Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Feb 2015, 11:55 (Ref:3508004)   #76
Somatosis
Rookie

Australia
Somatosis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR View Post

We left the paddock at 5am on Sunday morning and only got to McPhillamy about 10 minutes to the race start.
Which could be fairly nicely mitigated with a separate queue at the access gate.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 12:24 (Ref:3508008)   #77
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did the 1991-1994 12hrs allow camping at the top?
Old 23 Feb 2015, 12:27 (Ref:3508010)   #78
Rookie

1961 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
Remember that next years race will, at this stage, only allow 2014 models to participate, NOT 2015 cars... So, the new Mercedes, the new Ferrari 488, AC Cobra etc if it happens etc, will NOT be there.

The 2014 Ferrari looks exactly the same as 2013, it just has interior detail changes, switchgear and accessories etc.

2017 will be the first time we see a 488 in B12.
Just checking with this though. According to the entry list this year 2014-spec cars ran (Audi, Bentley among others). I thought the race ran to last year's spec, not 2 years ago. Has there been a change in regs?
Old 23 Feb 2015, 12:57 (Ref:3508014)   #79
Somatosis
Rookie

Australia
Somatosis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
I'm pretty sure I remember walking from the tent to the track back then but it was a long time and many adventures ago...
Old 23 Feb 2015, 17:34 (Ref:3508078)   #80
KSM86
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
KSM86 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff s conscience View Post
Remember that next years race will, at this stage, only allow 2014 models to participate, NOT 2015 cars... So, the new Mercedes, the new Ferrari 488, AC Cobra etc if it happens etc, will NOT be there.

The 2014 Ferrari looks exactly the same as 2013, it just has interior detail changes, switchgear and accessories etc.

2017 will be the first time we see a 488 in B12.
Wait what! so for the 2016 event it wont be 2015 models, but still 2 year old gt cars from the 14 season?

Last edited by KSM86; 23 Feb 2015 at 17:43.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 19:41 (Ref:3508116)   #81
Hingo
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Hingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any new car that gets its homologation done this year is eligible AFAIK.
Old 23 Feb 2015, 20:36 (Ref:3508129)   #82
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1961 View Post
Just checking with this though. According to the entry list this year 2014-spec cars ran (Audi, Bentley among others). I thought the race ran to last year's spec, not 2 years ago. Has there been a change in regs?
Correct. It's 2015 now, so 2014 homologated and BOP compliant cars could run.

Sorry yes. I got locked into Ferrari mode! It's 2014 Ferraris only that will run, other brands homologated and BOP compliant in 2015 CAN run in 2016... It's just that the Ferrari 488 won't be ready.

Stand down! If Mercedes and the cobra pull their finger out this year, and anyone else, they'll be ok.

My one eye Ferrari focus got blurred there! I'm just annoyed the Ferrari won't be ready to even run until end of this year, so homologation and BOP will most likely run well into 2016, meaning car cantbrun b12 until 17..... Grrrr

Last edited by ff s conscience; 23 Feb 2015 at 20:44.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 02:12 (Ref:3508231)   #83
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Old 24 Feb 2015, 04:30 (Ref:3508250)   #84
bathurst
Racer

Australia
sydney
bathurst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Yes, we were camping up the top those years and the 24hr too.
You'd be surprised how many October regulars also attend the 12hr.
With the sun shelters at the 12hr, just move them back next time. Like at Phillip island or the creek. You gotta have them as it's a lot hotter in February than October. Plus the height above sea level. Those uv rays can get ya up there.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 05:05 (Ref:3508256)   #85
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCR View Post
Sports Sedans put together a good field for the 2012 event.

No where near as quick as the GT3s. I think their lap record is around 2:13, but that they haven't had a decent crack at it since resurfacing etc.
SSports Sedans had rubbish fields for the 2 years they were supports,barely above state level with none of the national series front runners competing.
Production Cars have 2 1 hour mini enduros at Easter.The current level of Production Car racing at national level as shown by grids at the Shannon's Nationals enduros would not justify the promoter losing all those support entry fees..

Last edited by Alan52; 24 Feb 2015 at 05:11.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:19 (Ref:3508278)   #86
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reload View Post
I don't think being a part of an Asian Series will do anything for the B12hrs... it won't necessarily hurt it, but i'm not sure what it would gain? The Internationals are already coming as is.

Totally disagree with his attitude to safety cars. How many viewers were lost this year due to the hours of TV time spent under safety car?

Pretty much the first hour after they switched to the main Ch7 was spent following the safety car.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3508285)   #87
Hingo
Racer

Australia
Canberra
Hingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with one five five. The event stands in its own
Old 24 Feb 2015, 07:38 (Ref:3508287)   #88
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Anyone have pics of the latest AC Cobra that might be developed for GT3?
Old 24 Feb 2015, 08:50 (Ref:3508302)   #89
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Anyone have pics of the latest AC Cobra that might be developed for GT3?

Haven't seen any pics as yet, the car is still being built last I heard.
Old 24 Feb 2015, 09:49 (Ref:3508325)   #90
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Haven't seen any pics as yet, the car is still being built last I heard.
OK, thankyou, it's the first I've heard of it.

There's a couple that might qualify among these pics:

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=2...w&ved=0CBwQsAQ
Old 24 Feb 2015, 11:57 (Ref:3508364)   #91
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think being a part of an Asian Series will do anything for the B12hrs... it won't necessarily hurt it, but i'm not sure what it would gain? The Internationals are already coming as is.

Totally disagree with his attitude to safety cars. How many viewers were lost this year due to the hours of TV time spent under safety car?

Pretty much the first hour after they switched to the main Ch7 was spent following the safety car.
Agreed. Code 60 or similar needs to be explored for feasibility. Reducing safety cars needs to be a goal for the event.

Additionally - I hope they don't go down the pro class route as I don't see it as a sustainable path. For me - have 2 GT3 classes.
Class A 1x FIA Silver driver minimum
Class B 1 x FIA Bronze driver minimum
Old 24 Feb 2015, 20:17 (Ref:3508536)   #92
scudd
Racer

scudd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Agreed. Code 60 or similar needs to be explored for feasibility. Reducing safety cars needs to be a goal for the event.

Additionally - I hope they don't go down the pro class route as I don't see it as a sustainable path. For me - have 2 GT3 classes.
Silver as minimum will kill the event.

A 1x FIA bronze minimum.
B 2x FIA bronze minimum.

What the other drivers are in each team doesn't matter.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 02:05 (Ref:3508651)   #93
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Isn't that what the event has effectively had since 2011 though with the likes of Pheonix, Erebus, Bentley, Maranello?

I think it was Radio Le Mans that questioned whether teams like Pheonix & Bentley would continue to attend if they had to run a Bronze minimum
Old 25 Feb 2015, 02:27 (Ref:3508655)   #94
old fart
Racer

Australia
a racetrack -wish it was Mt Panorama.
old fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridold fart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post

The average speed of the safety car was way in excess of 60kph in most instances.
Obviously it has to come down at the scene of an incident or where officials are on the track.
I have heard calls over the radio for the safety car to maintain higher speeds such as 100 etc.

The issue that needs to be addressed is the 'catchup' speed after a s/c pit stop or resuming after being dug out of the sand due to the drivers incompetence or unrequested assistance by another car!-a code 60 or whatever could be of benefit under such circumstances and may stop idiots from crashing into the rear of the train as was evidenced this year and during the Supercheap 1000.
It is a very complex issue and needs thorough investigation/evaluation before implication.

The total closure of pit lane during a s/c period is another aspect that could be investigated.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 02:36 (Ref:3508657)   #95
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
The average speed of the safety car was way in excess of 60kph in most instances.
Obviously it has to come down at the scene of an incident or where officials are on the track.
I have heard calls over the radio for the safety car to maintain higher speeds such as 100 etc.

The issue that needs to be addressed is the 'catchup' speed after a s/c pit stop or resuming after being dug out of the sand due to the drivers incompetence or unrequested assistance by another car!-a code 60 or whatever could be of benefit under such circumstances and may stop idiots from crashing into the rear of the train as was evidenced this year and during the Supercheap 1000.
It is a very complex issue and needs thorough investigation/evaluation before implication.

The total closure of pit lane during a s/c period is another aspect that could be investigated.
seriously

Why not just red flag it each time we need a safety car. Solves all problems
Old 25 Feb 2015, 05:48 (Ref:3508672)   #96
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Every time a race is put under safety car or red flagged it negates nearly all of what competitors have achieved in the race to that point.This is done to promote "the show" but lessens the credibility of the sport.What other sport resets the score if a player is injured or match conditions change?No other sport.
Motor racing has got away with the excuse that there was no other method but Code 60 either full course (F1) or lap sector (Le Mans) is a much fairer solution if it can be implemented.
I know people will argue that many motor racing fans have Attention Deficit Disorder and that without regular closing up of the field people will lose interest.The second half of the 2012 and 2013 Bathurst 1000's disprove this as does all but 17 minutes of the last 18 hours of last year's Le Mans.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 06:26 (Ref:3508680)   #97
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by James O'Brien (Courtesy of the DSC article linked earlier)
“From a racing purists point of view then yes it needs to be looked at, there were a lot.

“But I have to say from a race promoters view I’m entirely happy. I don’t mind that many, it makes for exciting racing on a restart, particularly on this circuit.
I find these quotes rather ironic. Surely the bulk of the crowd at the 12 Hour are the "racing purists".

How many people other than James O'Brien didn't mind 20 safety cars and would happily see it again next year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
I was at Hell Corner early in the race when the Conroy/Denyer Porsche crashed right infront of me.

Obviously the "SC" boards were out almost straight away, and the tractor to get the car out was on track & heading across the sand to pick the car up almost as fast... all while cars were still rounding Hell Corner at almost full pace catching the safety car.

Does that not completely negate the point of putting the safety car out?
Old 25 Feb 2015, 08:27 (Ref:3508714)   #98
ff s conscience
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
ff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridff s conscience should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If there are 30 occasions that warrant it, I'm happy with 30 safety cars.

Who wants to see a marshall run over? or a driver slam into a tilt tray?

Its driving standards that need fixing, all else is fine.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 16:13 (Ref:3508881)   #99
Bell_End
Racer

Jamaica
Church Tower
Bell_End should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
People carry on about how much of a success the 12hr has been in recent years, but how many of the international teams have been repeat customers?? not many one or two year stabs at it and that's it... what does that say/mean?? well for me they either don't like the track... not likely... Don't like the organiser... not likely, may of been ****ed around with 7/10 deal but only in the best interest of the event you would say... Don't like the attitude of the drivers... well not really the fault of the lower class drivers really and more so a problem with the upper class ones, and will only get worse with more "v8 classed" drivers joining the fold... no real patience to wait for the right time to pass and unless they "fix" this the big boys from the gt3 motherland will stop coming to play and we will end up with a fizzer of an event... Some will claim the event is now big enough to handle the lack of repeat customers from some quarters but really that will probably be the death of the event... Don't get me wrong I think the place is perfect for a world class gt3 12-24hr, but it ain't going to survive unless we stop getting 5+ hours of s/c, the internationals won't see they benefit after the novelty wears off for them, won't take long

Last edited by Bell_End; 25 Feb 2015 at 16:29.
Old 25 Feb 2015, 19:48 (Ref:3508953)   #100
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell_End View Post
People carry on about how much of a success the 12hr has been in recent years, but how many of the international teams have been repeat customers?? not many one or two year stabs at it and that's it... what does that say/mean?? well for me they either don't like the track... not likely... Don't like the organiser... not likely, may of been ****ed around with 7/10 deal but only in the best interest of the event you would say... Don't like the attitude of the drivers... well not really the fault of the lower class drivers really and more so a problem with the upper class ones, and will only get worse with more "v8 classed" drivers joining the fold... no real patience to wait for the right time to pass and unless they "fix" this the big boys from the gt3 motherland will stop coming to play and we will end up with a fizzer of an event... Some will claim the event is now big enough to handle the lack of repeat customers from some quarters but really that will probably be the death of the event... Don't get me wrong I think the place is perfect for a world class gt3 12-24hr, but it ain't going to survive unless we stop getting 5+ hours of
s/c, the internationals won't see they benefit after the novelty wears off for
them, won't take long
So Clearwater, AF Corse, Phoenix (even added a car) etc are not regulars ?