Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 30 Sep 2004, 01:58 (Ref:1110813)   #1
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ecclestone Prepares To Discard Silverstone.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai...0/smkevi30.xml
Old 30 Sep 2004, 03:38 (Ref:1110832)   #2
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you could convince the Government that Jackie Stewart is an illegal immigrant who also happens to front a lesbian rights group which meets in small shed owned by the National Ballet that also happens to be on land inhabited by Great Crested newts and that he is unemployed, smokes 100 cigarettes a day, spends 5 hours a night in the pub but still has to feed 6 kids and still find the time to watch the footy on his fully paid up Sky...........then the pounds will roll in.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 05:48 (Ref:1110855)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Frankly F1 (as it is now known) is destroying its history anyway.

People who believe that Silverstone has a right because of its traditions and the proximity of the majority of teams are frankly naive when, (as that article states) the real driver for having a GP is the demonstration of improvement that the various countries can display by having a GP, and being able to show that they have the cash to front it.

A bit like the eighties and the yuppies in the financial market. And about as stable as that era too.

Expect the whole thing to crash around the FIA's ears in about five years time.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 07:14 (Ref:1110890)   #4
kickstart
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cheshire
kickstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect that we wýll end up wýth a european champýonshýp ýn addýtýon to the world champýonshýp as there ýs a lýmýt to how many GPs can be accomodated anyhow
Old 30 Sep 2004, 07:37 (Ref:1110900)   #5
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I really would like to have Ecclestone removed.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 07:40 (Ref:1110904)   #6
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it hard to believe that they're planning to dump Silverstone but are hell bent on keeping Monaco although anything that Bernie does is beyond belief.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 08:20 (Ref:1110924)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by TerryC
Personally, I really would like to have Ecclestone removed.
What a polite person you are.

Jim
Old 30 Sep 2004, 08:45 (Ref:1110944)   #8
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I woudn't blame ecclestone - he is usually right about these things...
Old 30 Sep 2004, 08:47 (Ref:1110946)   #9
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
No teams left,now no tracks to race on,not looking teribly bright for the future.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 09:21 (Ref:1110974)   #10
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Frankly F1 (as it is now known) is destroying its history anyway.

People who believe that Silverstone has a right because of its traditions and the proximity of the majority of teams are frankly naive when, (as that article states) the real driver for having a GP is the demonstration of improvement that the various countries can display by having a GP, and being able to show that they have the cash to front it.

A bit like the eighties and the yuppies in the financial market. And about as stable as that era too.

Expect the whole thing to crash around the FIA's ears in about five years time.
Five years? You really give it that long....?

I think you've hit the nail firmly on the head though Peter- money is everything at present in F1, and I can't see it being sustainable either
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1111020)   #11
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Why Silverstone!!! It hardly ever fails to bring a good race, lots of overtaking etc... Why not Hungary!!???

A: Money
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:24 (Ref:1111038)   #12
jminsh
Veteran

England
Not far from Oulton Park
jminsh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all down to the old saying Money Talks Bul**hit Walks
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:33 (Ref:1111047)   #13
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would be a pity.... while the new tracks have been a success we need to keep the older more traditional tracks... f1 without tracks like SPA and Silverstone, Monaco etc would lose its traditional touch...

and besides Silverstone always provides fun filled action packed races!! as the above poster said get rid of hungry instead!
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:36 (Ref:1111052)   #14
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's always Big Bad Bernie's fault isn't it?

I'm not convinced we should be too taken in by what's written in the Telegraph to be honest. I think (I hope!) there is still plenty of opportunity for a solution. But Peter's right, we cannot simply rely on tradition to save Silverstone. There has to be a viable business plan.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 10:59 (Ref:1111094)   #15
sjw75
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
sjw75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the F1 GP stay at Silverstone ?

Would be a shame to move it after all of the investment in the infrastructure and facilities.

Silverstone F1 GP on BBC News

Team circuitmarshal "In-out round and round"
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:13 (Ref:1111102)   #16
Gridlock
Racer

England
Buckinghamshire
Gridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGridlock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am afraid to say Bernie has very little interest in the sport. It is his Bank balance that is his his only interest.
The markets to make more money for Bernie are in those countries that are now being developed.
Regarding Silverstone for the Grand Prix I have heard so many marshals say they dont want to attend the event,so will we miss it?
If it goes so be it. However everyone in the sport should do what we can to see that Clubs and Circuits are supported and make other events as attractive as possible for the spectators. Perhaps there is room for some of the smaller teams to extract themselves from the Bernie rat race.
I have noticed since being a marshal that there is some Prejudice against certain circuits including Silvertsone. We must put all these arguments behind us and concentrate on keeping other events alive.
Can anyone tell me if there was anything interesting in the last GP as I went to sleep during the programme. However when I woke up there was a far more interesting race underway.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:32 (Ref:1111127)   #17
tyrrellf1
Rookie

tyrrellf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the GP goes, perhaps National/Club motorsport will assume greater importance for all the circuits. The whole industry might even benefit as resources may be spread around to upgrade facilities and improve the quality of the product, rather than being sucked into a Northamptonshire void. Other events will still be needed to create a focus for the UK motorsport industry, though - Birmingham and Manchester Champ Cars, perhaps, a F3 show worth seeing etc etc.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1111144)   #18
bbr73
Rookie

bbr73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny, Bernie wants 9 million for the British GP, right?

But didn't someone, IPG, recently pay him 90 odd million to release themselves from the F1 contract?

Sounds like somebody is being greedy.

Yeah yeah, the BRDC will probably be paid by IPG as well, but surely they will have to invest in the circuit to bring it up to the high standard's required.

What does Bernie bring to the party apart from a lot of talk and politics to support Max's and his personal agenda’s?
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1111146)   #19
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by tyrrellf1
. The whole industry might even benefit as resources may be spread around to upgrade facilities and improve the quality of the product, rather than being sucked into a Northamptonshire void.
If the GP dissapears then so with alot of the 'resources' ie money.

All the BRDC supported young driver incentives will vanish. Silverstone will never get upgraded and just be left to decay even further.

The circuit may even be sold to a propery developer and lost forever.

The british motorsport industry will have no focus, why do you think alot of them are based in the Northamptonshire area anyway.

The current majority owner of british circuits will have his hand strengthened considerably if Silverstone ceases to exist. This may not be a good thing, more demand than supply and the prices increase.

I think there is still plenty more sabre rattling from Bernie to come yet before this is over.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1111147)   #20
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree to an extent Garcon but there's no getting away from the fact that the reason the business plan is not viable is down to the amount of cash that goes directly to Bernies coffer's. The amount of cash he extracts from the sport is obscene. Other circuits may be able to afford it due to government subsidies or whatever, but that doesn't make it right.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 12:40 (Ref:1111215)   #21
TerryC
Racer

United Nations
Shakespeare's County
TerryC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My opinion may be wrong and I have no intention to offend anyone. Sorry, I personally just failed to see how Ecclestone can be right. He is simply not interested in keeping the British GP alive due to the relative small amount of cash he is getting into his own pocket as mentioned by Dick above compared to the more well off European counterparts.

It almost sounds contradictory that the person promoting F1 is ultimately the same person who plays a vital role in destroying it in a sense. He, as a citizen of the UK definitely deserved a medal.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 15:42 (Ref:1111373)   #22
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Silverstone dropped!

According the BBC News Ticker, Silverstone has been dropped as a Formula One venue.

BBC News

I am now going to collect my thoughts as I'm extremely upset right now.

Last edited by Spudgun; 30 Sep 2004 at 15:44.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1111374)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dropped for now, I suspect.

A deal will be done.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 15:45 (Ref:1111375)   #24
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's what I'm hoping anyway.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 15:47 (Ref:1111376)   #25
bulldogspirit
Racer

United Kingdom
London, England
bulldogspirit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Bernie has his way - Silverstone dropped.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3703350.stm
Closed Thread