Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 15 Feb 2009, 19:28 (Ref:2397933)   #51
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
thebullet has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydpg
The white Anglia was Leslie Nash. I looked up in the programme and it's definately him. From the film I can see for a split second the number on the car (202).
Regarding my other English based films, I'm jusr working on some Italian ones then it's Crystal Palace (7.8.71), Mallory (8.8.71), Silverstone (14.8.71) and Brands (15,8,71). These should be on youtube in about a month. Big thing is that they have sound. Not just random sound of cars put there as a background but the real sound of what you see. A big thing for an amateur like me at the time. Hope you all enjoy and if tears of nostalgia are shed...good..

I so cannot wait.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 20:33 (Ref:2397966)   #52
ezwalk43
Rookie

ezwalk43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton 1970 "youtube"

Saw Les Nash race many times between 67-72 but always in purple Anglias usually with a yellow stripe. Maybe on this occasion he borrowed car which explains why he wasn't right at the front. Now Laurie Hickman was another top Anglia driver of the time with white car with various coloured stripes - best remember the Sid Taylor sponsored green striped version and also Terry McNally had white cars but just don't remember seeing this car white front half and dark back.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2398073)   #53
roydpg
Rookie

United Kingdom
LONDON
roydpg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If we are talking about the Anglia which is fourth, then it is n 202, Leslie Nash, for sure. The back bit is in fact purple. I can see it frame by frame on the dvd and there is no doubt.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 22:40 (Ref:2398082)   #54
roydpg
Rookie

United Kingdom
LONDON
sorry, further to my bit above, in the programme it does list 202 Nash as a purple car, although no doubt what I write above. Apart from the 2 red/yellow Anglias, the only other in the programme is 210, Tony White listed as White/Orange and you can see it in the film.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2398110)   #55
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
Can you see a red or gold mini in the Mallory or Silverstone videos? My grandad is Keith Barrington and I will be so so happy if he is in one of these videos, as I have been trying to trace his racing career for a while now. Is he listed in the program?

Thanks.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 09:16 (Ref:2398357)   #56
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Those darned Anglias

Tell you what, lets add even more confusion to the plot I had a purple Anglia, and that was ALL purple (or mauve) and then, Terry had a purple car with a chequered roof panel,and so did Les, but without the chequered roof.
But I am not in the Thruxton equasion, so thats me out.
No, matey to answer the question as to why Les didn't want to discuss the old days, wasn't because I used to beat him--anyone remember him having a "big off" coming out of Gerrards at Mallory Park? I was third at the time, it was quite early in the race, maybe lap three or four, and McNally was in front then Les, then me. Something happened and the two "kissed" and off went Les, along the outside grass at full chat, with me hanging back to see where he was going to end up! The next lap, and there's Les, mid track, waving his fist at ME!! All was made clear to him in the paddock immediately after the race. Let's just say it was all rather nasty for a short while, until the misunderstanding was clarified. I left Les to have a quiet discussion with Terry McNally.
Ah, how I miss the cut n' thrust of those weekends.
Old 16 Feb 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2398358)   #57
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
Gerry, are you in the Mallory and Silverstone Videos which are going to be put up?
Old 16 Feb 2009, 11:05 (Ref:2398408)   #58
roydpg
Rookie

United Kingdom
LONDON
I'm finishing off the Italian films which will go on you tube within the week. Then I'll be starting the English ones listed. I'm not sure who is on them untill I start looking at them. Just hold still on the grid untill I switch the lights to green. SORRY I meant untill I drop the flag...........
Old 16 Feb 2009, 13:13 (Ref:2398474)   #59
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
was that cos u spanked him each time?
Roy re F3 shunt did u see brands F3 GP support race 1976 shunt?
The big F3 shunt at Brands was 78 chaps, not 76. The big F1 shunt was 76 wasn't it...

I recall the Anglias, my little bro' is in touch with Trevor Cook, who also had one I think. Terry McNally used to live up the Hinckley Rd from me in Leicester Forest East, his was white with support from the CSMA I think.

Anyone recall Terry Barnes in an Anglia, he crashed it on the exit of Gerards at my 1970 'birthday treat' outing to MP. Broke his leg IIRC, and provided some good entertainment for a load of 8 year olds! My mum wrote to him in the Leicester Infirmary wishing him well, and thanking him for crashing right in front of us!
Old 16 Feb 2009, 14:27 (Ref:2398520)   #60
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
close but its Nakajima= same difference?
Brian Jones couldn't remember his name either

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiFbGmopMwY
Old 16 Feb 2009, 18:43 (Ref:2398618)   #61
ezwalk43
Rookie

ezwalk43 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton 1970 "youtube"

I also owned an ex Trevor Cook Anglia. Absolutely mint white with black roof and lotus green stripes and supposed to have been genuine Broadspeed car - it certainly had many one off Broadspeed touches like first bag tank (following Peter Proctor Goodwood crash), Broadspeed back end etc. Terry McNally raced numerous Anglias both club and BTCC (or RAC as it was then) white with chequered roof, gold, all white and even purple / silver / orange.
Great times as you say Gerry - even from where I was up on the bank! (and as you mentioned him earlier also bought Dennis Welch's Anglia as my first hot rod racer)
Old 16 Feb 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2398639)   #62
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Rear
The big F3 shunt at Brands was 78 chaps, not 76. The big F1 shunt was 76 wasn't it...

I recall the Anglias, my little bro' is in touch with Trevor Cook, who also had one I think. Terry McNally used to live up the Hinckley Rd from me in Leicester Forest East, his was white with support from the CSMA I think.

Anyone recall Terry Barnes in an Anglia, he crashed it on the exit of Gerards at my 1970 'birthday treat' outing to MP. Broke his leg IIRC, and provided some good entertainment for a load of 8 year olds! My mum wrote to him in the Leicester Infirmary wishing him well, and thanking him for crashing right in front of us!
If your brother gets a chance, ask hiom to give Trevor my regards.
Gerry. Thanks.
Old 21 Feb 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2401476)   #63
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
Looking through my grandads old programs, A silverstone program from the 3rd October 1971 at silverstone, Has a silverstone calender in it and for thr 14.8.71 is says BRSCC F5000.

So I take it my Grandad was not there.

If I find anything else I will let you know.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2402727)   #64
roydpg
Rookie

United Kingdom
LONDON
I've just started work on my "English" films. About 2 weeks and they should be ready for youtube. please don't forget I filmed as an amateur albeit as an enthusiast. So don't expect a Frankenheimer Grand Prix or a Steve McQueen Le Mans....
In the mean time, see if this warrants as a huge crash to rival the Brands one mentioned earlier. The quality is very poor and I'm not going to bore you with the reason. Also Part 1 of the same meeting is worth seing. Lots of stuff from the pits . Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz2lz0hdv-M

Part 2 (THE crash) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPU8mIdr67A
Old 23 Feb 2009, 22:46 (Ref:2402773)   #65
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ciao Roy
Molte Grazie !!!
just watched part 1 now for 2
great footage of cars in their heyday
i was flicking thru 1975 AS race reports last night who do i find a photo of having spun away the lead at Brands in the FFord race november 18 ish
Yes it was YOU
Old 23 Feb 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2402791)   #66
roydpg
Rookie

United Kingdom
LONDON
Wow... what a fantastic bit of detective work, but not one of my finest moments.....

Let me know what you think of part 2
Cheers
Roy
Old 23 Feb 2009, 23:34 (Ref:2402806)   #67
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
looked at part 2
classic case of
"when motor racing was dangeorus and sex was safe!"
unbelieeble now to think race goes n while they extract a car/driver
ive seen races stopped over the silliest of incidents
Old 24 Feb 2009, 08:07 (Ref:2402951)   #68
roydpg
Rookie

United Kingdom
LONDON
yes about the race continuing, but also see how marshals are dressed? Pretty blue and red shirt and trousers...? No one standing by with an extinguisher....Driver trapped and if the thing caught fire....well times have changed....
Old 11 Mar 2009, 19:46 (Ref:2413837)   #69
roydpg
Rookie

United Kingdom
LONDON
Gerry, good news for you. I filmed you at Mallory 8.8.1971. Do you remember a crash between George Hard (White Mini Clubman), Will Lawrence (Blue Mini) and a gold Mini entered by Alan Turner (driver tbn in the programme)? It was at the end of Stebbe straight and you were on the short circuit. Got the whole thing filmed, shortly on Youtube.
Old 11 Mar 2009, 19:58 (Ref:2413844)   #70
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydpg View Post
Gerry, good news for you. I filmed you at Mallory 8.8.1971. Do you remember a crash between George Hard (White Mini Clubman), Will Lawrence (Blue Mini) and a gold Mini entered by Alan Turner (driver tbn in the programme)? It was at the end of Stebbe straight and you were on the short circuit. Got the whole thing filmed, shortly on Youtube.
YES!!! My that takes me back Roy. George Hard was a friend from way back then. I shall get my popcorn, and get comfy and am looking forward to it. Thanks matey. I have pm'd you.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2414124)   #71
roydpg
Rookie

United Kingdom
LONDON
You ask if it's a wind up. Absolutely not. Mallory 8.8.71 and if you are in contact with George Hard I'm sure he'll want to see his crash......Don't expect to see much of you though. It's just a glimpse but definately you. I still got the original programme. I'll pm you when it's ready on youtube or you can subscribe to my spot. The nickname is the same as I use here roydpg Dunno exactly when it's ready, about 2 weeks.
Old 12 Mar 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2414460)   #72
roydpg
Rookie

United Kingdom
LONDON
CRYSTAL PALACE 1971

http://www.youtube.com/my_videos_edi...sq%3D%26dm%3D1
Old 13 Mar 2009, 07:20 (Ref:2414729)   #73
thebullet
Veteran

England
Leamington Spa
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydpg View Post
This will be interesting. If you still have the program, Is Keith Barrington in it?

Thanks alot.
Old 13 Mar 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2414752)   #74
roydpg
Rookie

United Kingdom
LONDON
No Keith Barrington not in the programme
Old 13 Mar 2009, 15:22 (Ref:2414971)   #75
Patrick Sumner
Rookie

Patrick Sumner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roy, What wonderful film and I think your film archive is fantastic, they are so nostalgic and reminded me just how relaxed and available to spectators racing was back then. In particular your pit and paddock footage is so good, such access is just a memory now. What a record. It may have been dangerous back then but at least we could make our own minds up, so sterile now!

I'm assuming you used Super 8 or is it 16mm? Was the sound in the camera or on a separate machine?

Patrick Sumner