Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Aug 2004, 10:56 (Ref:1059176)   #1
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BARC 22 Aug Snetterton incl Formula Woman

Not much going on on 22 Aug except Brands and Snetterton, so, if you aren't committed, why not come to Snetterton as they are quite short of bodies. Programmme includes Pickups and Formula Woman.
Contact is Karen at BARC "kcoddington@barc.net"
Old 9 Aug 2004, 12:17 (Ref:1060954)   #2
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now I know it's got Formula Woman on the bill I definitely won't offer my help. I will never support something so sexist! I'm sure a Formula Bloke would never be allowed!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 14:31 (Ref:1061083)   #3
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
You've got a point there Tracey. If they havn't got an equivilent "Formula Man" you have to question whether it'e right to disadvantage men in this way. I will now consider withdrawing.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 14:33 (Ref:1061084)   #4
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Considered it and have decided to go anyway. Wouldn't want the meeting to be called off because of lack of marshals and all those lovely ladies to have a wasted journey.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 14:38 (Ref:1061089)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Do you marshal because you like the race organisers or because you want to help the racers? Principles are fine thing and I can understand you not wanting to endorse sexism in any walk of life but the only people you will hurt by not attending are the drivers me thinks.
Over to you..............
Old 9 Aug 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1061123)   #6
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Quote from Formula Woman web site to clarify:

The Formula Woman Summer Series is a new seven-race motor racing series for female MSA licence holders which will take place from August to October this year. A fleet of race prepared versions of the new Mazda RX8 awaits the grid for this new all-women series.

The Series, will feature as ‘guest races’ at race meetings around the country, with BARC as the organising body.

The Formula Woman Summer Series calendar is lined up to be:

Snetterton race circuit August 22 Race 1
Donington race circuit August 28/29 Race 2 & 3
TBA September Race 4 & 5
Pembrey race circuit October 16/17 Race 6 & 7
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:31 (Ref:1061249)   #7
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
in response to Falcemob's comments, I had not initially volunteered for this meeting. I did consider going to help out, but as this is my husbands and I's first planned full free weekend from marshalling for months I had already made the decision to put my feet up and chill out at home rather than spend my time at a circuit. Finding this series to be on the bill confirmed my decision. My next full free weekend is in November!

I also do not consider this series a great boost to get women into racing - it could be seen as 'Women are so bad at this we better give them their own series to make them look better' which, going on some of the women coming through the ranks is not the case. I am not passing judgement on the ladies who are involved either, I have not seen any of them drive, so cannot comment on their abilities. I would sooner have seen Mazda/the series organiser setting up an all female team in eg Touring Cars, going against the blokes on an even playing field, and showing us how good they can be!

But this is off the topic of getting marshals to the event - hope you get as many bods as possible!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1061389)   #8
The Sweeper
Rookie

England
Leeds
The Sweeper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without getting into a "men are better that women at driving" argument. Formula Woman is not sexist. It's called formula woman because the only people that can enter are, funnily enough WOMEN. There isn't a "Formula Bloke" because as far as I know most disiplins are open to all sexes, it just happens to be that women don't appear to be too prevelent. I think the series is a bloody good idea to try and get you ladies into the sport at a half decent level.
Old 10 Aug 2004, 11:11 (Ref:1061984)   #9
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
[QUOTE]Originally posted by The Sweeper
[B] Formula Woman is not sexist. It's called formula woman because the only people that can enter are, funnily enough WOMEN.

So men aren't allowed. The Concise Oxford Dictionary describes sexism as 'prejudice or discrimination...on the grounds of sex' so based on that definition, F Woman IS sexist as men are the ones being discriminated against by nor being allowed to enter!!!

As stated previously, I don't feel a discussion of this matter is the intention of the thread, anyway!!!

Last edited by Tracey; 10 Aug 2004 at 11:12.
Old 23 Aug 2004, 23:19 (Ref:1075668)   #10
GT3
Racer

United Kingdom
King's Lynn, Norfolk
GT3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a good time at Snett on sunday despite no formula woman and being short on numbers.

But the two excellent Pickup races made up for it, some of the best racing i've seen for ages.

Despite several red flags still managed to finish fairly early.

Thanks BARC for a good meeting!
Old 24 Aug 2004, 06:54 (Ref:1075873)   #11
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless there is a bunch of posts missing something odd here.There is already a thread on FW,so I ignored this one after first post as only of interest to marshals.Hope no one went to Snetterton expecting to see FW,as nowhere does cancellation seem to have been reported.Just checked FW site and no mention of summer series there so it seems to have been quietly dropped.Not suprising no one could afford £30,000 for 4 meetings?
Old 24 Aug 2004, 10:51 (Ref:1076008)   #12
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Yes- it was a suprise to turn up and find the programme changed and no FW. As the clerks also were not aware until they turned up there were conversations about how there was time to get the programme printed ok but not to advise anyone.
That said, the other racing made up for it and drivers kindly filled the time by throwing cars around and generating oportunities for marshals to display red flags.
Old 24 Aug 2004, 13:25 (Ref:1076148)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pickups are fantastic aint they?