Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 16 Jun 2013, 00:39 (Ref:3263223)   #1
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
General Indycar and American motorsport talk-Topics not worth starting a thread over

Inspired by bjohnsonsmith's attempt to keep control of the Indycar News & Rumors thread, I thought I'd start this thread. A thread to soak up the spillage of other derailed threads. Maybe, somewhere to express a random thought "Paul Tracy driving into on coming traffic at San Jose proves that he's the dumbest person in motorsport".
Old 16 Jun 2013, 00:45 (Ref:3263225)   #2
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Ok, so I'll start. I just want to make another attempt to make this clear. NASCAR is not a "niche" series. Even in the days when it was a clear second to Indy racing (pretty much up until the last 10-15 years), it was still clearly big enough that it was not niche. It may've been secondary to Indy racing, but it was not niche. It was an incorrect word to use.

In response to Matt on the other thread

Quote:
I think myself, as a resident of the USA, would know a bit more about the US sporting imagine than you, as an Australian.
In theory, that would be true. Hence, I asked "Don't want to expand on that?
Old 16 Jun 2013, 00:53 (Ref:3263227)   #3
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Yes, I understand that NASCAR is the leading motorsport comp in America atm, and consumes all the mainstream motorsport attention over there. Historically though, this has only just happened. The whole of American motorsport has revolved around the Indy 500 (even to some degree, nascar). While it may be in the background atm, this can change suddenly. But what has to happen to get it to the forefront, we don't know. Now, if some of you still want to get annoyed over the use of "niche", then go ahead, I have explained myself.
Old 19 Jun 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3264925)   #4
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Canadian Motor Speedway has finally been approved by the Ontario Municipal Board, so legal challenges for the group are over as they build what looks to be a fantastic facility based on the AECON renderings (excuse the cheesy music/sound effects)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1dUp...ature=youtu.be

Hopefully we will see some open wheel racing here in 2015
Old 19 Jun 2013, 18:11 (Ref:3265015)   #5
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there more info about the oval somewhere, apart from it being of 1 mile in length? How steep is the banking?

Here's hoping the research groups currently busy with improving the fencing will have come up with something in time for building it at the Fort Erie track (cannot call it Ontario Speedway, can you? ;-)

The standalone road course is fine, too, but the roval, does not look too good, to be honest.

Thanks for keeping us updated on this recent development. This venue should be on IndyCar's wish list, especially since they have been looking for a 2nd Canadian location ever since the Edmonton deal ended.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 19:14 (Ref:3269089)   #6
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this might be suitable for this thread (mods please move if it's better elsewhere): Speed Energy Stadium Super Trucks announced for the Honda Indy Toronto weekend.

http://www.hondaindytoronto.com/more...-2013-schedule

According to my sources, they will be on the track, rather than the more obvious venue of BMO Field. Presumably there is no plan to dump 1,000,000 tons of dirt on the track first.

Schedule has them immediately after race #1 and immediately before race #2:
http://www.hondaindytoronto.com/117-schedule-of-events

I really do not know what to make of this. But I will take some photos anyway, just for giggles.

Last edited by rwintle; 24 Jun 2013 at 19:16. Reason: clarifying... sort of
Old 24 Jun 2013, 19:24 (Ref:3269094)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds more fun than the rickshaw race they had at Milwaukee!
Old 8 Jul 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3275456)   #8
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Update - there will be temporary (metal) jumps on the track in some places (the start-finish straight was specifically mentioned in the meeting I was at). They used these at Long Beach, too.

A quick YouTube search reveals some videos. May be highly entertaining.
Old 16 Jul 2013, 16:28 (Ref:3278427)   #9
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Update - it was HILARIOUS! I didn't meet a single person who didn't enjoy it. Loads of fun, I'd be happy if they come back next year.

Boing!

Big Air - Stadium Super Trucks in Toronto by Richard Wintle, on Flickr
Old 14 Aug 2013, 11:44 (Ref:3289652)   #10
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Sounds more fun than the rickshaw race they had at Milwaukee!
Rickshaw racing, that could be interesting.
Old 14 Aug 2013, 13:03 (Ref:3289692)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
What You Can Expect with the Unfortunate Demise of SPEED

(It's dark comedy)