Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 25 Aug 2017, 19:20 (Ref:3761584)   #2801
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
D'you think there's money to be made in creating 'barn finds'? New business oportunity! Need some bats, few chickens, and of course a building full of 4 legged rodents.....
I have to admit that I sometimes wonder if there might be.

Reading the auction blurb for that one - clearly no one wanted it in its early life. Even the first owner, Enzo's mate, only kept it for year.

For an apparently very unique Ferrari ... why was that?
Old 25 Aug 2017, 19:32 (Ref:3761586)   #2802
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm. Caveat Emptor...
Old 25 Aug 2017, 19:38 (Ref:3761588)   #2803
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I had a very dear friend who died from lung cancer 24 years ago now . He was a great bloke very cleaver spoke fluent French and one of these top business company directors. Anyway when he was in hospital and of corse this is long before internet . Anyway he said what we needed to do was put an advert in every local paper offering garage clear out services. Never did follow that idea up . Cest la vie
Old 28 Aug 2017, 06:31 (Ref:3762226)   #2804
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Appears that Tornado (locomotive, not the Texas thing) is passing though here today en route to Gt Yarmouth, on a day excursion from Londinium. D'you think I can find a timetable anywhere? No!

Possibly because during another excursion progress was disrupted by photographers standing on the line....

Old 28 Aug 2017, 08:59 (Ref:3762262)   #2805
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Appears that Tornado (locomotive, not the Texas thing) is passing though here today en route to Gt Yarmouth, on a day excursion from Londinium. D'you think I can find a timetable anywhere? No!

Possibly because during another excursion progress was disrupted by photographers standing on the line....

This has been the case, now, for a few months and applies to all major runs of special steam loco runs, such as the Flying Scotsman.

This is indicative of what we, as a society, have become; everything revolves around one's self. We have become, as a generalisation, selfish and self-obsessed, and we don't care what inconvenience we cause because we want to take a selfie. See the theme.

What you highlight is not real photographers who have all the equipment that means that they don't have to impede the movement of the train, but people who try to get to close to the action because they only have the camera in their phones, and many of them feel driven to include their own image in the picture.

They do not, for one second, consider the consequences of their actions, and nor do they care about how such actions may inconvenience many thousands of other people. They just don't realise that steam locos cannot stop as quickly as their more modern counterparts can, and they certainly have no idea that the steam loco cannot get up to speed in the same way a diesel or electric train can.

By the way, the "we" in the above, I am quite certain, does not include any of us. It's them others that I am ranting on about.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 09:26 (Ref:3762267)   #2806
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Try UKsteam info and click on steam tours, you will find all steam excursions there.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 13:34 (Ref:3762335)   #2807
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks, found it! The sneaky lot went through while I was home for lunch. If I'd been at the workshop it would have passed right behind.... Return journey scheduled to go through Attleborough circa 1830hrs, so another chance yet!

According to the blurb, after arrival at GT Yarmouth, the train then had to reverse all the way back to Norwich, swap the engine to the other end, and then do the same back to the coast ready for the return. No turntable..... Guess it gave enthusiasts the chance to look at Norwich though!
Old 28 Aug 2017, 14:04 (Ref:3762340)   #2808
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is Lewis now "someone special," in F1? Is he a dominant personality in the sport? At some point driver's achievements propel them beyond just being great competitors, etching themselves into their generation. Nuvolari, Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Senna, and Schumacher all left their marks in the sands of time. Has Hamilton joined that club?
Old 28 Aug 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3762346)   #2809
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Thanks, found it! The sneaky lot went through while I was home for lunch. If I'd been at the workshop it would have passed right behind.... Return journey scheduled to go through Attleborough circa 1830hrs, so another chance yet!

According to the blurb, after arrival at GT Yarmouth, the train then had to reverse all the way back to Norwich, swap the engine to the other end, and then do the same back to the coast ready for the return. No turntable..... Guess it gave enthusiasts the chance to look at Norwich though!
Are there many Norwich enthusiasts?
Old 28 Aug 2017, 14:47 (Ref:3762347)   #2810
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by owrforever View Post
Is Lewis now "someone special," in F1? Is he a dominant personality in the sport? At some point driver's achievements propel them beyond just being great competitors, etching themselves into their generation. Nuvolari, Fangio, Clark, Stewart, Senna, and Schumacher all left their marks in the sands of time. Has Hamilton joined that club?
I don't think so, but the does rank alongside, Mickey Mouse, Goofy, Ronald McDonald, Bozo The Clown,

Last edited by Mike Bell; 28 Aug 2017 at 19:29. Reason: Deletion of comment that could be perceived as racist.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3762398)   #2811
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So I guess performance and results don't necessarily translate. What would you have to see?
Old 28 Aug 2017, 18:10 (Ref:3762400)   #2812
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Are there many Norwich enthusiasts?
Yes!! I'll admit I'm biased, being a Freeman of the City (& we are celebrating 700 Years this year). but it's not known as 'A Fine City' for nothing.

You need to get on your bike & go & see for yourself, Bob.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 18:11 (Ref:3762401)   #2813
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You can take it Our Bauble isn't a fan of Stevenage's finest...

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 28 Aug 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3762402)   #2814
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by owrforever View Post
So I guess performance and results don't necessarily translate. What would you have to see?
I quite like him and I don't know what people don't like about him.
He's won a lot of races and although he might well have the best of the F1 teams behind him he has still got to come up with the goods when under pressure.

Don't forget he is in a different era to some of the old champions, I can remember most as far back into the 50s that have only won a lot less races than Lewis and fewer championships
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Aug 2017, 18:31 (Ref:3762404)   #2815
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Simple; he's just not a very nice person, either when racing or in civvies.

And I speak as one who really admired him when he first joined McLaren; I thought that he was a breath of fresh air. But slowly, but not always that slowly, his real personality has been revealed out over time.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 18:41 (Ref:3762407)   #2816
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
He's won a lot of races and although he might well have the best of the F1 teams behind him he has still got to come up with the goods when under pressure.

Don't forget he is in a different era to some of the old champions, I can remember most as far back into the 50s that have only won a lot less races than Lewis and fewer championships
I'm with you Gordon - having not liked the precocious young Lewis, I've grown to like & respect him. His personal life is not for me but we aren't all the same. Nevertheless, I think he is pretty sincere & genuine & I like his driving - certainly one of the most entertaining drivers. Does anyone ever remember anything about any of Vettel's drives other than his red mist tantrum moments?

Anyway, this isn't the F1 section, is it?
Old 28 Aug 2017, 18:58 (Ref:3762413)   #2817
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
Progressing neatly from Hamilton, a former karter, to an area of the sport about which I knew nothing until this weekend. There was an FFSA Championship meeting at Croix this weekend & a Dutch lady racer called Priscilla Sleeman stayed at our village hostelry together with her boyfriend/engineer & father/manager. Getting acquainted with them on Friday evening led to a pass for the weekend & two very enjoyable days back with real racing people after an all too-long absence.

Those of you more familiar with karting may know of Priscilla, & that she is a real talent. This was only her second week-end with a 250 Superkart & had never seen Croix before but was one of the quickest right from testing & after 5th & 3rd-place finishes, came second to the European short-circuit champion in the Final, in what was some competitive racing in blistering temperatures, so she's certainly a bit of a talent. Races cars too, having done a fair bit of Dutch Supercars stuff. Certainly a name to look out for.

Got quite hooked on karting; the modern ones are impressive bits of kit & quite a contrast with the Historic Legends karts from England that were also present.

Incidentally Mike, one of the Dutch guys I met will be a steward at the Zandvoort Festival next weekend, so he now knows to keep an eye on the Masters Sports Cars - he was quite shocked when I told him about the Silverstone race - "What, all those Lola's & Chevron's and things? Incredible!

...and in passing, he couldn't remember ever having met Iain!
Old 28 Aug 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3762417)   #2818
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Simple; he's just not a very nice person, either when racing or in civvies.

And I speak as one who really admired him when he first joined McLaren; I thought that he was a breath of fresh air. But slowly, but not always that slowly, his real personality has been revealed out over time.
Have you actually met him and spoken to him personally? I have and he came across as a "normal" bloke to me. the media can show good and bad about anyone and let's face it most front runners are not exactly "choir boys" !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 28 Aug 2017, 19:22 (Ref:3762427)   #2819
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Err, before this thread becomes a repeat of several in the F1 forum....

Found a suitable viewpoint between w/shop and home to watch Tornado, but funnily enough it was late. Perhaps Abellio were running it....

I'd forgotten that when they did the speed tests earlier this year there was a diesel loco where you'd have seen a guards van in the old days. Same today, but guess it would have been used to tow the whole train back to Thorpe to be turned round.

Fantastic sight, but much less steam and smoke than was expecting! Definitely worth a delayed supper.
Old 28 Aug 2017, 19:26 (Ref:3762431)   #2820
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Elwin View Post
Incidentally Mike, one of the Dutch guys I met will be a steward at the Zandvoort Festival next weekend, so he now knows to keep an eye on the Masters Sports Cars - he was quite shocked when I told him about the Silverstone race - "What, all those Lola's & Chevron's and things? Incredible!

...and in passing, he couldn't remember ever having met Iain!
If he had, he'd remember....
Old 28 Aug 2017, 22:59 (Ref:3762482)   #2821
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Managed to get through the whole Gold Cup meeting this weekend without any visits to our Official friends . It's was nice to catch up with Richard and meet his lovely wife and also Malcombe and Mrs . We got home in 3 hours 30 min . Best drive I had all weekend .
Old 29 Aug 2017, 06:38 (Ref:3762528)   #2822
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
I would have put money on you having a crap journey home, so glad I didn't! (And glad you didn't...)

My phone vid I took of the Tornado yesterday was crap, however, found this on utube, taken just the Norwich side of my workshop. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nN1ZCug9okw

Spooner Row is a 'request stop' station, along with Harling Road and Eccles Road near Snetterton. I believe that was the station used by spectators in the days when rail was a popular way to go motor racing. From the station, I'm told it then required a walk through a pig farm to reach the circuit entrance....

Spooner Row is also where my RS1600 lived for 25 years with it's previous owner. Now 40 years in the same area....
Old 29 Aug 2017, 08:10 (Ref:3762545)   #2823
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
>>>>I would have put money on you having a crap journey home, so glad I didn't! (And glad you didn't...)

I was expecting that too, so it was with trepidation I hit the A303 west on Friday, east on Sunday and into south Wales and back along the M4 Monday. No problems whatsoever apart from 5 minutes through the Bryn Glas Tunnels Monday evening, but that's not unusual. The traffic news had been buzzing with dire warnings all weekend but thankfully it appears to have come to nought on my routes anyway.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 29 Aug 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3762550)   #2824
Riley Blue
Rookie

England
Derbyshire
Riley Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For steam engine fans - and who isn't - and especially for those chasing Tornado, it'll be at Barrow Hill Roundhouse together with Flying Scotsman towards the end of September:

https://www.a1steam.com/2017/08/11/t...ll-re-opening/
Old 29 Aug 2017, 10:13 (Ref:3762568)   #2825
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
>>>>I would have put money on you having a crap journey home, so glad I didn't! (And glad you didn't...)
I was expecting that too, so it was with trepidation I hit the A303 west on Friday, east on Sunday and into south Wales and back along the M4 Monday. No problems whatsoever apart from 5 minutes through the Bryn Glas Tunnels Monday evening, but that's not unusual. The traffic news had been buzzing with dire warnings all weekend but thankfully it appears to have come to nought on my routes anyway.
Pleased you all had good journeys on our overcrowded roads. I set off for Oulton yesterday at about 7-45 a.m. and all well until signs started to appear that the M62 was closed between J24 and J22 in both directions and the Beeb 2 traffic news was carrying the item. Just before J24 the traffic came to a stop and we took 15 minutes or so filtering off on to minor 'A' roads above Huddersfield creeping along between long stretches of no forward motion at all. Good job I carry a good road map and eventually rejoined M62 at J21 straight in to an 18 mile 50 mph zone. Crap. Finally arrived at Oulton at just after 11-00 a.m, an hour and a quarter late. At least the journey home was OK (except for the 50 mph zone). Seems like the morning problem was an 'incident' on the bridge over J23.
Closed Thread