Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Oct 2013, 10:04 (Ref:3318368)   #1
louonline
Racer

louonline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1's at Mount Panorama Bathurst

Hi guys, tonight Bathurst Council agreed to seek funds to to upgrade the track to make it suitable for F1's.

It is intended to have some sort of F1 event in 2015 as part of Bathurst's Bicentennial Anniversary Celebration.

Any email of support/approval from any of you would help to strengthen Council's resolve.

This link to the Mayor and all the Councillors.

http://www.bathurst.nsw.gov.au/council/councillors

Just email the Mayor and CC all the Councillors.
Don't drive faster than your Angel can fly.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3318386)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Sorry, do you want this to happen or not? (confused)

I don't see any reason why you WOULD want them to change the track for F1. To get it to a level to host an official 'Formula One' sanctioned event, the place would have to be changed beyond recognition. Why destroy one of the best tracks on the world in the name of eff-1
Old 16 Oct 2013, 11:26 (Ref:3318393)   #3
louonline
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

I don't see any reason why you WOULD want them to change the track for F1. To get it to a level to host an official 'Formula One' sanctioned event, the place would have to be changed beyond recognition. Why destroy one of the best tracks on the world in the name of eff-1
----------------------------
Yes I do.

NO changes to the actual track. Only things like move walls and create more run-offs.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 11:55 (Ref:3318404)   #4
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by louonline View Post
Yes I do.

NO changes to the actual track. Only things like move walls and create more run-offs.
Oh no they'll ruin the place, particularly if Tilke is involved. Expect acres of concrete run off, spectators so far back you might as well be watching on TV and I'm sure they'll want lots of nice exciting slow corners, oh and debris fencing everywhere as well. Not a good idea!

Please do not ruin one of the World's greatest tracks!
Old 16 Oct 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3318417)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

Quote:
Yes I do.

If moving walls and creating massive areas of run off isn't making drastic changes what is?
Don't spoil it, until after I've been there at least.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3318422)   #6
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Crazy to upgrade it to F1 needs - I'm not convinced it could even be done with the drop offs and sheer drops in places immediately behind the walls.

Then there'd be the little problem of funding the F1 sanction fee, convincing Bernie that there'd be enough accommodation in the area for the teams even (there wouldn't be, there's not enough for the V8 teams if they didn't do the homestay thing with people renting them houses & moving out of town for the duration of the event).

Historic F1 might make some sense for some of the events held at the mountain but to run a GP there? Tell 'em they're dreamin'.

After all that, they'd ruin a bloody good circuit in the process.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 14:33 (Ref:3318457)   #7
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This has got to be a wind up. Anyone who has been there would tell you the track is not suitable for F1. It nearly took an act of parliament to get open wheelers back there in recent years as they were banned for a long time due to the lack of safety across the top of the circuit. Was this conceived at the after race party and a few drinks by all concerned?
Old 16 Oct 2013, 15:18 (Ref:3318477)   #8
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I looked, we apparently don't have a "facepalm" emoticon.

While we are at it, lets bring back F1 to the Nordschleife. Move all of those barriers way WAY back. Plenty of paved run off (Flugplatz comes to mind). No changes to the track itself mind you!

Richard
Old 16 Oct 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3318484)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ouch, looks like the OP won't get too much support in this forum !
Old 16 Oct 2013, 16:00 (Ref:3318495)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Ouch, looks like the OP won't get too much support in this forum !
Ultimately it should be a local decision. I guess the local owners/organizers/money people should understand what it will mean (from the perspective of those who might visit the track), but my guess is that most remote fans would feel the same (don't screw with a classic track to try to meet current F1 regulations).

Sorry for coming down hard on the OP!

Richard
Old 16 Oct 2013, 16:11 (Ref:3318500)   #11
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Absoloutley rediculous idea. Why tarnish one of Australias greatest circuits just to host one Formula 1 race?! Besides, Melbourne already hosts the first round of each season (As long as its contract lasts).

The Bathurst 1000, and the 12 Hour are perfectly good enough. The 12 hour is quickly on the rise and gaining some large interest from the GT3 ranks.

Bathurst doesnt have any room for the overly inflated egos of Formula 1.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3318501)   #12
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A circuit will not be added unless built for a Grade 1 license. Bathurst will never hold a formal F1 GP.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 16 Oct 2013, 16:26 (Ref:3318505)   #13
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
I echo what everyone else has said on here. NOT a good idea, for a variety of reasons. Notwithstanding that the uniqueness and individuality of Bathurst will be next to ruined with the safety features that will have to be installed for F1. I hope this doesn't take off...
Old 16 Oct 2013, 16:29 (Ref:3318507)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
This is a VERY BAD idea.
They should keep their hands of the track.

And if you have V8 Supercars why would you want F1?
Old 16 Oct 2013, 17:44 (Ref:3318522)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The answer is simple let's all click on the link and tell the councillors what a bad idea it is:

http://www.bathurst.nsw.gov.au/council/councillors

'Hoist on one's own petard' comes to mind.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 18:00 (Ref:3318525)   #16
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Surely this came out of a discussion of the Bathurst Council ..... 'after a few beers'.
It can't be a serious suggestion from anyone who has the faintest idea of how the FIA and (more importantly) Formula 1 Management works.
Is it 1st April?
Old 16 Oct 2013, 18:26 (Ref:3318538)   #17
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they just want a demo event then should not need any changes, F1 cars have done Nordschleife in recent years.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3318540)   #18
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Was there not talk of a track using the pits, but only using half of the mountain and Conrod straights with the effectively an infield circuit to join the two. something like that could be perhaps grade 2 and attract world championships such as WTCC, leaving the top of the mountain for the V8s.

Surely that would make much more sense?
Old 16 Oct 2013, 19:43 (Ref:3318586)   #19
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Changes seem pointless. The track is demo ready as it is and to race F1 there you'd nearly have to flatten the place.

I didn't think these guys were that bothered with F1, they don't reschedule any of their stuff for it. Quite right too. The 1000 often overlaps the Japanese GP with no apologies made or asked for. If they had any money - which they don't - Indycar would be amusing there. Laguna Seca on steriods. F1 won't go there.

F1 destroys pre-existing tracks. Any track worth its salt should have an anti-Tilke restraining order imposed or Tilke repellent spray or something.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 19:48 (Ref:3318589)   #20
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There won't be much of a mountain left by the time it is suitable for an F1 car....

Bathurst chased an F1 race back in the 70s, and a World Sportscar race in the early 90s. In both cases, the ultimate decision was to pass on it as the track would have been ruined to make it suitable to race on (though in the 1970s, 'ruined' probably applied to how the track looks today)

Even some World Sportscar team owners at the time were calling for the Bathurst race not to happen, as it would have ruined the circuit.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 19:56 (Ref:3318592)   #21
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Save Bathurst from F1!

It's ruined enough great tracks already.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 20:58 (Ref:3318629)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we should have a petition......

In the interests of fairness, I wonder, does anyone agree with the OP's original sentiments and wish to put up an argument? Does the OP want to come back and defend the idea?

(For the record, I'm very much anti any suggestion of defacing Bathurst on the altar of the Great God F1...... )
Old 16 Oct 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3318631)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we should have a petition......

In the interests of fairness, I wonder, does anyone agree with the OP's original sentiments and wish to put up an argument? Does the OP want to come back and defend the idea?

(For the record, I'm very much anti any suggestion of defacing Bathurst on the altar of the Great God F1. )
Old 16 Oct 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3318632)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Was there not talk of a track using the pits, but only using half of the mountain and Conrod straights with the effectively an infield circuit to join the two. something like that could be perhaps grade 2 and attract world championships such as WTCC, leaving the top of the mountain for the V8s.

Surely that would make much more sense?
WTCC can race on the current track.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3318633)   #25
louonline
Racer

Wow guys, talk about getting whacked!

Perhaps I gave you the wrong idea in my opening post.

They are NOT looking for a round of the GP more of a one-off event similar to when Jenson Button came here a couple years ago and 2500 people turned up to watch him do a half dozen laps. Do do the same thing only with more cars they need to move some concrete walls and widen to run off area up the top. Nothing as drastic as some people here imagine.
BTW debries barriers are all ready in place as this was a requirement to even run the V8's. Don't panic the Mount will not be carved up just made a bit safer and this is probably something they'll have to do anyway sooner or later.
The first race at the Mount in 1938 was the Australian GP and it would be nice to have a field of F1's go around as part of the Bicentennial Celebrations.