Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Hillclimb and Sprint

Old 20 Nov 2004, 11:38 (Ref:1159150)   #1
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Your favourite hill climb?

And why?

Since it came up in another thread, where do you prefer to drive/marshal/spectate? And more importantly what are the reasons?

You'll have guessed Shelsley is my favourite, but it's a closer decision than you might expect. The main reason is it's where I started marshalling, ans so has a bit of a soft spot for me. On track it's go everything in terms of spectacle - Big single-seaters through Ess Approach, a well-driven sportscar out of Crossing or even a Mini into Bottom Ess without lifting. Nothing beats standing at Ess Approach when a V8 is passing 4 feet away at 120+. The downside for me is the number of cars that get sent home in a skip. The club have been working very hard to make it safer, but there's a limit to what is achievable.

Prescott is a close second. The marshals' facilities are second to none (the pound) and the layout of the hill is briliant. Good viewing from everywhere, and a sequence of very demanding twists and turns. Anyone who can charge the Esses at full chat gets my respect.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 18:22 (Ref:1159350)   #2
listernoble
Racer

United Kingdom
Norfolk UK
listernoble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loton Park

I like most UK hills ,but as a driver Loton has more for me than any other UK venue at which I have competed.
It's a relatively long course with complex bends,adverse cambers,a fast"straight",has a great atmosphere and hosted by a very friendly club run with volunteer help.
Generally good paddock areas,good spectating places,refreshments quite good and I like the little bar for a welcome beer at the end of the day.
If you are lucky,they also have very interesting prizes which change each year.
Lister
Old 20 Nov 2004, 20:09 (Ref:1159435)   #3
wi11iamm
Racer

England
Worcester
wi11iamm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I havent driven Jersey and Guernsey, I believe Doune and Craigantlet are the best hillclimbs in the UK from a drivers point of view. The first section of Doune feels like a rollercoaster, and the G-force felt through the double right hander on the Meadow is incredible.

Craigantlet is also a great hillclimb with a slow, technical section before the crossing, after this you can really let the car flow with the wide road and the penultimate corner is one of the best in the UK. You really have to commit to carry the speed round the final corner and onto the finishing straight.

Out of the midland hills, they are all good. The same skills and bravery are needed to hold it flat round crossing at Shelsley, going into the esses at Prescott and up the "straight" at Loton.

Last edited by wi11iamm; 20 Nov 2004 at 20:10.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 22:25 (Ref:1159530)   #4
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me it is Barbon Manor, Just because it is so narrow
Old 20 Nov 2004, 23:49 (Ref:1159574)   #5
Andrew Gunnell
Racer

United Kingdom
stratford-upon-avon
Andrew Gunnell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have only been to Prescott and Shelsley. I like Shelsley best because the history and atmosphere.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:05 (Ref:1159654)   #6
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats my boy Andrew. You'll go far you will.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 00:38 (Ref:1160392)   #7
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Porlock, nothing comes near it for the length and the succession of blind bends that really test your commitment. Oddicombe, 'cos it's really narrow and the edges are very hard so you need to be ultra-precise. Wiscombe, for the setting and the atmosphere, on a good English summer's day it is perfection.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 12:55 (Ref:1160773)   #8
Cameron Winton
Racer

Cameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCameron Winton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Being Scottish, I am biased towards Doune. A hill of two halves. Bottom half is all about bravery and maintaining speed/momentum. Maybe easier up to Junction but into East Brae is a real test of judgement
It's a place you get obsessive about. Little room for error - Even Jr has had offs
Been to Shelsey to watch and for atmosphere, I don't see many places beating it due to history etc
Old 22 Nov 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1160828)   #9
Mike Holmes
Racer

United Kingdom
Peterborough
Mike Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prescott! cos when I were a lad we lived in Cheltenham and I used to cycle there to be a paddock marshal, then later hill marshal and when I finally built a car it was my first competitive event. You never know one day I might go back with the midget!
Old 22 Nov 2004, 22:39 (Ref:1161301)   #10
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At last people are standing up for and justifying their favourite hills. I, only recently, and others in the past have felt a little lonely in declaring that SW is/was the best in the hope that there would be a response.
Old 22 Nov 2004, 23:40 (Ref:1161340)   #11
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
my favorite is loton park then prescott and third is gurston
Old 23 Nov 2004, 00:26 (Ref:1161379)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What I like about hills is the differing characters of each. To a certain extent, circuits are quite similar now that they're mostly scarred with gravel traps, but no two hills are really alike.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 20:55 (Ref:1162110)   #13
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Woolley
but no two hills are really alike.
I hate to differ but...............

so many of them are!

Good Competition;
Good Company (Drivers, Officials and Marshals etc);
Good Facilities;

and you're asking me to choose ?

Suffice to say, if it's a Hillclimb, then it has every chance of having all the above and maybe even more!!

What more could anyone want from their chosen hobby??

But i must choose as that is the point of the thread so......

in no particular order but with reasons, here are mine....

Viewing: Prescott
Awesome: Shelsley
Technically: Loton
Facilities: Prescott (Drivers and Marshals)
Hospitality to newcomers: Gurston
Saturday Party: Harewood
How the F*** do they Drive THAT???? : Doune!!!

so my favourite would have to be....

to be continued!!!!!
Old 23 Nov 2004, 22:14 (Ref:1162198)   #14
telfire
Rookie

United Kingdom
Winchester hants
telfire should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
THE best hillclimb IS Gurston. Very fast downhill start. Great team of marshalls. Good showers and Bar. The August BBQ is damn good as well.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 22:32 (Ref:1162219)   #15
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think,.........errr,,..

Doune.

More to follow, but I like Stuart's thread. If we could add spectators viewpoints, press viewpoints, quality of program and content. Quality of the PA and commentators, timings access and reports, and Internet reports. WHAT THE BAR is like.
Then we could start to score them.........

Bet that would meet with a few competitive comments......

Richard.

Last edited by mcb666; 23 Nov 2004 at 22:39.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 22:35 (Ref:1162227)   #16
mcb666
Racer

mcb666 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dear Stuart,
can I borrow 50 of your posts.
And then I can get into Parc flermae and arrange a beer.

McB

(My other personality).
Old 23 Nov 2004, 23:41 (Ref:1162295)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Go to Trackside - it's the designated place for such a thing, and you don't need any posts. Then just mention in here there's a thread going on so it keeps popping up on the new posts listing.

Stuart is right, the spirit is the same at all climbs even if the track is different. So much good company wherever you go.
Old 23 Nov 2004, 23:48 (Ref:1162300)   #18
bwatt
Rookie

bwatt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are we allowed to nominate venues which no longer exist ?.

If so, great though Shelsley, Prescott & Loton are, I'd like to nominate Great Auclum.

Challenging course, totally informal, excellent beer, delightfully idiosyncratic - but sadly hasn't been held for some thirty years now, and the site is surrounded by houses.

Now I've made myself feel old....
Old 24 Nov 2004, 10:22 (Ref:1162619)   #19
Ntrprise
Rookie

Ntrprise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will hopefully get my national B license late next year. In the meantime, I'd very much like to participate in other motorsport. A friend of mine mention that some Hill Climb events do not require a racing license as you are not "rubbing wheels" with other people.... He also mentioned that it is common for 2 people to share 1 car without too much complications? Are these 2 points true?

Can anyone point me in the right direct of where I can get started in Hill Climbs?

Thanks
Dan
Old 24 Nov 2004, 13:59 (Ref:1162778)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Originally posted by bwatt
Are we allowed to nominate venues which no longer exist ?
Of course.
Old 24 Nov 2004, 14:52 (Ref:1162811)   #21
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
>>>A friend of mine mention that some Hill Climb events do not require a racing license as you are not "rubbing wheels" with other people.... He also mentioned that it is common for 2 people to share 1 car without too much complications? Are these 2 points true?

===Dan, you need a 'Non-race' licence instead. About 28 quid and no medical. And yes many allow double-entered cars, it depends on the ability of the venue to get cars back down to the start between runs, either a return road or they stop the hill and send 'em back in batches. Entry form usually states whether double entry allowed or not.
Definitely recommend you try it before racing, helps a lot with car control and confidence etc.
HTH.
Old 24 Nov 2004, 14:57 (Ref:1162814)   #22
Ntrprise
Rookie

Ntrprise should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks MGDavid - I notice you are in Berkshire. I spend most weekends in Staines which is not too far away. Can you recommend any local clubs that I can tag along with and perhaps just spectate at to begin with?
Old 24 Nov 2004, 15:56 (Ref:1162860)   #23
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dan - some useful information, and a list of hillclimb/sprint (hillclimb on the flat!) venues at http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/ian.cro...t/sprints.html

Not quite sure where Berks is (!) but most hillclimbs are in the SW or North - Loton might be your nearest - just over the Welsh border. There's probably some sprints nearer.

My favourite hillclimb: Wiscombe, but it's so damn far! Is Porlock still going - I hadn't heard anything about for a few years - always fancied doing it - can anyone point me to the organisers website?
Old 24 Nov 2004, 18:15 (Ref:1163001)   #24
Fireblade
Racer

Fireblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Loton is not quite over the Welsh border, graeme.
It is just still in England although Loton Parks boundary xtends to the Welsh border.

Nice place, home of Sir Michael Leighton who leases the track to Hagley and District Light Car Club who took the the venue on from the Severn Valley Car Club in 1970 and have run events there ever since. They offer a wide range of events for all levels and are active from April though to September.

Hagley also run a members class at National B level and that is well worth the membership alone. They are also one of the cheaper clubs to join. I think it is somewhere around £25 PA.
A bargain really when compared to membership subs for Bugatti Owners(Prescott) and MAC(Shelsley)
Old 24 Nov 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1163147)   #25
keith h
Rookie

keith h should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Woz that an allard 36 inch cut 12 horse power with roller?