Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 20 Aug 2012, 11:43 (Ref:3122055)   #251
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For sure, especially as a 21 year old rookie outshines them all.
Old 25 Aug 2012, 22:36 (Ref:3124780)   #252
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So, I'm seeing reports suggesting TTA and STCC are talking to each other again.

And before you ask, no, I'm afraid I don't have any details whatsoever. Can't even be sure it's 100% true. Although I hope it is.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 08:28 (Ref:3127780)   #253
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Pettersson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Colin Turkington tested a TTA car yesterday
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...49301039_o.jpg
Old 31 Aug 2012, 09:25 (Ref:3127798)   #254
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Curious. With a few for a race seat or to suss out a new setup as most of the current drivers ain't getting much out of the car (I assume it was FEAB he was testing for)?
Old 31 Aug 2012, 11:38 (Ref:3127839)   #255
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson View Post
Curious. With a few for a race seat or to suss out a new setup as most of the current drivers ain't getting much out of the car (I assume it was FEAB he was testing for)?
I'd guess to sign a contract for next year, since FE hasnt really had any success at all this year with Rudholm and Andersson, they are probably looking for other drivers next year.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 11:57 (Ref:3127845)   #256
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Or maybe there'll be more than 16 cars next year?

Didn't VW make some noises that they might be interested?
Old 31 Aug 2012, 12:19 (Ref:3127854)   #257
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Tommy Kristoffersson said (when the news that talks have resumed between TTA and STCC appeared) that TTA might be of interest, but the problem was to convince Volkswagen to "buy" the whole TTA concept.
Old 31 Aug 2012, 12:57 (Ref:3127865)   #258
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Ah, ok.

FFIW, Volkswagen was one of the few brands that actually allowed their brand to be used in V8Stars, but that was of course way back.

Also, looks like BMW have finally allowed West Coast to use their grill design:

http://www.touringcartimes.com/news/tta12083101.jpg
Old 31 Aug 2012, 16:35 (Ref:3127949)   #259
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Finally it looks like a BMW
Old 5 Sep 2012, 22:43 (Ref:3131658)   #260
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Apparently, tickets to the Tierp Arena race cost around 50 euro!!
There's no way that I am going to buy tickets for such amount of money and for quite mediocre racing!

DTM has tickets for 29 euro at the lowest and WSBR gives away free ticket?!
Old 5 Sep 2012, 23:45 (Ref:3131698)   #261
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
62, actually. And you would't be the only one from looking at the TTA website, were they seem to be doing their best putting out fires as people react to the price hike.
Old 6 Sep 2012, 08:18 (Ref:3131849)   #262
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
For a serie to be in its first year, its madness to have tickets at this price. Also the Gothenburg race had the same ticke prices. At Falkenberg I payed 200kr (about 20-25€), and it was more people then there have been for the last couple of years when STCC raced there.

I can understand that Tierp needs to bring in some money, looking at how much the arena must have cost to build. But TTA should really set stop to that, keep the tickets at 200kr entry and 150more for grandstands. Maybe in a year or two when (or if) TTA becomes the mainstream serie in Sweden they can take that kind of money for their tickets, seeing as they have space for 20k in the grandstands. They should never take more for the tickets then they can fill the stands.

I was also planing on going with my GF and a couple of friends, but I think it will end with me going alone to be honest.
Old 6 Sep 2012, 16:53 (Ref:3132086)   #263
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Very expensive
Old 7 Sep 2012, 06:11 (Ref:3132321)   #264
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmm, I was thinking about going seeing as Tierp Arena is the closest track to where I live. With that ticket price, however, I think I'll stay home and watch it on TV instead.
Old 9 Sep 2012, 11:27 (Ref:3133191)   #265
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
SBF 90% sure series will merge

http://www.touringcartimes.com/article.php?id=8088
Old 10 Sep 2012, 12:22 (Ref:3133709)   #266
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And to make things worse for TTA - STCC have sold over 20000 tickets for their last round at Savalla...
Old 10 Sep 2012, 18:57 (Ref:3133886)   #267
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
With the season coming to an end what's the opinion in the Swedish media and forums about STCC and TTA?

Of course it's difficult to judge from outside Sweden but I had expected TTA would become more popular than STCC but so far I have not the impression that happened.
Old 10 Sep 2012, 22:42 (Ref:3133974)   #268
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
I read very little Swedish media so I am not the best to comment, but my impression from talking to others is that TTA has appeared less and less. Understand that the big tabloid press prints little motorsport at best; a page or two reserved for F1 at a GP weekend for example. But when I've actually picked up a newspaper, there's been an STCC column in the back pages along with WRC, Speedway and the likes - but no TTA. And after Karlskoga, which has been the one really good TTA race so far, Expressen only printed a small bottom-of-the-page article where Danielsson were complaining about driving standards.

Understandable, perhaps, as TTA hasn't breached 30k in viewership figures since the second round of the championship in early June. Meanwhile this weekend's STCC race (which I visited) drew 190k on SVT. Some argue that TV10 is a lesser channel and while that is certainly the case, sponsors pay to have their logos seen by people. That you have a defense ready matters little.
Old 12 Sep 2012, 18:56 (Ref:3134931)   #269
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
TTA to be shown live on TV6 for the last 2 races, I guess they are aiming to beat the STCC viewing numbers by changing to a more mainstream channel. Will be very interesting to see if it will make them hit the 100k mark
Old 12 Sep 2012, 20:14 (Ref:3134976)   #270
Pettersson
Racer

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFanNo1 View Post
TTA to be shown live on TV6 for the last 2 races, I guess they are aiming to beat the STCC viewing numbers by changing to a more mainstream channel. Will be very interesting to see if it will make them hit the 100k mark
I believe they have a fair and good shot at it, or at least it's a better channel than TV10. TV6 is also a channel that has many viewers TTA wants to attract, the slightly younger ones. In this case I would say the "slightly younger ones" are up to 30 years old.

My initial plans was to go to Tierp, but I'm abroad this weekend. The track looks interesting. And honestly, no matter what letter combintion that "wins" (STCC or TTA), I will always remember 2012 as the year when we got no less than 3 new racing arenas. How often does that happen in Sweden, especially at a time where things like noise restrictions and economic recession are giving motorsport a really hard time?

Would have been fun to visit both an STCC and TTA event this year and get a personal opinion, and it would also make it easier to follow the debate. As for now, I try my best to avoid any discussions on Swedish boards about TTA vs. STCC. Getting kind of sick of it, to be honest.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 23:03 (Ref:3135649)   #271
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
It'd be extraordinary if they didn't increase their viewership now. According to TTA they've sold 5000 tickets so it shouldn't look deserted at least. Track looks acceptable, or would if they removed the two poorly thought out chicanes and added some kerbing. I think I saw two in the onboard video.

Also, Ebbesson has run out of cash and a new driver will be announced, well, before the first test session tomorrow. Someone on RBC claimed Hallrup would be missing as well but I've not seen that anywhere else.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 13:27 (Ref:3135892)   #272
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
Track looks good for having been build in one week or so. Agree that the two chicanes needs to go, sounds like SBF didnt allow the "long" back straight without the very narrow chicane in the middle, hope they can find a better solution till next year atleast

Hope for lots of people tomorrow so we can get a real stadium feeling when the cars come around for the first lap, like when DTM races at Hockenheim.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3135906)   #273
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
It'd be the lack of runoff that made them put in the chicanes I guess, because there's a lot longer straights elsewhere in Sweden. Anyway, they appear to have canceled the first test session while they rebuild the second chicane.
Old 17 Sep 2012, 11:00 (Ref:3137141)   #274
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Did anyone from here visit the race? Curious to hear what it was like at the track, because from the sidelines I don't see how this weekend was anything other than a massive failure.

The track was a mess and clearly not ready - to the extraordinary degree that Lindström (who is still the boss of Swedish GT) flat out said it was unsafe and should not have passed inspection. The layout was uninspired and did not lend itself to good racing. The officiating was laughable in that the leader and third place car got drive throughs for working on their cars before the start - when the race was almost over! Compounded by Mangs not taking his drive through and being disqualified, along with Brovallen having a shouting match with the officials in pit lane saying they hadn't been given any information. Thank god Ohlsson passed Mangs before the finish, because otherwise it would have been the laughable Robby Gordon situation of a disqualified guy winning the race.

They've not exactly shouted the official spectator figure from the rooftops but 5500 has to be way, way short of what they were hoping for. This was hyped as a marquee event with it's proximity to Stockholm but with their extortionist prices they got only a couple of hundred people more than Anderstorp. Swedish GT only had half of the grid from Anderstorp (talk about heaven and hell), and they really need to get Lindström back in the booth to make the races watchable (I listened to it on web radio with live timing and couldn't understand half of what was happening). And for some strange reason reliability issues have started creeping into the TTA cars - you would have thought this was the first race of the season, not the penultimate.

And to top that off, the TV broadcast was a jumbled mess. Compare and contrast with Karlskoga, which was pretty much spot on. Poor camera placings, few cameras, poor production, missed action, disconnected commentators who often talked about what was happening off screen... And when things were missed there were few replays to be had. Untill I saw the Youtube highlights I had no idea Dahlgren got run into, and it's really a bit late by then. The move to TV6 didn't help one bit (well, a little - but 39,000 is still way too low, especially after STCC had 190,000 last round) and did anyone buy Sunday's Aftonbladet? I picked up Expressen and they didn't print a single sentence on the race. And that's after they gave one of their reporters a ride around the track and he did a pre-race report about meeting the Prince. But then that article didn't even manage to explain that Bernadotte's shot at the title was in Swedish GT, not TTA...

It's like everyone brought their B game to Tierp. The thing is... they were a lot better than this at the start of the season. When TTA kicked off it looked - save for Miller & Brunstedt in the Brovallen cars - like a well prepared, professional championship. They drew an OK crowd, had OK TV figures. But since then, it's like they've just kept backing into a corner more and more. Partly it has to be down to their attitude - every time they get criticized they get aggressive/defensive and claim people don't understand or that they do it their way (the proper way).

Because right now, I don't see any main series in Sweden that does not look like a house of cards at the moment.
Old 17 Sep 2012, 12:41 (Ref:3137210)   #275
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess TTA doesn't come out as the winner of the touring car war, right? Maybe the Swedes don't prefer DTM-style touring car racing after all?

The only thing the STCC needs is a proper grid, which comes close to 20 cars. Then, the TTA can start formulating their declaration of surrender.