Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 28 Sep 2014, 09:06 (Ref:3458277)   #1
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Janner Rally

Hi all - I'm thinking of going to the Janner Rally in January 2015 - does anyone have any tips? Being Australian I've never driven in ice or snow and I drive on the other side of the road, so it would be handy if they had shuttle buses or whatnot. If anyone knows what spectator services they have, tours or any general hints or tips, it would be great.

I've heard it is a great rally to go and see!

Thanks
Old 28 Sep 2014, 19:21 (Ref:3458421)   #2
Vepe
Rookie

Finland
Vepe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptkablamo View Post
Hi all - I'm thinking of going to the Janner Rally in January 2015 - does anyone have any tips? Being Australian I've never driven in ice or snow and I drive on the other side of the road, so it would be handy if they had shuttle buses or whatnot. If anyone knows what spectator services they have, tours or any general hints or tips, it would be great.

I've heard it is a great rally to go and see!

Thanks
I can't really help regarding the rally itself, but some advice for driving in the winter...

The most important thing is that you really have to pay attention to the road and not drive too fast (some times the limit is way too fast). Since you'll be driving on unfamiliar roads, don't hesitate to lower your speed before a corner.

Other important thing is tyres. I don't know if studded tyres are allowed in Austria (they aren't in Germany, so might be the same in Austria), but if they are, get a car that has them.

Third important thing might sound funny: know where to drive. This doesn't mean there are regions or roads you should avoid, but where to position your car on the road. And the answer is: on a layer of snow, if there is one (I don't know how well salted the roads in Austria are). Driving on snow is fairly similar to driving on gravel and million times better than driving on ice.

What to look out for
  • Differences in grip
The level of grip may vary a lot. And I mean that. You may end up driving on a road where half of your car is on ice and half on snow, which means when you brake hard, the car might snap sideways.

• Ice
Some ice you can see, so you know to try and avoid it. Unfortunately, some ice you can't see. In Finland this is called "musta jää" (black ice). Despite the name, it's complety clear, so you don't see it.

• Supercooled water
This is one thing that can leave you on the side of the road if your car doesn't have working windshield heater. It's water that's below freezing point, but is still liquid. That doesn't sound like much, but as soon as it hits a surface, it freezes.

A good idea is to have sime sort of emergency pack with you in the car, in case you get stranded. At minimum it should have something to keep you warm, like blankets or extra clothing. A shovel is a good addition. Also it is extremely important to keep your phones charged.
Old 30 Sep 2014, 10:50 (Ref:3458841)   #3
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is great advice - thanks for the post, I really appreciate it.