Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 10 Jan 2012, 22:26 (Ref:3010022)   #1
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
VSCC POM

Who is in for a laugh and chilly start to the season ?

I have entered the Phantom again, nevermind the handicapping formula.

Intended to miss it this year, but in the end couldnt stay away....

Rudolf
Old 11 Jan 2012, 18:01 (Ref:3010317)   #2
one-two
Racer

one-two should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pom

I am very tempted. Have done it a few times and have almost always scored zero in the brake test. On reflection, I realise that's because I don't know where and when I am supposed to stop. Any clues from others who have got the hang of that particular discipline?
Old 12 Jan 2012, 08:43 (Ref:3010537)   #3
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, we're in. Jason and I have entered the same cars as last year. Jason in the Fiat Coupe (although there's no expectation on an improvement in position...) and medriving our Aurelia. A good test day and excellent fun along the way.
Old 12 Jan 2012, 09:51 (Ref:3010573)   #4
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
HRSTR5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was tempted to enter the TR5 in the Pom , the box is rebuilt, but I won't have time/cash to give the engine the fettle it needs before hitting the track again. Shame, I've done the Pom a few times and enjoyed it every time. The Pom was my first ever event, I was very excited to get 'Pole' for the speed trial, and lead the field round for the rolling start; of course 'pole' isn't "earned" as such in the Pom, but as a complete novice I didn't care!

I even won the Brake test one year, and although never managing to repeat that performance i've scored pretty well each time. The time I won the test was with the Lancia Integrale road car, so pretty capable in the braking department! But I have one little 'secret' for that test ... about 10 miles short of Silverstone I know a deserted bit of single track road, with decent surface and no cambers and one big tree alongside, so every time I've done the Pom I've taken 10 minutes out on the drive up to find my bit of road, and practiced several start-stops, hitting the brakes alongside the sole tree. I guess you could do the same on the old runway, but I've never seen anyone doing so!

Have fun all of you, Robert you should do it. Maybe next year for me...

James
Old 13 Jan 2012, 15:44 (Ref:3011231)   #5
one-two
Racer

pom

James, is it that just the front wheels have to stop in the box or the whole car or what? I find it baffling!
Old 16 Jan 2012, 08:58 (Ref:3012201)   #6
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Robert,

My recollection is that the front wheels mustn't go past the end of the stop box, but either way I don't remember the instructions being that difficult to interprete. You'd find it pretty obvious when you saw it. It's an unusual test, and I'm not entirely sure how it helps decide what the best Grand Tourer might be ... quite fun though as an exercise, it is time-based of course, so the faster you accelerate into the zone the better, but then you get 0 points for overshooting, so you see most people barely trying to get any pace! As I said, the Integrale is a perfect weapon for that test, but then it's rubbish for the hi-speed trial unless it's stiffened and lowered, and you don't want to do that to an Integrale if you're actually going to use it on real roads, my opinion anyway, at least if you want to keep it for some time.

James
Old 16 Jan 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3012248)   #7
one-two
Racer

pom

Thanks James. I've done it a few times and never found it easy to interpret. Anything other than driving round the circuit seems to be beyond me, and even that is sometimes too.
Old 22 Feb 2012, 19:48 (Ref:3029603)   #8
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one-two View Post
Thanks James. I've done it a few times and never found it easy to interpret. Anything other than driving round the circuit seems to be beyond me, and even that is sometimes too.
The entry looks intersting, a Daimler Sovereign among others

Rudolf
Old 22 Feb 2012, 21:50 (Ref:3029650)   #9
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
One of my committee members from Stoke Row Motor Sport Day is going along to spectate.You had all better put up a good show.Not my cup of tea but hope you all have fun
Old 25 Feb 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3030981)   #10
percy
Racer

percy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very lucky with the weather today...
Just a few pics from session 1 on the track...

Last edited by percy; 25 Feb 2012 at 19:32.
Old 3 Mar 2012, 07:35 (Ref:3034359)   #11
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry for the delay but this work thing keeps getting in the way! What a great day - super weather, great competition and meeting up with good mates although it was a wee bit busy.

Jason in the Fiat and me in the Aurelia and the first 4 tests went well. Jason got a couple of third overall quickest times and I finally cracked the brake test. Faster than quite a few moderns and that with drum brakes. The standing and flying start 250s went very well and I was very pleased with the flying time which again was quicker than a few moderns.

On to the high speed trial after a rushed lunch. I had 23 laps to complete and with 2 other (more standard) Aurelia's in the field I was really looking forward to it. It all went swimmingly, the aim to take it easy and get my laps in which worked to perfection. Indeed I rather exceeded my laps despite not pushing and I greatly enjoyed being on track with many fantastic Pre-war cars.

Jason had 32 laps to complete which was a little tougher. However although not as spectacular as last year in the slippery conditions, the Fiat very quickly circulated the track and he managed his laps. We stayed with friends overnight but endured issues with both cars on the on home however it didn't sour a lovely weekend.

The results are out and I am overjoyed to report that Jason yet again got a First (and 8th overall) and I again got a Third (26th overall). Very satisfying indeed. Jason has entered 4 times and got awards in all which says a lot for his skills but also our choice of cars - clearly the Coupe, Lancia Beta and Aurelia are fab GT cars. But then we knew that anyway!
Old 4 Mar 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3034994)   #12
HRSTR5
Racer

England
Surrey, England
Good work Team Kennedy!

I really must try to have a car ready and working for the Pom again one year, down it a few times, good fun, but have never medalled - must try harder!

James