Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:44 (Ref:2347529)   #26
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Its a business.The last people to be told would be the people in the Motor Sport Division so they would be unaware of what was happening.Presumably they will be paid off under the terms of their contracts.These people will be much better off than most who lose their jobs in the next eighteen months
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:44 (Ref:2347530)   #27
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It will be particularly hard to find a buyer if,as suggested,Honda are not even going to produce engines any more.

P.S. Webber to Renault.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:45 (Ref:2347532)   #28
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
This decision will have come from the Honda motor company, not the F1 team.
Correct, so we have to wait until Japan awakes.

Nonetheless, according to reliable sources on arguably less reliable websites, it is purely a question of when not if the decision is announced.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2347543)   #29
EdLeake
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
EdLeake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok I've just been informed staff have been handed their 90 day notice today, inside source, looks like the real deal.

Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2347547)   #30
bradrive
Racer

Brazil
Italy&Spain&Brazil
bradrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectly_frank
Can anyone suggest a short list of other potential buyers of Honda's F1 programme ?

I dunno;

Prodrive or Campos, maybe?
Campos? Joking? Do you know the budget to run a even lesser F1 team?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2347548)   #31
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Management buy-out?

Ten-tenths buy-out?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2347549)   #32
wapomumalo
Rookie

Spain
Galiza
wapomumalo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
It will be particularly hard to find a buyer if,as suggested,Honda are not even going to produce engines any more.

P.S. Webber to Renault.

Who´s gonna get Honda engines if FIF1 with a customer Ferrari engine makes them look like an amateur entry???

I see Honda´s F1 project as extremely bad managed one, Nick Fry should have been fired long time ago...in companion of Button.

A well proven non-profitable/non-competitive F1 entry...Honda Took over BAR to through the last stone that finally sunk the Boat.

If Prodrive, Peugeot, or whoever buys this team manages to create some competitive team like Toro Rosso (1/3rd of Honda´s Budget at least), then it will be good for the sport.

Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:58 (Ref:2347553)   #33
EdLeake
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
EdLeake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Honda engine is reliable and was often in the top 3-5 at speed traps, sometimes the top speed achiever.

Unfortunately everything around it let it down!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2347556)   #34
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLeake
The Honda engine is reliable and was often in the top 3-5 at speed traps, sometimes the top speed achiever.

Unfortunately everything around it let it down!
Unfortunately Honda are ceasing production of their engine as well.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:01 (Ref:2347558)   #35
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrive
Huge, I know. I don't know, however, how rich Agag is. I'd assume you'd know, and apparently not rich/foolish enough!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:01 (Ref:2347559)   #36
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So this is why Nick Fry cancelled the lunch yesterday.

Surprised about this - yes - shocked - no. With the global climate the way it is, many car plants going on extended shut downs you surely have to cut the unecessary expense first from your budgets.

As for the fact that Honda have been building up into a nice team in the past year, that doesn't matter, in motorsport the carpet can most certainly be pulled out from under you.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:02 (Ref:2347562)   #37
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdLeake
Not in '08
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:04 (Ref:2347566)   #38
Clive Brown
Veteran

England
North-west Kent
Clive Brown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does any real racer actually care ? As far as I'm concerned , F1 , and the entire paraphenalia of the white trash of the international jet set that go with it , could all go to Hell in a handcart tomorrow . Proper racing will still carry on .
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:05 (Ref:2347567)   #39
manbearpig
Rookie

Russian Federation
Moscow
manbearpig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so if there aren't gonna be anyone to buy the team does that mean, we are supposed to see 4 Ferrari cars in 2009?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:06 (Ref:2347569)   #40
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Brown
Does any real racer actually care ? As far as I'm concerned , F1 , and the entire paraphenalia of the white trash of the international jet set that go with it , could all go to Hell in a handcart tomorrow . Proper racing will still carry on .
Yes. Perhaps F1 will die, and we'll get proper motor racing instead.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2347571)   #41
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens to DeFerran motorsport, perhaps?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2347572)   #42
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig
so if there aren't gonna be anyone to buy the team does that mean, we are supposed to see 4 Ferrari cars in 2009?
IF the contracts stipulate that there HAS to be 20 cars, there'll be 20 cars - sort of like when Champ Car was struggling for cars during its dying years.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:12 (Ref:2347574)   #43
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Its on autosport.com now
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:12 (Ref:2347576)   #44
perfectly_frank
Rookie

perfectly_frank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrive
Sorry to appear glib, bradrive.

IIRC Campos was fishing for money to get into F1 with his own team. This was some time ago. I'm not sure how realistic it was then or is now.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2347579)   #45
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Truth is... this a very bad time to compete in F1.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:20 (Ref:2347584)   #46
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Let's rephrase that famous and old quote :

F1 sells, but who's buying ??
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2347587)   #47
BMW Süchtige
Rookie

European Union
BMW Süchtige is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
On the pulse as usual...
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2347589)   #48
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed Bononi, a very bad time, particularly for new teams entering the category. At the moment it would need a manufacturer, either that or a very large independent team such as Prodrive or Oreca, and even then I doubt they would have the necessary budget and resources. Teams like A.R.T, Carlin and Arden, whilst big fish in GP2 and other single seater categories really dont have anything like the sort of budget required for a F1 programme, not without a major backer.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:30 (Ref:2347594)   #49
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the F1 implosion rolls on. 18 car grid next year it is then - I bet Abu Dhabi will feel they're getting their $150 million worth.

I wonder who will be next to kick the bucket. Williams by the end of, ooh, 2010 maybe?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2347596)   #50
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I guess the power of dreams wasn't enough, and so the first domino falls...

I am sure someone will buy, but it will definitely be a customer car team.

My early prediction, Brabham will be back with Bernie at the helm running customer BMW's.

Tags
barrichello, brawn, button, fry, honda