Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 26 Sep 2011, 16:23 (Ref:2961219)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
State of IndyCar

Curt Cavin interviewed Randy Bernard. What's your view on what he says? I think that he's quite honest.
Old 26 Sep 2011, 16:39 (Ref:2961226)   #2
PZippy
Rookie

United States
Park Ridge, Illinois
PZippy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I read into that interview is that some ovals (like perhaps New Hampshire) will return but be promoted by IndyCar. Reading between the lines, I think Randy is expecting that IndyCar may end up being the promoter for the entire oval portion of the series within a few years. Very interesting prospect, but they could do no worse than some of the more weaker efforts over the last few years. I went to Milwaukee this year and I was saddened by the effort. (The race was GREAT) But I was formerly a regular back in the day and this was night and day. Keep in mind this used to be promoted by Carl Haas so I think he knew what he was doing.

Randy's background was in promotion so I'm encouraged to read that.
Old 27 Sep 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2961759)   #3
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
He's a good marketer and has commercial sense. Indycar has used the Danica 'brand' while she was at her peak and with her appeal now in decline, she goes off to NASCAR. So Indycar will survive that. He knows how to structure an event in terms of promotion. He knows that you need a 'major' to complete the series. The TV deal could be alot, lot worse.

He makes poor technical decisions though and doesn't understand the sport and the level of complexity required to run a race and a series. Therefore he can't reform the sport itself without making a bit of a mess. The result is we switch on the telly/attend a race and we see a circus for our hard earned time/money. He doesn't seem to have any answers for the oval unpopularity problem either.
Old 28 Sep 2011, 15:07 (Ref:2962184)   #4
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
He also mentions that he needs to build a strong team, so he doesn't have to approve each tiny decision. That takes a lot of time, but time only won't give you that.
Old 29 Sep 2011, 06:12 (Ref:2962399)   #5
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
55k free tickets to people who attended races this year.

That would be mostly folks who live in Indy, Baltimore, Iowa and the Los Angeles and Dallas areas, right?

I'll be interested to read how many of those folks use their $60 coupon to help finance a $1000 weekend.

I'd agree with Bernard when he says it's unfortunate that it took two years before IndyCar could promote its own race. The vacuum was obvious long before then, and blaming ISC was the best plan everyone could agree on.

Next year they will be blaming Bruton and Eddie, I suppose.
Old 30 Sep 2011, 18:57 (Ref:2963100)   #6
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i do agree with Randy, ovals are very "indy" and should be stronger events showcasing the outright and massive corner speeds versus any other series. they should have the big bad ones like michigan. and hell don't be afraid to run ovals at night or when usac hits the pavements do a race after them, they have to connect with history he says he is so fond of.
perhaps they should do tracks which mimick the old board track days.
so you would have to keep Milwuakee, Indy, Michigan.. even Fontana (as the old california board track is not there) and a race in the northwest US (portland i guess unless there is a good oval there)
and do laguna seca, no reason not to.
although he mentions China would not be a race to lose money, they want to get rich from it, WTF really? so dump Japan?
a Japan-China-Australia swing could be mega. hell stoppping in Hawaii would sell out like mad as Hawaii doesn't get anything else.
although i would stay away from travelling too much now- the core continent the series is based in does not have the attendance to make it stronger why use step over a dollar to pick up a penny in china? focus here (the US and Canada) Indy started here and grew here bring back the fans with family histories of watching Indy car races and build regain them don't simply look for new ones.
in my house 1 members interest a couple generations ago now has that many more people who have good memories and interest. grandpa- his sons-their sons-and now our families from one fan to three, now we have 8 from one memory making awesome man, the potential is there.
i like the historic commercials, maybe parading with the old indy cars as pace car pacers at the oval and other tracks might start this a bit, i really feel the history needs to be thrust out as it is not forgotten and clearly played up by NASCAR to good effect and even F1 as the greats are always prattled on about.
on a related note.
Unser jr. you aren't helping; way to go drinking and drag racing and running a great PR campaign for Indy and Openwheel racing- he is now an official ass not just a guy with a problem who needs help- he got it and tossed it away. He was great now he is a sad sack punk pooing on a great tradition and history.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 17:23 (Ref:2965069)   #7
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Interesting article about the state of IndyCar: Alex tagliani, who won the Indianapolis 500 pole this year, got bumped by Dan Wheldon and Wade Cunningham for Kentucky.

Let's add Ed carpenter's story: he won his first race at Kentucky, but Fisher's major sponsor will drop them by the end of the year. So two proven drivers can't stay in IndyCar.
Old 3 Oct 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2965160)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

terrible huh and the likes of EJ Viso who never impresses me except how often he crashes and Vitor Meira (nice guy but this is not the series for him to race in) these guys keep racing?! but race winners don't? i understand free market and sponsorship however field fillers and moving chicanes for the few race winners and race winning teams is hazardous and ultimately who cares if these guys are out there.
KV did well snapping up kanaan who is a race winner and a champion, it is so short sighted to boot people who don't perform only for sponsor ship, why not do a switcheroo like in the old days to relieve a driver, or in NASCAR today? a good driver is better than alot of these clowns.
My girl said to me, the indy looks slow clumsy and amateurish with their cars and most of their driver. (compared to as she said champcar, and F1) an outside viewer and osmosis fan makes this observation- I may tend to agree.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 01:05 (Ref:2965857)   #9
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring View Post
Vitor Meira (nice guy but this is not the series for him to race in) these guys keep racing?! but race winners don't?
Meira finished 13th in 2008, was 16th in 2009 when he crashed, 12th in 2010 and stands 16th in 2011. He had a podium in 2010 and finished 5th in Toronto 2011. How is he a bad driver?
Old 5 Oct 2011, 02:40 (Ref:2965885)   #10
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Meira finished 13th in 2008, was 16th in 2009 when he crashed, 12th in 2010 and stands 16th in 2011. He had a podium in 2010 and finished 5th in Toronto 2011. How is he a bad driver?
He doesn't deserve the seat. Period. Funny how Foyt was supposedly on the front line for the USACers against the evil furriners, but can't replace his mediocre driver with a Bryan Clauson or find the funding to get Kyle Larson a seat in the Road to Indy.
Old 5 Oct 2011, 04:09 (Ref:2965912)   #11
Carsandmotorracing
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
Carsandmotorracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kyle Larson is then nest big thing for American Open Wheel Racing, especially Indy.
Old 7 Oct 2011, 22:10 (Ref:2967367)   #12
gttouring
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
he isn't 'bad' but he is a solid field filler, he has been driving for years and managed a 2010 podium? and Viso who found him?
even danica patrick- strategy be darned- won a race.
too compare all the penske and ganassi stable mates have won races alot, the second tier ganassi cars have graham rahal who for all his bad luck won a race in indy/champ car on his debut.

Meira just isn't the same caliber as a few guys left out in the cold, like Tracy although he may be getting on, and Wheldon... and where is Junquiera? not a lucky guy in Indy but he was an actual good racer.
Indy car has a great collection of regular guys, good racers but not world class talent-
you can argue the same in F1 with guys like Luizzi who have done better in lower series and don't really hold up the F1 skill needed, and in INDY it has less to do with the car itself, as they all are in the same wagon
Old 19 Oct 2011, 20:56 (Ref:2974004)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The state of IndyCar racing? It's mess.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 22:57 (Ref:2974053)   #14
Xpunk75
Racer

United States
Detroit
Xpunk75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's new....
Old 19 Oct 2011, 23:37 (Ref:2974070)   #15
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't be surprised if Tony George used this to topple Bernard before next season starts. There's a storm of violent criticism of Bernard worldwide, all of it uneducated and some of it for the wrong reasons whereas they don't even know who Tony George is.

It sure is a mess.
Old 19 Oct 2011, 23:45 (Ref:2974074)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Tony George used this to topple Bernard before next season starts. There's a storm of violent criticism of Bernard worldwide, all of it uneducated and some of it for the wrong reasons whereas they don't even know who Tony George is.

It sure is a mess.
Tony's back on the board, so it's quite possible.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 02:00 (Ref:2974089)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post

It sure is a mess.
Hey I hope so. If there is anyone that can hasten the decline quicker it will be tony george's mumbling and bumbling.

Even the chanting irl followers mesmerized by tony george are starting to throw in the towel publicly as their vision for good ole boy ingenzz, 'Merican USAC dirt oval drivers and an indy 5 hunnert based series has totally vaporized. And the remnants are being sold as CART 2 Electric Boogaloo! is microwaved soylent green being marketed as filet mignon to us "low hanging fruit" and we have rejected it for what it is.

They have nowhere else to turn except to salvation and to admit their sins and seek forgiveness.
Old 20 Oct 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2974185)   #18
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Hey I hope so. If there is anyone that can hasten the decline quicker it will be tony george's mumbling and bumbling.

Even the chanting irl followers mesmerized by tony george are starting to throw in the towel publicly as their vision for good ole boy ingenzz, 'Merican USAC dirt oval drivers and an indy 5 hunnert based series has totally vaporized. And the remnants are being sold as CART 2 Electric Boogaloo! is microwaved soylent green being marketed as filet mignon to us "low hanging fruit" and we have rejected it for what it is.

They have nowhere else to turn except to salvation and to admit their sins and seek forgiveness.
It's been a mess ever since one outfit decided some years ago that they could run OW in the states.

Strange how it has come around to bite them on the ass1
Old 22 Oct 2011, 15:26 (Ref:2975161)   #19
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
Brickyard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What indycar needs? quite easy... a new "White Letter".
Old 22 Oct 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2975165)   #20
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
What indycar needs? quite easy... a new "White Letter".
It could do with someone else running the show, instead of the Hulman Georges.
Old 22 Oct 2011, 16:01 (Ref:2975170)   #21
Brickyard
Rookie

Portugal
Brickyard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
that's my point.

Let the Teams, drivers, promoters and sponsors (and fans) decide how they want the show to be run.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 07:13 (Ref:2975346)   #22
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
There's a French organisation with a lovely set of international rules ready and waiting. Whilst it might not be the most attractive answer, you can't say the FIA ignore safety!
Old 23 Oct 2011, 08:12 (Ref:2975365)   #23
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTeK View Post
There's a French organisation with a lovely set of international rules ready and waiting. Whilst it might not be the most attractive answer, you can't say the FIA ignore safety!
The FIA are good on safety but can be incredibly interfering, which is why the ACO told the FIA where to go, though they are now friends again.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 10:34 (Ref:2975468)   #24
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickyard View Post
that's my point.

Let the Teams, drivers, promoters and sponsors (and fans) decide how they want the show to be run.
But also, all these people have a duty to how it should not be run.
Last Sunday's race was virtually a circus;

"Roll up, roll up! See the largest number of the fastest cars, on the smallest circuit, for the end of season shootout. We've also offered $5 million, yes $5 million! to someone to try and win the race from the back of the grid".

All those involved, especially teams and drivers should have said "STOP!!, we ain't doing this, no way, no how".

No one was strong enough to and the result was tragic for all.
Rest in Peace Dan.
Old 23 Oct 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2975779)   #25
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Remember when the 2009's early oval races were extremely boring? Cars were al spread out in a long single file. Then they changed the bodykits and everybody went "cool, now we have racing!"