Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Sep 2007, 19:21 (Ref:2005563)   #226
esper
Veteran

Netherlands
nl
esper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=zefarelly]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
as for football physique, my late father had an ample waste line, and he never played football . . .I gave up football to save my knees, and am still slipping in to the old rock n roll strides at 34W . . .I say slip, more of a squeeze and I can't sit down
So golf? thers's a nice course at Spa
Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:07 (Ref:2005609)   #227
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Can anyone tell me where I can find the FIA App J regs concerning rollcages for 1993?
I think after each update they take the old regs off.
How urgent do you need it or what info? I may still have a set at the office, but I'm not that sure to be honest. Back in the office Monday.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 20:34 (Ref:2005630)   #228
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gregor,there,s only one major problem with Spa ,It buggers up all the other circuits you,v raced on,DONT go and do the Nordschliefe,cos that makes Spa seem tame!
Old 6 Sep 2007, 21:17 (Ref:2005669)   #229
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
I did Snett before the other 2 but it was never on my wish list, Spa is worth the effort tenfold however, and Brands GP is the best in the UK

as for football physique, my late father had an ample waste line, and he never played football . . .I gave up football to save my knees, and am still slipping in to the old rock n roll strides at 34W . . .I say slip, more of a squeeze and I can't sit down
I think Snett is a personal thing, one of, if not, Dad's favourite circuit in the UK, his first race win, his 600th race win and all the Willhire events I used to go to as a kid, I just love the circuit and would love to have a go with the old Norwich straight, must have been awesome then. Spa was probably Dad's favourite European circuit, he was well disappointed to never race at Le Mans and he loved Bathurst but obviously not European.

I have a picture somewhere of Dad playing football at Underhill, Barnet's home ground, there was a load of racing drivers playing, will have to dig it out and see what it was all about as I can't remember now. I'm sure you're all aware of Dad's running abilities, which was mainly gained from ice skating, how funny is that!!?? Funnily enough that's how he and Mike Wheatley first met, ice skating against each other in Harrow!! I used to be a 34 Zef, but the last 18 months I've slipped to a 38, more to do with my fat arse from football, I had to get Mr Folwell to give me the biggest seat Corbeau do!!

Terry - I did manage to escape with only one beer with Vince (and gave him all the bits for my new oil cooler, brilliant!!) and mentioned Spa, he said as far as he knows Mark R would definitely be up for it and I know he's a bit bigger than you but not much in it. If you want Mark's number let me know or pm me what you want and I'll pass it on.
Old 6 Sep 2007, 21:26 (Ref:2005674)   #230
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Off topic comment alert
I have to type this or my brain will explode!

Don't start me on Gerry stories.

I remember him in the DB4 husstling a full race BV8 for the lead at Silverstone. He was on treaded tyres and the B was on Slicks!

Thanks for reading, you've been a wonderful audience. Don't forget to try the veal and tip your waitress. We now return you to the topic
One day I'll have to get you all to e-mail with a load of stories/races with Dad, I was with him every weekend up until I was about 15 and we fell out massivley (family things!!), then I got my own interests but after 22 I went to pretty much every meeting other than the foreign stuff; I couldn't have the time off work or afford the beer/wine/gin that was consumed!!

As an aside and hopefully not off topic as Spa would be included in the stories it looks like I might have got Haynes to agree to a book to properly update what Dad did after OHFTB, so if you would like to be involved just e-mail me!!

One story I recently heard which does include Spa was from Richard Grant, the motor factors guy. He was great friends with a Belgian guy who said he couldn't remember what year it was (I would imagine '76, see what you think after the story) when at the 24 hour race Dad was mid-field/towards the back in qualifying; they had the flag drop as the start procedure and Dad tore off with the red lights still on, grabbed the Belgian flag out of the starter's hand and off he went, making up about 30 places to just incur a 10 second penalty!! Sounds like a great story to me, I can imagine Dad doing it, especially in '76 with Tony L being his co-driver, but if it's true or not I don't know.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 04:25 (Ref:2005797)   #231
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Eddy,

I downloaded the special regs and it quotes rollccages to be App J 1993. I'm sure mine qualifies but its the only thing on the list I can't verify.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 06:59 (Ref:2005837)   #232
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
One story I recently heard which does include Spa was from Richard Grant, the motor factors guy. He was great friends with a Belgian guy who said he couldn't remember what year it was (I would imagine '76, see what you think after the story) when at the 24 hour race Dad was mid-field/towards the back in qualifying; they had the flag drop as the start procedure and Dad tore off with the red lights still on, grabbed the Belgian flag out of the starter's hand and off he went, making up about 30 places to just incur a 10 second penalty!! Sounds like a great story to me, I can imagine Dad doing it, especially in '76 with Tony L being his co-driver, but if it's true or not I don't know.
I have known Richard Grant all my life and that is the cleanest story I have ever heard of his - get him to tell you about the goings on at the Racing Car Show in the 60's and 70's. Its no co incidence that your dad and him were great muckers!
Old 7 Sep 2007, 09:06 (Ref:2005913)   #233
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gregor,Have you any idea of the amount of mail you could recieve??
Old 7 Sep 2007, 09:24 (Ref:2005921)   #234
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Gregor,Have you any idea of the amount of mail you could recieve??
Well it would keep me occupied during the off-season!!
Did you see my comment about Mark being interested in Spa?
Old 7 Sep 2007, 18:38 (Ref:2006285)   #235
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Sorry for the delay Gregor ,been out all day,had a job to see where I was going in the daylight! The seat has been filled now,by another rather well known Saloon Pilot,more to the point it,s someone I know and trust,he will respect the car and bring it home.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 22:46 (Ref:2006444)   #236
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Mark Griffiths should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Hey chaps.

I'll be there.

I'm driving an MGB with Bill Kirkpatrick and Andrew Smith in the 6 Hours, and (fingers very firmly crossed) mine and Malcolm Verey's MG1100 (now when did any of you last see one of those race) will be making its debut in Carol Spagg's U2TC race.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 22:48 (Ref:2006446)   #237
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Hey chaps.

I'll be there.

I'm driving an MGB with Bill Kirkpatrick and Andrew Smith in the 6 Hours, and (fingers very firmly crossed) mine and Malcolm Verey's MG1100 (now when did any of you last see one of those race) will be making its debut in Carol Spagg's U2TC race.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 22:50 (Ref:2006447)   #238
Mark Griffiths
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire, U.K.
Oops. Sorry about the duplicate post.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 23:13 (Ref:2006460)   #239
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
The more the better Mark.You should enjoy the 1100,they had fantastic roadholding even as standard.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 07:02 (Ref:2006580)   #240
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
an MG1100 as in Saun Rainfords one, like an Austin 1100 ?
Old 8 Sep 2007, 07:10 (Ref:2006587)   #241
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I remember the Bottelle brothers car in the MG Pheonix championship,it too a bit of driver/car development,but eventually it do start to go!
Old 8 Sep 2007, 08:52 (Ref:2006633)   #242
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But that was seriously lightened. Also it runs on slicks.
Old 8 Sep 2007, 16:53 (Ref:2006951)   #243
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
But that was seriously lightened. Also it runs on slicks.
It does now Peter,but not when I remember it from.If it had been on slicks then,it might have stayed on the black stuff longer.
Old 10 Sep 2007, 11:58 (Ref:2008446)   #244
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Sorry for the delay Gregor ,been out all day,had a job to see where I was going in the daylight! The seat has been filled now,by another rather well known Saloon Pilot,more to the point it,s someone I know and trust,he will respect the car and bring it home.
No worries Terry, I've just seen the entry list and who you now have, good choice, team 10/10ths and probably quicker than a Capri!!
Good luck, will look forward to the stories and excuses!!
Old 10 Sep 2007, 12:04 (Ref:2008452)   #245
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The pressure mounts!
Old 10 Sep 2007, 13:03 (Ref:2008499)   #246
GBRM
Veteran

England
I'm expecting to hear that car number 7 is the first MGB home, well, at least the first 1853 engine home!
Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:05 (Ref:2008530)   #247
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
are the entry details out ? I'd like to see who I'm racing with as well

from memory the roadbook.be entry list last year was a bit of a guess !
Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:12 (Ref:2008535)   #248
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
go tententhers ! If you need assistance my rates are very reasonable, and I know how to lever Peter in and out of a car
Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:15 (Ref:2008538)   #249
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly
are the entry details out ? I'd like to see who I'm racing with as well

from memory the roadbook.be entry list last year was a bit of a guess !
Zef - Not sure how official this list is but I found it another site. Looks like a cracking race entry, will definitely try and go next year even if just spectating.

Hope it helps.

http://www.roadbook.be/PDF/ListSpaSixHours.pdf
Old 10 Sep 2007, 14:17 (Ref:2008539)   #250
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
good luck to you both - I am sure you will lead the B's home!