Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 28 Feb 2012, 15:17 (Ref:3032473)   #51
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Within my budget I have gone for a Canon 70-300IS from Amazon at £321.00, they quote the full resale price should be £649.00 this is to go with my Canon EOS550D with an 18-135 mm lens, just got to work out how to use it now, thanks guys...........

Bladders.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 18:23 (Ref:3032562)   #52
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This was taken with the 100-400

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4098191...57626117446049
Old 11 Mar 2012, 19:29 (Ref:3038441)   #53
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Moving on, this set was also taken using the 100-400. As a rank amatuer I'm quite pleased. I think it is stretched at maximum range, which can be seen from the original sized images. But drag it back a little and it is a pretty good compromise.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4098191...7629198051692/
Old 20 Apr 2012, 18:46 (Ref:3062753)   #54
autoidiodyssey
Rookie

United States
Maryland
autoidiodyssey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the Sigma 150-500 has been mentioned yet. In the US it runs around $500 less than the Canon 100-400. It is heavy, and not the fastest lens in the world at f5-6.3. But I love mine. I upgraded from a 55-250 with the idea that I would keep the 55-250 as a mid range zoom. After one race I had to upgrade my mid range glass, the 150-500 was so good it put my 55-250 to shame. I think it is the cheapest way to get to 500mm and 500mm is addictive.

Here are a couple examples.

At 500mm

GTA Leads The Way by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr

At 340mm

Jaguar vs. Triumph by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr

At 150mm

Flying Brick by autoidiodyssey, on Flickr
Old 24 Apr 2012, 15:37 (Ref:3064975)   #55
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
That first shot looks like Mr. Allenby-Byrne, AKA Zeffarelly on here? Taken in the UK at all???
Old 24 Apr 2012, 16:32 (Ref:3065005)   #56
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
It is but I would hazard a guess at Combe.
Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:09 (Ref:3065048)   #57
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or possibly the Goodwood Revival? I think both cars with the same numbers were there?
Old 24 Apr 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3065065)   #58
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I was thinking Goodwood and you may be correct. Just that I don't recall those type of barriers at the venue.
Old 25 Apr 2012, 00:31 (Ref:3065221)   #59
autoidiodyssey
Rookie

United States
Maryland
autoidiodyssey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That first shot is from the Revival last year. Somewhere around Fordwater I think. The black barrier is what lines the berm, the fence is just out of frame. You can just make out a bit of the white sponsor banner in the top right corner.
Old 27 Apr 2012, 19:24 (Ref:3066305)   #60
elansprint72
Rookie

elansprint72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoidiodyssey View Post
I don't think the Sigma 150-500 has been mentioned yet. In the US it runs around $500 less than the Canon 100-400. It is heavy, and not the fastest lens in the world at f5-6.3. But I love mine. I upgraded from a 55-250 with the idea that I would keep the 55-250 as a mid range zoom. After one race I had to upgrade my mid range glass, the 150-500 was so good it put my 55-250 to shame. I think it is the cheapest way to get to 500mm and 500mm is addictive.
As a Nikon man I can't advise on Canon lenses but I'm also using a Sigma (BIGma) 150-500 and am very pleased with it. Costs about £750ish from UK suppliers (stay away from Simply Electronics, who are always cheapest but don't deliver... anything! Check their feedback).

The zoom on the Sigma rotates in the opposite direction to my Nikons, which took one race meeting to adjust to- having a picture editor breathing down your neck makes for fast learning!

For an amateur, with all the associated problems of limited clear view-points and intrusive safety fences, etc. I suppose that one really has to able to justify mega expenditure on equipment. I believe it is about the bloke behind the lens, rather than the tools he uses.

There are an increasing number of lenses which can be used for multi-tasking these days, I've got a 28-300, which would not normally be my weapon of choice for racing shots but it does the job perfectly well. It, along with an 18-35 zoom, would be entire kit for a holiday, or city-centre shoot, for example.

Photos at:
www.petetaylor.org.uk
Old 13 May 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3073841)   #61
jock3
Rookie

jock3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use 2 bodies, a gripped 7d and a 1d when shooting @ Knockhill, the 2 lenses I usually use are the 100-400 L & on the other body Sigma 150-500, the latter typically for down the straight shots with the extra reach needed.
Results can be found http://knockhillimages.smugmug.com/ if you wish to look
Old 18 May 2012, 13:04 (Ref:3076101)   #62
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
As I said earlier, nothing wrong with a 75-300 stopped down.

For the diffence in money, when you're specatator side, it's hard to justify spending more...
The kids are both running 80-200 f2.8 Nikkors. Those are HEAVY!
Old 3 Oct 2012, 13:56 (Ref:3145735)   #63
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Just resurrecting this thread. I took these (the track pics) at the Bahrain WEC, with my 100-400 lens. Because I flew with hand baggage I didn't take my monopod so the shutter speed was relatively high. However I quite like the results.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4098191...7631658417227/
Old 3 Oct 2012, 17:02 (Ref:3145806)   #64
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Just resurrecting this thread. I took these (the track pics) at the Bahrain WEC, with my 100-400 lens. Because I flew with hand baggage I didn't take my monopod so the shutter speed was relatively high. However I quite like the results.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/4098191...7631658417227/
Nice shots Peter.

I'm quite surprised to see the GoPros stuck on the cars at various places. For some reason I would have expected a more sophisticated positioning and mounting method. Presumably any aero effect is a not issue. On of the shots seems to show 2 camera devices mounted between the air intakes just in the front of the fin. Presumably it's an area with no useful airflow that can be compromised. Or is the other way around - a good place to install something that disturbes the air flow?

Actually being able to spot that and raise the discussion point probably says a lot about the quality and versatility of the 100-400 lens.

Last edited by grantp; 3 Oct 2012 at 17:02. Reason: Type
Old 5 Oct 2012, 10:31 (Ref:3146530)   #65
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Thanks for that Grant. As we spoke at Oulton, the focal range is a bit limited, however by way of expansion on your point re the quality, the attached pic shows where I was standing to take the shots on the straight. Viewing is somewhat restricted at this and most circuits in the Middle East due to the need for shade.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2404 copy.jpg