Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 30 Aug 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2752504)   #1
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
John Turner, LOOK AWAY NOW!

This caused a 30 minute delay at Castle Combe today.
I believe the driver is OK, apart from a large operation to open the wallet.

NOT mine, I was over the far side at the time...
Old 30 Aug 2010, 23:37 (Ref:2752505)   #2
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
OK, where's the picture?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dynamit...38992782@N00#/

If it doesn't reappear...
Old 31 Aug 2010, 05:22 (Ref:2752548)   #3
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Crikey, looks like a big one and seems he was taken away on a stretcher. Hopefully just a precaution and hope Chris is ok.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 07:40 (Ref:2752575)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looks like Quarry.

Hopefully the driver was ok.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 08:48 (Ref:2752603)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is very un Chris like.

I've just spoken to Kev and he knows nothing about this which would suggest that Chris was stretchered away only as a precaution, as Roger says. However. I have left a message with Ian Sowman, who was reporting the event for A/S, to ask him to either contact me or put a note on this thread.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2752611)   #6
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Picked up your message, thanks John. I don't have an official update I am afraid - unfortunately yesterday was all a bit hectic (and this incident did not make it into my Autosport copy). I will see if I can find anything out and if I do I will post here.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 09:07 (Ref:2752612)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many thanks, Ian.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 09:33 (Ref:2752618)   #8
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter's right, it was Quarry out, on way down to the Esses. There's a video on YouTube should you wish to view it. Appears he was caught up in someone else's accident. What was nastier still is that he hit the marshals' post, sending them scattering. The Combe forum is all a-buzz but no other news so presumably all OK.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 09:54 (Ref:2752632)   #9
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amazing - twice in one weekend. A Ferrari 246 Dino went off at Devil's Elbow at Mallory on Monday in qualifying, landing on the marshall's post on the inside of the track. One of the recovery team stationed there was hospitalised but is on the mend.

It brings to focus how dependent we are on the guys and gals in orange and the risks they take in making these events happen.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 10:10 (Ref:2752639)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Update: Chris Scragg sustained 'several' broken ribs in the incident at Castle Combe. Painful, but fortunately not too serious - and I wish him well for a speedy recovery.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 12:47 (Ref:2752692)   #11
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
As part of the clerking team just want to say a big thanks to all the marshals and rescue and medical teams and all who did a great job on the scene with this.

Wish Chris a speedy recovery and all the best

Ta
C
Old 31 Aug 2010, 12:52 (Ref:2752695)   #12
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post
Amazing - twice in one weekend. A Ferrari 246 Dino went off at Devil's Elbow at Mallory on Monday in qualifying, landing on the marshall's post on the inside of the track. One of the recovery team stationed there was hospitalised but is on the mend.

It brings to focus how dependent we are on the guys and gals in orange and the risks they take in making these events happen.
The Ferrari cleared the Marshals Post completely and hit the BARC red Renault van which fortunately was empty at the time. Lee Padget one of the Breakdown crew was hurt avoiding te car.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2752779)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HXtHqwPLLU
A great shame but as we all know s*** happens. I raced with Chris for several years and he is a decent bloke and racer, also he lives a couple of miles up the road to me in the UK.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Aug 2010, 17:29 (Ref:2752813)   #14
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sowman View Post
Update: Chris Scragg sustained 'several' broken ribs in the incident at Castle Combe. Painful, but fortunately not too serious - and I wish him well for a speedy recovery.
Thanks Ian. Chris always finds time to chat to me and I wish him, as I'm sure we all do, a rapid recovery.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2752816)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I imagine it was the side impact that did for his ribs. Yup, hope he gets well soon.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2752821)   #16
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
I spoke to him on the phone about half an hour ago. Suffice to say he is not a happy bunny as we can see from the video ! I won't repeat what he said as there may be "children"reading this !!!!
However he is resting at his abode and said that he will probably be at the 6 hour to have a few drinks
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 31 Aug 2010, 18:47 (Ref:2752836)   #17
99hjhm
Rookie

United Kingdom
The Internet
99hjhm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor Chris, looks very unlucky.

Looks like the older of his pair of V8's?
Old 1 Sep 2010, 10:38 (Ref:2753111)   #18
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
My apologies for posting the image, if people were hurt. As nothing at all was announced on circuit, I'd assumed all were fine, just panel damage.

I too wish Chris a rapid recovery, though I doubt the car is a quick fix. The right rear was folded horizontally under the car on the Recovery Truck...
Old 1 Sep 2010, 12:49 (Ref:2753170)   #19
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Yes he told me it snapped the back axle apart from everything else !
Old 2 Sep 2010, 21:18 (Ref:2753819)   #20
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveGT6 View Post

Why are there no FIA/MSA standards for Marshals Posts? It's worse than marshalling a rally, where you probably can move to a safer position.

Most circuits can look after the prawn sandwich brigade, why can't they have proper protection for marshals.

Never understood why its acceptable to have marshals' posts with poor safety.
Old 2 Sep 2010, 23:32 (Ref:2753871)   #21
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Combe 'official' posts have cages and earth banks? These guys were 'off post' and being sensible by not being where this thing was headed. That's common sense!