Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:37 (Ref:2347605)   #51
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
And the F1 implosion rolls on. 18 car grid next year it is then - I bet Abu Dhabi will feel they're getting their $150 million worth.

I wonder who will be next to kick the bucket. Williams by the end of, ooh, 2010 maybe?
If you want to go down the road of D&G: Williams, STR, Toyota (you could add more). My personal take is that if the grid gets too small, Bernie will find a way to prop it up.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2347607)   #52
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IIRC, three car teams become mandatory if the car count is less then 14? I believe I read that in a FIA PDF many moons ago but I'm not sure it still applies.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:41 (Ref:2347608)   #53
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh come on! This would be plain stupid, invested billions and now you gift all of it!?
They can go back to the normal livery, get sponsorship around Bruno, Jenson is marketable too, get some cash from TV Rights and start running a sensible F1 team - like Williams! At the end of the day, they can't do any worse
I think it's some kind of over reaction, the sales of everyone went down by a 3rd, but that doesn't mean people will start walking 100km or try running 20 yr old car!
I bet this team can run in about 120 mil considering they've got their car ready. Damn, I hate panic!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2347613)   #54
chrisp2006
Racer

chrisp2006 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
williams will never leave. It would be great if honda found a buyer rightway, with the ferrari engines it could be a good setup
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2347614)   #55
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
IIRC, three car teams become mandatory if the car count is less then 14? I believe I read that in a FIA PDF many moons ago but I'm not sure it still applies.
And you think Bernie and the FIA can go around dictating the terms?

Manufactuers are struggling to justify two car teams against multiple manufacturer's, nevermind absorbing the cost of a third car to help prop up Bernie's 'show'.

How about Bernie cut's some of these big money fly away races and offers more reasonable terms to established events that are being ditched.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:52 (Ref:2347615)   #56
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
How about Bernie cut's some of these big money fly away races and offers more reasonable terms to established events that are being ditched.
It those "big money fly away races" that pay the bills.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2347620)   #57
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There may be a positive from all of this, they may realize budget caps will help!
It's about 12 P.M. and I'm may be dreaming...
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2347622)   #58
wapomumalo
Rookie

Spain
Galiza
wapomumalo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The way things turn...Maybe MadMax idea of customer engines is a genious idea against manufaturer leaving F1 due to such financial problems...

Poor F1...now you´ll get what you had seed...

Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2347625)   #59
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am a Honda fan but feel they are best to go, F1 is not viable for any teams now IMO, if this does start removing other teams its only due to the sad state of affairs with too many people messing with F1 and not allowing it to be a sport, harsh I know. I do feel for the workforce but F1 is not what it should be and hasn't been for a long while.

They could run in WTCC and gain exposure for a fraction of the cost and less political.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:05 (Ref:2347627)   #60
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Renault stick around after Alonso leaves them? I remember Alonso doubting their commitment to the long term and they have already won.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:06 (Ref:2347631)   #61
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby
I am a Honda fan but feel they are best to go, F1 is not viable for any teams now IMO, if this does start removing other teams its only due to the sad state of affairs with too many people messing with F1 and not allowing it to be a sport, harsh I know. I do feel for the workforce but F1 is not what it should be and hasn't been for a long while.
Their withdrawl is down the global financial crisis, not the state of F1.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:09 (Ref:2347632)   #62
Icebaby
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Yep fair point.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:10 (Ref:2347633)   #63
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
Correct, so we have to wait until Japan awakes.

Nonetheless, according to reliable sources on arguably less reliable websites, it is purely a question of when not if the decision is announced.
That's interesting. The story and the comments on it have now disappeared. Did someone speak out of turn?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:12 (Ref:2347634)   #64
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I'd argue that the two things aren't strictly mutually exclusive. The current state of F1 means that the impact of the looming global recession on the sport is greatly exacerbated to the point where it could well go completely tits up within a year or two...but I guess it's kind of nitpicking of me. It's a big steaming melting pot of doom and gloom!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:15 (Ref:2347640)   #65
Icebaby
Veteran

I think its best to wait for an official word here as theres a big difference to "IF" and "When".
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2347641)   #66
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I guess it makes it easier for Honda to pull the plug seeing as they are propping up the rear of the grid. If they were winning races and close to winning a championship, then perhaps it might have been a tougher choice to pull out...?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2347643)   #67
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whither Button, as they used to say.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:24 (Ref:2347645)   #68
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider
That's interesting. The story and the comments on it have now disappeared. Did someone speak out of turn?
Still up on Autosport.com FWIW.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:26 (Ref:2347647)   #69
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I forget the name, but I believe it was Renault's president that put it best... when we lose it's an expense, when we win it's an investment. F1 for Honda has been a very big expense for Honda for some time now.

2004 was a great season for them, they seemed to be hardly ever off the podium. 2005 saw the team stick it in reverse and plummet down the order. The first 3/4 of 2006 was much the same, until a (lucky) win in Hungary and then a string of solid performances hinted that they were on the way up. 2007 and 2008 have both been massive disasters, coupled with the global economic downturn has lead to an inevitable result.

Honda will be the first... more will follow unless the FOTA and the FIA can come up with a pretty drastic plan for the next few years.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:29 (Ref:2347649)   #70
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe Honda's executives in Japan saw pictures of how ugly next years F1 car's will look and thought, why bother?!!
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:45 (Ref:2347656)   #71
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't want to see Honda leave the sport as i think they are a team with alot of potential.

What Honda need to do IMO is bring sponsorship into the team (more logos on the cars) to bring in more revenue for the team. I don't see the logic in giving Bruno Senna and Di Grassi a test session, if the F1 team management knew what was going on. (I think Brawn and Fry knew what was going to happen as they are like the main managers in the F1 team)

I would really like Honda to stay in F1 as a engine supplier if their team is sold. I think it would be good if they just sold the team but with a contract clause of "You buy our team and take our ex employees but WE supply you the engines".
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:46 (Ref:2347657)   #72
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Righty ho ... unless they can find a buyer, it's time to see who will be running three cars.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:52 (Ref:2347662)   #73
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to another thread with a reliable source the team is indeed for sale and if no-one buys it wil be disbanded. Employees were told at 6pm.

Not good. Hopefully it works out for all the guys at Honda.
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:53 (Ref:2347663)   #74
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Honda F1 Team for sale!

Just heard on BBC Radio 4 news that the Honda F1 team has been put up for sale and if it doesn't sell, will be closed down!
Unfortunately I can't find anything else out at the moment, but if it's on Radio 4, it must be true!
What ramifications has this news got?
Old 4 Dec 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2347664)   #75
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
See other thread about this:

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111666
Closed Thread

Tags
barrichello, brawn, button, fry, honda