Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 11 Sep 2014, 16:41 (Ref:3452197)   #101
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That Austin post is very interesting. At least he's not said it in the heat of the moment, as that's why he has some good arguments. Obviously he'd want to remain as competitive as possible but I can't help but feel that WSR are being penalised for basically outperforming the works teams on every level. Because they've upset the big boys (okay, WSR may be one of the big boys, but don't have the factory support that 888 and TD have) they're getting a lot of needless stick.

Turks has always been a world class touring car driver and the BMW is in it's prime, MG's car has reached the end of development, Honda have an estate, AJ's car is as old as the MG and doesn't have the factory support, and the rest aren't title contenders. Collard has made the most of AJ and Neal having some woeful weekends to be in the top 5, whilst Tordoff has only recently shown why he's still in one of the BTCC's top drives. Imo 888 should bring in Ingram next season if they want 2 title contenders.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 17:05 (Ref:3452204)   #102
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
whilst Tordoff has only recently shown why he's still in one of the BTCC's top drives. Imo 888 should bring in Ingram next season if they want 2 title contenders.
888 didn't bring Tordoff in... he went to them with a huge pile of swag courtesy of the family's JCT600 business. Tom Ingram is not exactly in the same league [wealth wise] as the Tordoffs and I don't imagine 888 would be able/willing to subsidize a drive for him.
Old 11 Sep 2014, 17:40 (Ref:3452217)   #103
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much backing does (dare I say) Árón Smith have? Or Adam Morgan (although I doubt Ciceley would want to ditch the Merc project).
Old 11 Sep 2014, 22:01 (Ref:3452289)   #104
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aron Smith already confirmed at BMR Restart in Passat for 2015
Old 12 Sep 2014, 09:29 (Ref:3452501)   #105
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
How much backing does (dare I say) Árón Smith have? Or Adam Morgan (although I doubt Ciceley would want to ditch the Merc project).
Both drivers have significant family backing to underwrite their BTCC campaigns.

Aron Smith's family own and run Smith's Building Supplies in Greenhills, Dublin. They're very wealthy and have spent a significant amount of money on Gavin's and Aron's motor racing down through the years. Having said that, Gavin and Aron are regularly seen serving behind the counter there - my dad's on first name terms with them (!)

Adam Morgan's family run Ciceley Commercials, a very large Mercedes Benz Commercials dealer network in the north of England. They're also very affluent and have contributed significantly to Adam's motor racing.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:43 (Ref:3452866)   #106
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Honda hint that they could use the new Civic R next season. If so, where would the estates go? And would Pirtek follow suit?
Old 13 Sep 2014, 09:47 (Ref:3452867)   #107
PandaKing
Rookie

PandaKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The estate would probably be dismantled to make the new cars.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 10:28 (Ref:3452879)   #108
davyboy
Veteran

From what Rob Austin said it appears that pursuing the Tourer was a mistake - I guess Honda wanted Dynamics to use it, a condition of the funding ?
Old 13 Sep 2014, 10:31 (Ref:3452880)   #109
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
I read somewhere that the Honda UK boys created the whole estate project to keep Honda's interest in the BTCC up, with them entering F1 next season as an engine supplier and all that. So basically it was an internal PR exercise...
Old 13 Sep 2014, 15:39 (Ref:3452927)   #110
porsche962fan
Veteran

I hope that the supposed Plato going at WSR doesn't come at the expense of Turks being kicked out !!!
Old 13 Sep 2014, 15:58 (Ref:3452934)   #111
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Please no Plato at WSR.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 18:05 (Ref:3452959)   #112
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Plato goes to whoever wins the most. That's how he's won a lot. Great driver + best car = win. Which is why he's whinging. He's not got the best car, and he's not the best driver.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 18:46 (Ref:3452978)   #113
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
What would be the point of Honda specifically using the type r model. Doesn't all the road car stuff get thrown out anyway, just leaving the shell?
Old 13 Sep 2014, 18:53 (Ref:3452982)   #114
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The same as what the point was with the Tourer: marketing.
Old 13 Sep 2014, 20:15 (Ref:3452996)   #115
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
The same as what the point was with the Tourer: marketing.
So essentially then they might as well name the eurotech Hondas as type r's as well, since they would likely be much the same?
Old 14 Sep 2014, 06:47 (Ref:3453116)   #116
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yup; a new set of bumpers all around would pretty much do the trick already
Old 14 Sep 2014, 14:31 (Ref:3453258)   #117
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
I hope that the supposed Plato going at WSR doesn't come at the expense of Turks being kicked out !!!
Turks is like a son to Dick Bennetts, can't see that happening!
Old 14 Sep 2014, 15:45 (Ref:3453272)   #118
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Plato goes to whoever wins the most. That's how he's won a lot. Great driver + best car = win. Which is why he's whinging. He's not got the best car, and he's not the best driver.
Really?

MG - new to the championship when he joined so no previous wins in the BTCC with Triple 8.
Chevrolet - new to the championship when he joined so no previous wins in the BTCC with RML.
SEAT - new to the championship when he joined so no previous wins in the BTCC with Northern South.

As for Honda with the Tourer, Flash and Matt have always been there or there abouts, its more about the stunning form of Turks an dWSR, along with the wins being shared by others, and the awful luck the team's been having, rather than the car being fundamentally bad. Andrew Jordan hasn't been a front runner either, but he's not forgotten how to drive, and Eurotech haven't forgotten how to screw a car together.

Its just a very competitive chamipionship in 2014, and each weekend has so many variables that it just takes being a tenth off the pace or missing an apex in qually to have a bad weekend. Thats common sense.
Old 14 Sep 2014, 17:04 (Ref:3453282)   #119
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
Really?

MG - new to the championship when he joined so no previous wins in the BTCC with Triple 8.
Chevrolet - new to the championship when he joined so no previous wins in the BTCC with RML.
SEAT - new to the championship when he joined so no previous wins in the BTCC with Northern South.
way to miss the point

those are all factory backed entries with well proven teams who already won titles

it's the same as say Plato going to a brand new team with no success like BMR Restart the way Menu did or a team with marginal success at best like Motorbase
Old 14 Sep 2014, 17:07 (Ref:3453283)   #120
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Turks is like a son to Dick Bennetts, can't see that happening!
if Dick really would do it then he is a dick literally

I know at the end of the day it's business and $$$ counts but this would be utter corporate sale out in the worst possible way

besides if Plato would really want to go to WSR he would insist that Turks be kicked out since he can stand a driver who can stand up to him he himself said, a team 2 no. 1 drivers doesn't work..
Old 14 Sep 2014, 18:13 (Ref:3453289)   #121
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Is this a thing? I don't read other BTCC forums, but I do check out the BTCC news sites now and then and I've heard nothing. Was anything actually said, or is it just speculation?

Reasonable speculation, if it is, with all the RWD comments and the MG contract for Plato ending this year, but I just wondered if I'd missed anything.

Quote:
Plato goes to whoever wins the most. ..
...and given the option, who wouldn't? Honestly?
Old 14 Sep 2014, 19:42 (Ref:3453316)   #122
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Tbh I wouldn't be hugely surprised if Rob Collard gives Plato a few problems. Imo he's a much better driver than Sam Tordoff, who has recently got the edge on Plato (although I suspect that success ballast is part of that...) whilst Turks would go on winning lots.

Knowing Plato, however, he could well join the very team he tried to peg back last season, and suddenly fall silent...

...just whatever happens, Plato will be a race winner next season.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 08:04 (Ref:3453489)   #123
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll just find something else to whinge about!
Old 15 Sep 2014, 14:55 (Ref:3453573)   #124
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
if Dick really would do it then he is a dick literally

I know at the end of the day it's business and $$$ counts but this would be utter corporate sale out in the worst possible way

besides if Plato would really want to go to WSR he would insist that Turks be kicked out since he can stand a driver who can stand up to him he himself said, a team 2 no. 1 drivers doesn't work..
Never going to happen, so don't worry. The only reason Colin wouldn't be back would be due to a similar situation like when RAC pulled out. Dick and the team moved heaven and earth to try and get him a 2010 programme in the BTCC, but it just wasn't possible.
Old 15 Sep 2014, 17:31 (Ref:3453609)   #125
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Never going to happen, so don't worry. The only reason Colin wouldn't be back would be due to a similar situation like when RAC pulled out. Dick and the team moved heaven and earth to try and get him a 2010 programme in the BTCC, but it just wasn't possible.
Turks looked at Onyx WTCC this year though, didn't he? And they are looking at Focuses for the new TC3 Class. WSR want and arguably need him. Does he need or want them?
Closed Thread