Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 29 Nov 2014, 04:53 (Ref:3479808)   #1
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thank You, George

I hope this doesn't get removed by the Mods because I really feel that Mr George Copeland deserves a public "thank you" for his sterling services to the BMMC, rather than just a private e-mail. And that is what it is meant for and not to canvass or anything regarding his successor.

So: THANK YOU George for all that you have done and not only for the Club. We've always felt that things were in good hands money-wise and when, like us, you "just belong" to a club, it is reassuring to know that things are being looked after for your benefit.

I may have been a "taxman" for years but I never did understand accounts and money. Just as well I was working in the IT department then! (Not that I understand IT either.)

We are proud possessors of "that book". And Bill is in it (more or less) using my (ex)flags!

I may not know what I'll be doing next year but I hope we'll bump into George at somewhere like Curburough.

All the best, my dear.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 10:02 (Ref:3479858)   #2
Richard Duvall
Racer

England
Rochford
Richard Duvall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've not known you George, but I'll willingly add my thanks for all you've done for so long in such an important role.

I too worked in the taxman's IT department, but I don't think I ever knew Shelagh either!
Old 29 Nov 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3479885)   #3
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Duvall View Post
I too worked in the taxman's IT department, but I don't think I ever knew Shelagh either!
It was BMSD when I joined but morphed into IMS. I was based in Telford from 1997. I add that I was a Business Analyst so nothing to do with writing code - but now you know why no government IT stuff works! And, again, why I kept out of the running of the club!
Old 29 Nov 2014, 13:51 (Ref:3479911)   #4
Chris Hobson
Veteran

Chris Hobson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sure I peak for many of our members.
Over the past 35 years George has done a massive amount for the club, and has been supported by his wife, June. Without him we probably would not exist now, since the Club was almost bankrupt when he took over the job of Treasurer and now we have reserves capable of seeing us through any financial crisis. He also made massive contributions in many other ways.

Going forward the National Council will try to ensure we continue to thrive and grow

I wish him luck and good health his retirement.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3479930)   #5
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hobson View Post
I am sure I speak for many of our members. Over the past 35 years George has done a massive amount for the club, and has been supported by his wife, June. Without him we probably would not exist now, since the Club was almost bankrupt when he took over the job of Treasurer and now we have reserves capable of seeing us through any financial crisis. He also made massive contributions in many other ways. Going forward the National Council will try to ensure we continue to thrive and grow. I wish him luck and good health his retirement.
I also have know George for a wee-while [perhaps not 35 years ], and for a period worked alongside him on Nat. Council.

So, may I add my thanks to him for all the sterling work he did over the years, his retirement will be BMMCs loss.

Good luck to his successor,

But don't care.
Old 29 Nov 2014, 20:45 (Ref:3479999)   #6
NotLordPercy
Racer

NotLordPercy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drink

May I add my thanks to George ( and June) for resurrecting our club when it was in dire straits. Very best wishes George .....for a Scot and an accountant you are great bloke to know with a mischievous sense of humour.
Hope you have plenty of time to relish your view of Pompey and I hope to meet up again at a circuit next year.
Thanks George!!
Old 30 Nov 2014, 10:52 (Ref:3480198)   #7
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I echo all the above and have always thought that George had the best interests of the club at heart. (Even when we disagreed over something!) His unwillingness to let an issue go when he thought that it was in the club's best interests has delivered many good things for us.

Hope to see you around George.

Best wishes

Jim
Old 1 Dec 2014, 10:19 (Ref:3480678)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I first met George, and June a few years ago at their house. I was on t'committee in the NW and we had a meeting for some reason or another at the Copeland residence.
An instantly likeable fella and incredibly knowledgeable about our wonderful sport. June looked after my wife with tea and cake whist we dealt with Club matters.
George, Thankyou for all your hard work, time and dedication to THE Marshals Club and I wish you all the best for a happy retirement
Old 1 Dec 2014, 13:15 (Ref:3480726)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
I hope this doesn't get removed by the Mods
Wouldn't dream of such a thing.

Quote:
I really feel that Mr George Copeland deserves a public "thank you" for his sterling services to the BMMC
Couldn't agree more.
Old 1 Dec 2014, 18:32 (Ref:3480821)   #10
thepits!
Veteran

England
England
thepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthepits! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hope this doesn't get removed by the Mods
They wouldn't dare!

But don't care.