Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22 Dec 2004, 15:27 (Ref:1185973)   #17
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_royksopp
Well, concerning the new sub-forum status, i've got mixed feelings about it.

In a way it's good. It's a kind of recognition of fantasy track making, and it will probably attract new posters.
This is exactly why I looked at the most popular thread on the forum and decided for technical and administrative reasons to give it its own sub-forum

Quote:
On the other hand, i am very sad that the 'good old MyTracks-community' is gone. Now, where will we post all our non-racetrack posts. Now, anyone from outside the MyTracks community would stick their hand very high up in the air and yell 'Parc Ferme!', but thats not good. We have our own little community inhere, and many of us never visit PF.
The sub-forum was created for the MyTracks community in order to allow off topic items to have their own threads and thus hopefully make it easier for the community to use.

Quote:
So if we shall stop posting in this thread, i've got one condition:

We should be allowed to post offtopic in this forum, as we have done over the years in the thread, without all our posts being moved to PF or somewhere else, in order to keep the MyTracks-community alive.
"on condition" doesn't work with me, and my previous comments should indicate that off-topic are as welcome in the sub-forum as they were in the thread.

Quote:
I am still very sad that this decision has been taken. The thread here was just perfect, and it had history. It had its special charm about it, which i dont think the new subforum can keep. In this thread, people have come and gone, people have evoved as track designers, and we are many of us who are only in this specific thread on the whole of 10/10ths. We have been sort of a side-community within Ten-Tenths, and i think it's a shame that 'our place' has now been completely changed by the moderators, who have got no connection to the MyTracks thread whatsoever, without even asking us for our opinion.
The decision was taken for several reasons, one a technical reason, vBulletin has known issues with large threads and this thread was approaching the limit and it was felt that such a large and active thread would benefit from it's own sub-forum in which to expand. There was also a feedback form sent from one of the contributors to the thread asking for some form of "formal" recognition and the best way to do this was with a sub-forum with the possibility of "promotion" to a full forum at a later date.

Quote:
Now, let me clear to you, MagnetON, and your fellow mod's and admins, that it is VERY important that we still get the rights to post offtopic. Otherwise, i would seriously think of making a new forum on a new website for all of us mytrackeroids, in order to keep the community alive. But i also think that this is the golden chance for 10/10ths to proove, what i've never doubted but now, that it's a open forum, where different communities can coexist under a broad and open leadership, not a top-to-bottom-controlled website, where the users opinion isnt heard.
I think I've made it clear regarding off-topic posts, if they have been allowed in the thread then they will continue (within reason) to be allowed in the sub-forum.

Quote:
PLEASE, 10/10ths, do not kill this community-in-the-community, because it's an example of 10/10ths being an open and free community, which i still believe and hope it is.
I feel we've demonstrated that by giving this community-in-the-community a step of formal recognition and a sub-forum we are taking steps to ensure the success and popularity of this topic.

Quote:
No, i cant promise for this being my last post in this thread, but yes, i accept the decision of making a sub-forum, as long as we are granted the right to post offtopic and continue to exist as a community-in-the-community of 10/10ths.
Continuing to post to this thread is obviously at your own discretion, however as previously mentioned there ARE issues with threads with a large number of replies in vBulletin and I will take the necessary steps to preserve the stability of the web server and if that involves locking this thread at some point then I will take those steps.

Grant MacDonald.
Royalridge Computing.