Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Jul 2002, 09:36 (Ref:339426)   #1
z2252314
Racer

z2252314 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The new Schumi dance?

Did everyone like the Schumi wobble at the end of the race? I certainly did. In fact, why isnt there more post race on track celebrations? Zanardi would often give a smoke show after each indy race victory, and the crowds went wild. I loved the wobble (I initially thought he was going to lose it at one stage). More of the same please Michael!! Perhaps he should turn it into his customary celebration. The pumping of fists is getting a bit old dont you think?
Old 22 Jul 2002, 09:47 (Ref:339438)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Everything gets quite old-hat after the 61st time!
Old 22 Jul 2002, 09:56 (Ref:339442)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: The new Schumi dance?

Quote:
Originally posted by z2252314
In fact, why isnt there more post race on track celebrations? Zanardi would often give a smoke show after each indy race victory,
I think everyone enjoyed the way Alex used to celebrate his victories, however i believe that the FIA would take a dim view on the winner of the race doing a donut in the middle of the track and another car tagging it! Although it's slightly different, its only a few years ago (1997) that TGF was celebrating another pole, at the end of the qualifying hour, waving to the crowds etc and didn't see Berger who was on his final qualifying lap, which got ruined. My point is, things do happen even after the end of qualifying or the race, shame for the fans though!
Old 22 Jul 2002, 10:20 (Ref:339460)   #4
SolemHill
Rookie

SolemHill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, have to side whith Mr z225.... on this one!!!

At any level it's always great - watching the last race of the legends at oulton last year - John mickel (? spelling ) won the title and as the others queued for Parc Ferme he did a doughnut on the starting grid....which I watched from the pit wall with the marshall's - who all agreed that was the way to celebrate....then he droped the contents of the engine on the grid....they did there best to look disapproving....

Splendid!!!!
Old 22 Jul 2002, 10:23 (Ref:339464)   #5
julesdw
Rookie

julesdw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

If it remember rightly the FIA also does not allow flag carrying either...
Old 22 Jul 2002, 10:37 (Ref:339472)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can carry flags...but you get disqualified...
I thought Schueys wobble was really something special - insane
Old 22 Jul 2002, 10:46 (Ref:339478)   #7
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you can carry another driver on the sidepod, surely you can hold a flag ?

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 22 Jul 2002, 10:47 (Ref:339480)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It is like the in-car equivalent of that 'wobble' Rubens does on the podium. (static face expression, but the left and right side move up and down like a demented robot!).

Because it was a result of winning five world championships - very special indeed.

Not as good as a decent donut though.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 11:30 (Ref:339510)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by gtr69
If you can carry another driver on the sidepod, surely you can hold a flag ?
Well, actually you can, but you're not allowed to do that.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 12:13 (Ref:339544)   #10
TwoSheds
Veteran

England
Farnborough, UK
TwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTwoSheds should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
You can carry flags...but you get disqualified...
I though the actual problem was stopping on the track, not the carrying of a flag, so if you can get the flag without stopping you're okay? :confused:
Old 22 Jul 2002, 12:16 (Ref:339548)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I liked it when drivers carried a flag. Typical FIA to ruin that tradition as well.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 13:08 (Ref:339610)   #12
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi in a Prost, scoring points = funno

Was it Montreal last year where he was doing donuts, and threw his helmet into the crowd? 'Twas ace
Old 22 Jul 2002, 13:09 (Ref:339612)   #13
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I also thought he was going to lose it doing that wobble thing. It was fantastic to see him so enthusiastic, though some of our more cynical members might say he was practising the chop
Old 22 Jul 2002, 13:10 (Ref:339614)   #14
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
...very special indeed.
Not as good as a decent donut though.
Mmmm.... donuts...

Seriously, though, I agree, a bit of showmanship is quite nice. I was a bit scared of the wobble at first, but after a bit I realized it was deliberate, and I thought it looked pretty cool.

I also liked the first time Helio "Spiderman" Castroneves climbed the fences (Detroit?), but it got old rather quickly (at the Brand X 500 it was preceded by a whole bunch of announcer babble about whether it would or wouldn't happen, and whether Roger Penske would join him, yada yada yada. Zero sponteneity.)
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 22 Jul 2002, 13:11 (Ref:339615)   #15
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the violence of his moves considering the speed....

Now-now, speaking of chops... nah, I have to watch of the tape to see the start once again...
Old 22 Jul 2002, 13:16 (Ref:339620)   #16
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Yes Red, but that's a whole other thread that needs to be started. I've already asked a few members, and apparently, when Montoya does it, its ok because he does it "differently" than TGF, LOL.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 13:48 (Ref:339650)   #17
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
I was a bit scared of the wobble at first, but after a bit I realized it was deliberate...
... but instinctual...
Old 22 Jul 2002, 14:02 (Ref:339661)   #18
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
LOL Inigo, "differently" actually I have other interpretations for this word.... Do those made during the race count by the way? Not only at the start....
Old 22 Jul 2002, 14:04 (Ref:339665)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Another perfectly decent thread dies...
Old 22 Jul 2002, 14:12 (Ref:339672)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Anyway, there has been some good celebrations in the past. What about Senna after winning his first GP. He practically climbed out of the car while driving the slowing down lap!

And Brambilla celebrated by crashing his car on the slowing down lap in the 1975 Austrian GP!

Last edited by Adam43; 22 Jul 2002 at 14:14.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 14:16 (Ref:339678)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Re: The new Schumi dance?

Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Although it's slightly different, its only a few years ago (1997) that TGF was celebrating another pole, at the end of the qualifying hour, waving to the crowds etc and didn't see Berger who was on his final qualifying lap, which got ruined. My point is, things do happen even after the end of qualifying or the race, shame for the fans though!
I'm not sure if you are pointing to the same I thought. But I remember Alesi, after taking the pole at Monza, and waving to the crowd, slowing the car on the racing line, and Berger in his last run effort, crashed heavily after avoiding hitting Alesi's Ferrari.

I always expected different celebrations after a win, and TGF's one was a good surprise. Even if FIFA forbid such things, they should look at Valentino Rossi's celebrations and realize that it makes the crowds just love him...
Old 22 Jul 2002, 14:42 (Ref:339692)   #22
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the FIA just likes the races to be as boring as possible...

Everyone in Cart loved Alessandro's donuts, and a number of drivers still attempt them after their victories in Cart and lower formulae. It's a great show and photo oportunity for the fans. TGF's conservative little wobble was nice to see too, but donuts would have been better...if he knows how..lol.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Jul 2002, 15:04 (Ref:339713)   #23
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Berger incident

Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

Although it's slightly different, its only a few years ago (1997) that TGF was celebrating another pole, at the end of the qualifying hour, waving to the crowds etc and didn't see Berger who was on his final qualifying lap, which got ruined.
It was Monaco 1996. It also buggered up Hakkinen's final attempt at getting pole because he had to slow down for the yellow flags that Berger's spin triggered.

Also after Damon Hill won at Silverstone in '94 he was "summoned" by the FIA to explain why he picked up that massive Union Jack on the slowing down lap. He didn't get done or anything so it was pretty pointless to have a meeting about it.
Old 22 Jul 2002, 20:35 (Ref:340010)   #24
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Re: Re: The new Schumi dance?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi

I remember Alesi, after taking the pole at Monza, and waving to the crowd, slowing the car on the racing line, and Berger in his last run effort, crashed heavily after avoiding hitting Alesi's Ferrari.

No Bon, not the same thought, wasn't that in 1994? Berger and Alesi weren't at Ferrari in 1997! :confused:
Old 22 Jul 2002, 21:01 (Ref:340062)   #25
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought part of the reason flags were banned was for drivers safety, apparently whilst trying to pick them up whilst moving alot of them were injuring fingers.