Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Mar 2018, 08:42 (Ref:3804833)   #326
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
To build it two weeks earlier would not pose that much of an issue I wouldn't think. Plus side, is having the F1 circus and it's multi million dollar people hanging around for two more weeks in and around the city of Melbourne. That has got to be beneficial for Melbourne's (and the state's) economy I would think.
Not quite sure that would be as beneficial as you put here.

2 more weeks of disruption for the city.
The majority of the multi-million dollar people will still only be there for the race weekend.
Loss of attractiveness for everyone else who wants to visit Melbourne and isn't interested in F1.

There's a reason most temporary installations in cities (not just F1) are kept to the minimal time possible.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 09:32 (Ref:3804845)   #327
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Not quite sure it will have the effect you think it would have. Have you been to Melbourne, and Albert Park in particular?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
2 more weeks of disruption for the city.
Albert Park is not in the "city" per se. It is 5km from the start of the CBD of Melbourne. It's a park, with a lake, with a road around it. Isolated from the major roads in and out of the "city". The GP is not a major disruption (if it is at all) to the city of Melbourne's business district. A disruption yes, but it's not a major impact.

Quote:
The majority of the multi-million dollar people will still only be there for the race weekend.
Yes, but still a fair chunk of the "rich and famous" F1 circus will be in town. The drivers in particular. If the testing was two weeks prior to the GP, maybe the overseas F1 fans would arrive early and stay longer.. perhaps(??)

Quote:
Loss of attractiveness for everyone else who wants to visit Melbourne and isn't interested in F1.
Again, see first reply. I'll also add that Albert Park is not really a "major tourist attraction" for someone visiting Melbourne. There are tonnes of other things to see and do in Melbourne than visit Albert Park.

Quote:
There's a reason most temporary installations in cities (not just F1) are kept to the minimal time possible.
And again, see previous replies. Enough said on this.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 10:01 (Ref:3804853)   #328
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Been a long time since we saw F1 cars run in the rain at Barcelona. It may be always cold, but it also seems to always be sunny too
Old 1 Mar 2018, 10:22 (Ref:3804865)   #329
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
. OK I surrender! The fastest thing I’ve driven round there is a ‘79 FF2000, and that managed OK.

Agree about the poor standard of construction though....
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
You can resurface Algarve as much as you want but it won’t address the shoddy building standards originally used with poor foundations.

Resurface today, ridiculously bumpy again tomorrow. Very little single seater action there as the teams just don’t want to go due to floor damage etc.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 10:42 (Ref:3804870)   #330
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Yes, but still a fair chunk of the "rich and famous" F1 circus will be in town. The drivers in particular. If the testing was two weeks prior to the GP, maybe the overseas F1 fans would arrive early and stay longer.. perhaps(??)
it won’t ever be a thing. again, the teams have duplicate crews at tests - the night shift is more than a bunch of spanners as well. testing means bringing updates, trying stuff and fixing it with duct tape until a modified version works through the system. if it takes a solid 20-24 hours for a member of staff to fly over with those new parts then it makes the process that much messier. anything that would happen in testing would be very hard for them to react to and solve before the grand prix. not only that, you’ve got the second car working through the factory that needs to be built whilst the support mechanics are working the night shift at testing...

and no, as an overseas fan who did the aus gp last year, i wouldn’t go over earlier. your average person has four weeks leave a year from work in europe at least, and you need two of those to visit the grand prix already.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 12:08 (Ref:3804886)   #331
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
. OK I surrender! The fastest thing I’ve driven round there is a ‘79 FF2000, and that managed OK.

Agree about the poor standard of construction though....
Cheers, you are at 40mm and quite sift, so should be ok. Modern, super-stiff stuff not so much.
Old 1 Mar 2018, 20:48 (Ref:3805018)   #332
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
McLaren tops the lap charts with 161 laps on day 4!
Old 1 Mar 2018, 23:32 (Ref:3805063)   #333
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Not quite sure it will have the effect you think it would have. Have you been to Melbourne, and Albert Park in particular?

Albert Park is not in the "city" per se. It is 5km from the start of the CBD of Melbourne. It's a park, with a lake, with a road around it. Isolated from the major roads in and out of the "city". The GP is not a major disruption (if it is at all) to the city of Melbourne's business district. A disruption yes, but it's not a major impact.

Again, see first reply. I'll also add that Albert Park is not really a "major tourist attraction" for someone visiting Melbourne. There are tonnes of other things to see and do in Melbourne than visit Albert Park.

And again, see previous replies. Enough said on this.
I'm not entirely sure you've been to the race or the city yourself but that's fine if you haven't.

It's right on the edge of the city, and the traffic is heavily affected by the race -I've been there many times, and am about to move there permanently. When the race is on, the already bumper-to-bumper traffic is worsened. There are lane restrictions, speed restrictions and peak hour is even more of a headache than it currently is. It would be a nightmare.

Albert Park is also hugely popular on a daily basis for cyclists, runners and walkers.

You've also got the pesky "Save Albert Park" hippies lobbying to have the race shut down. Every. Single. Year.

I really like the idea of the test in Melbourne - for selfish reasons as well - but logistically, it will be impossible.
Old 2 Mar 2018, 01:17 (Ref:3805076)   #334
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I'm not entirely sure you've been to the race or the city yourself but that's fine if you haven't.
Only to every Melbourne GP since 1996. Also have friends in and around the city of Melbourne. Have spent a lot of time in Melbourne before, and after the GP. Know the city well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
I really like the idea of the test in Melbourne - for selfish reasons as well - but logistically, it will be impossible.
Same reasons as me then!
Old 2 Mar 2018, 02:28 (Ref:3805087)   #335
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
McLaren tops the lap charts with 161 laps on day 4!
Thats more than they managed in the whole of last season..
Old 2 Mar 2018, 03:40 (Ref:3805098)   #336
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
Thats more than they managed in the whole of last season..
Beat me to posting something similar!
Old 2 Mar 2018, 11:17 (Ref:3805186)   #337
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting that all three Renault teams are a long way adrift at the bottom of the speed traps so it looks like they weren't joking when they said they were going to run detuned for reliability at the first test.
Old 3 Mar 2018, 21:57 (Ref:3805523)   #338
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Interesting that all three Renault teams are a long way adrift at the bottom of the speed traps so it looks like they weren't joking when they said they were going to run detuned for reliability at the first test.
Noticed that too. And the Honda was amongst the fastest. Wonder how ‘turned down’ the Renault is, and how much downforce the TR is lacking.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 01:11 (Ref:3805602)   #339
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdown View Post
Noticed that too. And the Honda was amongst the fastest. Wonder how ‘turned down’ the Renault is, and how much downforce the TR is lacking.
It's all sounding a bit like bop and sandbagging before Le Mans.
Old 4 Mar 2018, 09:54 (Ref:3805666)   #340
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well according to Sainz, he hasn't felt he has properly started testing yet
Old 6 Mar 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3806173)   #341
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
2nd test underway. And you'd never guess which car has caused the first red flag.

Yep, the McLaren. Stopped on the start/finish straight.

Old 6 Mar 2018, 17:23 (Ref:3806305)   #342
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
2nd test underway. And you'd never guess which car has caused the first red flag.

Yep, the McLaren. Stopped on the start/finish straight.

it actualy stopped 3 times today and only did 38 laps(setting a time slower than Ericsson in the Sauber)

Renault did 137 laps, Red Bull did 130 laps with the same engine............

1. Vettel Ferrari SF71H 1:20.396 171
2. Bottas Mercedes W09 1:20.596 +0.200 86
3. Verstappen Red Bull Racing RB14 1:20.649 +0.253 130
4. Hamilton Mercedes W09 1:20.808 +0.412 91
5. Gasly Toro Rosso STR13 1:20.973 +0.577 54
6. Magnussen Haas F1 VF-18 1:21.298 +0.902 96
7. Hülkenberg Renault RS18 1:21.432 +1.036 48
8. Sainz jr Renault RS18 1:21.455 +1.059 91
9. Sirotkin Williams FW41 1:21.588 +1.192 42
10. Perez Force India VJM11 1:21.643 +1.247 93
11. Ericsson Sauber C37 1:21.706 +1.310 120
12. Vandoorne McLaren MCL33 1:21.946 +1.550 38
13. Stroll Williams FW41 1:22.937 +2.541 86
Old 6 Mar 2018, 17:47 (Ref:3806313)   #343
AdrianM
Racer

Only silver lining for McLaren is at least there are two other teams putting the miles on the same engine unlike the last three seasons.

Does look like they've got some packaging issues though as it's still cooking the bodywork despite more holes being cut in it.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 18:19 (Ref:3806323)   #344
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Only silver lining for McLaren is at least there are two other teams putting the miles on the same engine unlike the last three seasons.

Does look like they've got some packaging issues though as it's still cooking the bodywork despite more holes being cut in it.

And Toro Rosso seems to have a lot less problems with the Honda
Old 6 Mar 2018, 19:19 (Ref:3806334)   #345
AdrianM
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
And Toro Rosso seems to have a lot less problems with the Honda
Torro Rosso were stopped for pretty much the whole afternoon session though.
Old 6 Mar 2018, 19:42 (Ref:3806339)   #346
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Quote:
Torro Rosso were stopped for pretty much the whole afternoon session though.
they had problems with the brake system
Old 6 Mar 2018, 20:51 (Ref:3806355)   #347
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
The curse of Alonso continues?
Old 6 Mar 2018, 23:00 (Ref:3806378)   #348
S griffin
Veteran

I just hope this isn't a permanent decline for McLaren, as they just seemed to have lost their way. Whether it's anything to do with the management, as they have never been successful, I'm not going to speculate. I can see them struggling this season, but I hope they turn it round to run at the front more often than not
Old 7 Mar 2018, 09:42 (Ref:3806531)   #349
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Is the car quick?
Old 7 Mar 2018, 10:15 (Ref:3806537)   #350
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
First red flag for day 2 of test 2.

Guess which car?

Smoke pouring out from engine area and air intake.