Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 9 Apr 2005, 18:22 (Ref:1274174)   #26
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have just got back, 12 cars is pretty bad, I was quite shocked when I walked down the paddock this morning. The Lexus has had problems all day, the Proctor Astra wasn't out in qualifying due to engine problems, the team are changing the engine over night. Hopefully the 2nd Lexus and WSR will be back at Thruxton.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 18:37 (Ref:1274177)   #27
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who's missing:

2nd WSR
2nd Lexus
GA Motorsport Alfa #1
GA Motorsport Alfa #2
Tech-Speed
Arena
Arena 2?

Dead/elsewhere
Mardi Gras / VLR fell through
Varta
Proton

I still make that 7 potential entries later in the season - ones I'm sure Gow will be pushing to get their act together.

Arena are all the more likely now the MG deal would appear to be looking shaky & GA should at least be able to get one car out.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1274178)   #28
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope your right Hazard, although at the moment nothing seems to be happening so it looks like just 12 cars for this year's BTCC
Old 9 Apr 2005, 18:59 (Ref:1274191)   #29
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought we were definitely promised annoucnements to bolster the grid - yet sadly none were forthcoming. It's seriously depressing, and really doesn't say a lot of the UK racing scene. There are a few strong entries, but its' just not an impressive grid, and pathetic value for anyone considering going. Putting the Cupras on the grid alongside the main race would surely represent favouritism - and what happens when a Vauxhall comes up to lap a Cupra Cup car with a SEAT chasing it? This is TOCA's mess, and they've got to sort it out, somehow.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1274200)   #30
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
I think we all were expecting alot and so little has happened. I'd hate to be in some people's shoes come Monday morning....
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1274207)   #31
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry the more I think about this the more tragic it all appears. I have just been reading the WTCC website... it really is like chalk and cheese
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:27 (Ref:1274208)   #32
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just read Alan Gow's pre season interview and I'm afraid he needs a reality check. Comments like "But the bottom line is if you’re a manufacturer wanting to go into British motorsport, what else are you gonna go into? There’s no other British motorsport that gives them this profile, nowhere near it. The manufacturers that want to do motorsport at the moment are in. The manufacturers that want to do motorsport will come in and they’ll come into this championship because there’s really no other choice for them "
Well I just hope the situation improves, but world touring cars is now whre it is at with "Global Marketing".

Also comments like this don't impress me "We might have lost two Protons as a manufacturer team but to be honest they weren’t championship runners, were they?"

Maybe not put they put cars on the grid and were seats for two drivers.

I made comments on the state of all this before the season and I now stand corrected. Two manufacturers it's awful and the championship needs addressing ASAP. Start by adopting the 2000 rules and regulations across the board to allow ex ETCC and now WTCC cars to enter on an even keel. Manufacturers won't spend time designing and building cars for two different sets of regulations? think about it.

Last edited by Wilbo; 9 Apr 2005 at 19:29.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1274211)   #33
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
Also comments like this don't impress me "[I]We might have lost two Protons as a manufacturer team but to be honest they weren’t championship runners, were they?"

What goes around comes around... i'm sure he's regretting that comment now, I mean come on, atlest they put something forward to the BTCC and helped the excitement and action packed race meetings from the past 3 seasons.

Last edited by SPARK Msport; 9 Apr 2005 at 19:32.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 19:32 (Ref:1274212)   #34
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig
Sorry the more I think about this the more tragic it all appears. I have just been reading the WTCC website... it really is like chalk and cheese
Avoiding the negativity then somewhat, it's actually quite amazing how big the WTCC field is.

Especially considering there is little chance of anyone beating BMW or Alfa, and with the television package on offer, any chance of their car even being seen if it's outside of the top 8....what did the WTCC do right that the BTCC didn't? Apart from the 'World' title, if that counts.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1274242)   #35
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was at Donington today and saw some good racing even though there was only 10/12 cars give them a chance.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:23 (Ref:1274245)   #36
Wilbo
Racer

Wilbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes that is fair enough.

I think we all just want the best from the BTCC and to enjoy the racing on offer with enough variety to keep us all entertained.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1274247)   #37
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
We were told to expect the best season ever, we were told we were going to be the head of British Motorsport, we were told that after 2000 teams would come flooding back, and here, 2005, with a stupid figuare of 2 manufactures and 10-12 cars, expect to give them a chance? This is worse than 2000, atlest there was another manufacture running.

Sorry if it sounds strong, but its my feelings, the last few years have been great but where has it all gone wrong?

Last edited by SPARK Msport; 9 Apr 2005 at 20:27.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 21:21 (Ref:1274278)   #38
DTM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Blackpool
DTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
won't be worth bothering about the pitlane autograph session.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1274292)   #39
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM
won't be worth bothering about the pitlane autograph session.
Why not you should manage to get evryones autographs with so few drivers
Old 9 Apr 2005, 21:44 (Ref:1274295)   #40
DTM
Rookie

United Kingdom
Blackpool
DTM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
only 2 drivers we have not got.
Old 9 Apr 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1274323)   #41
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC has just moved a hundred miles away from what the spectators and the drivers want as I think they should be spectacular 400bhp plus rear wheel drive cars without driver aids.
But even putting that aside 11 or 12 cars out at Donington is an absolute joke. With MG going bust I hardly think that bodes well for West Surrey's entries.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 06:12 (Ref:1274410)   #42
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we should bear with it. There are plenty of BTCC cars ready to run (about half a dozen Astras, a couple of MGs and the GA Alfa) I think drivers will realise that a year in BTCC could prove better value for their sponsors than a year in lets say, GT or F3, and then some late deals will be done.

Until Arenas plans were delayed, and the cracks appeared at in VLR, then this was shaping up to be a high quality field
Old 10 Apr 2005, 07:32 (Ref:1274431)   #43
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlake27
I think we should bear with it. There are plenty of BTCC cars ready to run (about half a dozen Astras, a couple of MGs and the GA Alfa) I think drivers will realise that a year in BTCC could prove better value for their sponsors than a year in lets say, GT or F3, and then some late deals will be done.
I would have thought most open wheel teams want to stay open wheel while most drivers want to get eventually into F1. How many teams would jump to touring cars? In the golden age of F1, how many open wheels teams jumped over to ST? I'm assuming Indie teams and not Works teams?

Last edited by kmchow; 10 Apr 2005 at 07:39.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 07:36 (Ref:1274432)   #44
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the money is right, they will do it. Only a few diehard single seater teams wouldn't change. Business is business.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 08:20 (Ref:1274440)   #45
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbo
Just read Alan Gow's pre season interview and I'm afraid he needs a reality check. Comments like "But the bottom line is if you’re a manufacturer wanting to go into British motorsport, what else are you gonna go into? There’s no other British motorsport that gives them this profile, nowhere near it. The manufacturers that want to do motorsport at the moment are in. The manufacturers that want to do motorsport will come in and they’ll come into this championship because there’s really no other choice for them "
Well I just hope the situation improves, but world touring cars is now whre it is at with "Global Marketing".

I made comments on the state of all this before the season and I now stand corrected. Two manufacturers it's awful and the championship needs addressing ASAP. Start by adopting the 2000 rules and regulations across the board to allow ex ETCC and now WTCC cars to enter on an even keel. Manufacturers won't spend time designing and building cars for two different sets of regulations? think about it.
You're spot on about adopting the WTCC S2000 regs, but I'd go further and say that the creation of the BTCC-Touring regs for 2001 was a huge mistake. Personally, I've always thought that TOCA should have gone the S2000 route from the start- instead they went out on a limb with a unique-to-Britain set of regs that have made it difficult for the BTCC to benefit from the growth of the ETCC/WTCC because, as you said, manufacturers won't take the time and money to develop cars to two different sets of rules.

Let's hope they see sense for 2006...
Old 10 Apr 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1274447)   #46
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
You're spot on about adopting the WTCC S2000 regs, but I'd go further and say that the creation of the BTCC-Touring regs for 2001 was a huge mistake. Personally, I've always thought that TOCA should have gone the S2000 route from the start- instead they went out on a limb with a unique-to-Britain set of regs that have made it difficult for the BTCC to benefit from the growth of the ETCC/WTCC because, as you said, manufacturers won't take the time and money to develop cars to two different sets of rules.

Let's hope they see sense for 2006...
The BTCC spec rules are fixed until 2007...to withdraw them would potentially only upset Vauxhall & Team Dynamics at this point...but why would Gow want to upset anyone?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 10:23 (Ref:1274525)   #47
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlake27
..... and the cracks appeared at in VLR
Err....... Shouldn't that be "the crack appeared at VLR"?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1274544)   #48
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Decent race that, despite the pitiful field.

Lets hope we get more cars out ASAP.

Well done Matt
Old 10 Apr 2005, 10:55 (Ref:1274551)   #49
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Good race...race two should be good....will love to see all the rookies thrown at the front in race three.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 10:56 (Ref:1274552)   #50
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done Matt...tough break Frenchie