Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Nov 2014, 18:03 (Ref:3476987)   #1301
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoraineSweep View Post
PWC and an all GT TUSC would be a different enough product IMO due to the difference between sprint and eduro formats. Im all for an all GTLM and GT3 field. I loved watching the VIR race as the GTLM battle was the focal point of the event. I remember thinking to myself, "I don't need prototypes anymore" after watching that race.

If we could have P1 at a high level, then I would obviously want protos, but just can't get very excited about the P2 cars as the top level of the series.
Realistically I hope that IMSA will schedule more all GT races in 2016. That should be plausible with GT3 coming in. I think the car count there will match or even exceed 2014 GTD.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 18:39 (Ref:3476994)   #1302
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Swinger View Post
If Porsche, Audi, Nissan, Toyota, Rebellion and Lotus committed to running two P1s each for the entire TUSC season, but it was managed under the current IMSA doctrine, it would suck. Every car would have to submit its drivetrain to the Daytona brain trust and then each would be BoP'ed to make identical max horsepower, torque and torque curves. Each car would have to be BoP'ed in the wind tunnel to make sure they have the same downforce. There would be no in-season changes allowed to aero. Each car would be on Continentals designed for DPs. If this "miracle" happened next year, add in additional BoP to make sure DPs are still able to dominate, oops I meant "compete" for the overall win. And don't forget the FCY wave arounds to make sure no one goes a lap down.
Spirit of Daytona "Corvette DP" passing factory 8MJ hybrid Toyota TS040 on the speedway banking would be the greatest moment in the history of sitcom television.

Then Ganassi Riley-Ford-Ecoboost, after staying in the pits for an hour would come from 17 laps back to the lead lap during the final competition caution before the "dash for the flag", ultimately crashing into the side of all-race-led R18 e-tron quattro and continuing to the victory lane as the Champions of World.

Last edited by Deleted; 20 Nov 2014 at 18:50.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 20:02 (Ref:3477016)   #1303
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
Realistically I hope that IMSA will schedule more all GT races in 2016. That should be plausible with GT3 coming in. I think the car count there will match or even exceed 2014 GTD.
I can see the appeal of GT only when the prototype field we are stuck with is so poor. However I would rather not see it become a GT only series. After all, isn't the fact that this is multi-class racing the appeal for most of us? It is for me.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 20:22 (Ref:3477019)   #1304
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
International Space Station
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since the subject of AMA and NASCAR (mis)management came up, here's an article from 2009. Before you read it, think back to Daytona and Sebring this year. This management of this race embodies the "best" of Daytona and Sebring, from the actual race to the press conference by the race official. If you have the time, it's interesting to read the comments. To quote the immortal Yogi Berra, "it's deja vu all over again".

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/557/39...ts-Group-.aspx
Old 20 Nov 2014, 20:23 (Ref:3477021)   #1305
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
Dodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDodge_Swinger should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Spirit of Daytona "Corvette DP" passing factory 8MJ hybrid Toyota TS040 on the speedway banking would be the greatest moment in the history of sitcom television.

Then Ganassi Riley-Ford-Ecoboost, after staying in the pits for an hour would come from 17 laps back to the lead lap during the final competition caution before the "dash for the flag", ultimately crashing into the side of all-race-led R18 e-tron quattro and continuing to the victory lane as the Champions of World.

Awesome!
Old 20 Nov 2014, 20:33 (Ref:3477023)   #1306
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
I can see the appeal of GT only when the prototype field we are stuck with is so poor. However I would rather not see it become a GT only series. After all, isn't the fact that this is multi-class racing the appeal for most of us? It is for me.
Yeah but nascar thinks it is to confusing.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 20:46 (Ref:3477029)   #1307
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But it is confusing to the casual fan.

I would like it if there were more GT only races, bet their sponsors would love it too. Because we all know the protos always hog the TV limelight.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 21:14 (Ref:3477036)   #1308
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Of course there is a place for multi class racing particuarly the endros. But for 2016 I think to go along with VIR you can make CTMP and Laguna Seca split between all GT and an all Prototype race. Lime Rock can be an all GT3 race.

There are six all class races this year. The 4 enduros plus the large tracks at COTA and Road america that is fine I guess. But for the rest. As many all GT's as possible please.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 22:50 (Ref:3477072)   #1309
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post

I would like it if there were more GT only races, bet their sponsors would love it too. Because we all know the protos always hog the TV limelight.
What casual fan? There is no such thing in this niche sport. I, for one, do not like split races. A major appeal of sportscar racing is the way the different classes interact, and that there's always action somewhere. And honestly, with what, maybe 14 GTE/D cars total so far, is there really a need for split class races?
Old 20 Nov 2014, 23:49 (Ref:3477092)   #1310
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
I'm a fan of multi-class racing, too. However, I'd rather see TUSC go to all GT because of the on-going BoP mess in the Proto class. I would love to be convinced that the TUSC Proto class results were due to something other than favorable BoP for the week, but I haven't seen anything that does so. I don't want to see P2s or DPs dominate. What I would like to see is a Proto class that was designed to the same set of rules and limit BoP to once or twice a year, if even then. You can set BoP where a 125cc shifter kart beats a current F1 car, but it doesn't mean the kart is a superior vehicle. De-claw and de-fang a grizzly bear, then give it a heavy dose of sedatives, and a poodle could beat it in a fight.
Old 20 Nov 2014, 23:59 (Ref:3477096)   #1311
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Humoring you because that's the best left about TUSC.

It's only confusing if your prototypes look like malformed GTs. Look at P1s or P2s passing GTs, and then they're off into the distance. It's obvious multiple classes are at work here. How used to unfairness do you have to be to even consider a P1 (or P2) and a GT race in the same class??

GT-only races. Yeah how about you explain to the casual fan the difference between GTLM and GTD and how you know (number-plate-color aside) which is which when they flash across the screen.

Next attempt?
Old 21 Nov 2014, 03:17 (Ref:3477150)   #1312
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Rcz, the ACO lets GT3s run in the ELMS and AsLMS. There isn't enough grid space to be able to potentially have a reasonable number of LMP1s, LMP2s, GTEs, AND GT3s all out there at once in the WEC. Even at Le Mans, there would barely be space for double-digit GTE and GT3 grids.

If anything, the similarities between cars are more pronounced between the GT2 and GT3 cars, because of the models that run in both, and the fact that those models make up a majority of both classes: the Ferrari 458 and Porsche 911. However, if you spend much of any time looking, it's plain to see how much more aggressive-looking the GTLM cars are compared to the GTDs.

If the "casual fan" is that easily confused, I'm not convinced that they're even capable of handling two classes at a time, and that's the fewest they'll get, because no one class has enough numbers to have a decent grid on its own. Besides, you're not going to attract many "casual fans" if the core audience, not to mention a number of the participants, is thoroughly displeased, and therefore, creating a less-than-inviting atmosphere around the series.

You can't reasonably expect that the ALMS and GA managements could have seen the instant rise of BES in 2011 coming, back in the 2008/09 off-season. Without the Blancpain series doing what it did, practically overnight, I don't see the whole GT3 explosion happening as it did. Go in too soon, and you're shouted down for jumping the gun, but too late, and you're slammed for missing the boat. Basically, the series' principals needed to be clairvoyant enough to see to it that the merger took place in time for either the 2011 or 2012 season.

You also have to keep in mind just how many major GT3 models, from several manufacturers, started coming in 2010, and especially 2011. These have continued to come since then. That development couldn't have been foreseen multiple years in advance.

2010:
BMW Z4 GT3
Reiter-Lamborghini Gallardo LP-560 GT3
Porsche 911 GT3 R

2011:
Reiter-Lamborghini Gallardo LP-600+
McLaren MP4-12C GT3
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3
Ferrari 458 GT3

2012:
Audi R8 LMS Ultra
Aston Martin V12 Vantage GT3

2013:
Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3
Reiter-Lamborghini Gallardo GT3 FL2
Porsche 911 GT3 R

2014:
Dodge Viper GT3-R
Bentley Continental GT3

2015:
Cadillac ATS-V.R
McLaren 650S GT3
Old 21 Nov 2014, 03:17 (Ref:3477151)   #1313
Rcz
Veteran

United States
It is a shame that the powers to be couldn't agree to the GTE/GT3 convergence.
Telling some one the difference between a GT3 Viper and a GTE Viper can be a bit of a pain.

Some people would rather just watch GTE if they could, it where the factory are, America has, like I said before, perfer production racing cars. GTE was the most popular class in ALMS.

As for protos, how can you tell someone the difference between a P2 car and a P3 car?
Especially if TUSC adopts the P3 class in the future.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 04:32 (Ref:3477163)   #1314
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The LMP2/3 bit is a red herring, as there is no possibility of it coming to pass for at least two years, if at all. It needlessly distracts from the problems at hand. Leave it in the dust bin.

I don't think the GT/Prototype preference balance is all that different between the US and Europe. Plenty of Europeans like(d) SuperTouring and the '90s GT1s. Conversely, I can't think of a specific GT class that, on the whole, captured the imagination of American fans quite like Can-Am, or GTP, the top 1999-2001 LMP900s, or the 2006-08 LMP1/2 battles.

Truly exciting cars, competently presented, will be successful. So-so machinery, presented less than expertly, has no chance of gaining great notoriety, or earning the passionate following of fans.

The idea of GT convergence had flaws, and one of the greatest was the fact that, you really want the factories to have their own space. It would not be good to force them upon the privateers, however capable they may be. Making them run together in one class, as the only option, would do just that.

And, yes, the factory teams have that greater following, again, regardless of how good the crop of privateers is. Also, I just find the GTEs more visually appealing. The Ferrari 458 GT3 looks particularly flat and slab-sided compared to its GT2 counterpart. It's kind of like how the Doran Ford GT2s looked like they had been left in the press too long, in relation to their Matech Ford GT1 cousins.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 04:54 (Ref:3477167)   #1315
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some people would rather just watch GTE if they could, it where the factory are, America has, like I said before, perfer production racing cars. GTE was the most popular class in ALMS.
Until some teams have realized that maintaining a GTE/GT3 racecar is a pain, so they decided to make it a silhouette GT car in order to reduce costs and get ahead of the competition. I won't be surprised with that!

Anyways, reading this thread about next year's TUSC season gives me a headache with all the gloom and doom in regards to management, as well as putting (and failing) TUSC towards casual fans.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 06:05 (Ref:3477174)   #1316
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Since the subject of AMA and NASCAR (mis)management came up, here's an article from 2009. Before you read it, think back to Daytona and Sebring this year. This management of this race embodies the "best" of Daytona and Sebring, from the actual race to the press conference by the race official. If you have the time, it's interesting to read the comments. To quote the immortal Yogi Berra, "it's deja vu all over again".

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/557/39...ts-Group-.aspx
OH MY..........

I remember that,dear god I had no idea it was owned by NASCAR.explains everything now.jeezsus!
Old 21 Nov 2014, 14:42 (Ref:3477294)   #1317
Dodge_Swinger
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
OH MY..........

I remember that,dear god I had no idea it was owned by NASCAR.explains everything now.jeezsus!
The comments after the article contain the same complaints as the people critical of TUSC:

Dumbing down the technology.

BoP between extremely different machines, i.e. trying to shoe-horn 1200cc American V-Twin bikes into a formerly 600cc class.

Alienating long time factory teams like Honda.

Adding NASCAR procedures like a pace car (!) at a bike race.

Screwing up race control, then trying to figure out which riders to punish.

Promoting personalities over teams.

It's the same thought process going on in TUSC. If it works for NASCAR, it has to work everywhere else. Like I said earlier, if Daytona's management of bike racing is anything to go by, we have about 7 years of "one chance to get it right" to deal with.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 15:42 (Ref:3477301)   #1318
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Adding NASCAR procedures like a pace car (!) at a bike race.
Well it seems like the British (and maybe?) World Superbikes are using an SC - in the BSB at least since 2010. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDhY...etailpage#t=29
Old 21 Nov 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3477340)   #1319
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Awesome!
"Welcome back to Daytona International Speedway for the Rolex 24 at Daytona presented by Continental Tire and powered by Sunoco, the proud partner of NASCAR. Now here is the Chevrolet Corvette of Spirit of Daytona on the speedway banking passing the Toyota for 2nd place just a seconds ago while you were on break. What a sight"
"Yes Bob. The team, just as all other DP squads have done superb development advancements over the winter. I spoke to Wayne Taylor yesterday morning and you can't believe how many hours they've been putting in the garage to get their Corvette ahead of these hybrid P1 cars. Same with the Ford Ecoboosts. It's quite an undertaking. And generally speaking, IMSA has also done really good job at balancing these extremely different methods to go racing."
"For those who don't know, IMSA is the organizing body of the Tudor United SportsCar Championship. Without them, we wouldn't have such close racing as this."
"Indeed Bob, you have the Toyota, Audi, Porsche and Nissan going head to head with Corvette and Ford, with couple of Honda & Ligier P2 cars in the mix as well. The RPMs are dead even! You've also got to hand it to Continental Tire, they've designed a great tire that fits every single category on track perfectly. It really is a fair playground for everyone now, just as we lo---- OOOOH BIG CRASH!"
"Oh my. It appears to be the number #99 PC car that's spun to collide with the #06 PC. There comes to caution for 22nd time in this race."
"Oh boy this is gonna pack the field even tighter. Can you believe that after 17 hours all but two Prototypes are still in the lead lap, while the Ganassi cars are quickly gaining laps back behind them."
"The prospects of grandstand finish sure are here. We'll be back after these messages"

Last edited by Deleted; 21 Nov 2014 at 18:25.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3477378)   #1320
Gulf
Racer

Gulf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
"Welcome back to Daytona International Speedway for the Rolex 24 at Daytona presented by Continental Tire and powered by Sunoco, the proud partner of NASCAR. Now here is the Chevrolet Corvette of Spirit of Daytona on the speedway banking passing the Toyota for 2nd place just a seconds ago while you were on break. What a sight"
"Yes Bob. The team, just as all other DP squads have done superb development advancements over the winter. I spoke to Wayne Taylor yesterday morning and you can't believe how many hours they've been putting in the garage to get their Corvette ahead of these hybrid P1 cars. Same with the Ford Ecoboosts. It's quite an undertaking. And generally speaking, IMSA has also done really good job at balancing these extremely different methods to go racing."
"For those who don't know, IMSA is the organizing body of the Tudor United SportsCar Championship. Without them, we wouldn't have such close racing as this."
"Indeed Bob, you have the Toyota, Audi, Porsche and Nissan going head to head with Corvette and Ford, with couple of Honda & Ligier P2 cars in the mix as well. The RPMs are dead even! You've also got to hand it to Continental Tire, they've designed a great tire that fits every single category on track perfectly. It really is a fair playground for everyone now, just as we lo---- OOOOH BIG CRASH!"
"Oh my. It appears to be the number #99 PC car that's spun to collide with the #06 PC. There comes to caution for 22nd time in this race."
"Oh boy this is gonna pack the field even tighter. Can you believe that after 17 hours all but two Prototypes are still in the lead lap, while the Ganassi cars are quickly gaining laps back behind them."
"The prospects of grandstand finish sure are here. We'll be back after these messages"
It should of been a "debris" caution.
Old 21 Nov 2014, 21:01 (Ref:3477380)   #1321
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf View Post
It should of been a "debris" caution.
No they'll only really start throwing fake coke can debris / phantom cautions towards the end of the race, prior to that you get usual LMPCs ramming into everything that moves (or doesn't) etc
Old 21 Nov 2014, 22:31 (Ref:3477408)   #1322
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I don't remember there be any phantom cautions, this season.

The problem is the caution when they do happen, are too damn long!

The ALMS seem to had overly long caution, so apparently they adopted it from that side.

For me, that is the worst aspect of TUSC. So they need to fix this now.

Adopted code 60 or whatever, I don't know the real solution, but they need to fix it now!
Old 21 Nov 2014, 22:50 (Ref:3477411)   #1323
jasonjessica09
Veteran

Quote:
I don't remember there be any phantom cautions, this season.

The problem is the caution when they do happen, are too damn long!

The ALMS seem to had overly long caution, so apparently they adopted it from that side.

For me, that is the worst aspect of TUSC. So they need to fix this now.

Adopted code 60 or whatever, I don't know the real solution, but they need to fix it now!
Ha! I can name three races right off the bat that had phantom yellows: Daytona, Sebring, VIR
Old 21 Nov 2014, 23:08 (Ref:3477416)   #1324
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
The ALMS cautions did get longer in those last few seasons, but not this long. They were trying to keep the overall leader from screwing up battles in the lower classes.

Now, a thought occurs to me that could help substantially. First off, no one class should have its own dedicated lap on which to pit. Have the P/PC cars pit together, and the GTLM/GTD cars pit together. This, then only requires two laps. Also, I think you can eliminate the need for wave-by's by modifying this procedure. Have ALL the cars in the appropriate classes pass down pit road on their designated pit lap. Those that don't choose to pit continue on down and stop somewhere past the pit boxes, until the pace car queue has passed, and then they rejoin. In fact, if the pace car queue is going enough faster than the pit lane speed limit, those who are just passing through may not need to stop in pit-out at all before rejoining.

The cars that did not make a stop end up ahead of those in their class that did. Wave-by's go bye-bye. And there is no need whatsoever for any cars to do any great amount of catching up to a queue, except for when the yellow is first thrown and the pace car is deployed. Unless there is an issue that interferes with the pit-in or pit-out, or clean-up takes longer, this procedure should only take three yellow laps total.

Finally, if the track crews can clean up an incident more quickly in the closing stages, to get the race back to green for the finish, they damn well ought to be able to do it at that greater efficiency at any point during the race. I don't advocate hurrying up for the sake of hurrying up, because we want to avoid mistakes. However, there should be no substantial discrepancy between how long it takes to clear similar sorts of incidents, regardless of when during the race said incidents occur.

Last edited by Purist; 21 Nov 2014 at 23:18.
Old 22 Nov 2014, 00:45 (Ref:3477443)   #1325
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No they'll only really start throwing fake coke can debris / phantom cautions towards the end of the race, prior to that you get usual LMPCs ramming into everything that moves (or doesn't) etc
I prefer having officials throwing green shells and banana peels...