Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Jun 2010, 09:05 (Ref:2703037)   #126
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belatti View Post
I read you talking about women and F1 in the same phrase and I wonder how that would be possible.

Those women necks may stand 3,2 Gs in Indy but what about 5Gs in F1s?
And how the hell are they gonna put 120 Kilos (150 sometimes) in the brake pedal every 10 or 20 seconds like F1 drivers does?

Do you have any genuine research and statistics thats suggests only men are capable of such feats?
Old 2 Jun 2010, 11:02 (Ref:2703125)   #127
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Back to the original point of the thread - Danica beat Simona at Indy, does Danica get extra points for that? What is the score?
This match will only be decided by season's end because the rules are that Simona wins when she has finished ahead of Danica in a race in which both do make it to the chequered flag - and Danica wins if she manages to finish ahead of Simona in all races in which both do finish.

So far, Danica has done just that. Yet, Simona has been impressive for a rookie and Danica has had a really weak start to the season.

And no, she doesn't get any extra points for Indy, but Simona doesn't get any either for only just not winning Rookie Of the Year there, which went to Mario Romancini, who really surprised me by winning this title.

So far, Danica is in the lead, though at Long Beach, it was close.
Old 2 Jun 2010, 13:15 (Ref:2703212)   #128
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Simona doesn't get any either for only just not winning Rookie Of the Year there, which went to Mario Romancini, who really surprised me by winning this title.
Not sure if I understand this portion of your post, because although Romancini finished one place ahead of Simona in the race itself, Simona was selected for the Rookie of the Year Award at this year's Indy 500...

FWIW

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 2 Jun 2010, 14:28 (Ref:2703243)   #129
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I missed the end of the race... How did Danica finish so well? When I left she was still *****ing about her car. Was it strategy or did she get the car better?
Old 2 Jun 2010, 15:15 (Ref:2703260)   #130
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I missed the end of the race... How did Danica finish so well? When I left she was still *****ing about her car. Was it strategy or did she get the car better?
Combo of strategy (or poor strategy by others, such as Helio, Kanaan, etc.) and attrition.

She was maybe a top ten car but probably on the outside looking in on the Top Ten if Conway & RHR don't crash and Kanaan and Helio have the fuel to go to the end, as an example...

She even said in interviews that great pit stops and fuel strategy were the main reasons why she did finish 6th as opposed to 10th or lower...

FWIW

Old 2 Jun 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2703439)   #131
Yannick
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Not sure if I understand this portion of your post, because although Romancini finished one place ahead of Simona in the race itself, Simona was selected for the Rookie of the Year Award at this year's Indy 500...

FWIW
I had thought the Rookie Of the Year award automatically goes to the highest rookie finisher. Is that not the case?
Old 2 Jun 2010, 23:11 (Ref:2703519)   #132
MiniMadness
Veteran

Canada
Glen Allen VA/Kent UK
MiniMadness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great post guys. I love all the negative comments. Still makes me laugh when Danica had a fall out with Dan the man.

Nothing like English humour !!
Old 3 Jun 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2703997)   #133
Whosyermon
Rookie

United States
The Oil Coast of Florida
Whosyermon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't subscribe to the idea that Danica or Simona should only be compared to other female drivers.

However my opinion of Danica is that she's not a charger... she's a hang back and let attrition and pit strategy bring her up through the field kind of driver.

Simona on the other hand appears (so far) to be someone who will go has far and fast as her equipment and team will allow.
Old 5 Jun 2010, 10:51 (Ref:2705003)   #134
Yannick
Veteran

P26 in qualifying for Texas seems like quite a blow for Simona's campaign in the Danica vs Simona competition. And with P8, Danica is definitely back.
Old 5 Jun 2010, 18:05 (Ref:2705141)   #135
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
P26 in qualifying for Texas seems like quite a blow for Simona's campaign in the Danica vs Simona competition. And with P8, Danica is definitely back.
Historically Danica is an oval driver, her performances on ovals vastly outstrip her circuit/street track performances, her only win was at Motegi and she's had what would be podiums (do they have a podium in the IICS?) in a few races! Other tracks are a little poor though...
Old 6 Jun 2010, 15:34 (Ref:2705519)   #136
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Danica sure had a great run at texas last night...she was fast all evening and had a chance to win it.

Old 6 Jun 2010, 20:38 (Ref:2705684)   #137
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed Tim,

The best news is that both Simona and Danica are having pretty decent years, and hopefully the rest of the world will start paying attention.
Old 8 Jun 2010, 14:31 (Ref:2706732)   #138
Whosyermon
Rookie

United States
The Oil Coast of Florida
Whosyermon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosyermon View Post
I don't subscribe to the idea that Danica or Simona should only be compared to other female drivers.

However my opinion of Danica is that she's not a charger... she's a hang back and let attrition and pit strategy bring her up through the field kind of driver.

Simona on the other hand appears (so far) to be someone who will go has far and fast as her equipment and team will allow.
Gee... are there any other drivers out there who all they need to motivate them to the most impressive drive of their careers is for me to claim they ain't no Charger??

Much more impressive than Danica's win at Motegi was her charge to the front at Texas Motor Speedway and a second place finish last Saturday night.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 06:59 (Ref:2707999)   #139
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belatti View Post
I read you talking about women and F1 in the same phrase and I wonder how that would be possible.

Those women necks may stand 3,2 Gs in Indy but what about 5Gs in F1s?
And how the hell are they gonna put 120 Kilos (150 sometimes) in the brake pedal every 10 or 20 seconds like F1 drivers does?

Go and join a high impact aerobics class with a female instructor chap and see how long you last before you cough up one of your lungs!
Try and train with any elite female athelete you will be amazed!

Last edited by wnut; 10 Jun 2010 at 07:09.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 08:57 (Ref:2708074)   #140
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simona looks like she could beat the sh*t out if me.

I would enjoy every moment of it.
Old 10 Jun 2010, 10:19 (Ref:2708112)   #141
Yannick
Veteran

Danica performed really impressive at Texas. Here's hoping she can continue that at the next round in Iowa and give the Penskes and Ganassis a run for their money like she has done in Texas.

I'm glad Simona escaped the fire and is having a quick recovery.
Old 11 Jun 2010, 08:33 (Ref:2708941)   #142
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
This is an interview with Danica Patrick, probably Tuesday or Wednesday before Indy (after "boo"day).

Pretty good stuff from a pretty cool customer, IMHO.

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=88867040001
Old 22 Jun 2010, 13:11 (Ref:2716327)   #143
Yannick
Veteran

Now we know it was Tony Kanaan who gave the Penskes and Ganassis a run for their money. He drove a great race and really deserves that win.
Out of the 4 Andretti cars, only Danica was not impressive in the race, but her qualifying was solid. Simona obviously still struggles on the ovals and retired with handling problems.

As was expected on the ovals, Danica is still ahead in Danica VS Simona. Things are likely to get a little more even again between the two when the IZOD IndyCar Series makes their way round Watkins Glen.

How is Mike Conway doing? Here's hoping he's making lots of progress with his recovery.
Old 5 Jul 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2722341)   #144
Yannick
Veteran

Having been placed ahead of Danica for most of the race at The Glen, Simona unfortunately lost her car at one point and made contact with the armco. In turn, this event does not count for Danica VS Simona. Hence, Danica is still in front.

Considering Simona's strength on the road and street courses, she may well score in one of the next 3 events to decide Danica VS Simona in her favor. At least that's what the rules of the original Danica VS Mike contest say.
Toronto will be interesting.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2729169)   #145
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Toronto:

Danica 6th...Simona 9th

Simona, however, was the "Mover" of the race!!!

Picked up 12 spots from the starting grid to finish in the top ten...

She's getting there...

Old 20 Jul 2010, 02:43 (Ref:2729430)   #146
tony griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
california
tony griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
know which one I would rather get behind -- so to speak
Old 20 Jul 2010, 13:28 (Ref:2729605)   #147
Yannick
Veteran

Kudos to both Danica and Simona for their excellent results from the Toronto weekend. They both have got what it takes - and that's what keeps this thread interesting. Edmonton might be Simona's chance, though. Have Atlantics run at Edmonton last year?
Old 25 Jul 2010, 15:58 (Ref:2732480)   #148
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
If Simona can stay out of trouble and run a clean race, it looks like she'll get the best of Danica this weekend...

She was the fastest in her 1st round of quals yesterday and just missed the Top Six!

She's getting there rather quickly...

Old 27 Jul 2010, 05:43 (Ref:2733802)   #149
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I think we can say Simona destroyed Danica yesterday.

I was at the track, but after watching my taping of Versus coverage on returning home, well, I felt less informed.

I think that is actually utterly pathetic of Versus. You don't go to an event to get a more on-it understanding of the race. You go to it because it is happening infront of you.

OK, on watching the tape after getting home, well, I am glad the ads did not annoying me this week since I saw it all happen. Yet, had I not been there? The ads managed to miss everything that mattered. Get someone who understands racing to control ads, and give him the power to improvise (or her - my unwanted societal, inherently imbued, moments be damned!).
Old 28 Jul 2010, 19:19 (Ref:2734769)   #150
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Unfortunately, she didn't finish...I think it was a fuel pump failure that forced her out.

Also a shame that Viso punted her when he didn't stand a snowball's chance in Hades in making the pass that he attempted, thus the penalty.

She had a Top 5 or 6 car until that incident, and the corner workers too FOREVER to get to her and get her righted so she could continue...by the time the started to move hr in position to continue, she lost a lap to the field and was out of contention.