Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 2 Nov 2011, 20:53 (Ref:2980807)   #76
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I bet Bianchi won't......

Ericsson was quite unlucky this year I thought, his progress in the wet races was great and some of his climbs up through the field were classic racer stuff.

I don't believe he's a cert by any means but he is bound to be strong.

As for returning drivers, how many of them would be considered great?
Old 3 Nov 2011, 11:27 (Ref:2981030)   #77
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by p-matt View Post
Agreed. If Bianchi returns he will be champion.
Not so sure about that. I think Gutierrez will have the full backing, and despite a challenge from Bottas, will win it. I think ART are still the team to beat.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 11:42 (Ref:2981038)   #78
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, i think bianchi has a fatal flaw, which makes him a perfect candidate for a f1 drive for ferrari. he was under pressure this/last year (2011) and spent the best part of it having accidents and not being very quick. hopefully they can mind-manage him out of it or it'd be a terrible waste of talent.
Old 3 Nov 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2981285)   #79
cleanup
Rookie

England
cleanup should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Not so sure about that. I think Gutierrez will have the full backing, and despite a challenge from Bottas, will win it. I think ART are still the team to beat.
Gutierrez will be strong but by experience only, sure he will be kept honest by quite a few drivers, not so sure he is champion material in GP2. I think your right about Bottas,for sure a challenger but not heard any news of what team yet?
Old 9 Nov 2011, 10:36 (Ref:2983500)   #80
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Not necessarily. Bottas can move up to embrace Williams F1
Old 12 Nov 2011, 15:18 (Ref:2984885)   #81
MrShades
Rookie

MrShades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you think of Pal Varhaug?

As a Norwegian it is fun to see a Norwegian in GP2 but i can not say that i think he has a big future in GP2 and on the way to F1
What do my fellow members thiink?

But for Bottas i think he will have a future in GP2 and off on to F1
Old 12 Nov 2011, 22:16 (Ref:2985064)   #82
Daisy
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Daisy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with you. Can't say Varhaug was very impressive this year. Of course you can't compare him to Grosjean (much more experience), but I expected more from him. Did he score any point actually?
Old 13 Nov 2011, 11:20 (Ref:2985503)   #83
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
my knowing sod-all about his abilities and career opinion that he needed a year of f3 of some sort in there, or another year of gp3 or a year of fr3.5. i don't think you can go into gp2 with a single year of gp3 and a middling year in f.master and expect to be up to speed, especially when you're only 20 (bless).

then again, after a quiet year in gp2 what do you do to restore your reputation?
Old 13 Nov 2011, 12:39 (Ref:2985526)   #84
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Throw more money to do a couple additional GP2 seasons? It worked for some mediocre South American GP2 drivers (and certainly did a few teams happy along the way)...
Old 13 Nov 2011, 16:24 (Ref:2985625)   #85
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes he may as well carry on?

I thought he showed reasonably well in a few rounds this year.

Wasn't there one when he was in decent position before retiring for some reason or other?

Haven't had a half decent Norweigan driver since, er....?
Old 13 Nov 2011, 21:31 (Ref:2985846)   #86
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Haven't had a half decent Norweigan driver since, er....?
There's one coming in a few years time!
Dennis Olsen
Old 15 Nov 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2986883)   #87
cleanup
Rookie

England
Quote:
Hmmm, I'm a bit underwhelmed by the ART line-up. Nothing wrong with Gutierrez or Calado, but they aren't the true stars that ART generally tend to field. I can't see them win either championship next year.
Maybe you may want to change your opinion!
Old 15 Nov 2011, 20:37 (Ref:2986900)   #88
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
Maybe you may want to change your opinion!
What, because James won a reverse-grid sprint race from pole?

As I said he's good, but is he championship winning good? I don't quite think so yet.
Old 15 Nov 2011, 21:25 (Ref:2986936)   #89
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Gutierrez v Ericsson next year I think.

Bianchi will be threre or thereabouts if he returns and Bird....

People like Calado must aim for a couple of wins in their first full season, but can't expect a title tilt surely?
Old 16 Nov 2011, 19:31 (Ref:2987379)   #90
Go_For_Pole
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Go_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGo_For_Pole should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Depends if RSF is willing to fund him for two seasons. They weren't in Turvey's case
Old 16 Nov 2011, 19:49 (Ref:2987389)   #91
cleanup
Rookie

England
Quote:

As I said he's good, but is he championship winning good? I don't quite think so yet.
Yes of course, how stupid of me. Winning a GP2 race is really easy, especially with minimal testing and on a track you know nothing about. I guess lewis and Hulkenberg were also stupid to think they had a chance of winning in their first year. I wager you have no actual real racing experience. back to play station for you.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 20:06 (Ref:2987395)   #92
cleanup
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Gutierrez v Ericsson next year I think.

Bianchi will be threre or thereabouts if he returns and Bird....

People like Calado must aim for a couple of wins in their first full season, but can't expect a title tilt surely?
I dont understand this culture of suggesting new drivers to the series should expect not to win. Yes, chances are they won`t but this is the problem with racing at the moment. Shame we cant see Vergne, Bottas or Wickens in GP2, rookies yes. expect not to win and career over, same for Calado. I wish him and every rookie in GP2 the very best, its refreshing to see some new talent coming through. Gutierrez will probably win.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2987401)   #93
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanup View Post
Yes of course, how stupid of me. Winning a GP2 race is really easy, especially with minimal testing and on a track you know nothing about. I guess lewis and Hulkenberg were also stupid to think they had a chance of winning in their first year. I wager you have no actual real racing experience. back to play station for you.
Might want to check that attitude, or people will think you're actually trying to insult them. Ever heard of middle ground, or are you a karting dad? There's a lot of talented race car drivers who could have done the same. Using one race for arguing a driver's quality and future can become unviable really fast.

And since you're oh so superior to the PlayStation people, what actual real racing experience do you have? And you claim only people with this experience are able to express an informed opinion?
Old 16 Nov 2011, 20:42 (Ref:2987406)   #94
cleanup
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Might want to check that attitude, or people will think you're actually trying to insult them. Ever heard of middle ground, or are you a karting dad? There's a lot of talented race car drivers who could have done the same. Using one race for arguing a driver's quality and future can become unviable really fast.

And since you're oh so superior to the PlayStation people, what actual real racing experience do you have? And you claim only people with this experience are able to express an informed opinion?
Have no wish to insult anyone and for sure, I think your comment about karting dads is in itself very inappropriate, where would racing be without them. No I am not. My point was simple, for a rookie to win a GP2 race at the very first race event no matter what nationality is impressive. Anyone with true racing knowledge will understand this. I applaud any rookie when they win their first race and its a long time in GP2 since that has happened.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 21:05 (Ref:2987418)   #95
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Mmmm, a sour response....

Anyway here are just a few points of interest;
  1. In the Abu Dhabi GP2 predictions thread 6 out of the 7 predictors had Calado down to score between 0 - 3 points for the whole weekend. P-matt, you had him down to score zero points (ie not in top 8 in race 1 or in top 6 for race 2). 7 points, 1 race win and 15,000 euros later and he has clearly proved to be a much better driver than you think he is.
  2. "Championship winning potential" - Regarding Calado he held off the pressure from Ericsson in a manor and style that could easily be compared to any 2nd or 3rd year driver. He drove with the marurity of a pro. He may just have a very short "rookie" phase and therefore I would be disinclined to write off his championship hopes just yet.
  3. In the sprint race the ART boys both clocked their fastest laps on lap 17. The latest of all the drivers in the top 10. The key factor in sprint races is tyre degradation and "ART team" seem to have that box ticked.
  4. Calado was "vice champion" in GP3 behind Bottas and previously BF3 behind Vergne. Vergne is currently clocking good times in Red Bull F1 car and Bottas is matching Maldonado in the Williams. These are two cracking drivers.
Calado is definitely champion material.

Last edited by boyndie; 16 Nov 2011 at 21:29.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2987427)   #96
boyndie
Rookie

Scotland
Scottish Highlands
boyndie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Cleanup, Boyndie's got a playstation too (well its a 3 actually)...
Old 16 Nov 2011, 23:03 (Ref:2987450)   #97
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm, quite an extreme reaction for expressing a view that Calado won't win the championship this year. To be honest, he didn't impress me that much in BF3 - everyone was badly beaten by Vergne that year. He did impress me in a competitive GP3 field last year, but how much of that was to do with the team and how much the driver is difficult to say.

As I said, yes, he did well to win the sprint race on his first attempt. As did Michael Ammermuller, Luca Filippi, Alvaro Parente, Edoardo Mortara, Charles Pic and Fabio Leimer. Did anyone have any of these drivers pegged as champions in their first year?

The other thing to consider is that the GP2 Final field has been the weakest for a GP2 race since the 2010 Asia Series. There were a lot of strong and experienced drivers that were missing that will probably be on the grid for the Main Series.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 23:07 (Ref:2987451)   #98
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Anyone know what Davide Rigon might be up to for 2012?
That guy has some awful luck, it'd be a shame if he didn't come back.
Old 16 Nov 2011, 23:10 (Ref:2987452)   #99
formula_fan
Racer

formula_fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Calado could easily have had a very different weekend though had he finished in 9th and not 8th in the feature race, he may well have not scored a point. Not taking away from the fact he drove very well in the sprint race to win under pressure, it was a great drive.

I think of the rookies Dillman has maybe been more impressive though, constantly had the best pace of the rookies and I think he could have won the sprint race as well had he not done as well in race 1 and started from pole.
Old 17 Nov 2011, 07:16 (Ref:2987561)   #100
cleanup
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula_fan View Post
Calado could easily have had a very different weekend though had he finished in 9th and not 8th in the feature race, he may well have not scored a point. Not taking away from the fact he drove very well in the sprint race to win under pressure, it was a great drive.

I think of the rookies Dillman has maybe been more impressive though, constantly had the best pace of the rookies and I think he could have won the sprint race as well had he not done as well in race 1 and started from pole.
Agree that Dillman did a great job. Why people have to suggest could of`s, if only`s and possibles that didnt happen baffles me. Calado did get the result and thats the fact and I think it was a credible performance even if some think not. I see a previous comment suggests he didnt impress in F3, what!!! Jean Eric was fantastic that year, all Red Bull drivers in a Carlin car will be. I will just have to resign to the fact that for some unknown reason, some people on this forum find reasons to knock our racing prospects, British culture me thinks, hate those that are successful so talk em down.