Old 30 Sep 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1111459)   #51
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
3mil dollars..if the government , strangely, doesn't want to top up the shortfall, why won't UK based teams such as Mclaren, Williams, etc each top up abit from their budget if F1 meant so much to them?

Unless they do think that Silverstone GP is dispensable.
Maybe that is the reason.
More far Eastern/Asian circuits being built which probably allow tobacco sponsorship,and means more dosh for the constructors and organisers?
Silverstone has a bit of a bad image due to ,weather parking etc?
Lister
Old 30 Sep 2004, 16:57 (Ref:1111460)   #52
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The majority of fans only watch it on the television, so does it really matter where the races are?

[/devilsadvocate]
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1111464)   #53
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They won't watch a succession of Hungarorings though, will they? And that seems to be the way F1 is going - blandly designed races in front of small crowds of barely-interested viewers, or people from richer local countries who can get to the race cheaper than their own race. I'm sure bernie is bluffing in the hunt for a little bit more money - and hopefully fan outcry will stop him.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:02 (Ref:1111465)   #54
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well of course it does if we are talking advertising.
Or do they blank out all cars with ciggy advertising appearing on UK sets?
Lister
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:07 (Ref:1111476)   #55
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Statement from the government in the past few minutes:

"Clearly the Government supports and wants to see a British Grand Prix at Silverstone - but the current commercial negotiations about the promotion of
the grand prix are a matter between the BRDC and Formula One," said a spokesman for the Department of Culture, Media and Sport.

"We have done everything, and will continue to, to help bring the parties together to discuss the matter.

"The Formula One race calendar for 2005 will not be finalised until the next FIA world motor sport council meeting on October 13.

"The Government has already made significant financial contribution to motorsport and Silverstone - in 2002 we invested over #16million to support the industry and #8million to improve road access around the track."

Last edited by Kicking-back; 30 Sep 2004 at 17:08.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:13 (Ref:1111483)   #56
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good if its true and we can have an extra weekend of decent club racing, somehow i think it will come back on the calender
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1111487)   #57
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And there is a knock-on too:

How many jobs do you think will be lost as a result of this decision? I'm not just on about the full-time jobs of people in the local area who depend on motor-racing, but the people who use the British GP to make a few extra pounds in pocket money? I'm refering to the boys and girls who come in and run the merchandise stands, the extra waiters and waitresses who serve in all the hospitality units, the event security people who help us out, the additional marshals who do get paid (Yes, a small fee I know but it's still money!) for their help, the B&B's who put people up, the campsites (let's face it, farming alone doesn't bring in the money) where people stay, the additional admin staff to do a bit of paperwork... the list is endless. All of these people will lose out next year. What about the local charities who are given permission to collect from the kind punters at the track? All sorts of things have been funded (new minibuses for sick/disabled kids, keeping hospices open etc) by the donations of the race-goers because the Government/Lottery don't consider them worthy of funding (but that's a different rant that I have).

The British Grand Prix brings in £30MILLION over those 3 days! A hell of a lot of money - but it doesn't go to the BRDC or the track.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1111490)   #58
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think there will be a deal struck.... i mean its hard to imagine not having a British GP...
Shanghai and Bahrain i think have raised the bar in terms of facilities but Mr Ecclestone those are new tracks and that is expected!!!

The most important thing overlooked by Ecclestone is that Silverstone produces great GP's atleast once in 2 years...

Obviously good racing is not high on Bernies agenda... im thourghly disappointed not because we could be losing a home GP.... but mainly we could be losing a unique and brilliat racing track!!
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1111494)   #59
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
May be if the BRDC agreed to sell Silverstone to Bernie and the goverment give him a knighthood then he will maybe put the British GP back on.

As for Germany and Italy having 2 each where does the World Champion come from and the number 1 team?

They the countries pay more for tv rights than the £9 million that he is asking from the BRDC.

The British goverment will never agree to funding it as it is not tne DOME or Wembly (in London)
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:30 (Ref:1111495)   #60
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm waiting to hear Sir Frank Williams' verdict - as well as the verdict from Ron Dennis and the other team bosses based in the UK. After all, the implications for them at their "home" race are enormous.

Oh, and before the anti-tobacco lobby get too excited by the announcement to drop the GP, just remember that the British GP doesn't actually HAVE tobacco advertising!
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:32 (Ref:1111496)   #61
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PeterJohnstone
What is an even bigger disgrace is that Octagon paid Bernie a very sizeable 8 figure sum in compensation only a few months ago so Bernie is effectively after 2 lots of money for the same product
That's not a disgrace, that's good business.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1111501)   #62
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some of us enjoyed going to the GP
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:35 (Ref:1111502)   #63
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is what Sir Jackie has to say.... things look bleak:

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...30180824.shtml
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:41 (Ref:1111507)   #64
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing to do is not watch it...if you dissaprove so vehemently withdraw your support, I shall be there's lots more interesting racing anyway. It's probably not a popular opinion here but in all honesty if F1 in its current guise dies I will not shed a single tear..out of the ashes something worthwhile may rise...to completely rebuild first you must completely destroy as somebody from the different end of the spectrum from John's standpoint once said
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:42 (Ref:1111508)   #65
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not very good news at all.

If things turn for the worse I shall not watch F1 again!

:confused:
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:46 (Ref:1111517)   #66
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The future of Silverstone is on the ITV news and Bernie Ecclestone will be on Trevor Mcdonald tonight.

Last edited by luke; 30 Sep 2004 at 17:49.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 17:48 (Ref:1111524)   #67
Paceracing
Racer

Paceracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I smell a rat. This looks like a classic negotiation tactic.
However, I have to say that this government would bend over backwards to get the Olympics here wich would give short term employment, while motorsport, (of which the UK is the World leader employing tens of thousands of people) is a low priority. The flip side is that F1 doesn't exactly do itself many favours with it's image of rich playboy's lifestyles.

Jason.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1111532)   #68
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I tend to agree, Paceracing, negotiation tactics that started when he moved the race in April in the hope of bad weather and got a bonus.

Since I don't go (due to it being the worst meeting of the year) despite being able to go for free, I wouldn't be happy at my tax being used to bolster the race while many of the super-rich participants largely reside in Monaco in order to avoid contributing to that tax! I'm equally unhappy at foreign developing countries throwing massive funds at their circuits while many of their citizens struggle to live, just so the cigarette peddlars can tap into a new market. I realize that's all a subjective view, and a little bit political for the thread, but since Bernie and Max seem to believe they're more important than elected governments, never mind unelected ones, then I make no apology for mentioning it.

Back to the thread. Frankly, I'd like to tell Bernie to shove his inferior and newly undersupported series, and get Silverstone to bring in Champ Cars or IRL in direct competition and then promote it properly. Let the public see what real racing is.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 18:00 (Ref:1111533)   #69
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
And is currently on the ITV news channel.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 18:05 (Ref:1111535)   #70
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How long before the "FOR SALE" signs appear on the Dadford Road (and I dont mean outside the Jordan factory)
Old 30 Sep 2004, 18:07 (Ref:1111538)   #71
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Donnington anyone!
Old 30 Sep 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1111542)   #72
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Those involved at Silverstone would be wuite rightly absolutely incensed if somehow some package was put together to hold a GP anywhere else in the UK. Silverstone is by far our best facility. The money required to bring Donington, Brands or anywhere else (including any farcical ideas of a GP in London) would be astronomical - more than enough to redevelop Silverstone into the most impressive venue on the planet.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 18:12 (Ref:1111543)   #73
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wolley,
Thanks for writing that for me!!
Old 30 Sep 2004, 18:13 (Ref:1111544)   #74
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How long before Jonatan Palmer steps in and buys the GP and it's location.
Old 30 Sep 2004, 18:15 (Ref:1111550)   #75
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I doubt he could. But at this point, the BRDC may have to consider offers for Silverstone from a consortium if that was the best chance of keeping the GP.

Strikes me the BRDC's funds may be better put to use promoting motorsport across the UK, grass roots level upwards, than disappearing into keeping F1 at Silverstone.