in other forums that Michael was having some steering problems with his car?

Until that is confirmed, bravo to DC.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 22:36 (Ref:76260)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC should have be faster than Michael in the wets..afterall, he was on mixed condition settings, unlike MS in dry settings.

For once, the Mclaren this year had their strategy better Ferrari.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 22:39 (Ref:76261)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pay back !

Well done DC !
Old 1 Apr 2001, 22:55 (Ref:76273)   #8
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to DC, a brilliant pass, and a great victory. Not even DC haters can take that away from him. Well maybe they think they can, but they can't!.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 23:05 (Ref:76281)   #9
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally some exciting racing out of Coultard!! Just hope he keeps it up.
Old 1 Apr 2001, 23:05 (Ref:76282)   #10
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

DC ran a perfect race. It is absurd to say that he was gifted the race. 2 days ago TGF's Ferrari was the only car in the championship (and probably is still by far the best car!?!) TGF's car was fastest in qualifying and I believe nothing was mentioned in the post race interviews. Today he was simply outdriven.
DC won the race with a great drive, a great pass and took the risk on a wet set up. (How many times has he suffered for a similar risk not paying off?)
Old 1 Apr 2001, 23:39 (Ref:76292)   #11
Jeanburrasca81
Racer

Jeanburrasca81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting how there can be a couple of races without even noticing DC...then, all of a sudden, like last year in Magny Cours and this time, he tears out the best of him. He's a real racer on some days and seems lost on other days....he has to be more constant to be World Champion. His problem is not talent but that sometimes he seems lost and sometimes drives like he already won 3 championships.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 00:59 (Ref:76317)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bear in mind that with the compromise set-up and more fuel, he should have been well behind Montoya and Schumacher. As it was, he kept them it sight. It was a brilliant, thoughtful drive and he is to be commended. Passing the "regenmeister" on intermediates during a downpour was magnificent. I'm sick of apologising for being a fan of DC, I hope today that he will have silenced some of the critics for awhile.
I don't think he will win the WDC this year,, but second is not out of the question and I think he will continue to give Schumacher fits.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 09:49 (Ref:76444)   #13
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
ISNT IT A WONDER??

DC had a very very good race, great skills, great strategy, great driving and great luck. I am not going to take the glory away from this victory by starting some lame attacks of foul on Mclaren. So well done there, DC, esp the overtaking move, which is swift and decisive.

But the greatest wonder is not the victory however.
Look at Brazil, where DC made a wonderful pass on Michael, then start pulling out a lead to win...Michael is being totally outclassed and unable to fight back.
And the response to the victory of this race on this forum?
"It is one of the best race ever!" "Mclaren hits back!" "DC WDC 2001?" and words of praises that DC had been brilliant and a true racer and all (which i do not deny).

However, in Sepang, when Michael came from 11 to 1st, overtaking 10 cars including a beautiful pass from the outside of DC, daringly using Intermediates and streaking pass the field (5s faster) with excellent car control, leaving the opposition in the wake...The post race reply were relatively negative "FIA biased" "FERRARI uses TC" "Race is boring" "Ferrari cheats" "Championship is a bore" and etc.

Not that i am inducing the idea that DC cheated...no, he drove brilliantly and cleanly, and if the Stewards say he's clear, he's legal! A pat on the shoulder is well deserved, and DC fans ought to celebrate. But the issue is the way certain "discussions" are conducted. Its just a reminder that when the next Michael victory comes, could those who loved to diss Ferrari just let tifosis to enjoy their victory, like we would gladly leave you to? That be fair to Ferrari fans, just like how much they have been fair to the others (if they are not provoked...) There is really no need to discredit a great win...no matter who it is from...with some baseless accusations and that.

If you need another example, look at Michael is Austria last year, he came and stopped the car on track. Immediately, he was blasted for trying to get the race stopped, and named "Sore-loser" "Cheater" etc. However, Mika stalled on the start in Brazil, and made an attempt to red-flag the race by first removing the steering wheel, then jamming the car in gear. But no one on the forum said anything...not that i think he had done it with very ill intentions. BUT IF it was Michael who was in Mika's shoe, he would have been condemned here, no doubt.

Just be fair in your views/opinions in the future, if respectability is what you demand from others for your posts. Especially to those who insist they are a neutral and fair party, but are clearly biased to one team...
Old 2 Apr 2001, 09:57 (Ref:76447)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
OK, I'll say it now: TGF had a great race at Sepang. He rand off hte track, I thought he was a gonner for sure, and so did M&M, but he kept his cool through a badly botched pit stop, and then drove like a wizard (that's a wet lizard) to win the race easily and conclusively. That's why I posted the thread that Ferrari were never going to win in Brazil. Now you tell me what happened! Because I cannot understand the form reversal. Don't get me wrong - I am not knocking TGF. But his second place on the podium was a gift, because that ba$tard AMoffat paid Rubens to punt Ralf off.
Old 2 Apr 2001, 10:09 (Ref:76448)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

i do not think any explanations would be due for a fall in performance or a rise. Simply, the other teams had done better, and if you win a race after a straight fight, you deserve it. Simple as that. DC won this time, and Michael will win the next...or perhaps it would be Montoya or Ralf.