Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Sep 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1706140)   #51
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzen
Are you sure this is the incident (i think it may not be)? because if it is then this is the most ludacrious decision in years.....
Old 9 Sep 2006, 20:59 (Ref:1706144)   #52
racingdad
Veteran

racingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have just rewatched the whole lap on video. as a former clerk of the course in normal racing, I can see nothing wrong with Alonso's position on the track - he did not impede Massa at all, probably gave him a bit of a tow, in fact. I know the boys all want MS to win one more championship, bit this is another nail in F1 cofin for me
Old 9 Sep 2006, 21:29 (Ref:1706156)   #53
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingdad
I have just rewatched the whole lap on video. as a former clerk of the course in normal racing, I can see nothing wrong with Alonso's position on the track - he did not impede Massa at all, probably gave him a bit of a tow, in fact. I know the boys all want MS to win one more championship, bit this is another nail in F1 cofin for me
Know what.. I think you make a very good point. Perhaps Alonso being in front did help Massa in the third sector and *improved* his laptime by a fraction.

I mean, I have watched the lap like 25 times... the more I see it, the more I hate FIA. This is sport at its lowest.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1706160)   #54
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
The exact decision states that the stewards found that Alonso was "on his out-lap and, having been caught by Felipe Massa, did impede him".

Now, I may be being a bit naif here, but I cannot for the life of me in any possible plausible inference of the Mother Tongue find anything that could possibly be construed as Alonso "having been caught".

I must therefore have severe doubts about either the competence or the integrity of the stewards who could possibly have come to this conclusion. Massa is barely within the same time zone.

I had been thinking of boycotting the "race" tomorrow. However I think I will watch it to see how they fix it.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1706166)   #55
freud
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14

I had been thinking of boycotting the "race" tomorrow. However I think I will watch it to see how they fix it.
Expect MS to 'duel'? with Kimi as Massa protects his back. Its MS 1, Massa 2, Kimi 3. MS announces retirement/wins race/closes gap to Alonso, Kimi into Ferrari and Monza podium, Tifosa go crazy.. FIA mints money. Its all good
Old 9 Sep 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1706170)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensign14
How will you ever stop this blatent rigging of races if you don't boycott the race?
Old 9 Sep 2006, 21:47 (Ref:1706173)   #57
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
How will you ever stop this blatent rigging of races if you don't boycott the race?

Old 9 Sep 2006, 21:50 (Ref:1706176)   #58
freud
Veteran

Quote:
I can see the sarcastic humor but do you really think the penalty was justified? I know you think banning of mass dampers was fine and that Michael doing all his stupid manouvers with PDR at Hungary were OK? Perhaps you are a MS fan so one can understand.

But does it matter if a player (in any sport) loses a title/sporting event due to the potential impact of an umpiring/refree decision?

Last edited by freud; 9 Sep 2006 at 21:53.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 21:55 (Ref:1706177)   #59
Alpha Charlie 6
Rookie

Alpha Charlie 6 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Forget it Schumie/Ferrari bashers ...Alonso is showing his true colours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 9 Sep 2006, 21:56 (Ref:1706178)   #60
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
No offence intended on my behalf Freud. I just don't subscribe to the idea of deliberate race fixing. I have not seen the piece of footage since Q I just can not remember Alonso doing anything to impede Massa?
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1706181)   #61
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by freud
Perhaps you are a MS fan so one can understand.
Well it was sarcastic humour, but it made the point about over reastion to the point of seeing the worse. TGF fan, me? he he. No BTW, but that is irrelevant. I discuss without fan bias.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:00 (Ref:1706182)   #62
freud
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
No offence intended on my behalf Freud. I just don't subscribe to the idea of deliberate race fixing. I have not seen the piece of footage since Q I just can not remember Alonso doing anything to impede Massa?
Its not race fixing.. its an attempt to favor one competitor over another. And there is a consistent pattern to this.

Remind me of one FIA penalty/ruling against Ferrari/MS that actually lead to one of them losing a title. I know many people cant see through it but the law of probability has failed so many times when it comes to FIA rulings that one has to assume something at the FIA really stinks.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1706184)   #63
Alpha Charlie 6
Rookie

Alpha Charlie 6 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ensign 14 staes that Massa is never within a second of Alonso.....What happened in Turkey.....or did 14 not notice that?????????????
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:02 (Ref:1706185)   #64
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Remind me of one FIA penalty/ruling against Ferrari/MS that actually lead to one of them losing a title.
The penalties are surely handed out on the crime not on what impact they might have. You are suggesting that they should have one for the purpose of losing someone a title - that is fixing the result.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1706187)   #65
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Charlie 6
Ensign 14 staes that Massa is never within a second of Alonso.....What happened in Turkey.....or did 14 not notice that?????????????
I think the current topic is about qualifying at the Italian GP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha Charlie 6
Forget it Schumie/Ferrari bashers ...Alonso is showing his true colours !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
6, this is surely as close to Alonso bashing as the other is Schumacher bashing. Two wrongs don't make a right and it isn't 10-10ths style.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1706188)   #66
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
watched it live on TV and think this is blatant attempt to help MS win the championship - Italian GP, Italian rules?

Hope Alonso does well regardless of this penalty, not sure if can be bothered to watch it now.

Bit like when Mini's were excluded from results of that 60's Monte Carlo Rally, French decision on a French rally...
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1706189)   #67
freud
Veteran

Quote:
The penalties are surely handed out on the crime not on what impact they might have. You are suggesting that they should have one for the purpose of losing someone a title - that is fixing the result.
Semantically, yes. Methodically, not.

C'mmon. I mean lets face it. Do you really think, considering all the circumstances and the stage of the season when title is to be decided in next four races, that this penalty is justified?
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:10 (Ref:1706191)   #68
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
The penalty was justified if the telemetry shows he had to lift. Sometimes... we all have to admit that maybe those in charge know a bit more than us. Lets wait and see for further clarification.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1706194)   #69
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
The penalty was justified if the telemetry shows he had to lift.
Pat Symonds:

Quote:
"I looked at Ferrari's telemetry, and [Massa] gained time on the back straight and was quicker into Parabolica than before. He lifted in the middle of the corner. To me, it looked like a mistake but he claimed he was losing downforce."
So Massa lifted because he ran out of talent, according to Renault - a biased source of course...but that's at least one explanation of why lifting would be nothing to do with Alonso.

If Alonso blocked Massa, then everyone blocked everyone in qualifying. They were no way close.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:15 (Ref:1706196)   #70
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Well at least that is one side of the story based on something other than looking at video.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:16 (Ref:1706198)   #71
freud
Veteran

Quote:
The penalty was justified if the telemetry shows he had to lift. Sometimes... we all have to admit that maybe those in charge know a bit more than us. Lets wait and see for further clarification.
Inigo, your signature says it all I am sure you will be happier if Ferrari finishes one-two.

Did Massa lift at the 350 KPH straight past parabolica? I would seriously doubt it. And even if he did it doesnt prove that Alonso blocked him because for BLOCKING to happen, Alonso also has to lift off from his throttle as well. Perhaps Alonso has to brake at the 350 KPH straight right in front of those huge grandstands so that he could give ferrari and massa a run for their money.

Got it?
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:17 (Ref:1706199)   #72
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Freud, before you accuse me of anything, you should realize that there is more to life than F1. Perhaps there was some other major sporting event recently that Italians did quite well in?
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:19 (Ref:1706201)   #73
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Do you really think, considering all the circumstances and the stage of the season when title is to be decided in next four races, that this penalty is justified?
The penalty should, surely, have no relevance to the position of the championship. That is my point and, I suspect and hope, yours too.

However most discussion here is based on how it effects the championship not the incident. And my opinion needs to be assessed on whether I am a Michael fan or not. That too is irrelevant and if we are going from that starting point there is nothing to be gained.

Perhaps this is a long way of saying I'm going to watch it again before commenting. Is offering an opinion worthwhile, I'll just get dismissed as a FA or MS fan depending on viewpoint.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:20 (Ref:1706204)   #74
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Inigo, your signature says it all I am sure you will be happier if Ferrari finishes one-two.
And your sig? oh dear.
Old 9 Sep 2006, 22:23 (Ref:1706208)   #75
gti5notrkt
Racer

gti5notrkt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Freud, before you accuse me of anything, you should realize that there is more to life than F1. Perhaps there was some other major sporting event recently that Italians did quite well in?
Soccer (football) match rigging?

Apologies for the OT comment....couldn't resist...