Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Feb 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3028830)   #76
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derwent Motorsp View Post

I was a bit concerned to read that the CSCC was not a limited company. I think I would be doubtful about becoming a member if that was the case.
My mistake, the Classic Sports Car Club is a limited company, it is limited by guarantee, no member is liable. It has no share capital and no share holders. I guess what I meant was that CSCC is not a business trading to make money for its shareholders; it operates to put on race meetings for the benefit of its members. Those members help the club out by providing working capital in the form of registration fees & membership fees as part of the club's annual business model, & hence why the club concentrates on trying to provide a service to that full time membership.
Old 21 Feb 2012, 12:34 (Ref:3028851)   #77
Paul D
Veteran

England
Southport, Merseyside
Paul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaul D should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that, as a CSCC member, I feel I've been treated pretty fairly to date from a financial standpoint.

It's a few years ago now, but when I first started racing with them part way through 2008, I seem to remember being allowed to do my first race without paying the series registration fee (just had to join the club). Then, upon deciding I wanted to do more that year, I was asked to pay the registration fee - but to my surprise, and without any prompting from me, they only charged me 50% (from memory) of the full fee, as the season was more than half over by then. To me, I thought that was quite fair - I'm sure there are some clubs that would have charged the full whack, even though I only actually competed in one more race that year.

Now, I don't know if attitudes have changed since then - hopefully not. Nobody likes the idea of registration fees, least of all me, but the fact is that we seem to be stuck with them (with the majority of clubs, at least), so we either put up or shut up. Yes, it would be nice to be able to simply cherry-pick the events we all want to compete in, regardless of the organising club. But you have to expect that the clubs are going to put their paid-up members' interests first - and surely, that's what any of us would want, as a member of any given club?
Old 22 Feb 2012, 03:28 (Ref:3029249)   #78
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have read this thread with interest and it seems we have quite a different situation in Australia, at club/state level.

There is no series/championship registration fee for circuit racing, just an entry fee per event. Every entrant is eligible for points & trophies and there is no series/championship regsitration required.

Rally series/championships do have series registration with an annual fee of around 35 GBP. If competitors choose not to pay the series registration fee, they are still eligible to take part in the event, but they are not eligible for series points/trophies. Of course, per event entry fees are payable by all competitors.
Old 25 Feb 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3030811)   #79
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well registration with FISCAR (6 races) this year is just £30, and that's really to ensure that we have a bit in the bank to cover any potential stickers/promotional/website costs. Surely it is not an important consideration to any racer prepared to incur race entry costs?
Old 25 Feb 2012, 13:03 (Ref:3030867)   #80
historic racer
Rookie

historic racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
£30 is a pittance and one that I would be happy to pay, in fact an amount that I am just about to pay so that my driver can compete in a particular series. Those who charge £100 plus are just extracting money to subsidise their financial failings in other directions. To those who have pointed out that I am free to walk away , quite right, I have done just that to many series we could have run in.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 14:32 (Ref:3035397)   #81
McMuttley
Racer

England
Bromley
McMuttley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Relevant 'leader' from the Editor in this month's Vintage Racecar entitled 'Invasion of te micro-club' - albeit US orientated.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 15:12 (Ref:3035409)   #82
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's interesting to note that there are one or two events open to non club participants, one of which is the 360 at Snetterton. Many people on here gave the impression that this event is exactly what they want, yet how many have entered?

It seems to me that the same may be true of those who gripe about club fees. They appear to be a majority on here but when it comes to the crunch they are a minority to the clubs, who put their members interests first.
Old 5 Mar 2012, 18:04 (Ref:3035503)   #83
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Point 1 - me!

Point 2 - club fees. I left the MGCC over that very point, when they did away with "open" club races at MG Live and only let in registered championship competitors.

I know it's no skin off their nose and that doesn't worry me at all. I still enjoy my motor sport. One can pay out left, right and centre to join clubs, championships or series that you're unlikely to race in, or one can hunt around for open events here and overseas that represent solid value. I'll find the few races I want to do this year thanks. It won't worry the clubs that I'm not out to play with them and the dead money saved will enhance my meagre racing budget. So it's a win-win really!
Old 5 Mar 2012, 18:21 (Ref:3035515)   #84
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Point 1 - me!
Me too but I'm also entering Masters, HRDC, HSCC and other events. (Please HRDC, wher are those forms?)

Quote:
Point 2 - club fees. I left the MGCC over that very point, when they did away with "open" club races at MG Live and only let in registered championship competitors.
I'm not entered/registered in any championships but I fully expect to be at MG Live. I've been there many times even without an MG. The caveat to that is subject to my shared drive at Spa the week before which may or may not happen. If it does, it precludes me hanging around in the UK for a week.

Quote:
I know it's no skin off their nose and that doesn't worry me at all. I still enjoy my motor sport. One can pay out left, right and centre to join clubs, championships or series that you're unlikely to race in, or one can hunt around for open events here and overseas that represent solid value. I'll find the few races I want to do this year thanks. It won't worry the clubs that I'm not out to play with them and the dead money saved will enhance my meagre racing budget. So it's a win-win really!
Ok but don't complain about it. You, and others, make your choice which is fine. And as you say I'm sure the clubs could care less whether you, (or anyone else) enter or not.