Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Dec 2001, 12:54 (Ref:189899)   #1
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will a Prototype actually win at Daytona this year?

Its funny that since Grand Am is out for the privateer, two factory supported teams have been victorious the last two years, driving GTS Vipers and Corvettes. Its amazing that a Prototype has not been able to complete the distance out in front, and I haven't been too impressed with the Grand Am series as a result of that (among other things).

So can we, with a slightly larger field of protos (ie Ascari and Dallara), expect to actually see one make the finsih out front or will another GTS (or even GT!) car win again? Saleen, Viper, or maybe a private Corvette (I heard one might be entered).

I know one thing, you'll never hear the end of it if one of Porsche's GT cars wins the race. One finished second last year.
Old 27 Dec 2001, 13:00 (Ref:189902)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The Vipers and Corvettes have done a tremendous job over the last two years and I don't want to take anything away from them, but I would be extremely disappointed to see a GT 911 win the Daytona 24 Hours. As you say H16, I think the organisers would be pretty embarrassed. In the past, Daytona was able to put up a fair argument to be accorded similar status to the Le Mans 24 Hours, but, even with the dominance of the Audis at Le Mans at the moment, the American race does seem to pale even more now in comparison. (IMO!).
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:19 (Ref:190214)   #3
Es Nes
Veteran

Es Nes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
itll ether be the ascari|bmw or lola|porsche. ive cofedence in the dyson ford after two failures. the 4l na engines will kill themselves from the revs. the 333sp and any judd powered car. what sort of endrunace testing has the bmw power plant under gone? that could be its down fall. champion should have won last year, but, i remember hearing that they tried to race on an engine that already had a decent amount of miles on it they took an unneascary risk and paid for it.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 01:50 (Ref:190225)   #4
choked_wasp
Racer

choked_wasp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Es Nes
the 4l na engines will kill themselves from the revs. the 333sp and any judd powered car.
The Judd did perfectlly fine last year, so i think that the doran/dallara/judd combination is the winning team this year, but I agree that the champion team will be right there to the finish.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 03:14 (Ref:190245)   #5
FastJoel31
Veteran

United States
Near Watkins Glen
FastJoel31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it was Dave Maraj that said " We have some unfinished business at Daytona." My money's on the Champion Lola/Porsche.

Last edited by FastJoel31; 28 Dec 2001 at 03:14.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 05:05 (Ref:190267)   #6
Es Nes
Veteran

now that i think about it, no ... grandam uses sports racers, not prototypes ... a prototype wont when until ALMS takes daytona 24 hours ... sooner the better ...
Old 28 Dec 2001, 09:26 (Ref:190282)   #7
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which would mean another victory for a Porsche powered car. That would be good, I am a Porsche fan. Too bad they don't have the "whole" car.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 10:03 (Ref:190286)   #8
Es Nes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by choked_wasp

The Judd did perfectlly fine last year, so i think that the doran/dallara/judd combination is the winning team this year, but I agree that the champion team will be right there to the finish.
then why did it bannana joes car suddenly just dissapear? then the 333sp and the dyson R & S. went out in that order. the lola/porsche died and the c5r wins it. caddy raced there too didnt they? no, that was 00. *very tired but cant sleep*
Old 28 Dec 2001, 10:16 (Ref:190293)   #9
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still don't see a Judd-powered car winning a 24hr race. The Champion Lola does look like a very good package this year.
Old 28 Dec 2001, 17:27 (Ref:190482)   #10
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Cadillac going? They made a huge step forward for the petite and that car would probably be good enough to winn if they come.

I also don't understand why no one is using the old Aurora engine. there was rumor that R&S were going to field their '96 winning car complete with Aurora engine, but it never materalized. The rules seen to favor the 4 litre engine right now, so why no Aurora?

My prediction? Whatever 911 that claudia hurtgen is in. Go GT-3!
Old 28 Dec 2001, 18:03 (Ref:190500)   #11
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
cybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcybersdorf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Austin
Is Cadillac going?
No - they are working on a new car. The old R&S chassis is history.

Quote:
I also don't understand why no one is using the old Aurora engine. there was rumor that R&S were going to field their '96 winning car complete with Aurora engine, but it never materalized. The rules seen to favor the 4 litre engine right now, so why no Aurora?
I don't think you can compare the Aurora to the current 4l engines á la Judd or Mugen - those are higher-revving, thoroughbred racing engines whereas the Aurora is a production based unit. It wouldn't be able to keep up with them, or the 6l stockers.

Quote:
My prediction? Whatever 911 that claudia hurtgen is in. Go GT-3!
She's great, isn't she. I still think she would have gone all the way to F1 or Indy had it not been for that F3 accident.
Old 29 Dec 2001, 06:53 (Ref:190822)   #12
choked_wasp
Racer

choked_wasp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Es Nes
[B} then why did it bannana joes car suddenly just dissapear? [/B]
They dissapeared when the clutch dissapeared, but they still finsished the race.
Old 29 Dec 2001, 09:01 (Ref:190834)   #13
Es Nes
Veteran

so the engine got a break ... i doubt it would have survived had it stayed out the entire race
Old 31 Dec 2001, 11:39 (Ref:191877)   #14
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
The Vipers and Corvettes have done a tremendous job over the last two years and I don't want to take anything away from them, but I would be extremely disappointed to see a GT 911 win the Daytona 24 Hours. As you say H16, I think the organisers would be pretty embarrassed. In the past, Daytona was able to put up a fair argument to be accorded similar status to the Le Mans 24 Hours, but, even with the dominance of the Audis at Le Mans at the moment, the American race does seem to pale even more now in comparison. (IMO!).
Daytona has always been a test for Le Mans, so consequently non-prototypes wins should be much more common there. I don't view GTS wins there as an embarrassment or black eye for the race for this reason.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 14:43 (Ref:191956)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Fair do's as an IMO, Joe, but what would you think the race organisers would prefer, prototype or GTS winner? Or perhaps it doesn't it matter to them?

I guess the real embarrassment, if any, should be for the prototype teams who fail to make their cars last for 24 hours.
Old 31 Dec 2001, 15:22 (Ref:191980)   #16
cybersdorf
Veteran

Austria
Vienna, Austria
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Fan
Daytona has always been a test for Le Mans...
This has changed in recent year, though (sadly).