Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 3 Oct 2021, 06:23 (Ref:4076811)   #5726
2 litre Touring Car Star
Veteran

Australia
2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed2 litre Touring Car Star User had had their licence endorsed
With the exception of not having the Indy 500. There was nothing wrong with CART as it was in its last authentic season, which for me was 2002.

I disagree with Teretonga's point about Reynard dominating the field and hampering Lola. It's a part of the competition, which is the point. The fluctuation of form is a part of the charm, not a detraction.

Lola had effectively a "captive market" in the 90s, Reynard began and usurped them, before Lola got back to competitiveness then picking off the series with da Matta.

Cost rise because it contributes to winning. The ideal way of life would be to diminish the value of winning, like in motorbikes. You can spend however much you want in MotoGP for instance, but it doesn't create a comparable advantage like it does in cars, and keeps the variables of authentic motor racing.

Indycar as it currently is maybe the best way for the time, it's not ideal overall. The more the merrier, as it increases the competition, tension, focus points.

There were 9 winners in 17 races in 95. So the current regs are that remarkable.
Old 3 Oct 2021, 12:35 (Ref:4076819)   #5727
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post
With the exception of not having the Indy 500. There was nothing wrong with CART as it was in its last authentic season, which for me was 2002.

I disagree with Teretonga's point about Reynard dominating the field and hampering Lola. It's a part of the competition, which is the point. The fluctuation of form is a part of the charm, not a detraction.

Lola had effectively a "captive market" in the 90s, Reynard began and usurped them, before Lola got back to competitiveness then picking off the series with da Matta.

Cost rise because it contributes to winning. The ideal way of life would be to diminish the value of winning, like in motorbikes. You can spend however much you want in MotoGP for instance, but it doesn't create a comparable advantage like it does in cars, and keeps the variables of authentic motor racing.

Indycar as it currently is maybe the best way for the time, it's not ideal overall. The more the merrier, as it increases the competition, tension, focus points.

There were 9 winners in 17 races in 95. So the current regs are that remarkable.

Prior to Lola, March dominated winning the Constructors' Cup from 1982 - 87.

The dominance of one chassis over another, is akin to one constructor in F1 dominating over another. However, in order to stop that and level the playing field, F1 is implementing a cost cap. I don't see why IndyCar could not also implement a cost cap, if they opened up chassis manufacturing?
Old 4 Oct 2021, 05:20 (Ref:4076890)   #5728
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 litre Touring Car Star View Post

I never said Reynard hampered Lola.
My point was that there were two companies building chassis but when one of them (Lola) slipped up that created an issue for the Lola teams. It meant they weren't competitive unless they went out and bought Reynard's, which a few of them did.
Yes, its a part of competition but the effect on teams with marginal balance sheets, raising sponsorship to underwrite their operations, its a result that it took some time for some drivers and teams to recover from.
Indycar isn't actually that strong financially even now.

Having one spec chassis takes that oddball consideration out of the way.
and it leaves us with a highly competitive series focused on the performance of engines and drivers alone..

And while its not ideal from a competitive point of view, the present situation is working well with a slowly increasing public profile.
In an age where everything, even NASCAR and WEC, is being narrowed down to limited variety in chassis construction, the present situation is giving Indycar and opportunity to recover some of it's previous prestige.
Old 4 Oct 2021, 13:05 (Ref:4076922)   #5729
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Exactly. See LMP2. Four chassis were announced, but nearly every European team uses the Oreca.
Old 5 Oct 2021, 15:02 (Ref:4077053)   #5730
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm disappointed in the loss of Detroit double header. Also not sure if I'll go when it isn't at Belle isle.

I'm going to get on my rant about penske/pagenaud again. He outperformed power yet again, but power got a two year extension while pagenaud is dropped. Pagenauds points finish would have looked a lot better had power not taken him out at Nashville and newgarden bumping him out the way at another race. He won a championship and an indy 500. What more did he have to do?

With power making mistakes and having 2 disappointing seasons in a row, and McLaughlin not really impressive, that 3 car lineup for penske looks less than penske level quality. I expect McLaughlin will show up much better next year, but a second top 5 points challenger like pagenaud would have certainly helped....

Also, maybe it's a Chevy thing, but penske wasn't as high quality in general this year. Being the top Chevy team and Chevy being behind Honda may explain a lot of it, though. Seems every race was 7 of the top 10 being Honda powered.
Old 5 Oct 2021, 15:29 (Ref:4077062)   #5731
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It probably was inevitable we would lose the double header. Belle Isle was good and certainly was better than the downtown GP circuit at Detroit, but we'll see

I do wonder why Pagenued is not out of Penske. Has he got better options? I really hope he does, a talent like that would be wasted otherwise. Fingers crossed for the future for him, he could even drop back down a series and still perform

Power has been a bit of a disappointment as you say and McLaughlin has been ok, but nothing major. I do wonder what Penske is doing. They need to do better than this, but there you go

I just hope they can get something sorted, they are losing big time to others. Whether the Chevy engine is not working or they haven't got the chassis sorted IDK, but it does not look great for them against the Honda runners who seem to have their engine/chassis sorted
Old 5 Oct 2021, 18:12 (Ref:4077094)   #5732
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
The only thing I see as a positive of leaving penske, of which there aren't really "better" options is that with newgarden and power he was always going to be second fiddle and not really prioritized in a championship fight.

He's going to Meyer shank racing, so not really a title contending team yet. Though with him and castroneves I could see the team improving development wise and jumping into a race winning contender, and top 10 points finish. Top ten in this series is pretty good, when you figure you have 1 penske, 3 ganassi, 1 mclaren and 2 andretti cars you can pretty much slot into the top ten. That leaves 3 spots for the other 2 penskes, the other mclaren, a third andretti, plus MSR, rahal (×2) and maybe one other out there.

I'm obviously biased, I like pagenaud. Have ever since he was deferran's secret weapon in the p2 Acura in ALMS. But I can't figure out why he was never fully embraced at penske. He struggled year one (similar to mclaughlin) and there was talk of him being on the hot seat in year 2. Don't hear that about McLaughlin. So what did he do? Just won a championship... 2 years later he's back on the hot seat before getting resigned one more time. After that he wins a 500 and is still out. Seems crazy to me.
Old 5 Oct 2021, 19:36 (Ref:4077105)   #5733
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
The only thing I see as a positive of leaving penske, of which there aren't really "better" options is that with newgarden and power he was always going to be second fiddle and not really prioritized in a championship fight.

He's going to Meyer shank racing, so not really a title contending team yet. Though with him and castroneves I could see the team improving development wise and jumping into a race winning contender, and top 10 points finish. Top ten in this series is pretty good, when you figure you have 1 penske, 3 ganassi, 1 mclaren and 2 andretti cars you can pretty much slot into the top ten. That leaves 3 spots for the other 2 penskes, the other mclaren, a third andretti, plus MSR, rahal (×2) and maybe one other out there.

I'm obviously biased, I like pagenaud. Have ever since he was deferran's secret weapon in the p2 Acura in ALMS. But I can't figure out why he was never fully embraced at penske. He struggled year one (similar to mclaughlin) and there was talk of him being on the hot seat in year 2. Don't hear that about McLaughlin. So what did he do? Just won a championship... 2 years later he's back on the hot seat before getting resigned one more time. After that he wins a 500 and is still out. Seems crazy to me.

Maybe with Pagenaud it was a clash of personalities and he just didn't gel with Team Penske but was always able to deliver the goods when it mattered in order to keep his seat? As you say, he was in the hot seat in his second year at Penske, won the championship in 2016. Two years later he's back in the hot seat, gets re-signed and wins the 500 in 2019 and is finally out at the end of this season.

Penske hasn't signed a fourth driver to replace Pagenaud, so clearly wants to field a three car team and has the drivers he wants in those seats.

As for McLaughlin, he comes from a completely different school of racing and it is his first full season in IndyCar, so I wouldn't necessarily expect him to be right up there and he is sort of Rodger Penke's Golden Boy, having won the Supercars Championship three times in a row.
Old 5 Oct 2021, 20:27 (Ref:4077113)   #5734
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think there's also something to drivers being adapted to the way teams build a car. Especially given Penske has a very different shock and bits package to the rest. If you don't drive the car how it is and fight it you just won't get the most from it.

Hopefully he and Helio full time can convince the guys at MSR to stop being cute and trying to out think the field. Seems like Indy and IMSA they're trying to be cutesy and try things, just be there at the end and see what happens.
Old 6 Oct 2021, 12:37 (Ref:4077184)   #5735
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Sato leaves RLL, saying landing a ride with a new team was “just 50/50, so it’s a difficult situation.''

https://racer.com/2021/10/05/rahal-l...ms-satos-exit/
Old 6 Oct 2021, 13:20 (Ref:4077188)   #5736
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Think we'll see him at Indy in a one off but the rest of the season not so much
Old 11 Oct 2021, 16:33 (Ref:4078055)   #5737
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Jack Harvey confirmed at Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing.

https://racer.com/2021/10/11/rll-con...ycar-campaign/
Old 11 Oct 2021, 19:41 (Ref:4078094)   #5738
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
I think there's also something to drivers being adapted to the way teams build a car. Especially given Penske has a very different shock and bits package to the rest. If you don't drive the car how it is and fight it you just won't get the most from it.

Hopefully he and Helio full time can convince the guys at MSR to stop being cute and trying to out think the field. Seems like Indy and IMSA they're trying to be cutesy and try things, just be there at the end and see what happens.
He seemingly adapted well, winning a championship and 500. Maybe those were both before the new chassis though? I know t championship was at least. Maybe he hasn't adjusted well to the new chassis the last few years? But he did finish pretty high up in the points last few years though.

Or maybe he wanted to be the focal point of a team rather than the third or fourth ranked guy?
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:38 (Ref:4078112)   #5739
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
New chassis?? I don't believe they've done anything with the chassis in a few years outside of the aeroscreen addition. Now the shock packages, and other tweakable bits, have changed and will always change as it is the big development area. Maybe he does not like the development path but he has been consistently behind the rest of the Penske pack for the last couple seasons. Although it may be their development cause the results don't seem to be as consistent across the team either.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 20:54 (Ref:4078122)   #5740
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWill2073 View Post
He seemingly adapted well, winning a championship and 500. Maybe those were both before the new chassis though? I know t championship was at least. Maybe he hasn't adjusted well to the new chassis the last few years? But he did finish pretty high up in the points last few years though.

Or maybe he wanted to be the focal point of a team rather than the third or fourth ranked guy?

He won the championship in 2016, driving the DW12 with the Chevy aero-kit and won the 500 in 2019, driving the DW12 with the current aero-kit UAK18, or Universal Aero Kit 2018, pre the introduction of Red Bull Advanced Technologies Aeroscreen in 2020.
Old 11 Oct 2021, 21:16 (Ref:4078129)   #5741
RWill2073
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
New chassis?? I don't believe they've done anything with the chassis in a few years outside of the aeroscreen addition. Now the shock packages, and other tweakable bits, have changed and will always change as it is the big development area. Maybe he does not like the development path but he has been consistently behind the rest of the Penske pack for the last couple seasons. Although it may be their development cause the results don't seem to be as consistent across the team either.
Aero kits and previous design of the chassis, up to 2017. 2018 to present is universal kit with new design features (may just be cosmetic differences, to be fair, but the aero kits were for sure different).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He won the championship in 2016, driving the DW12 with the Chevy aero-kit and won the 500 in 2019, driving the DW12 with the current aero-kit UAK18, or Universal Aero Kit 2018, pre the introduction of Red Bull Advanced Technologies Aeroscreen in 2020.
Right, so maybe he has struggled with the newer cars, without aero packages and new design. I was just trying to make sense of how he didn't adapt to how penske built their cars, after seemingly adapting just fine, prior to that. If I remember correctly, he was top 3 or so in points the year after winning the championship, which would have been 2017, last year of older version of chassis and aero kits. 2018 brings new cars, and maybe he didn't adapt to that as well?
Old 12 Oct 2021, 13:01 (Ref:4078202)   #5742
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Definitely they could do with a bit more variety in terms of set up. It's a shame we are stuck with the current universal kit, it would be nice to see different ideas come up. It's not that bad though

Pagenued does seem to have struggled with the newer cars and is maybe missing a bit more opportunity to show his talent. Penske have gone a bit backwards of terms of how they've prepared their car too. Maybe it is time for a change for Simon. Just hope he makes the right choice. He deserves to be remind everyone how good he is
Old 15 Oct 2021, 00:28 (Ref:4078517)   #5743
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Definitely they could do with a bit more variety in terms of set up. It's a shame we are stuck with the current universal kit, it would be nice to see different ideas come up. It's not that bad though

Pagenued does seem to have struggled with the newer cars and is maybe missing a bit more opportunity to show his talent. Penske have gone a bit backwards of terms of how they've prepared their car too. Maybe it is time for a change for Simon. Just hope he makes the right choice. He deserves to be remind everyone how good he is
Simon is with MSR now. Long term contract includes some IMSA. he'll work with Helio and feels its better than the compromised set ups stuff he had at Penske
Old 15 Oct 2021, 10:46 (Ref:4078564)   #5744
S griffin
Veteran

It's probably for the best with Simon. He could learn a lot from Helio and do more with his talent there
Old 15 Oct 2021, 11:07 (Ref:4078566)   #5745
S griffin
Veteran

I do hope Simon is still able to show his talent, but him and Helio should make a great team anyways. Of course it was probably not his choice really where he ended up, but at least he keeps his foot in the door
Old 17 Oct 2021, 03:59 (Ref:4078837)   #5746
WyldStallion
Veteran

WyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWyldStallion should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Wheldon memorial articles on Racer are brilliant. Some of Marshall's finest work. Marco Andretti I think is childless there is no next generation of Andrettis coming up. Enter Oliver and Sebastain. So the Wheldon boys appears to be filling that gap. Brilliant move for Andretti Autosport to be supporting them.
Old 17 Oct 2021, 06:54 (Ref:4078846)   #5747
S griffin
Veteran

Yes it's nice to see quite a few articles and podcasts remembering Dan 10 years on. A true great of the series who will never be forgotten
Old 20 Oct 2021, 15:18 (Ref:4079251)   #5748
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lundgaard confirmed at RLL for the season

https://racer.com/2021/10/20/team-rl...for-lundgaard/
Old 20 Oct 2021, 15:25 (Ref:4079253)   #5749
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
There's 8 European drivers confirmed, with Marcus Ericsson still pending at Ganassi.
Old 20 Oct 2021, 21:15 (Ref:4079286)   #5750
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Lundgaard confirmed at RLL for the season

https://racer.com/2021/10/20/team-rl...for-lundgaard/
Wow that is a line up (well, Graham excluded!)